Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PBF Has Been Pursuing Fights With Mosley Since 1999
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
torvix2000
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 18 2009, 01:16 AM) [snapback]428599[/snapback]

LOL! So make the fight happen now. It's written. They can. Now! Forget about the past. It's gay or girly to say somebody turned you down that's why you'll no longer bother. LOL!
Sugar Q
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Mar 17 2009, 09:25 PM) [snapback]428602[/snapback]
LOL! So make the fight happen now. It's written. They can. Now! Forget about the past. It's gay or girly to say somebody turned you down that's why you'll no longer bother. LOL!

I think the fight will definately happen.
STEVENSKI
PBF is the coolest ever.
Mean Mister Mustard
I wonder if Mayweather is half inside SugarQ or in balls deep.

Nah I'm kidding man. But seriously like Torvix said, make the fight happen now. This isn't a schoolyard feud where he said this and the other guy said that.
thehype
Who cares? Winky Wright has been pursuing fights with Oscar De La Hoya since 1999 too...big deal!

He's got the opportunity now so he just shut up and fight!

On a side note, I didn't really like that whole spin on "few African-Americans ever calling out Mayweather."

And?

What the fvck does that have to do with anything?

Is there some unspoken code that Mosley broke or something? What the hell was it even brought up for?

I mean, exactly how many African-Americans actually fought at lightweight or jr. welterweight when Mayweather was fighting there? Hell, how many African-Americans are even fighting at welterweight right now? I can only think of two, Mosley and Judah, off the top of my head...I guess you can say Paul Williams too assuming he can still suck down to 147...and all 3 of them have called him out.

That was whack!

Sigh! Man how miss the days of Hagler vs. Hearns, Hagler vs. Leonard, Leonard vs. Hearns, Holyfield vs. Tyson, Holyfield vs. Bowe, Hopkins vs. Jones, Jones vs. Toney, Ali vs. Frazier, Ali vs. Foreman, etc.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(thehype @ Mar 17 2009, 11:12 PM) [snapback]428622[/snapback]
Who cares? Winky Wright has been pursuing fights with Oscar De La Hoya since 1999 too...big deal!

He's got the opportunity now so he just shut up and fight!

On a side note, I didn't really like that whole spin on "few African-Americans ever calling out Mayweather."

And?

What the fvck does that have to do with anything?

Is there some unspoken code that Mosley broke or something? What the hell was it even brought up for?

I mean, exactly how many African-Americans actually fought at lightweight or jr. welterweight when Mayweather was fighting there? Hell, how many African-Americans are even fighting at welterweight right now? I can only think of two, Mosley and Judah, off the top of my head...I guess you can say Paul Williams too assuming he can still suck down to 147...and all 3 of them have called him out.

That was whack!

Sigh! Man how miss the days of Hagler vs. Hearns, Hagler vs. Leonard, Leonard vs. Hearns, Holyfield vs. Tyson, Holyfield vs. Bowe, Hopkins vs. Jones, Jones vs. Toney, Ali vs. Frazier, Ali vs. Foreman, etc.

Didn't the guy who wrote the artilce the same person who was arrested for having a shitload of weedplants?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 17 2009, 09:22 PM) [snapback]428614[/snapback]
I wonder if Mayweather is half inside SugarQ or in balls deep.

Nah I'm kidding man. But seriously like Torvix said, make the fight happen now. This isn't a schoolyard feud where he said this and the other guy said that.

to me mayweather vs. mosely is a fight that is a better late than never kind of fight.. truth is it is not them fighting at the very top of their skills... they should have fought at lightweight years ago... thats not to say its not a good fight now but it would have been a classic when mayweather was at 130 and mosely at 135 and mayweather was calling him out.. ultimately they both went on the same delahoya money train ride... robbing us fans at the time of one of the best fights that could have been made in probably the last 30 or so years of boxing...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 17 2009, 10:14 PM) [snapback]428623[/snapback]
Didn't the guy who wrote the artilce the same person who was arrested for having a shitload of weedplants?

is he the guy?... he has no shame if it is...
JD
Good news, Mosley is without an opponent and the fight is in high demand right now.

thehype
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 17 2009, 11:19 PM) [snapback]428626[/snapback]
is he the guy?... he has no shame if it is...

