Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why the hell is Chris Byrd fighting again?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Romulus9
Don't get me wrong, I've always been a fan of Chris. Unique fighter, did the absolute most with what he had in a division that wasn't even really his. Won belts, drove people crazy, operated with class, put up with that loudmouth shrew of a wife at ringside....

but why is he back NOW? You'd think that last fight would have been a wake-up call. He's lost 3 of his last 4 by KO. Was that last showing just a result of going too far down in weight too quickly (Jones-Ruiz to Jones-Tarver II, etc.) or was it a revelation of a shot fighter who has just given and taken too much through his career.

Either way... WHY?

That said, I hope he wins today against his 4-3 light heavyweight opponent, and I wish him nothing but the best.
Thegreatequalizer
i guess he won. maybe he'll get a fight with roy jones and they can double ko each other. slowly.
JLUVBABY
i just read where chris byrd is calling out adamek.. he is asking for a beating...
King Eugene
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 22 2009, 08:12 PM) [snapback]429319[/snapback]
i just read where chris byrd is calling out adamek.. he is asking for a beating...

A serious beat down!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 22 2009, 08:12 PM) [snapback]429319[/snapback]

Screw Chris Byrd, try earning a title fight. You got destroyed by George(I think thats his name), and now you beat a guy with a 4-3 record. Fighters get so delusional as they get older and take more beatings. Yeah, like anyone is interested in you fighting the best cruiserweight in the world. So because Roy Jones just beat shopworm Omar Shieka, he is next in line for Dawson? To be honest, the only entertaining fights he has been in is was with Ike, Wlad, and George where he got clobbered. Actually, when he made Vitali quit was entertaining too when he won.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2009, 08:55 PM) [snapback]429330[/snapback]
Screw Chris Byrd, try earning a title fight. You got destroyed by George(I think thats his name), and now you beat a guy with a 4-3 record. Fighters get so delusional as they get older and take more beatings. Yeah, like anyone is interested in you fighting the best cruiserweight in the world. So because Roy Jones just beat shopworm Omar Shieka, he is next in line for Dawson? To be honest, the only entertaining fights he has been in is was with Ike, Wlad, and George where he got clobbered. Actually, when he made Vitali quit was entertaining too when he won.

WHOA...where did you hear that at? Or was you just saying...?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(3King3 @ Mar 22 2009, 09:08 PM) [snapback]429334[/snapback]
WHOA...where did you hear that at? Or was you just saying...?

Just saying. Just using an anology. Roy should have to beat a credible top 5 type opponent to be taking seriously if he wanted to challenge Dawson. Seriously, would anyone have any interest in Byrd fighting Adamek? He beat a guy who was 4-3, and now he should be next for the best cruiserweight of the world? Byrd's punches would feel like knats to Tomas. I would bet my house on Tomas if they were to fight. Byrd really annoys me I guess.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2009, 09:20 PM) [snapback]429338[/snapback]
Just saying. Just using an anology. Roy should have to beat a credible top 5 type opponent to be taking seriously if he wanted to challenge Dawson. Seriously, would anyone have any interest in Byrd fighting Adamek? He beat a guy who was 4-3, and now he should be next for the best cruiserweight of the world? Byrd's punches would feel like knats to Tomas. I would bet my house on Tomas if they were to fight. Byrd really annoys me I guess.

I thought Adamek was fighting Bernard?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2009, 07:55 PM) [snapback]429330[/snapback]

his knockout loss to ike ibeabuchi was entertaining too.. ike damn near took his head off... speaking of ibeabuchi i still say he would have been king had he not gone to the pen... he was a monster..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2009, 08:20 PM) [snapback]429338[/snapback]

to me the way roy looked last night most top light heavies take him out or beat him but he just looks shaky to me... asa fan of a prime jones i hate to see him fight on.. there will come a tiime where he will have to step up and we will watch him get stopped again or beat up pretty bad...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(3King3 @ Mar 22 2009, 09:28 PM) [snapback]429339[/snapback]
I thought Adamek was fighting Bernard?

Yeah, I heard that too. That would be a good fight, I would definately give the edge to Hopkins though by decision. I would not mind seeing him fight Cunningham again too. Just keep Byrd out of the picture.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 22 2009, 09:42 PM) [snapback]429342[/snapback]
to me the way roy looked last night most top light heavies take him out or beat him but he just looks shaky to me... asa fan of a prime jones i hate to see him fight on.. there will come a tiime where he will have to step up and we will watch him get stopped again or beat up pretty bad...

