Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Margarito's wraps contained "plaster elements"
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
hardhead
link

The report says the wraps contained two primary elements, sulfur and calcium, for making plaster of paris. These two elements when mixed with oxygen make plaster of paris.

Thoughts?
STEVENSKI
Stone Margarito to death with plaster or Paris rocks?
Lil-lightsout
It was just an honest mistake by AM and his team. I say give him a second chance, he was probably in the dark about the whole thing anyway. This was probably the first time they ever did it too. Shane Mosley has been on roids his whole career, thats the only reason he won titles and beat Margarito. Antonio's team was just trying to level the playing field. Mosley's power has atleast tripled since being on roids, which is way more dangerous than a little plaster on his handwraps.
Fitz
I think he should just be allowed to fight Cintron a 3rd time under the same circumstances and we can let bygones be bygones.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 26 2009, 09:27 PM) [snapback]429794[/snapback]
It was just an honest mistake by AM and his team. I say give him a second chance, he was probably in the dark about the whole thing anyway. This was probably the first time they ever did it too. Shane Mosley has been on roids his whole career, thats the only reason he won titles and beat Margarito. Antonio's team was just trying to level the playing field. Mosley's power has atleast tripled since being on roids, which is way more dangerous than a little plaster on his handwraps.

Dude - I had to lmao at that laugh.gif totally unexpected reply.

I think AM should be banned from boxing for a year ..... His trainer should be banned permanently. Most fighter's aren't even paying attention during the hand wrapping{because of all the distractions}. But the trainer is completely aware at all time of what he's doing when he's wrapping his fighters hands.
King Eugene
I say make him fight Kimbo Slice next!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 27 2009, 01:38 AM) [snapback]429795[/snapback]
I think he should just be allowed to fight Cintron a 3rd time under the same circumstances and we can let bygones be bygones.

Fitz is a perceptive man indeed & a rare find.
Fitz
Thank you kind sir.

*tips hat*
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(3King3 @ Mar 26 2009, 10:21 PM) [snapback]429798[/snapback]
I say make him fight Kimbo Slice next!

China chin slice? He'll get f*cking murdered by Marg plaster or no plaster. laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
this should have been expected.. can anyone say they are seriously surprised by this out come?... and i am sure it wasnt the first time they've done it.. why all of a sudden vs. mosely that was supposed to have been washed up?... and its naive to think margarito didnt know what was going on... a fighter is sitting right there he has to see whats happening to his hands.. marg. knew... to put a fighters health in jeopardy is worth a lot more than a yr. suspension... i hate to say it but he should be banned from the sport.. just my opinion.. a message needs to be sent at some point in time.. i say the same about the juicing fighters as well.. if it can be proved they are juicing i say make them find a 9 to 5 or sumthin else that dont have to do with our sport...
Box in Hand
I think he should now recieve a liftime ban and if not him then his dumb ass trainer should. Margs should at least be given a 5 year suspension. His manager should also be charged with attempted assault. All of this should happen after we let Margs thump Cintron's cry baby ass for a few more rounds.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 27 2009, 02:43 AM) [snapback]429848[/snapback]
and its naive to think margarito didnt know what was going on... a fighter is sitting right there he has to see whats happening to his hands.. marg. knew... to put a fighters health in jeopardy is worth a lot more than a yr. suspension... i hate to say it but he should be banned from the sport.. just my opinion.. a message needs to be sent at some point in time.. i say the same about the juicing fighters as well.. if it can be proved they are juicing i say make them find a 9 to 5 or sumthin else that dont have to do with our sport...

The point that AM knew what was being put in his wraps will always be debatable.

But I do agree 200% that Loaded Gloves, Doping and the other crap cannot continue in the sport of boxing. A clear message has to be sent at some point in time that violations will mean a lifetime ban.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Mar 27 2009, 11:43 AM) [snapback]429877[/snapback]
The point that AM knew what was being put in his wraps will always be debatable.