Yep...that's the same guy.

I wonder who the "source" is...probably the guy that gave him his seeds.

laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(thehype @ Mar 17 2009, 10:39 PM) [snapback]428631[/snapback]
Yep...that's the same guy.

I wonder who the "source" is...probably the guy that gave him his seeds.

laugh.gif

i'm not knockin him for smoking.. i dont smoke myself.. i'm around it quite a bit but i'm not saying i smoke the doja...lol... i'm just around it thats all... lol.. but really an truley i hear california is aboutto legalize mary j... has anyone else heard that?
dbdbdb
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 17 2009, 11:23 PM) [snapback]428629[/snapback]
Good news, Mosley is without an opponent and the fight is in high demand right now.

From what I've read * ... Mosley wanted Cotto -- But Cotto is biting on the Clottey fight in June. So, Mosley is currently without a dance partner. Until the Hatton vs Pac-man fight -- which he's hoping to get the winner. If he really wants to fight someone and doesn't want to wait for Floyd to un-retire, he should call out Williams. Williams will fight him tomorrow for free. laugh.gif

* = h00p://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=19112&more=1
King Eugene
I like Mosley and I'm a huge fan of Mosley but I think he is riding high off his fight with Margarito the same way Margarito was riding off of the Cotto fight. Lets not forget Shane didnt look all that good against his two opponents before Margarito. That could have been one of those "every fighter has one good fight left in him" fights. I hope not but its a possibility.

I think him and Floyd would be real competitive but Floyd would outbox his way to a decision.

I hope Mosley picks his next opponent carefully. I wouldn't mind seeing him in there with Berto. His style is somewhat similar to Mayweathers so it would be good to see how Mosley fairs against him.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 18 2009, 01:03 AM) [snapback]428649[/snapback]
Let's not forget that Zab didn't look all that good against Baldomir.

Ok, and your point is...?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(3King3 @ Mar 18 2009, 12:58 AM) [snapback]428648[/snapback]
I like Mosley and I'm a huge fan of Mosley but I think he is riding high off his fight with Margarito the same way Margarito was riding off of the Cotto fight. Lets not forget Shane didnt look all that good against his two opponents before Margarito. That could have been one of those "every fighter has one good fight left in him" fights. I hope not but its a possibility.

I think him and Floyd would be real competitive but Floyd would outbox his way to a decision.

I hope Mosley picks his next opponent carefully. I wouldn't mind seeing him in there with Berto. His style is somewhat similar to Mayweathers so it would be good to see how Mosley fairs against him.

Lets also not forget he did not have Naz in his corner, and also Jin is out of the picture too. But I agree at his age, he should capitalize on his last fight real soon. I hope he does not wait too long to fight again. I would absolutely love for him and Mayweather to fight next, but I just do not see it. I seriously want to see what Shane looks like in his next fight, to see if the Marg fight was his last great hurrah. Personally, I think he is going to stomp everyone in his way. I just see him re-energized and wanting to prove his greatness. Maybe I am wrong putting too much stock into the fight with AM?

I just want to hear some type of announcement soon to who Cotto, PBF, Berto and Shane are fighting next. I do not think I have the patience to wait till May to see the outcome of Pac-Hatton to hear from either of these fighters. Lets hope the boxing powers will make this an amazing year of welterweight match-ups.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 18 2009, 01:10 AM) [snapback]428652[/snapback]
Nevermind. I thought you were implying that they shouldn't fight, or Mosley has some cheek to want the fight because he is riding off one win.

Oh...nah I want Mosley to keep fighting and I would love to see him fight either Mayweather or Williams.

What I was implying was he may not still be as good as some are making him out to be cause of the way he dismantled Margarito. All it took was for the right style and boxer to come a long and do that. It was just a matter of time before it happened anyway. I just want people to remember and realize how Shane looked before Margarito.

