Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ESPN Classic:V. Klitschko vs. Gomez:RBR/Postfight 5PM CST (Spoilers 5:10)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
For all on-going action and post-fight reactions to Klitschko-Gomez. Users may want to add extra time if recording, as it is only 1 hour long on my guide. ESPN and it's sub-channels are notorious for starting things at strange times. I hope this works out for everybody.

Jack

Administrator
JLUVBABY
its hard for me to tell whats gonna happen in this fight... juan you can tell is giving klit some problems.. end of round 3 and i got it 2 to 1 for vitali...
Mean Mister Mustard
Man o man this is boring.

I wonder if the Klitshckos are really good in defense or they just look like it because their opponents are shit.
Mean Mister Mustard
V is trying to wear down Gomez with all the clinching.

Gomez should headbutt him when coming in.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 21 2009, 05:22 PM) [snapback]429133[/snapback]
Man o man this is boring.

I wonder if the Klitshckos are really good in defense or they just look like it because their opponents are shit.

you are right.. if juan had a punch this would be a better fight i think...i am wondering tho what happens later in the fight if juan can make it.. vitali is throwing a good number of punches... might get good late...
JLUVBABY
gomez cut.. beating is starting slow... had to figure this was gonna happen so far...lol... if gomez is gonan have a chance he will have to step it up an go for broke... he needs to show klit he can hurt him...
JLUVBABY
hopefully the cut on klit will give gomez a boost.. i am hoping this can become a good fight...lol
Mean Mister Mustard
Based on how V is looking I'd give Haye a good chance.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 21 2009, 05:34 PM) [snapback]429139[/snapback]
Based on how V is looking I'd give Haye a good chance.

vitali has slowed considerable... looks like a killer right now but you can see it..
JLUVBABY
this shit is becoming laughable...
Mean Mister Mustard
He is hard to fight because

A- He's so tall and the fighters he takes on, while being decen by heavyweight standards, are actually shitty guys who don't know how to get inside. Credit to Gomez though who tried hard in there.

B- He wars guys down with a mix of clinching and occasional right hands.

Maxy
Vitali wins via stoppage in the 9th. Gomez was down in the 7th and again in the 9th...he looked distressed about his eye injury and just seemed like he had nothing left to give. Klit was his usual boring self but he does seem a lot slower than he once was.

Haye has a chance.
JLUVBABY
gomez isa shit but then again so is vitali... this fight brings into quesation to me the caliber of vitali... he should have got rid of this guy much much earlier... tyson said it best the other day in an interview.... once we get a heavyweight that can end fights like they are supposed to be then the sport will strengthen up again... the heavyweight champ is supposed to take guys out and not in that kind of fashion... not hating on him but he should have taken care of this trash better han this..
Maxy
I'll never rate Vitali as anything other than the best of the worst bunch of heavyweights I have lived through.
BigG
Missed the fight...another one-sided fight for Vitali? Time for Klitschko's to fight Haye...theres really not much else right now at the HW division.
torvix2000
Fouck! Boring heavyweights!!!

Will there ever be incarnations of the greatest evil vs good again? AKA Tyson and Holyfield?
D-MARV
If I was David Haye, I would Target Vitali.

Vitali looked every bit of 37 tonight. He was slow, sloppy, and his punches weren't as sharp as they used to be. I think he looked good against Peter because Peter is PURE SHIT! Eddie Chambers will dominate Peter next week...

David Haye has a real good chance of beating Vitali as long as he doesn't get caught. Wlad will OWN Haye.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 21 2009, 08:10 PM) [snapback]429183[/snapback]
If I was David Haye, I would Target Vitali.

Vitali looked every bit of 37 tonight. He was slow, sloppy, and his punches weren't as sharp as they used to be. I think he looked good against Peter because Peter is PURE SHIT! Eddie Chambers will dominate Peter next week...