But I do agree 200% that Loaded Gloves, Doping and the other crap cannot continue in the sport of boxing. A clear message has to be sent at some point in time that violations will mean a lifetime ban.

allight now my question is how can what goes into a fighters hand wraps be debatable as far as by what the fighter actually knew?... come on my man you have always posted views that i can understand but i dont understand that... how can a fighter not know?... hands wrapping is not exactly a major science.. marg. had to know when the moisture or what not seeped through his wrapping down to his hands that something was wrong.. he knew.. its one thing to be a fan.. i was a fan of margs... but when your team or fighter etc. wins by cheating how can you endorse that, and not saying you are endorsing marg. but i just cant see how his cheating and him knowing was debatable?.. there would have come a time when that cast would have hardened and he would have to know. i cant.. there is ethics in this sport... just saying dont be blind to whats real...
Mario415
Box in Hand
QUOTE(Mario415 @ Mar 27 2009, 11:34 AM) [snapback]429883[/snapback]

Brilliant!
dbdbdb
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 27 2009, 12:59 PM) [snapback]429881[/snapback]
allight now my question is how can what goes into a fighters hand wraps be debatable as far as by what the fighter actually knew?... come on my man you have always posted views that i can understand but i dont understand that... how can a fighter not know?... hands wrapping is not exactly a major science.. marg. had to know when the moisture or what not seeped through his wrapping down to his hands that something was wrong.. he knew.. its one thing to be a fan.. i was a fan of margs... but when your team or fighter etc. wins by cheating how can you endorse that, and not saying you are endorsing marg. but i just cant see how his cheating and him knowing was debatable?.. there would have come a time when that cast would have hardened and he would have to know. i cant.. there is ethics in this sport... just saying dont be blind to whats real...

To be honest JLUVBABY,

I try to give the boxer the benefit of doubt ..... Also, from first hand knowledge and experiences ... hand wrapping the professional way is always boring as hell and I've witnessed many boxer's chatting it up, laughing and talking with people while their hands are being wrapped. So, I'm just saying that it is possible that AM didn't know.

But the wrapper\Trainer has no such excuse.
Jack 1000
A one year ban is bullshit! I wonder though if the ban would have been made worse if the commission had not found the illegal raps till after the fight with Mosley's face all cut and swollen like a balloon because of the plaster in them?

Jack
Box in Hand
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 27 2009, 01:06 PM) [snapback]429893[/snapback]
A one year ban is bullshit! I wonder though if the ban would have been made worse if the commission had not found the illegal raps till after the fight with Mosley's face all cut and swollen like a balloon because of the plaster in them?

Jack

That's why I feel he should get an attempted assault charge. There was no actual damage done (Thanks to Nassem) but there was intent.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Mar 27 2009, 02:09 PM) [snapback]429894[/snapback]
That's why I feel he should get an attempted assault charge. There was no actual damage done (Thanks to Nassem) but there was intent.

I agree,

I think that the stiffest punishment should go to Margarito's trainer, who should not only be banned for life, but also prosecuted by the California DA's office for assault charges with a deadly weapon. That illegal plaster that he put in Margarito's wraps was a deadly weapon. An illegal deadly weapon, and it should be prosecuted as such. These actions are very similar to what Panama Lewis did to Billy Collins' gloves by removing the padding before the Louis Resto fight to give Resto an illegal advantage. A main difference is not only padding removal, verses an illegal substance inside a glove, but also that the Collins-Resto incident was discovered after the fight, not before.

Jack
rusty_trombone
Yeah, even if Marg didn't know, which he almost certainly did, it is still his responsibility to know. Ignorance is not a justifiable defense, and also seriously pushing the bs boundary.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Mar 27 2009, 12:48 PM) [snapback]429888[/snapback]
To be honest JLUVBABY,

I try to give the boxer the benefit of doubt ..... Also, from first hand knowledge and experiences ... hand wrapping the professional way is always boring as hell and I've witnessed many boxer's chatting it up, laughing and talking with people while their hands are being wrapped. So, I'm just saying that it is possible that AM didn't know.