Yet I still take nothing away from the Margarito win cause it was huge for Shane.
STEVENSKI
I want to see Mayweather dead in the street. There is more chance of that than him fighting anyone with a pulse so I may just get lucky.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I'm with Steve, I'm not missing Mayweather too much at this point.

Lets face it, if/when he comes back it will only be to repeat the pattern he set for the last 3rd of his career, only takes on fights that are the most winnable for the least risk. The only fight I'd like to see him take is Williams but you know he's come back to feed on a diet of JMM, Hatton, Pac-man or Mosley (who I pick to give him the most problems of those just listed).
torvix2000
Yeah! He should stay retired if he's going to just repeat that pattern.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Mar 18 2009, 03:46 AM) [snapback]428668[/snapback]
Yeah! He should stay retired if he's going to just repeat that pattern.

Well you know it to be true.

He didn't change his name to 'Legacy' Mayweather he changed it to 'Money' Mayweather. That's a pretty big clue right there.
Spyder
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Mar 18 2009, 03:36 AM) [snapback]428667[/snapback]
I'm with Steve, I'm not missing Mayweather too much at this point.

Lets face it, if/when he comes back it will only be to repeat the pattern he set for the last 3rd of his career, only takes on fights that are the most winnable for the least risk. The only fight I'd like to see him take is Williams but you know he's come back to feed on a diet of JMM, Hatton, Pac-man or Mosley (who I pick to give him the most problems of those just listed).

Are you joking with this post?

I'm kind of tired right now, so I might be missing the sarcasm...but it reads to me like you think JMM, Pac-man, or Mosley are shit fights. dntknw.gif
Spyder
That's bullshit.

Floyd moved up to 147 just like Pac did, and just like JMM would. They are the three best fighters in the world, not matter how much they weigh...

The only fight that I would consider a shit fight would be the Hatton rematch. (of those listed of course)
JD
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Mar 18 2009, 12:23 AM) [snapback]428641[/snapback]
From what I've read * ... Mosley wanted Cotto -- But Cotto is biting on the Clottey fight in June. So, Mosley is currently without a dance partner. Until the Hatton vs Pac-man fight -- which he's hoping to get the winner. If he really wants to fight someone and doesn't want to wait for Floyd to un-retire, he should call out Williams. Williams will fight him tomorrow for free. laugh.gif

Mosley does want Cotto, but he will not fight him at the Garden again...which eliminated the June date.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 18 2009, 08:13 AM) [snapback]428678[/snapback]
Mosley does want Cotto, but he will not fight him at the Garden again...which eliminated the June date.

Purely out of curiousity: Did Mosley ever state publicly WHY he doesn't want to fight Cotto in MSG again. Its pretty much guarenteed to be a sell-out.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Mar 18 2009, 10:15 AM) [snapback]428680[/snapback]
Purely out of curiousity: Did Mosley ever state publicly WHY he doesn't want to fight Cotto in MSG again. Its pretty much guarenteed to be a sell-out.

I heard that Bob Arum and Cotto just don't wanna risk losing and that is the only reason why this fight isn't happening. Patrons from the parade will not judge the fight and NY is not so pro Cotto that they would wanna award him a fight he didn't win. I heard Shane say in a radio interview that he would like the fight right now.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 18 2009, 01:22 AM) [snapback]428657[/snapback]
Agreed. I would pick Mayweather over Mosley without too much thought at this point. Still want to see Mayweather fight Mosley, Cotto or Williams though, as I'm not like Mayweather fans and think he shouldn't have to fight anyone because he beats them on paper though.

For the record I am a PBF, Shane and Cotto fan. I would love to see Shane and Cotto fight and the winner take on PBF for the true P4P right because Pacquiao/Hatton doesn't stand a chance with either of them. It would really clean up the artificial P4P controversy.
JD
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Mar 18 2009, 10:15 AM) [snapback]428680[/snapback]

Probably because it is like fighting Cotto in his own backyard.

Mosley has stated publicly that he wants the fight, but no MSG is the catch. I believe it was Rafael he said it to.

