Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If Roach Trains Margarito What Does That Say About Him?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Sugar Q
Freddie Roach is rumored to be the new trainer for Antonio Margarito. If this ain't some BS tell me what it is and I wonder if this was Zab Judah and his father would he not be BANNED FOR LIFE FROM BOXING! This is BS!
Fitz
Are you saying that Margarito got off lightly because he isn't black? Or just saying that Zab Judah is really, really hated?
Mean Mister Mustard
I wonder what it says about all those other trainers that have worked with cheaters including Nazim Richardson who trains Mosley.
Lil-lightsout
First of all, I will keep the whole race thing out of it. What really bothers me the most is how first the WBC, then Mexico, and now Roach are supporting AM. What if the plaster was found after the fight was over and Mosley was physically really fucked up? AM would have been banned for life 100%. BUT because it was found before the fight, it is like he is getting a slap on the wrist because no damage was done in the Mosley fight. Heck, if it was found after the Cotto fight, he easily would have been banned for life too. In all seriousness, this is very bothersome and sad to me. So would have Roach trained AM if he would have beating one of Roach's fighters while using the plaster? No, he would be cursing him out for cheating. I still can not believe he is going to be allowed to fight again, after risking someones LIFE with that shit on his hands. It is despicable and AM is a piece of shit!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 27 2009, 10:25 PM) [snapback]429914[/snapback]
First of all, I will keep the whole race thing out of it. What really bothers me the most is how first the WBC, then Mexico, and now Roach are supporting AM. What if the plaster was found after the fight was over and Mosley was physically really fucked up? AM would have been banned for life 100%. BUT because it was found before the fight, it is like he is getting a slap on the wrist because no damage was done in the Mosley fight. Heck, if it was found after the Cotto fight, he easily would have been banned for life too. In all seriousness, this is very bothersome and sad to me. So would have Roach trained AM if he would have beating one of Roach's fighters while using the plaster? No, he would be cursing him out for cheating. I still can not believe he is going to be allowed to fight again, after risking someones LIFE with that shit on his hands. It is despicable and AM is a piece of shit!

If this doesn't convince anyone that the WBC is a joke then I don't know what will.
Spyder
It's going to take a while for Margarito to land another big payday...I honestly don't know why Roach is wasting his time. dntknw.gif
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 27 2009, 10:01 PM) [snapback]429911[/snapback]
Are you saying that Margarito got off lightly because he isn't black? Or just saying that Zab Judah is really, really hated?

I hate to say it but if it were Zab he would've easily been banned for life. Margarito should be banned for life no ifs, ands or buts and it says a lot about Roach for taking on such a clown. This is not like training someone on roids this is o direct assault. It's not like roids make your knuckles brick up.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 27 2009, 11:53 PM) [snapback]429933[/snapback]
I hate to say it but if it were Zab he would've easily been banned for life. Margarito should be banned for life no ifs, ands or buts and it says a lot about Roach for taking on such a clown. This is not like training someone on roids this is o direct assault. It's not like roids make your knuckles brick up.

Although what Manos de Plaster tried to do was worse than stereoids, you cannot argue that cheating is cheating. These trainers, well most of them, are in this for a paycheck. Plus it isn't Roach's job to know whether Margarito knew about the wraps or whether he didn't. PLus at this point this is just pure speculation that Roach will work with him. So leave the race comments for later when he actually takes the job.
D-MARV
There are some talks about a possible Jose Luis Castillo-Antonio Margarito fight in Mexico. Could be a nice payday for both fighters.
thisneverworks
Roach training Margarito tells me that he is interested only in the money, and not really in the sport itself. I can't respect anybody who associates themselves with a boxer that would have (and probably already has in the past) entered the ring with his hands being wrapped in plaster. I really liked Freddie Roach and the story of him overcoming his Parkinson's Symptoms to become a successful trainer but this really makes me root against rather than for him going forward.