David Haye has a real good chance of beating Vitali as long as he doesn't get caught. Wlad will OWN Haye.

you got that right dmarv... haye needs to let arreola fight wladimir and haye fights vitali.. vitali looked his age tonight... and i wont say there arent no heavies for him to fight... there are fighters i thought wlad would own that could and possibly would make good fights with vitali.. povetkin.. domentriko... haye... arreola... and really the way he fought tonight a guy like a mccline that is his size and could really contend with his size probably would have made a good fight... some may not agree but vitali looks beatable all of a sudden... just no quality out there to do it possibly.
Method
I heard the ring was 4 ft smaller than normal?
thefloatingmonkey
That was a really sad fight. They both looked horrible. If there was one good heavyweight, they could easily clean out the division and be on top for a long time.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Method @ Mar 21 2009, 08:46 PM) [snapback]429194[/snapback]
I heard the ring was 4 ft smaller than normal?

no doubt the ring looked a little small but the problem from yesterday was supposedly fixed...
Lil-lightsout
Hmmmmm. So maybe most that said Vitali would kill Haye have come to realize he is not invincible. It is sometimes amusing how after the Peter fight... Nevermind. Screw it, we will just see what awaits us in this poor division.
BGv2.0
This fight went just about the way I expected it to. BUT....I gotta say I actually give more respect to Gomez for this fight than I do his entire career at HW. I've always ripped on Gomez....but he really gave it his all in this fight and unlike the majority of Klit opponents...he really tried!

He went out on his shield and kept trying when most would have taken the easy way out early on.

AND....was it just me or was there a couple of occasions when Gomez actually seemed to stun Vitali? I seem to remember him really laying some hard leather on him in the 3rd and I think 7th that really backed Vitali up and got his attention.

I think had Gomez actually fought guys such as McCline, Thompson and Valuev....during his long time at HW, he would have been much more prepared for the sheer size difference.

All in all not a bad effort from Gomez, he inflicted some damage and went into the later rounds while being the much smaller man, just makes it a shame at what he could have done had he actually spent the last few years active with decent opp.

If I were him, I'd have one more fight with a decent named HW....Oleg, Golota, Ruiz....etc. Get my win and ride into the sunset.

As for Vitali....he looked the same as always, just a huge lumbering force to be dealt with...but unlike past fights he looked very slow and sloppy to me (which may have been his opponent's doing)....which does not surprise me at 37 years of age. I think if he had been in with a guy that really throws a hard jab and doubles and triples up with it....he would have had all kinds of trouble. Gomez bruised him up and landed some decent shots with virtually no jab. Due to his size....Vitali remains a force...but his age appears to be catching up with him....if he continues on...I'm pretty sure even a mediocre unknown might end up pulling a rabbit out of the hat with a win. From what I saw with Gomez.....despite the size...I think a guy like Povetkin or Haye may very well be able to pull off an upset.
D-MARV
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 21 2009, 11:31 PM) [snapback]429207[/snapback]
This fight went just about the way I expected it to. BUT....I gotta say I actually give more respect to Gomez for this fight than I do his entire career at HW. I've always ripped on Gomez....but he really gave it his all in this fight and unlike the majority of Klit opponents...he really tried!

He went out on his shield and kept trying when most would have taken the easy way out early on.

AND....was it just me or was there a couple of occasions when Gomez actually seemed to stun Vitali? I seem to remember him really laying some hard leather on him in the 3rd and I think 7th that really backed Vitali up and got his attention.

I think had Gomez actually fought guys such as McCline, Thompson and Valuev....during his long time at HW, he would have been much more prepared for the sheer size difference.

All in all not a bad effort from Gomez, he inflicted some damage and went into the later rounds while being the much smaller man, just makes it a shame at what he could have done had he actually spent the last few years active with decent opp.

If I were him, I'd have one more fight with a decent named HW....Oleg, Golota, Ruiz....etc. Get my win and ride into the sunset.