Here...I can't find the Rafael interview, but it is noted here:

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Benz/Benz_021309.htm

With Antonio Margarito out of the picture for the next year over alleged illegal hand wraps, a rematch with Miguel Cotto in the near future seems highly unlikely. With Margarito no longer a viable option, Shane Mosley has indicated he'd love to take Margarito's place and avenge a close decision loss back in 2007 to Cotto at NY's Madison Square Garden.

Although Mosley wants a rematch with Cotto, there is a Catch. The Catch? Mosley won't take the rematch if it's held again in New York (considered Cotto's home turf.)

Mosley recently tells Dan Rafael of ESPN.com that he is not willing to have a rematch with Cotto in New York again. "I won't be flying into New York if there's a rematch," said Mosley to ESPN, adding: "They'll be coming to Las Vegas or Los Angeles. He can fight in New York in June, but it won't be with me. This time, it will have to be on the West side. But I definitely want to fight Cotto again."
dbdbdb
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 18 2009, 11:58 AM) [snapback]428685[/snapback]
Probably because it is like fighting Cotto in his own backyard.

Mosley has stated publicly that he wants the fight, but no MSG is the catch. I believe it was Rafael he said it to.

Here...I can't find the Rafael interview, but it is noted here:

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Benz/Benz_021309.htm

With Antonio Margarito out of the picture for the next year over alleged illegal hand wraps, a rematch with Miguel Cotto in the near future seems highly unlikely. With Margarito no longer a viable option, Shane Mosley has indicated he'd love to take Margarito's place and avenge a close decision loss back in 2007 to Cotto at NY's Madison Square Garden.

Although Mosley wants a rematch with Cotto, there is a Catch. The Catch? Mosley won't take the rematch if it's held again in New York (considered Cotto's home turf.)

Mosley recently tells Dan Rafael of ESPN.com that he is not willing to have a rematch with Cotto in New York again. "I won't be flying into New York if there's a rematch," said Mosley to ESPN, adding: "They'll be coming to Las Vegas or Los Angeles. He can fight in New York in June, but it won't be with me. This time, it will have to be on the West side. But I definitely want to fight Cotto again."

Thanks JD,

Those comments suggest that Mosley believed the surroundings played a role in Cotto getting the nod {However small} in their first fight. And would like to have the second fight on NEUTRAL ground.

And it goes further to question how favorable the surrounding will be towards Clottey in June. I'm going to watch this fight closely ..... Cotto doesn't need to receive gifts, just because he's Puerto Rican and his fight is on their holiday.
JD
I mean, it is no secret that fighting Cotto the night before the PR parade in New York isn't exactly what I would call a neutral location. Hell, any time you fight Cotto at MSG it isn't a neutral site.

I do not blame Mosley in the least...nor do I blame Cotto since he is locked in to MSG in June.

Hopefully it comes off later.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 18 2009, 01:40 PM) [snapback]428699[/snapback]
I mean, it is no secret that fighting Cotto the night before the PR parade in New York isn't exactly what I would call a neutral location. Hell, any time you fight Cotto at MSG it isn't a neutral site.

I do not blame Mosley in the least...nor do I blame Cotto since he is locked in to MSG in June.

Hopefully it comes off later.

I didn't take it that way. I thought he meant this time the fight will be on his terms and his terms would mean fighting out west but nevertheless as long as it happens It's cool.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 18 2009, 05:56 AM) [snapback]428673[/snapback]
Are you joking with this post?

I'm kind of tired right now, so I might be missing the sarcasm...but it reads to me like you think JMM, Pac-Man, or Mosley are shit fights. dntknw.gif

No, no sarcasm I happen to think the smaller JMM and Pac-Man would be an easy night's work for PBF at 147. JMM was in a life and death struggle with Diaz who although is a great little fighter doesn't possess anywhere near PBF's skill set.

It would be too easy for PBF to sit on the outside against both guys (Manny and JMM) and use his superior speed to potshot them to death.

Don't get me wrong I think they are both great fighters I just don't see them as being competitive to a guy who looked pretty comfotrable dancing with De la Hoya at 154.