I think Margarito should be banned for his life, have his record expunged, and I would go as far as hitting him with some criminal charges. He is the biggest fraud in the sport (aside from his Mexican front, considering he was born in California), a liar, and a thief. Good riddance.

btw...my new favorite boxer is anybody facing a Roach trained fighter if this does in fact go through.
hardhead
I also heard that Shaw wants to Match Angulo up with Margarito in the near future.
Snoop
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 28 2009, 04:53 AM) [snapback]429933[/snapback]

If it were Zab, I too think he would have been banned for life, but I don't think it has to do anything with race. I think it would more have to do with his history in the sport, i.e. nearly causing riots, threatening referees, etc. It's not like the social perception of Mexicans is that much better than blacks.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 28 2009, 12:41 AM) [snapback]429953[/snapback]
If it were Zab, I too think he would have been banned for life, but I don't think it has to do anything with race. I think it would more have to do with his history in the sport, i.e. nearly causing riots, threatening referees, etc. It's not like the social perception of Mexicans is that much better than blacks.

Unfortunately I think the sport holds Latin fighters in a higher regard than African American fighters. One look at DeLaHoya says it all. Here's a fighter that has lost most of his biggest fights but still can command more money than any other fighter. I think Latino fans are viewed as more loyal but even if this was Winky or Bernard I think they would be banned for life.
Fitz
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 28 2009, 04:42 PM) [snapback]429957[/snapback]
Unfortunately I think the sport holds Latin fighters in a higher regard than African American fighters. One look at DeLaHoya says it all. Here's a fighter that has lost most of his biggest fights but still can command more money than any other fighter. I think Latino fans are viewed as more loyal but even if this was Winky or Bernard I think they would be banned for life.

What about Tyson? Wasn't he one of the biggest paid fighters of all time, can still command more money than any other fighter and has lost most of his biggest fights? Last time I looked, Tyson looked pretty dark. I think the sport hold Ali in a pretty high regard also. Wouldn't you say he is one of the most highly regarded? What about Robinson and Leonard? These guys all look black to me.
Snoop
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 28 2009, 06:42 AM) [snapback]429957[/snapback]

No I honestly can't see a lifetime ban being put on Winky or Bernard if they had committed the same violation (which is hard to imagine in itself). If it was someone like Toney or Zab I could see it, but that has to do more with their personalities and public persona than race.

In regards to the DLH example, I think Fitz took all my examples. lol.
kidbazooka1
Roach is trying to get paid and whether it's right or wrong alot of people will be interested in Margs return to the US in most part due to all the drama thats going on.

SugarQ im interested to hear why you think the sport holds latino fighters in higher regard to african/american fighters?

Also De La Hoya is just as much an american as Winky and B hop.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 28 2009, 03:35 AM) [snapback]429960[/snapback]
Roach is trying to get paid and whether it's right or wrong alot of people will be interested in Margs return to the US in most part due to all the drama thats going on.

SugarQ im interested to hear why you think the sport holds latino fighters in higher regard to african/american fighters?

Also De La Hoya is just as much an american as Winky and B hop.