But the wrapper\Trainer has no such excuse.

i dont know db.. i been watching this sport most of my life if not all of it (since i have been old enough to rememebr watching t.v) and i have seen countless number of fighters gettting their hands wrapped and its not like they just sit there and get their hands wrapped.. its an interactive.. procedure that takes place.. a fighter has to open and close his hands at certain times... just saying... but then again margarito is not supposed to say he knew... i dont blame him but if i was a birdie on the wall and could have seen what actually took place my guess is he knew.. thats just my opinion...

let me also add.... just so happens the way the fight played out mosely wasnt the shot fighter his team thought he was and he would have never touched him anyway even if he was loaded up but my point is WHAT IF mosely was a done fighter and he had taken a very severe beating... i like most of us have seen ring deaths and near ring fatalities and they are never fun to witness... that is the reality of what could have taken place had the right circumstances been in place.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
What can I say? I know I've defended Margarito the last two months, and said wait til the results are in. I guess I can take back everything I said in that one thread about Margarito. His trainer is the biggest piece of shit there is right now, and that dude should be banned for life. I don't know how the hell you can ration putting a person's life on the line, and putting his family at risk just for a win. I'll reserve some judgement on Tony, because I'm sure there were a lot of people around him and it is a possibility he didn't know. Fighters normally put all the trust in their trainer. However, Tony still should be held responsible regardless. If he knew, he's as big a piece of shit as his trainer. I think Margarito's career is tainted, and even though the wins will remain official, the fans will never view him as a winner over Miguel Cotto. I'm so dissapointed in Tony, as I was a big fan of his. That win over Cotto even gave me inspiration. Shit makes me sick, just thinking that a boxing trainer makes that unethical of a decision. This isn't just taking a dive, shaving points in a game, or fixing a game; This is putting a man's life on the line. Just another sad day for boxing, but I'm sure it will recover. It always does.
dbdbdb
What a new twist dntknw.gif

"FREDDIE ROACH IN AS MARGARITO'S NEW TRAINER"

Roach is expecting\hoping AM gets a break at his 6-month appeal with the reputation he brings to the table.
thisneverworks
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Mar 27 2009, 06:45 PM) [snapback]429903[/snapback]
What a new twist dntknw.gif

"FREDDIE ROACH IN AS MARGARITO'S NEW TRAINER"

Roach is expecting\hoping AM gets a break at his 6-month appeal with the reputation he brings to the table.

I just lost A LOT of respect for Freddie Roach.
Snoop
QUOTE(thisneverworks @ Mar 28 2009, 12:48 AM) [snapback]429905[/snapback]
I just lost A LOT of respect for Freddie Roach.

Seriously. WTF is Roach thinking? Where's the source from?
dbdbdb
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 27 2009, 08:40 PM) [snapback]429906[/snapback]
Seriously. WTF is Roach thinking? Where's the source from?

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content4603.html
JLUVBABY
ok this is what i see happening.. i think roach is out to get him a little extra money.. he's training a cheater in my opinion but i dont knock the hustle... at the end of the day from a boxing fans standpoint i dont think roach can help marg.. what we might see is marg. caught in transition and reverting back to the style he knows.. this is hard for me cuz i actually liked marg. as a fighter... but to know him as a cheater i kinda wanna see him get two peiced now...
Jack 1000
What other boxers does Margarito's trainer, Javier Capetillo, represent? Do you believe that there will be charges filed against the trainer? He is the main catalyst of responsibility between the fighter and any pre-fight and fight action inside the ring. There must be serious penalties for all parties involved or what is to stop this shit from happening again?

And are these chief commission inspectors so fucking stupid that they can't tell what's going on with a fighter's gloves? I have heard stories of the California State Boxing Commission rigging weigh-in's. However, to have something like loaded gloves get by these inspectors is despicable and inexcusable. WTF did it take in this case the OPPOSING trainer (Naz Richardson for Mosley) instead of the boxing commission to bring this to light? I think the inspectors could be just as negligent for letting this slip by.