Did not see the fight, but after seeing him in with Joe, Roy is a shell of himself. I have always been a huge fan of his too. Roy needs to be carefully matched if he wants to fight on. I am sure there are plenty of fighters he can still beat though, just certain ones he needs to stay clear of. Now if he wants to keep fighting lesser fighters, more power to him, as long as he does not claim to be the "Man". If he wants a title shot, it would be nice if he earned it the ring, and not just because his name is Roy Jones Jr.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 22 2009, 08:51 PM) [snapback]429344[/snapback]
Did not see the fight, but after seeing him in with Joe, Roy is a shell of himself. I have always been a huge fan of his too. Roy needs to be carefully matched if he wants to fight on. I am sure there are plenty of fighters he can still beat though, just certain ones he needs to stay clear of. Now if he wants to keep fighting lesser fighters, more power to him, as long as he does not claim to be the "Man". If he wants a title shot, it would be nice if he earned it the ring, and not just because his name is Roy Jones Jr.

i look at the top ten and i dont see a fighter i would favor him to beat... a title shot equals a ko loss for jones.. i hate to say it but it is what it is.. i took this from fightnews ratings...

1. Bernard Hopkins
2. Chad Dawson
3. Glen Johnson
4. Zsolt Erdei
5. Hugo Garay
6. Jurgen Brähmer
7. Adrian Diaconu
8. Antonio Tarver
9. Roy Jones Jr.
10. Tavoris Cloud
11. Sylvio Branco
12. Clinton Woods
13. Shaun George
14. Jaidon Codrington
15. Yusaf Mack

at this point i think even clinton woods is a dangerous fight for him...
sweetchuck
Maybe Byrd wanted to go out as a winner, no problem with that. With Roy out there, him and Roy can fight each other so they can make some money. I don't see Chris as a serious threat, but he does make things a little interesting.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(sweetchuck @ Mar 22 2009, 11:48 PM) [snapback]429357[/snapback]
Maybe Byrd wanted to go out as a winner, no problem with that. With Roy out there, him and Roy can fight each other so they can make some money. I don't see Chris as a serious threat, but he does make things a little interesting.

thats probably a safe fight for both of them...
hardhead
QUOTE(sweetchuck @ Mar 23 2009, 04:48 AM) [snapback]429357[/snapback]

Call me crazy but I would be interested in that fight, I wouldn't pay for it but I'd watch it on stream....lol
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(hardhead @ Mar 23 2009, 01:58 AM) [snapback]429367[/snapback]
Call me crazy but I would be interested in that fight, I wouldn't pay for it but I'd watch it on stream....lol

i just read the possible fight is roy jones vs. jeff lacy at 168... roy is talking like its all but a done deal... again i think its a dangerous fight for roy.. i think all fights are dangerous for roy now tho...lol
Snoop
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 23 2009, 04:31 PM) [snapback]429381[/snapback]
i just read the possible fight is roy jones vs. jeff lacy at 168... roy is talking like its all but a done deal... again i think its a dangerous fight for roy.. i think all fights are dangerous for roy now tho...lol

Against Lacy? Nah. Jones picks apart Lacy IMO.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 23 2009, 10:58 AM) [snapback]429383[/snapback]
Against Lacy? Nah. Jones picks apart Lacy IMO.

you could be right but i dont see it.. to me lacy has more fight left and the way he comes in bombing he has to connect and one of those times he's gonna connect just right and i get the feeling we gonna see jones body do some strange things... you might be right i just dont have a lot of confidence in jones anymore.. i will have to see him get some half quality wins under him before i pick him over anybody in the top 15 maybe even 20 at either class..
Snoop
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 23 2009, 09:37 PM) [snapback]429401[/snapback]
you could be right but i dont see it.. to me lacy has more fight left and the way he comes in bombing he has to connect and one of those times he's gonna connect just right and i get the feeling we gonna see jones body do some strange things... you might be right i just dont have a lot of confidence in jones anymore.. i will have to see him get some half quality wins under him before i pick him over anybody in the top 15 maybe even 20 at either class..

The only thing that would bother me about picking Jones for this fight is that it's at 168. I don't know how his body would react to taking punches, but the only way Lacy really lands those bombs is when the opponent chooses to trade with him. Jones won't do that and will just pop shot him from the outside. It seriously seems like Lacy hasn't learned anything new since the Calzaghe loss.
hardhead
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 23 2009, 03:31 PM) [snapback]429381[/snapback]

Yea I feel ya on that. You never know how Jones is going to react if he gets hit cleanly again. I was thinking Byrd would be a good matchup because he's shot as well and doesn't hit hard..lol

King Eugene
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 23 2009, 04:37 PM) [snapback]429401[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I may be but didnt you say something similar to this about Sheika? Well Sheika connected with a clean left hook and a right hand against Jones and he shook both of them off. You where also one of the guys that said Sheika could crack and if he caught Jones it would be all over right? I think I'm right but if I'm wrong then so be it. I think its just more of you dont have confidence in Jones anymore. I can accept that but I cant accept the fact that you think every one he fights is going to knock him out cause he has been knocked out twice before.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(3King3 @ Mar 24 2009, 12:08 AM) [snapback]429458[/snapback]
Correct me if I'm wrong but I may be but didnt you say something similar to this about Sheika? Well Sheika connected with a clean left hook and a right hand against Jones and he shook both of them off. You where also one of the guys that said Sheika could crack and if he caught Jones it would be all over right? I think I'm right but if I'm wrong then so be it. I think its just more of you dont have confidence in Jones anymore. I can accept that but I cant accept the fact that you think every one he fights is going to knock him out cause he has been knocked out twice before.