No funny stuff but why is there an HBO Boxing Latino on HBO? I love people an am TOTALLY colorblind. My family is a melting pot. I know we were all created equally but real talk PBF aint no more arrogant than Oscar (he has more mouth) but no more arrogant and Sugar Ray was far better so why is Oscar more celebrated? I'm a fan of his but I've seen many fighters far better get no fanfare or make no money. Like Marvelous Marvin Hagler (arguably the greatest middle-wt ever), Tommy Hearns and Pernell Whittaker). As for Tyson yeah he made money but he was also stripped of his manhood, who wants to pay that price? How do you get accused of raping a woman that shows up at your hotel room at 3 am after you were seen groping her at an event earlier that evening. Panama Lewis was jailed and banned for life for doing what should be less than hardening your fist (he broke the law and deserved his ban). Then you have Roach whom I was a big fan of agreeing to train this guy. I really don't think that most people in here would feel the same if it were Winky and Buddy McGirt. I think many would be calling for their ban. If I'm wrong I stand corrected but if I'm right the answer is for you to check yourself and see the wrong in feeling that way. I really don't think PBF would be under such scrutiny if he were other than African American. Again this does not apply to the man with a pure heart it only applies to the slick talkers that have deeply rooted issues with African Americans.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 28 2009, 11:54 AM) [snapback]429963[/snapback]
No funny stuff but why is there an HBO Boxing Latino on HBO? I love people an am TOTALLY colorblind. My family is a melting pot. I know we were all created equally but real talk PBF aint no more arrogant than Oscar (he has more mouth) but no more arrogant and Sugar Ray was far better so why is Oscar more celebrated? I'm a fan of his but I've seen many fighters far better get no fanfare or make no money. Like Marvelous Marvin Hagler (arguably the greatest middle-wt ever), Tommy Hearns and Pernell Whittaker). As for Tyson yeah he made money but he was also stripped of his manhood, who wants to pay that price? How do you get accused of raping a woman that shows up at your hotel room at 3 am after you were seen groping her at an event earlier that evening. Panama Lewis was jailed and banned for life for doing what should be less than hardening your fist (he broke the law and deserved his ban). Then you have Roach whom I was a big fan of agreeing to train this guy. I really don't think that most people in here would feel the same if it were Winky and Buddy McGirt. I think many would be calling for their ban. If I'm wrong I stand corrected but if I'm right the answer is for you to check yourself and see the wrong in feeling that way. I really don't think PBF would be under such scrutiny if he were other than African American. Again this does not apply to the man with a pure heart it only applies to the slick talkers that have deeply rooted issues with African Americans.

If, If, If, pure speculation on your part. I would be just as wrong in saying that if a black fighter had been caught with plaster instead of a Mexican then you wouldn't be as hard on them. That would be wrong of me or anyone to say, so don't try to make a big deal out of IF's.
JLUVBABY
i really dont think this is as much an ethnicity issue as it is a money issue.. my point is this.. it dont matter rather its marg. or hopkins.. golota or tyson.. point is if it where lets say a b level type fighter we would probably see an example get made and we would have seen a life time ban with probably charges being filed.. but a fighter like a mike tyson who took 2 bites out of holyfields ear gets a year suspension and is allowed to fight again... and tyson is my man in boxing but i call it like i see it and tyson got a year cuzz he brings in the big money.. marg. got a year cuzz he also brings in money not on the level of a tyson but he generates asses in seats... should they both and any other fighter that bites uses steroids or plaster or what ever the cheat is be banned.. hell yeah.. but if they generate money for the comission they will slap the wrist and we will see them again...
Vodoo
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 28 2009, 10:54 AM) [snapback]429963[/snapback]
I have no problem with their being an HBO Latino. Latino's support not only the sport of boxing but also other Latino fighters to such a hardcore degree that I think they deserve their own network. Plus, you have the countrty of mexico as well as the spanish language that incorporates it all. I really just look at HBO Latino almost as a minor boxing league only there are more mexicans on that level than anything. Do you honestly think they could make a minor league level showcasing any other race like that? I highly doubt it. But if you make it latino, those hardcore fans are going to support it, and they do. Besides we've had BET for years, so let's not go pulling the race card when other races make a strictly all race channel or show (unless of course white people do it).

Oscar's success also had nothing to do with race. HBO didn't intentionally make him anymore popular than Sugar Ray. And if they had they wouldn't have only done so because Oscar was hispanic and Ray was black. Why would they forgoe millions of dollars just to keep the blackman down? Nobody is that racist. No, Oscar's popularity and success is all due to Arum's brilliant managment of him early in his career, playing off his good looks and gold medal win in the olympics. Remember it wasn't a big mexican fan base that made Oscar successful and popular, it was a huge female fan base that did.