The only grace of this is the damn plaster was removed before the fight. But the opposing trainer had to do it instead of the commission. That shit just is not kosher.

Jack
thisneverworks
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 27 2009, 04:06 PM) [snapback]429896[/snapback]
Yeah, even if Marg didn't know, which he almost certainly did, it is still his responsibility to know. Ignorance is not a justifiable defense, and also seriously pushing the bs boundary.

I couldn't agree more, you can't plea ignorance. If we are holding other athletes responsible when they try to use the ignorance defense (particularly with steroids), how is this any different?

Margarito, his trainer, and Roach just make me sick. I was watching the Williams-Margarito fight this weekend. Funny how the Torrance (CA) Tornado really started hurting Williams in the second half of the fight, much like Cotto...this guy is a total scumbag and a disgrace. Actually I'm glad he prefers to only acknowledge his Mexican heritage b/c it just means he is not disgracing my country.
Spyder
How would he not know that he was punching with something hard in his gloves?
PR316
This is indeed pretty bad. Traces of calcium and sulfur??... Thats just criminal there. Some fighters in the past have been accused of using too much tape and too much guaze(Like Trinidad) but this situation with Margarito is worse.
dj necrogenic
This is absolutely despicable Margarito and his trainer should be banned for life, charges should be brought on them. The CSAC representative there that was supposed to be monitoring this should lose his job for this as well. As it is apparant he was either payed to look the other way, or just wasnt doing his job
PR316
^^^Thats one problem I have. What about these damn inspectors???... Are not THEY the ones that are supposed to be monitoring the situation when the hand wrapping is occuring???...

Why should any trainer have to inform them whats legal and whats not???...
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 30 2009, 04:18 PM) [snapback]430203[/snapback]
How would he not know that he was punching with something hard in his gloves?

yeah, and I think he would certainly notice that his wraps were always wet to start fights, while everyone else in the history of fighting had dry wraps. and when he took his gloves off, there were fucking bricks of plaster in his gloves.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 30 2009, 06:14 PM) [snapback]430216[/snapback]
From my understanding, they were already hard to begin with. When he got busted, a hard bit of plaster fell out of his wraps, it wasn't wet plaster waiting to get hardened.

wow, what a cocklicker
Spyder
Unless they put plaster in his wraps from the time that he was a little burrito until now...there is no way that he didn't know what was going on.
hardhead
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 30 2009, 10:12 AM) [snapback]430172[/snapback]
What other boxers does Margarito's trainer, Javier Capetillo, represent? Do you believe that there will be charges filed against the trainer? He is the main catalyst of responsibility between the fighter and any pre-fight and fight action inside the ring. There must be serious penalties for all parties involved or what is to stop this shit from happening again?

And are these chief commission inspectors so fucking stupid that they can't tell what's going on with a fighter's gloves? I have heard stories of the California State Boxing Commission rigging weigh-in's. However, to have something like loaded gloves get by these inspectors is despicable and inexcusable. WTF did it take in this case the OPPOSING trainer (Naz Richardson for Mosley) instead of the boxing commission to bring this to light? I think the inspectors could be just as negligent for letting this slip by.

The only grace of this is the damn plaster was removed before the fight. But the opposing trainer had to do it instead of the commission. That shit just is not kosher.

Jack

I think he has and still trains Givonni Segura.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 30 2009, 07:37 PM) [snapback]430219[/snapback]
Unless they put plaster in his wraps from the time that he was a little burrito until now...there is no way that he didn't know what was going on.

Hands down the funniest indirect racist remark I've heard on here...
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hey why has the KidBazooka kid been so quietly lately? Isn't he Margarito's biggest fan?
Method
There's a very potentially intriguing article in the current issue of "Ring Magazine", titled, "The Art of the Cheat", which I have yet to read, because I had two sick kids in bed w me last night, but I was thinking I would try and scan or something and post in this forum. It seems like an interesting article, and they mention Jack Dempsey's team loading his gloves against Jess Willard, among famous examples.