I'd actually pick Cotto to give him a tougher fight.
JD
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 18 2009, 03:33 PM) [snapback]428710[/snapback]
I didn't take it that way. I thought he meant this time the fight will be on his terms and his terms would mean fighting out west but nevertheless as long as it happens It's cool.

I just took it as he would not fight Cotto at the Garden no matter what.

I mean, I think Mosley wants the fight, just not at the Garden...Cotto is married to the Garden for the June date, so it is what it is for now. I don't think it is on either guy that the fight isn't coming off.
Spyder
Manny was MUCH more convincing against Oscar than Floyd was...that was at 147.

I'm not one of those guys that thinks because of that he'll beat Floyd, but I do think that it makes Manny a VERY live dog.

...and with Manny's aggressive style, I give him a better shot at PBF than Cotto.

JMM might be too small to be effective, but he is an EXCELLENT couter-puncher...and a tough SOB. That might be the ticket needed to beat Floyd as well.

Cotto is strong, tough, has good skills, and goes hard to the body. That gives him a great case, but he can also be lulled into a boxing match. NO WAY IN HELL does Cotto ever outbox Floyd. EVER.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 18 2009, 03:33 PM) [snapback]428710[/snapback]

Close .... I believe that Mosley wants the next fight with Cotto to be, not only on his terms {Since he's the Top Dog} but in an arena where the possibility of favoritism is slim to none. And MSG on PR Day isn't the way to go.

QUOTE(JD @ Mar 18 2009, 03:53 PM) [snapback]428713[/snapback]
I just took it as he would not fight Cotto at the Garden no matter what.

I mean, I think Mosley wants the fight, just not at the Garden...Cotto is married to the Garden for the June date, so it is what it is for now. I don't think it is on either guy that the fight isn't coming off.

Definately!!! Mosley believes he has the answer to defeat Cotto and the farther away from MSG the better. He doesn't want anyone in a position to rob him with a weird decision. I think the Margarito fight has elevated Mosley's confidence to a new level and he wants to take full advantgage of it.

QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 18 2009, 04:00 PM) [snapback]428714[/snapback]
Manny was MUCH more convincing against Oscar than Floyd was...that was at 147.

I'm not one of those guys that thinks because of that he'll beat Floyd, but I do think that it makes Manny a VERY live dog.

...and with Manny's aggressive style, I give him a better shot at PBF than Cotto.

JMM might be too small to be effective, but he is an EXCELLENT couter-puncher...and a tough SOB. That might be the ticket needed to beat Floyd as well.

Cotto is strong, tough, has good skills, and goes hard to the body. That gives him a great case, but he can also be lulled into a boxing match. NO WAY IN HELL does Cotto ever outbox Floyd. EVER.

Marquez has the wrong style to beat Floyd, IMHO. Marquez will {much too often} let his opponents dictate the tempo of the fight and counter off that tempo. That isn't a good stradegy with someone who if very effective at slipping and moving.

Pac-Man still has the bad habit of jumping in with shots {Due to his size disadvantgage} and against an excellent counter-puncher, that can prove costly and deadly. Manny has very good head & body movement, which will offset some of what Floyd can do. But the habit of lunging\jumping in, will put Manny in the position to get caught and caught often.

Cotto, was advised by Arum to study Floyd when Floyd was still a Light WW. And because of that, you saw Cotto at alot of Floyd fights. {Bruseles, Gatti} As a matter of fact Cotto was the priniciple sparring partner for Bruseles, to get him ready for Floyd. And Floyd destroyed Bruseles. WHY DID I MENTION THESE FACTS???

Floyd will have a serious mental edge over Cotto, if they were to meet. Especially since Cotto may still have unknown issues stemming from the Margarito fight. Floyd will eat Cotto alive in the middle of the ring ... IMHO ... The only chance Cotto has, is if Floyd starts playing around because the fight is going his way early and starts playing the ropes. That is where Cotto can lay the power on him and hurt him badly. But if Cotto makes the severe mistake of trying to prove that he's a better BOXER now that time has passed and he's come into his own -- that will be his downfall. And Floyd will stick, counter and move all night.