As for Vitali....he looked the same as always, just a huge lumbering force to be dealt with...but unlike past fights he looked very slow and sloppy to me (which may have been his opponent's doing)....which does not surprise me at 37 years of age. I think if he had been in with a guy that really throws a hard jab and doubles and triples up with it....he would have had all kinds of trouble. Gomez bruised him up and landed some decent shots with virtually no jab. Due to his size....Vitali remains a force...but his age appears to be catching up with him....if he continues on...I'm pretty sure even a mediocre unknown might end up pulling a rabbit out of the hat with a win. From what I saw with Gomez.....despite the size...I think a guy like Povetkin or Haye may very well be able to pull off an upset.

Don't Forget about Arreola!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 21 2009, 10:31 PM) [snapback]429207[/snapback]

i agree.. vitali is ready for the taking if he fights one of the better bigger contenders...
BGv2.0
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 21 2009, 10:41 PM) [snapback]429208[/snapback]
Don't Forget about Arreola!

LOL...I know he is your man!

As you know I give him virtually no shot against McCline much less either Klit. BUT...IF he proves me wrong and gets past McCline...I'd rather see him with Wlad over Vitali.

Gomez hit Vitali with a few very good shots and although they got his attention and stunned him....he was never hurt in a major way. Vitali has a great chin...from Lewis to the shots he took from Sanders....his chin is sound.

Wlad on the other hand...even though it's been awhile since his chin has failed him....I myself can NEVER fully trust it.

So...as one of his fans you had better hope he gets inked for Wlad....because even though I'd only give him a tiny spec of hope based only on Wlad's chin issue...I would give him 0 hope at all...even with a really slow old Vitali.

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
That fight was pretty boring. I thought Gomez had a shot in the first round, when he was countering with those straight lefts. He was moving pretty well, but after that it was all Klitschko. He controlled distance well, and mixed in some hard right hands. With his length, he's a tough match for most heavies out there right now. I'd still like to see both Klitschko's in with Valuev, just to see how they'd deal with the height disadvantage. Overall, a pretty boring fight, but a nice ko win for Vitali.
gods son
Haye would defo catch Klit, and hurt him!

Thegreatequalizer
i haven't seen the fight yet. one thing i will say is that vitali hasn't really ever shown the one punch ko power. he's got big guy power. rahman beat sanders basically with one punch, it took many rounds of pounding for vitali to stop him. same with a few other fighters. he's just a big, strong guy. even though the hw division isn't so hot, lets not forget that a lot of hw eras are considered crappy. joe louis had the bum of the month club. nobody thought too much of a lot of holmes' competition. even with tyson, he avoided lewis and holyfield in his prime, didn't fight necessarily great competition, but is revered for his style. etc. etc. i'm not making excuses because i'm not disagreeing with what's been said about him, but this isn't necessarily something exclusive to the post-tyson (or post-lewis) hw division.
Jack 1000
Methodical breakdown by Vitali. But his technique never changed. The only time that I thought he looked good was his two-sided war with Lewis. He's a big tall robot who works behind a jab that looks better than it is, because Vitali is so tall, opponents can't get inside to do damage. Credit to Gomez for trying. Only the first two rounds were close, after that it was painfully one-sided. I don't think Vitali sucks. However, he is just ordinary. The best of today's outhouse crapper of heavyweights.

And to be honest, I don't know what brother Wlad does in the ring that is all that much different. I think Vitali has the better chin than Wald. But I think Wlad has better heart than Vitali. I think Vitali can and will mentally break down if he cannot defuse the pressure from a younger fighter, who is an in-your face kind of guy and throws fast combinations. Vitali just seems so open for..........everything.

Jack
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 22 2009, 12:34 AM) [snapback]429233[/snapback]
Methodical breakdown by Vitali. But his technique never changed. The only time that I thought he looked good was his two-sided war with Lewis. He's a big tall robot who works behind a jab that looks better than it is, because Vitali is so tall, opponents can't get inside to do damage. Credit to Gomez for trying. Only the first two rounds were close, after that it was painfully one-sided. I don't think Vitali sucks. However, he is just ordinary. The best of today's outhouse crapper of heavyweights.