Here's a preview I found over on the Ring's website...

http://images.ringtv.com/images/7/images/o...-05/preview.pdf

THE ART OF THE CHEAT

Boxing’s Long And Sordid Tradition

By Don Stradley

When Jess Willard was an elderly man, he used to invite reporters to touch his face. “Feel this,” he’d say, using one of his giant hands to guide the reporter’s fingers. Willard wanted them to feel the reminder of a bout that happened 40 years earlier in Toledo, Ohio. Reporters never knew how to respond. A section of Willard’s cheekbone still moved around under the skin like a loose coin.

“This is what Dempsey did,” Willard would say. “Do you think a little guy could do that without something in his gloves?”

Boxing’s reputation as the red light district of sports is grossly disproportionate to the actual number of fighters who get called out, but the recent controversy surrounding Antonio Margarito’s handwraps has brought the topic of cheating into the light again. Mind you, we’re not talking about “dirty” fighters, for the dirtiest of them do their work in full view of the customers. Cheaters gain their edge when no one is looking.

There’s no doubt Margarito’s situation will follow him into the future. Shane Mosley, who is under scrutiny himself as the ongoing BALCO investigation lurches into its fifth year, could tell Margarito how these things tend to linger over a fighter, for even though we live in a country where people are innocent until proven guilty, there’s another bromide that carries even more clout: perception is everything.

The perception is that something fishy is going on with handwraps.

Mere weeks before Margarito’s camp was busted for allegedly using a hardening substance on his hands prior to his bout with Shane Mosley, Oscar De La Hoya’s handwraps were questioned before his December bout with Manny Pacquiao. In 2001, Felix Trinidad’s team was reproached for the way Trinidad’s hands were taped prior to his bout with Bernard Hopkins. Trinidad’s father exclaimed, “This is how we wrap hands in Puerto Rico.”

A cultural divide seems to exist when it comes to wrapping a fighter’s hands. The wrapped hands of many Mexican and Puerto Rican fighters look as dangerous as the battle cestus worn by the ancient Greeks. Is this a subtle form of cheating?
“I don’t think so,” said HBO analyst and Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward, who described the style of wrapping south of the United States as “ritualistic.”

“Up here, we wrap quickly,” Steward told THE RING. “Trainers in Latin American countries use much more material, and spend twice as long on a fighter. You’ve noticed American fightersare always breaking their hands, but you don’t see as many hand problems among Latin-American fighters. With Margarito, I think his trainer was just trying to protect his fighter’s hands.”

Objecting to what a fighter may have in or on his hands is as old as the Sweet Science itself. During an 1810 bout at Copthall Common near East Grinstead, England, the handlers of British hero Tom Cribb complained that the American Tom Molineaux had a lead ball bearing in his fist. This turned out to be a ruse to give Cribb a breather. While the referee searched Molineaux, Cribb regrouped; he went on to win the fight.

The cornermen of the bare-fist era were diabolical. During an 1872 bout between Arthur Chambers and William Edwards, Chambers’ own second bit him on the shoulder. The second then showed the bite marks to the referee, accusing Edwards of doing the biting. The referee promptly disqualified Edwards. The New York Times covered this bout with a headline declaring “The Downfall Of Pugilism,” but the cheating would continue through all of boxing’s eras, from the days when Johnny Regan, an American middleweight of the 1880s, sharpened the spikes on his fighting boots so he could cut into an opponent’s legs, to when an astringent mysteriously appeared on Sonny Liston’s gloves in his 1964 bout with Muhammad Ali.