I really hope Lacy and Jones do not fight cause I like both of them. I would favor Lacy to stop Jones early though, I really do see Lacy catching Roy at somepoint and ending it suddenly. I would definately root for Roy, but I do not think Roy could hold him off by just pot shotting him the whole fight. With Roy's lack of real defense anymore, shaky legs, and shaky chin, I just can not see him beating Jeff. I do realize how shitty Jeff has looked too, I just think it is a bad match-up for Roy. If they do fight, I hope Roy proves me wrong.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 24 2009, 01:27 AM) [snapback]429466[/snapback]
I really hope Lacy and Jones do not fight cause I like both of them. I would favor Lacy to stop Jones early though, I really do see Lacy catching Roy at somepoint and ending it suddenly. I would definately root for Roy, but I do not think Roy could hold him off by just pot shotting him the whole fight. With Roy's lack of real defense anymore, shaky legs, and shaky chin, I just can not see him beating Jeff. I do realize how shitty Jeff has looked too, I just think it is a bad match-up for Roy. If they do fight, I hope Roy proves me wrong.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think he will be able to stick and move. I know Sheika didn't turn out to be much of a test but if you would have seen that fight you would have seen Roy came out on fire. He was throwing over 40 punches a round. Of course thats not a high number but for Roy thats pretty high and was connecting on over 50% of his shots. I think he could actually hurt Lacy. I mean Jermaine did, he just didnt finish him. I think Roy has the ability to even at this age. Dont get me wrong, Lacy is tough and keeps coming at you but Omar Sheika is the same way.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(3King3 @ Mar 24 2009, 01:41 AM) [snapback]429468[/snapback]
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think he will be able to stick and move. I know Sheika didn't turn out to be much of a test but if you would have seen that fight you would have seen Roy came out on fire. He was throwing over 40 punches a round. Of course thats not a high number but for Roy thats pretty high and was connecting on over 50% of his shots. I think he could actually hurt Lacy. I mean Jermaine did, he just didnt finish him. I think Roy has the ability to even at this age. Dont get me wrong, Lacy is tough and keeps coming at you but Omar Sheika is the same way.

I am going off the Calzaghe fight, I did not see the fight with Sheika. Heck, I hope you are right. I just can not get the image of Roy not being able to let his hands go against Joe, it was frustrating and painful to watch. I hope they do not fight anyway.
BigG
Fitz, Jones didn't even look good against Amaju and Hanshaw. Do you think hanshw wouldve lasted 12 rounds or won rounds with the Jones of the mid 90's? Would a washed up Trinidad had lasted 12 rounds?

He looked good against Sheika..because Sheika is made for him..Jones has obviously slowed down.

Jones beats Lacy and Byrd...

Jones will lose badly vs. Taylor if they ever fight...
D-MARV
Roy hasn't looked good since the Ruiz fight. He had a brief flash against Tarver in the third fight but could not sustain it.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 24 2009, 04:14 AM) [snapback]429479[/snapback]
Roy hasn't looked good since the Ruiz fight. He had a brief flash against Tarver in the third fight but could not sustain it.

Agreed.

Plus, from what I saw the other night, there's nothing on Jones' punches anymore.

He's another brutal KO waiting to happen, IMO....
King Eugene
I'm not saying Jones is back to his old self. What I'm saying is he'll beat most if not all B level fighters. Jeff Lacy and Chris Byrd are B level fighters. A level fighters he shouldn't go near. Hell the man is 40 years old, everybody cant be like Hopkins and Foreman. For his age he is still a good fighter to me and looked damn good against Sheika no matter what anybody else has to say about it.
Nay_Sayer
I don't consider Sheika a "B" level fighter.

Lacy is a "B" level fighter, and if Jones fights him @ 168, Lacy will put him to sleep....
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 05:47 PM) [snapback]429568[/snapback]
Not sure about that, he lost to Tarver and Johnson.

Johnson is NOT a B level fighter. Ok Tarver maybe but not Johnson.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(3King3 @ Mar 24 2009, 03:52 PM) [snapback]429570[/snapback]
Johnson is NOT a B level fighter. Ok Tarver maybe but not Johnson.