And to be honest, I don't know what brother Wlad does in the ring that is all that much different. I think Vitali has the better chin than Wald. But I think Wlad has better heart than Vitali. I think Vitali can and will mentally break down if he cannot defuse the pressure from a younger fighter, who is an in-your face kind of guy and throws fast combinations. Vitali just seems so open for..........everything.

Jack

to go along with what you said jack i am starting to question vitalis true punching power.. he breaks fighters down but we are not seeing true one punch knockout power... wlad. hurt peter more than vitali did.. got hurt more too...lol... for the beatings he put on gomez and peter it just seems to me there should have been definite endings to both fights.. both guys should have ended up on their backs and counted out or straight knocked out for the amount of punches he landed on them... imo...
BGv2.0
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 22 2009, 02:34 PM) [snapback]429292[/snapback]
to go along with what you said jack i am starting to question vitalis true punching power.. he breaks fighters down but we are not seeing true one punch knockout power... wlad. hurt peter more than vitali did.. got hurt more too...lol... for the beatings he put on gomez and peter it just seems to me there should have been definite endings to both fights.. both guys should have ended up on their backs and counted out or straight knocked out for the amount of punches he landed on them... imo...

I myself have NEVER seen either guy as "power punchers". It really is odd to me how many people see them that way. And it's nothing new....they have done this their entire careers....anybody that has a small amount of talent and was not a total tomato can or over matched in terms of age or size usually ends up making it to the later rounds.

Vitali=Sullivan-9; Puritty and Bean-11; Donald-10, Williams and Sanders-8; Peter and Gomez-9. IMO the only decently talented HWs that did not go later was Kirk Johnson and Francis.

Wlad=Martin-8, 2x; Schultz-8; Barrett-7; Byrd 12 & 7; Botha-8; McCline 10; Peter-12; Brock-7; Imbragamov-12; Thompson-11; Rock-7.

There were a few decent HWs he got out quick like Nicholson, Jefferson, Bostice and Jackson.

But on the whole.....decent to talented HWs go into the later rounds with both brothers.

BUT....we are talking about people they beat....so all in all that is very impressive....but unlike many who attribute their wins to their punching power or ability.....I've always applied it moreso to their sheer size and reach advantages.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 22 2009, 07:26 PM) [snapback]429321[/snapback]
I myself have NEVER seen either guy as "power punchers". It really is odd to me how many people see them that way. And it's nothing new....they have done this their entire careers....anybody that has a small amount of talent and was not a total tomato can or over matched in terms of age or size usually ends up making it to the later rounds.

Vitali=Sullivan-9; Puritty and Bean-11; Donald-10, Williams and Sanders-8; Peter and Gomez-9. IMO the only decently talented HWs that did not go later was Kirk Johnson and Francis.

Wlad=Martin-8, 2x; Schultz-8; Barrett-7; Byrd 12 & 7; Botha-8; McCline 10; Peter-12; Brock-7; Imbragamov-12; Thompson-11; Rock-7.

There were a few decent HWs he got out quick like Nicholson, Jefferson, Bostice and Jackson.

But on the whole.....decent to talented HWs go into the later rounds with both brothers.

BUT....we are talking about people they beat....so all in all that is very impressive....but unlike many who attribute their wins to their punching power or ability.....I've always applied it moreso to their sheer size and reach advantages.

bg did you get that email i sent you?
BGv2.0
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 22 2009, 08:30 PM) [snapback]429340[/snapback]
bg did you get that email i sent you?

I sure did! Thanks!!! I still need to look through all of them.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 22 2009, 11:54 PM) [snapback]429358[/snapback]
I sure did! Thanks!!! I still need to look through all of them.

let me know.. i didnt post all my pictures...
BigG
I saw rounds 7-9...Gomez looked a bit Heavy...Vitali had a massive size anvantage and it was one-sided. It think Haye can give him a fight.
TheWhiteBuffalo
Oh boy....already we have to hear about this fluke dream called Haye.

The Klitschko hate wagon still rolls on.

Vitali fought smart, and was effective. Exactly what a Champion should do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.