The sporting world has never had much of a conscience. Hockey has its illegal sticks; auto racing has nimble-fingered mechanics making adjustments that go undetected by engine monitors; baseball has corked bats, pine tar, and spitballs; horse racing has battery-operated buzzers. Comedian Bill Maher recently referred to the Olympic Games as a contest to determine which country had the best drugs His audience nodded and laughed. Our society’s sense of competition has morphed from “may the best man win” to “win at all costs.” It’s a world of cheaters.

“Margaritogate” has created a stir, but boxing fans, fed constant stories about performance enhancers and other dishonest dealings, aren’t too surprised. They’re probably surprised they don’t hear about illegal handwraps more often.
“People assume that cheating goes on in boxing all the time, but I would say it’s very seldom,” said Steward. “I doubt Margarito has done this in the past; he’s fought in all of the biggest states with the best commissions, so I find it hard to believe he’d get away with it for this long.

“It’s very easy to make a hand into a solid cast. I’ve done it for fighters in sparring, just to make sure their knuckles and wrists are stabilized. But no one would dare do it in a real fight because they would risk losing their license, and discredit their entire career,” said Steward.

Tim Lueckenhoff, president of the Association of Boxing Commissions, concurred, telling THE RING that handwrapping controversies are “very rare.”

For as long as fighters have worn gloves, they’ve tampered with the contents. Lew Jenkins was a master at shifting the padding around in his gloves. Fritzie Zivic once recalled, “He’d push the pads back so when you got hit with his punch, all he had was a little bit of leather in between there.” Describing how it felt to get hit in the forehead by Jenkins, Zivic said, “I thought the building fell on me.” At least Zivic lived to laugh about it.

Billy Collins Jr. was an undefeated prospect when he faced Luis Resto in Madison Square Garden back in 1983. After 10 rounds, Resto had slugged Collins into blind uselessness. After the fight, Collins’ father grabbed Resto’s gloved hand and felt nothing but knuckles. Someone had removed the horsehair lining from Resto’s gloves.

Collins’ eyes were permanently damaged. He would never fight again. Nine months later, drunk and depressed, he drove into a creek and died on impact. Veteran trainer Lee Black testified in court that he had witnessed Resto’s trainer, Carlos “Panama” Lewis, take the gloves into a bathroom and slit them with a scissors. Resto and Lewis served 2½ years in prison for, among other things, tampering with a sporting contest.

“I know any time that a horsehair glove is used, I certainly take note,” said Lueckenhoff, who explained the proper procedure for THE RING: “The gloves are supposed to be placed on the fighters in the presence of the inspector. Then the tape over the gloves are to be marked by the inspector to easily determine if they have been altered. In cases when an inspector has not viewed the wraps and the gloves have been applied, it is imperative that the gloves be removed and the handwraps inspected.

“Normally, handwraps are not inspected or retained after a fight.” The holy grail of discarded handwraps would be ones worn by Dempsey on July 4, 1919. That was the day he nearly slaughtered Willard for the heavyweight championship, caving in the side of Willard’s face and breaking his jaw in multiple places. In a posthumous memoir published in a January 1964 issue of Sports Illustrated, Dempsey’s manager, Jack “Doc” Kearns, claimed to have covered Dempsey’s wrapped hands with plaster of paris. Kearns was trying to ensure Dempsey would win by first-round knockout because of a $100,000 wager he’d placed. According to Kearns, Dempsey thought his hands were being sprinkled with talcum powder.

Dempsey, who had suffered these rumors in the past, was livid when the piece came out. He claimed Kearns was just a bitter old man telling lies. Dempsey often claimed the loaded glove theory was started by Willard, although he admitted to author Peter Heller that “in those days you could put all the tape on your hands that you wanted to.”

Tales of fighter’s plastering their hands or carrying flat-head bolts in their gloves were not unusual prior to the 1930s. Jim Jeffries, who defeated Bob Fitzsimmons twice, sincerely believed that “Ruby Robert” had something extra in his gloves. An unnamed member of Fitzsimmons’ camp went to the press years later and kept the ugly rumor going.