Just a thought!!!!!
!
Spyder
I agree with you, but that doesn't make Manny, JMM, or Cotto for that matter...shit fights.
WolfishPromistah
"What I was implying was he may not still be as good as some are making him out to be cause of the way he dismantled Margarito. All it took was for the right style and boxer to come a long and do that. It was just a matter of time before it happened anyway. I just want people to remember and realize how Shane looked before Margarito."

He looked danged good before Margarito, I think, after watching that fight against Mayorga a couple more times. He was facing a tough, awkward and strong opponent, who in fact took more of Shane's punishment than Tony Margarito (up into the last minute, mind you), showing again that Ricardo Mayorga did have a fine chin, as he's been given credit for quite a bit.

In his fight against Mosely, Mayorga showed improvement in his game, and outside of all his antics of playing to the crowd for support, while basically only tooting his own horn alone in the process, Shane was winning up until the stoppage. And that margin of winning, though maybe not as much as we would have liked for Shane to have held, was still there for many to see as the most likely scenario by fight's end.

I will say it: that evening, Ricardo fought what was definitely the most technically sound fight of his career, and he'll never match that again.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 18 2009, 04:48 PM) [snapback]428716[/snapback]
I agree with you, but that doesn't make Manny, JMM, or Cotto for that matter...shit fights.

I don't think any of these ELITE fighters would make a shit fight. They are the cream of the crop, but each {Under certain circumstances} would be disadvantgaged in higher weight classes.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 18 2009, 06:30 PM) [snapback]428731[/snapback]
Yes he moved up to 147. That welter weight, 147. So what's the problem with fighting other 147 fighters? If he wants to fight those guys, why not move down to 140 and fight those guys closer to there prime weight? Don't you think it would be stupid to see Dawson and Johnson move up to heavyweight to fight a rematch? I don't understand the point.
If Mayweather wants to fight small guys, what's he doing hanging around 147? Move down, and let the big men fight each other and play with the smaller guys else where. Mayweather would man handle Marquez, and beat him in similar fashion as to what he did to Hatton and some of the few fighters he gave proper beatings to.
Marquez has skill, but he is smaller and weaker than Mayweather in everyway, and Mayweather probably won't respect the power all too much either. He beats him down, just let it happen in a weight class that's closer to both Marquez and Mayweather's prime, that goes the same if he decides to fight Pacquiao.

You know something Fitz,

That is the problem you encounter when you have fighters moving up to fight this one and moving down to fight another. Where is the barometer???

If guys are willing to move up or down to make that paper, then they should also, be willing to take the ass-whipping that comes along with that move.

It becomes a bizaar situation, because there IS NO REGULATION anymore. Fighter's can fight who they want, and at the weight they want anytime they want.

So, since you have that type of enviroment where there are no rules, then the rules that the fighters agree to become the rule. And if someone is willing to come up to my weight class to fight me, because of the financial gains, then he and everyone else should accept it when I open up a large can of whip-ass on him.
laugh.gif
D-MARV
The only reason why Floyd moved up to 147 is to fight De La Hoya. Thats why he retired after the fight. Then Hatton came calling and that was another easy 15-20 million.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 18 2009, 06:12 PM) [snapback]428738[/snapback]
The only reason why Floyd moved up to 147 is to fight De La Hoya. Thats why he retired after the fight. Then Hatton came calling and that was another easy 15-20 million.

thats all it was.. why cant other people see that for whati t is.. we can talk an talk bout pbf fighting this one an that one but unless he really is financially strapped and he has no other alternative we probably wont see him fight again... the only thing that will bring back his hunger is money... and a real need for it.. i think all the money problem talk is started by his people to make people talk... he can sell all his cars and still live like a king...
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 18 2009, 07:12 PM) [snapback]428738[/snapback]

