Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Williams vs, Wright: Preview and Picks
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jack 1000
Who will win the upcoming Saturday night fight on HBO between Paul Williams and Wnky Wright. Vote in the poll!

Jack

Administrator
KookedKrack
common sense says williams by dec because of his workrate but i voted wright by ko i got a feeling idk could just be gas
The CEO
lol...I got the opposite feelin'...that Williams is gonna put on the show of his life and stop an uninspired and noticeably rusty Wright.
Lil-lightsout
I picked Winky by KO/TKO. I will be shocked if PW can stop Winky, and give him props if he does. If Winky has anything left he will win, but being off so long, it is hard to pick this fight not knowing what to expect fron Winky. But I will still pick Winky in this fight, though I have seen PW improve.
D-MARV
Pwill TKO10...

Winky will quit on the stool or his corner will quit for him. This will probably be beatdown of the year. Similar to Calzaghe-Jones!
Al Hata
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 7 2009, 04:06 PM) [snapback]430950[/snapback]
lol...I got the opposite feelin'...that Williams is gonna put on the show of his life and stop an uninspired and noticeably rusty Wright.

Agree with this.
Box in Hand
I'm going with Winky on this one. He's never been stopped so I think I'll count that one as the absolute last way for him to lose. I think Winky takes it via SD. Shit, he better win after all that damn complaining about not getting his chance to shine.
Jack 1000
Williams by close decision, likely split, with Wright doing almost enough, but not quite enough to win and than bitching about it afterward.

Jack
WolfishPromistah
Williams stops Winky Wright 4th round
Mean Mister Mustard
Apparently the fight is having dismall ticket sales. Whoever wins this fight will most likely be avoided with the excuse that they are not attractions. Unless they look like crap.

I think this will be a very hard fight to score with Williams hitting mostly gloves and Wright landing the cleaner shots but not doing much damage. After this people will say Williams suck.
woooooo
Winky by UD.
D-MARV
Winky's defense is OVERRATED. He had good Defense in his prime, but when was the last time Winky left a fight "NOT" looking bruised and busted up?
Box in Hand
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Apr 7 2009, 06:04 PM) [snapback]430965[/snapback]
Williams stops Winky Wright 4th round

I'm willing to put a few dead presidents on the fact that that won't happen. Are we forgetting the man who crippled Trinidad with a jab or who beat Mosely twice with wit, heart, and skill. Are we forgetting the man who beat Jermaine Taylor before Pavlik (Unofficialy of course). Are we forgetting the man who moved up in weight and gave Hopkins such a run for his money that after the fight, Hopkins said the pace of the fight made him not want to fight anymore. This man may loose a close decision but he will not be knocked out. I know he's had a layoff but he is no slouch.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 7 2009, 11:32 PM) [snapback]430962[/snapback]
Williams by decision. I will be interested to see how Williams handles another southpaw. Unfortunately I will miss the fight as I will be away, so may have to download it when I get back.

That is funny as I will be down in Melbourne this weekend & probably will not get to watch the fight either.
JD
I just don't see a stoppage in this one either way.

I think Williams is going to be surprised by how strong Winky is.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Apr 7 2009, 04:22 PM) [snapback]430952[/snapback]
Pwill TKO10...

Winky will quit on the stool or his corner will quit for him. This will probably be beatdown of the year. Similar to Calzaghe-Jones!

You've completely fell off of your rocker if you think this fight is going to be as one sided.

I'm a huge fan of PWill and I'm really looking forward to seeing him become P4P #1 but Saturday night wont be his night. I'm pulling for Winky in this one, he wont be stopped and this will go to the card. He either gets a razor thin UD or a SD.

For some reason I feel like this is going to look like Taylor vs. Winky...I dont know why, I just do. But of course Winky gets the nod.
D-MARV
QUOTE(3King3 @ Apr 7 2009, 09:39 PM) [snapback]430980[/snapback]
You've completely fell off of your rocker if you think this fight is going to be as one sided.

I'm a huge fan of PWill and I'm really looking forward to seeing him become P4P #1 but Saturday night wont be his night. I'm pulling for Winky in this one, he wont be stopped and this will go to the card. He either gets a razor thin UD or a SD.