Also what scrutiny is PBF under? Because I don't see him under any negative talk. If he was it wouldn't be too much of a surprise because he runs his fucking mouth and beats up women all the time. I agree with Snoopnick that it's more of a fighter's persona and reputation than his race that has to do with him getting in to trouble. Like he said, maybe Zab gets a lifetime ban but I couldn't see it happening to Winky. There is a big race problem in America and a lot of double standards but I disagree that the ones you mentioned are in fact true.
Vodoo
I think for Roach to sit there and say how much he believes AM is pure bullshit. Roach is starting to remind me of Manny Stewart in that he'll sell out for the money. Had Roach simply said, Margarito accepted his punishment and we'll move on to fairly compete in the sport, I would have accepted that. Instead he tells us this bullshit about how he believe's Margarito's innocence, and worse will try to get him a retrial in 6 months.

What's really bad about this whole thing is Roach himself is a victim of brain damage in the ring, and now he's going to support a guy who's hands were illegally wrapped in a manner as to possibly cause that same type of damage to another fighter. There is no bigger level of selling out the sport and your soul than that my friends. The level of hypicrosy is enourmous.
JLUVBABY
the latinos make up a very large number of the boxing fan base these days.. i see nuthin what so ever wrong with boxing latino.. i watch some of the fights on the hispanic channels and tho i dont know what is being said most of those fights are very good evenly matched fights... i enjoy them...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Vodoo @ Mar 28 2009, 12:23 PM) [snapback]429981[/snapback]
I think for Roach to sit there and say how much he believes AM is pure bullshit. Roach is starting to remind me of Manny Stewart in that he'll sell out for the money. Had Roach simply said, Margarito accepted his punishment and we'll move on to fairly compete in the sport, I would have accepted that. Instead he tells us this bullshit about how he believe's Margarito's innocence, and worse will try to get him a retrial in 6 months.

What's really bad about this whole thing is Roach himself is a victim of brain damage in the ring, and now he's going to support a guy who's hands were illegally wrapped in a manner as to possibly cause that same type of damage to another fighter. There is no bigger level of selling out the sport and your soul than that my friends. The level of hypicrosy is enourmous.

Freddy "the joke coach" Roach says that about every fighter he trains...lol
Snoop
No funny stuff but why is there an HBO Boxing Latino on HBO?
HBO didn't create Boxing Latino because they viewed Latinos as more loyal or deserving, they created it because there was a big enough Latino audience that would order their services if they offered it. Money unfortunately supersedes everything. As someone mentioned earlier, Tyson bit off someone's ear for god's sake and was still allowed to fight, but only because people could still manage to make millions off him.

Then you have Roach whom I was a big fan of agreeing to train this guy. I really don't think that most people in here would feel the same if it were Winky and Buddy McGirt. I think many would be calling for their ban.

Well Roach just took this guy on. If people were to call for a ban, they'd be calling for a ban of Margarito and Ceptillo, which I believe a lot of people on this board are.

Besides we've had BET for years, so let's not go pulling the race card when other races make a strictly all race channel or show (unless of course white people do it).

BET is actually owned by the same owners of MTV, a corporation, like most, that has a majority white staff behind it. You could arguably say that most mainstream television stations are targeted towards a white audience anyways.

But again, that's probably because white people have most the money in the US (and probably in general) so they make it relative and appealing to white audiences. If some other race had more buying power, we'd start seeing more products/programming offered to that group. When it comes to making money, corporations are colorblind. I think Wu-Tang said it best: Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
Snoop
double post
JLUVBABY
most people may not remember this but B.E.T used to show live boxing.. benard hopkins had a bunch of his early fights on b.e.t...
dbdbdb
QUOTE(JLUVBABY @ Mar 28 2009, 01:39 PM) [snapback]429985[/snapback]
the latinos make up a very large number of the boxing fan base these days.. i see nuthin what so ever wrong with boxing latino.. i watch some of the fights on the hispanic channels and tho i dont know what is being said most of those fights are very good evenly matched fights... i enjoy them...

Another reason that hasn't been touched ..... is the language of the station. There are few stations dedicated to spanish in the USA and since the Latino community are advid boxing fans it only makes sense to setup a spanish speaking station that shows boxing.

Back to The Roach,
He sees this as an opportunity to get his name out in the forefront of boxing as a trainer. Plus the financial rewards won't hurt ... right or wrong .... there have been much more shadier things in boxing and his move fits right in the mix.