I dont think Ellerbee could have said it better himself. LOL

But with that said, if he does fight one of those smaller guys I could see the argument of him coming down and meeting them halfway. I mean Oscar did it with Pac-Man but he wouldn't do it with Floyd. It all depends on what the main cash cow prefers. If he is the one generating the most money for the fight then I could see why he would want to call the shots as far as rules and stipulation. DLH does it all the time. But as fans we just want to see everything met straight down the middle so there are no advantages.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(3King3 @ Mar 18 2009, 08:58 PM) [snapback]428754[/snapback]
I dont think Ellerbee could have said it better himself. LOL

But with that said, if he does fight one of those smaller guys I could see the argument of him coming down and meeting them halfway. I mean Oscar did it with Pac-Man but he wouldn't do it with Floyd. It all depends on what the main cash cow prefers. If he is the one generating the most money for the fight then I could see why he would want to call the shots as far as rules and stipulation. DLH does it all the time. But as fans we just want to see everything met straight down the middle so there are no advantages.

The problem is their calling him out and saying they wanna challenge him but I don't see any reason why Floyd wouldn't agree to come in at 144-145 which shouldn't make a difference. Great fighters always say it's just weight. It's all about skill. Sugar Ray Robinson weighed in at 157 1/2 when he fought for the Lt-heavy-wt title. Ray Leonard weighted 165 when he fought for the Lt-heavy title.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 18 2009, 09:11 PM) [snapback]428755[/snapback]
The problem is their calling him out and saying they wanna challenge him but I don't see any reason why Floyd wouldn't agree to come in at 144-145 which shouldn't make a difference. Great fighters always say it's just weight. It's all about skill. Sugar Ray Robinson weighed in at 157 1/2 when he fought for the Lt-heavy-wt title. Ray Leonard weighted 165 when he fought for the Lt-heavy title.

Yea I see what your saying but at the same time they are calling him out and not the other way around. If you want a piece of me, you come and get me. Not I come to you. Thats just how I look at it. Mayweather went up to fight Gatti and he went up to fight DLH. He called them out and went on their terms. But like I said I see what your saying as they should meet somewhere in between. I just agree with it that way. Now if he was calling them out I'd be the first to say he should drop the weight to challenge them.
torvix2000
Mayweather should stay retired.
D-MARV
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Mar 18 2009, 10:05 PM) [snapback]428759[/snapback]
Mayweather should stay retired.

I personally think Floyd is "GOOD" for boxing. He plays the role of the villian well.
Spyder
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 18 2009, 06:30 PM) [snapback]428731[/snapback]
Yes he moved up to 147. That welter weight, 147. So what's the problem with fighting other 147 fighters? If he wants to fight those guys, why not move down to 140 and fight those guys closer to there prime weight? Don't you think it would be stupid to see Dawson and Johnson move up to heavyweight to fight a rematch? I don't understand the point.
If Mayweather wants to fight small guys, what's he doing hanging around 147? Move down, and let the big men fight each other and play with the smaller guys else where. Mayweather would man handle Marquez, and beat him in similar fashion as to what he did to Hatton and some of the few fighters he gave proper beatings to.
Marquez has skill, but he is smaller and weaker than Mayweather in everyway, and Mayweather probably won't respect the power all too much either. He beats him down, just let it happen in a weight class that's closer to both Marquez and Mayweather's prime, that goes the same if he decides to fight Pacquiao.

They are ALL little guys.

Manny is small. JMM is small. FLOYD is small. The point is that no one will have a size advantage no matter what weight they fight at, so why make them train to make a weight purely for that purpose. I would much rather see them train to fight, and be at their best.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 18 2009, 10:37 PM) [snapback]428767[/snapback]
They are ALL little guys.

Manny is small. JMM is small. FLOYD is small. The point is that no one will have a size advantage no matter what weight they fight at, so why make them train to make a weight purely for that purpose. I would much rather see them train to fight, and be at their best.

Great point but it will never work out that easy.
frankypc
What i found surprising of the article is that Winky is black...is he the Sinbad of boxing?
Spyder
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 18 2009, 11:12 PM) [snapback]428778[/snapback]
You want to see them train to fight and be at their best? Yeah, I can imagine the 147 version of Marquez being better than any version of Marquez we have seen. rolleyes_anim.gif

Do you understand the difference between training to fight, and training to cut weight?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.