In 1925, Walk Miller, the manager of Tiger Flowers, accused Jack Delaney of loading his gloves when he knocked Flowers out in their New York bout. After an investigation, the commission found in favor of Delaney and suspended Miller for wasting their time.

When Delaney kayoed Flowers in a rematch, Delaney’s manager, Pete Reilly, made a point of cutting open Delaney’s gloves in front of the audience to prove his fighter’s hands weren’t gimmicked. Weeks after the publication of Kearns’ somewhat illogical story, Milwaukee Journal boxing writer Evans Kirby performed an experiment following Kearns’ exact description. All that resulted was a thin layer that cracked at the slightest touch. Still, Kearns’ memoir contained some persuasive points.
“In all his subsequent career, Dempsey never inflicted such dreadful damage on an opponent. And he did it to this one in the very first round,” Kearns wrote. “In those times you got away with everything possible. Turn your head, or let the other guy turn his, and knuckles were wrapped in heavy black bicycle tape or the thick lead foil in which bulk tea was packaged. The net result was much like hitting a man with a leather-padded mallet. The rules were lax then, officials were not at all fussy, and there were few boxing commissions.”

The tape used during those days, referred to as “insulation tape” or “tire tape,” was eventually prohibited and replaced by medical tape and gauze. But if Dempsey beat Willard with loaded gloves, he wasn’t alone. Ed “Gunboat” Smith did it too. Smith beat Willard by 20-round decision in 1913. “Tore his ear right off,” Smith said in a 1970 interview. “The blood was running down, and oh, God. I, of course, had my gloves loaded. I had insulation tape laid across my hands.” Smith claimed such tape was common, and that Willard probably wore some too. “In those days you could do it.”

Long forgotten in the Dempsey saga is the link between Dempsey and one of the game’s cruelest fighters, Kid McCoy. In 1920, Dempsey’s trainer, Jimmy DeForest, told Joe Vila of The New York Evening Sun, “When I handled Kid McCoy, I used to bandage his hands with a certain kind of adhesive tape. When McCoy slipped on the gloves, the tape hardened, and as a result he was able to inflict unusual punishment. I wound Dempsey’s hands with the same kind of bandages, which Willard inspected.” DeForest rebuffed the accusations that Dempsey used some kind of “aluminum” padding. “His bandages became hardened, no doubt, and that was why he cut Willard’s face to ribbons.” As for Kearns’ story, no one believed he would have kept the lore of the loaded gloves quiet for 40 years. Teddy Hayes, one of Dempsey’s seconds, said of Kearns, “He was dying and he was broke. He would have said anything for money.”

Also, Kearns had once been a fighter himself. He used to spin yarns of his days in boxing’s frontier towns, when he covered his own hands in plaster. Those close to Kearns wondered if the mental misfires of old age had caused Kearns to confuse Dempsey’s life with his own.“I was a product of the days—have they ever ended?—when it was every man for himself,” Kearns wrote. Things haven’t changed too much, Doc. Winning is still all that matters. And portions of the public still say nothing is a crime until you get caught...CONTINUED in the MAGAZINE
WolfishPromistah
Apparently we do not argue enough for the government to come down harder on this issue, for like gloves and wraps are required for every event, so too should be the methods to ensure fighters are dressed appropriately for what their job entails, such as the case is there will now supposedly be mandatory helmet wearing at ski slopes, whether for amateurs or not; only this follows “after” the untimely death of actress Natasha Richardson (this besides anyone else, mind you – still, another story).

But nevertheless, as in that case, there needs to be for boxing some better protection for our athletes.

Rules need to be enforced to where there is an around-the-board method on how camps are to be watched, what may / may not be worn and how the materials are put on at each and every single fight. For both trainers and any officials who are to sign off for a fighter to go out at each event, this must be universal, just as are boxing gloves and wraps that too “must be” worn. There is undoubtedly the need for stricter observation and guidelines. Otherwise, the heaviest consequences allowed by law will follow -- Period.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.