For some reason I feel like this is going to look like Taylor vs. Winky...I dont know why, I just do. But of course Winky gets the nod.

This will look nothng like Taylor-Winky. PWll will never go to the ropes!

You, my friend, will be the biggest PWill NUTHUGGER after Saturday.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Apr 7 2009, 09:42 PM) [snapback]430982[/snapback]

I agree with 3KING3 here, for a couple of reasons.

1- PW is fighting a damn good experienced fighter in Winky.
2- Winky is a true middleweight, PW is still untested in these waters at this weight against quality opposition.
3- PW did get embarrassed by Quintana, sorry can not get that out of my head.
4- PW is easy to hit, and if Winky still has anything left, he should be able to check that chin.
5- I have never seen PW hurt yet, his confidence could hurt him if he does not respect Winky's punch and gets caught.
6- Winky should be highly motivated for this opportunity, and has had plenty of time to train.

Overall, I think this should be a close fight, and I am picking Winky in this one. I just think his experience will win it for him. If PW does win it over a good Winky, I will give him props. I have seen improvement in PW, but if Winky can let his hands go enough, he can expose PW lack of defense. But if PW is this unstoppable buzzsaw and destroys Winky in impressive fashion, I will be very impressed.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Apr 7 2009, 09:42 PM) [snapback]430982[/snapback]

I surely will not. This is a win win for me either way it goes. I'm a big fan of both. I just feel like PWill will have to dig to the bottom and fight his way up to pull out a win let alone an impressive win or a KO over Winky. The only thing I see hurting Winky may be his work rate and we'll have to see if he got old or not. I'm still going with WINKY!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 8 2009, 01:27 AM) [snapback]430979[/snapback]
What are you doing in Melbourne, or where are you staying? I will be in Flinders Island, doing some game fishing.

The lady lives down there so I am having 4 days R&R with her. She lives near St Kilda.
Nay_Sayer
Hmmmm....

The logical pick here is Winky, BUT, I'm having a few reservations on this one.

First, Winky is getting OLE' and, IMO, didn't look all that good in his last fight. Second, when was his last fight @ 160lbs? Dec of 2006. I have doubts that Winky can still comfortably make the weight.

I'll reserve my pick until after the weigh-in but leaning towards Williams in this one....
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 7 2009, 10:23 PM) [snapback]430985[/snapback]
I have never understood the feeling that Williams got embarrassed or beaten thoroughly by Quintana. I thought Quintana won, and gave it to him by maybe 2 rounds or something, but watching it, I knew Williams would make adjustments. People exaggerate that fight hard. It wasn't one sided, or a huge loss. It was a close fight that Quintana won and Williams didn't seem to be at his best. I didn't read much into that fight now and won't then. People are blowing that fight up bigger than it is. A young and inexperienced fight got a close loss early in his career. He has moved on and I really don't pay much attention to that fight.

PW did not have much of an amateur background, and in that fight it showed as Quintana showed to be the much more polished fighter. I remember Quintana bouncing many clean shots off of PW throughout the fight, lucky Quintana has little power and seems PW has a good chin. I thought Quintana won it comfortably. The rematch PW blasted him out of there and did not let Quintana do it again. PW has used his swarming style and power to pretty much overwhelm all his oppenents to date. I THINK with Winky, we have a good chance of seeing the first Quintana fight all over. I do not think he is going to be able to get away with the stuff he usually does against smaller, lesser fighters. I think Winky will be able to counter the crap out of PW, IF Winky can let his hands go enough and has something left in the tank. I have been waiting for PW to have a fight like this, to see if he deserves all this hype.

If PW can win impressively over a good Winky, I will not harp on that fight anymore and just chalk it up as an early learning experience. But if I am right, I want everyone to bow down to me. grin.gif
Imperius3
Wright is the better boxer, and if this fight was happening a couple of years ago I would pick Wright. Wright has been out of the game for a long time though. In the past, he has also struggled against fighters with good work rates.