Its the norm in boxing.

Sugar Q
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 28 2009, 01:48 PM) [snapback]429991[/snapback]
HBO didn't create Boxing Latino because they viewed Latinos as more loyal or deserving, they created it because there was a big enough Latino audience that would order their services if they offered it. Money unfortunately supersedes everything. As someone mentioned earlier, Tyson bit off someone's ear for god's sake and was still allowed to fight, but only because people could still manage to make millions off him.
Well Roach just took this guy on. If people were to call for a ban, they'd be calling for a ban of Margarito and Ceptillo, which I believe a lot of people on this board are.
BET is actually owned by the same owners of MTV, a corporation, like most, that has a majority white staff behind it. You could arguably say that most mainstream television stations are targeted towards a white audience anyways.

But again, that's probably because white people have most the money in the US (and probably in general) so they make it relative and appealing to white audiences. If some other race had more buying power, we'd start seeing more products/programming offered to that group. When it comes to making money, corporations are colorblind. I think Wu-Tang said it best: Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

I'm not at all against Boxing Latino. I thinks it's cool whenever boxing get's a platform and Bob Johnson (an African American) owned BET when B-hop had fights there. BET was later sold to Viacom in a billion dollar deal. I agree corporations are colorblind when it comes to making money but not distributing it. The athletes, celebs, etc. are just beginning to reap the benefits of years of abuse but that's a whole other topic. Again it shouldn't offend a person unless their guilty. If your not spread the love if you are than it was written centuries ago: when truth and persecution arises immediately are they offended. I didn't write it smile.gif
Sugar Q
Oh and by the way guys if you haven't seen it yet here's Cotto's response to the findings:

Cotto comments on Margarito!
"He should never step into a boxing ring again"

WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto has commented on the news that Antonio Margarito was found to have elements of plaster of Paris in his handwraps before his bout with Shane Mosley. “I understand that Margarito not only played with my health but he played with health of many boxers,” said Cotto. “Only God knows. I have received punishment in my career but I never had my face swell like in that fight. In the heat of the fight I didn’t feel the punches, but my face didn’t say that. I understand that one year of suspension is not much for the kind of unsportsmanlike act that Margarito presented against Mosley. He deserves the same suspension as trainer Panama Lewis. He should never step into a boxing ring again.”
Snoop
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 28 2009, 07:41 PM) [snapback]429997[/snapback]
I'm not at all against Boxing Latino. I thinks it's cool whenever boxing get's a platform and Bob Johnson (an African American) owned BET when B-hop had fights there. BET was later sold to Viacom in a billion dollar deal. I agree corporations are colorblind when it comes to making money but not distributing it. The athletes, celebs, etc. are just beginning to reap the benefits of years of abuse but that's a whole other topic. Again it shouldn't offend a person unless their guilty. If your not spread the love if you are than it was written centuries ago: when truth and persecution arises immediately are they offended. I didn't write it smile.gif

I wasn't trying to imply that you are against Boxing Latino, I'm merely saying that the reasons Boxing Latino was created, IMO, are different from what you think.
Snoop
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 28 2009, 07:41 PM) [snapback]429997[/snapback]

I wasn't trying to imply that you are against Boxing Latino, I'm merely saying that the reasons Boxing Latino was created, IMO, are different from what you think.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 28 2009, 02:48 PM) [snapback]430000[/snapback]

I never gave a lot of thought to why they created Boxing Latino and I genuinely have nothing but love for my Latino, White, Black, Asian, etc. BROTHERS so let's put that to bed immediately. I just feel sometimes that some are given preferential treatment. Just my honest opinion. It doesn't shape or make me it's just an observation.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 28 2009, 12:32 PM) [snapback]429965[/snapback]
If, If, If, pure speculation on your part. I would be just as wrong in saying that if a black fighter had been caught with plaster instead of a Mexican then you wouldn't be as hard on them. That would be wrong of me or anyone to say, so don't try to make a big deal out of IF's.