Agreed. Johnson definitely belongs on the "A" list @ 175lbs. Tarver, OTOH, is Shi'ite...
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 06:55 PM) [snapback]429599[/snapback]
Yeah, Peter probably is on the A list as well at heavyweight.

Huh?!?
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 06:55 PM) [snapback]429599[/snapback]
Yeah, Peter probably is on the A list as well at heavyweight.

How did you score Dawson Johnson?
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 07:45 PM) [snapback]429610[/snapback]
Haven't caught all of the fight. But what is your point?

I consider Dawson an "A" list fighter. I'd put him @ the bottom of the "A" list, but an "A" list fighter nonetheless. Johnson deserved @least a draw in their fight. Plus, he holds victories over Tarver and Jones.

I have no problems putting him on the "A" list....
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 11:09 PM) [snapback]429621[/snapback]
But then that logic means that Forrest is A class because he beat Mosley, and then Mayorga is A class because he beat Forrest? Isn't that kind of using boxing maths? I don't think Johnson is bad, but there is a line between A level fighters and B level fighters. I just don't think Johnson is an A level.

I agree, to me Hopkins, Mayweather, Cotto these guys are A class. Johnson would be a B guy.
D-MARV
Dawson beat Johnson. The decision was fair!
King Eugene
Ok well would this make more sense. Jones beats most if not all B level light heavyweights along with Jeff Lacy who is not a light heavyweight. I think Lacy is a B Level SMW and would be a C level LHW. Just my opinion.

Either way it goes I think he still has enough to outbox Lacy 12 whole rounds. Lets not forget Lacy doesn't have the best stamina either.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(3King3 @ Mar 25 2009, 12:17 AM) [snapback]429638[/snapback]
Either way it goes I think he still has enough to outbox Lacy 12 whole rounds. Lets not forget Lacy doesn't have the best stamina either.

Lacy always does look shittier the later his fights go. But against Roy, I really think he would press him early and take him out GJ style.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 25 2009, 01:22 AM) [snapback]429646[/snapback]
Lacy always does look shittier the later his fights go. But against Roy, I really think he would press him early and take him out GJ style.

Hell to the naw! When was the last time Lacy KO'd somebody period! That fight will go the distance...that fucker has little to no defense at all.
BigG
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 09:47 PM) [snapback]429568[/snapback]
Not sure about that, he lost to Tarver and Johnson.

And Calzaghe...
Fitz
lol.
King Eugene
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 25 2009, 03:44 AM) [snapback]429665[/snapback]
And Calzaghe...

So...Judah lost to Baldibore! So what level is Judah on...C or D?

I'd much rather have a lose to Calzaghe than Baldibore on my resume.
BigG
Well King, no ones really talking about Judah. I'm just saying RJ is past his prime and never wouldve lost to Calzagge in his prime...never wouldve went 12 with the likes of Hanshaw and Tito....3King man I'm rooting for your boy 100% and all I was doing was hating on Calzaghe...why do you have to take shots on Judah like that? I know he lost to Baldazaar....laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 26 2009, 01:08 AM) [snapback]429743[/snapback]
Well King, no ones really talking about Judah. I'm just saying RJ is past his prime and never wouldve lost to Calzagge in his prime...never wouldve went 12 with the likes of Hanshaw and Tito....3King man I'm rooting for your boy 100% and all I was doing was hating on Calzaghe...why do you have to take shots on Judah like that? I know he lost to Baldazaar....laugh.gif

I'm sorry, was that a low blow or did I hit a soft spot referring to Judah? LOL man I like Judah too, I just needed a good comeback. It was either Judah or mens calve muscles.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 09:09 PM) [snapback]429621[/snapback]
But then that logic means that Forrest is A class because he beat Mosley, and then Mayorga is A class because he beat Forrest?

Not quite. Forrest has "A" list class skills whereas Mayorga received the benefit of a bad style matchup....
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 24 2009, 09:33 PM) [snapback]429631[/snapback]
Dawson beat Johnson. The decision was fair!

Johnson got jobbed, IMO....
D-MARV
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Mar 26 2009, 05:08 PM) [snapback]429762[/snapback]
Johnson got jobbed, IMO....

Fair enough! Many people seem to think that! I though it was a very close fight with Dawson inching by
Spyder
I thought that Johnson took a bad beat.

Glen Johnson, Emannuel Augustus, and Luis Collazo take more of those losses than anyone else in boxing.
Fitz
Regarding Collazo, as I haven't seen all of the close fights Johnson and Augustus have been in. I think Collazo were in close fights that could have gone either way with Hatton and Berto. I don't think the result was bad for either of those fights, just like I don't think the result would have been bad if Collazo was given the nod.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.