Then you would have totally read my character wrong. I'm NEVER pro-black. I try to be pro-right. If it were my mother or father that were wrong I would say it just as I would stand corrected if I were wrong. So please don't take this as a hypocritical, small-minded assessment. If it were whomever it wouldn't matter.
Snoop
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 28 2009, 07:59 PM) [snapback]430003[/snapback]
I never gave a lot of thought to why they created Boxing Latino and I genuinely have nothing but love for my Latino, White, Black, Asian, etc. BROTHERS so let's put that to bed immediately. I just feel sometimes that some are given preferential treatment. Just my honest opinion. It doesn't shape or make me it's just an observation.

Dude. Nobody here is accusing you of hating on Latinos or anyone of any other race for that matter. Well, at least I'm not. You said Latinos are viewed as more loyal and given preferential treatment in boxing, hence Boxing Latino. I'm saying there is a large Spanish speaking fanbase that brings $$, hence Boxing Latino. I don't know why you're taking it as an attack on your personal character.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 28 2009, 03:11 PM) [snapback]430005[/snapback]
Dude. Nobody here is accusing you of hating on Latinos or anyone of any other race for that matter. Well, at least I'm not. You said Latinos are viewed as more loyal and given preferential treatment in boxing, hence Boxing Latino. I'm saying there is a large Spanish speaking fanbase that brings $$, hence Boxing Latino. I don't know why you're taking it as an attack on your personal character.

My dude, if we were sitting having a conversation you would know that Boxing Latino doesn't have much to do with what I'm saying. Please don't take my comment as divisive at all. Just an observation. I don't take this personal at all but I don't want my comments to be taken out of context either. It's cool and nothing but love on my end smile.gif
Vodoo
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 28 2009, 12:48 PM) [snapback]429991[/snapback]

BET was only recently owned by Viacom. For several years it was black owned. Regardless that station is and always has been targeted for the black community, just as HBO is white owned but HBO Latino is targeted at a Latino audience. It's all about creating an avenue for these races to have their own programming they can relate to and to capitalze off of it.
Snoop
QUOTE(Vodoo @ Mar 28 2009, 10:23 PM) [snapback]430020[/snapback]
BET was only recently owned by Viacom. For several years it was black owned. Regardless that station is and always has been targeted for the black community, just as HBO is white owned but HBO Latino is targeted at a Latino audience. It's all about creating an avenue for these races to have their own programming they can relate to and to capitalze off of it.

Hmm. Didn't know BET used to be black owned. But I think we're in agreement about the rest of your post.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Mar 28 2009, 06:35 PM) [snapback]430024[/snapback]
Hmm. Didn't know BET used to be black owned. But I think we're in agreement about the rest of your post.

Yeah, he's like the richest black guy ever. He owns the Wizards too, I think. maybe a part owner of the Nationals or something?
Sugar Q
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 28 2009, 07:45 PM) [snapback]430030[/snapback]
Yeah, he's like the richest black guy ever. He owns the Wizards too, I think. maybe a part owner of the Nationals or something?

The Bobcats
uppercutking
BET Was actually owned by Robert Johson the first black billionare and margarcheto should be banned for life
JLUVBABY
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Mar 28 2009, 01:43 PM) [snapback]429998[/snapback]
Oh and by the way guys if you haven't seen it yet here's Cotto's response to the findings:

Cotto comments on Margarito!
"He should never step into a boxing ring again"

WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto has commented on the news that Antonio Margarito was found to have elements of plaster of Paris in his handwraps before his bout with Shane Mosley. “I understand that Margarito not only played with my health but he played with health of many boxers,” said Cotto. “Only God knows. I have received punishment in my career but I never had my face swell like in that fight. In the heat of the fight I didn’t feel the punches, but my face didn’t say that. I understand that one year of suspension is not much for the kind of unsportsmanlike act that Margarito presented against Mosley. He deserves the same suspension as trainer Panama Lewis. He should never step into a boxing ring again.”

i agree with cotto... no way marg. didnt know what was going on and its wasnt the first time i am willing to bet (common scence says so)...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.