I'm leaning towards Williams by close decision. I don't think Williams is the better boxer, but his work rate might be too much for an old Wright. I'll make a final pick when I see the weigh-in.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Paul Williams. Guys are never the same after they've been in the ring with Hard Nard. LOL
Douchebag
the only reason why the first Quintana fight was remotely close was because of Carlos' stamina issues. The rounds that Quintana won, he won them thoroughly! The second time they fought Quintana just got cought cold, but I'm not convinced that in a long drawn out fight that PWill would have been able to stop him from doing same thing.
The Original MrFactor
Williams by WIDE decision. Sam Soliman gave Winky problems due to activity. Williams is bigger and even more active. Hell, he may even stop Winky due to accumulation late. I fully expect lots of blood and guts for this fight. Williams may lose a round or 2 somewhere because he has some difficulty with southpaws, but I think he has learbed since Quintanna 1, to adjust.
D-MARV
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Apr 8 2009, 07:41 AM) [snapback]431022[/snapback]
Williams by WIDE decision. Sam Soliman gave Winky problems due to activity. Williams is bigger and even more active. Hell, he may even stop Winky due to accumulation late. I fully expect lots of blood and guts for this fight. Williams may lose a round or 2 somewhere because he has some difficulty with southpaws, but I think he has learbed since Quintanna 1, to adjust.

You are a smart man!
Douchebag
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Apr 8 2009, 07:41 AM) [snapback]431022[/snapback]

Bold prediction. Sam gave Winky problems but it wasn't like it was a close fight. Winky won the fight fairly easily, he just didn't look good doing it because of Sams awkward crouching style.
BrutalBodyShots
Winky hasn't fought in damn near 2 years (and it was a loss to Hopkins) and Williams fought 4 times in 2008. Give me the younger, fresher, active guy over the old guy that hasn't been in the ring. Winky isn't 25 years old anymore and shouldn't have such long layoffs... and certainly should take a tuneup fight against a sure win before getting in there against a young, hungry kind of guy.

EirbinX
Should i Be Surprised if winky is KO/TKO'ed
Douchebag
Wow at some of the predictions in this thread. Winky has never been seriously hurt in his career and has faced bigger, much bigger punchers than PWill. Where is the respect for his chin and not to mention his defense?
D-MARV
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 8 2009, 09:56 AM) [snapback]431027[/snapback]
Wow at some of the predictions in this thread. Winky has never been seriously hurt in his career and has faced bigger, much bigger punchers than PWill. Where is the respect for his chin and not to mention his defense?

Winky's defense is no longer great! He's been touched up quite a bit in his last 4 or 5 fights. Taylor had a lot success with Winky when he wasn't against the ropes. PWill will throw twice as much as JT and he wont't back up against the ropes. Winky will recieve a brutal beating and will be saved by his corner.
Douchebag
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Apr 8 2009, 10:25 AM) [snapback]431028[/snapback]
Winky's defense is no longer great! He's been touched up quite a bit in his last 4 or 5 fights. Taylor had a lot success with Winky when he wasn't against the ropes. PWill will throw twice as much as JT and he wont't back up against the ropes. Winky will recieve a brutal beating and will be saved by his corner.

We'll have to see how PWill deals with Winky's Jab first. That Kool Laid must me Hell "A" GOOD. LOL
D-MARV
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 8 2009, 10:29 AM) [snapback]431029[/snapback]
We'll have to see how PWill deals with Winky's Jab first. That Kool Laid must me Hell "A" GOOD. LOL

Forget Winky's jab... He beat Trinidad with his jab and now he has the best jab in the world? LOL

Winky wont be able to jab because he'll be to busy trying to cover up in his old ass shell. This will be a sad fight. It will be Calzaghe-Jones minus the first round knockdown.
Sugar Q
TOUGH FIGHT! If PW wins he has a strong case for P4P champion specially with his willingness to come back down to 147 (which is beyond me) but if so he would be the man to beat. If Winky wins then he's back in the thick of things. Nobody get's walked over if Winky is half of what he was Paul will be tested. If PW stops Winky (which would surprise me) all hail to the new king.
Method
I got Wink by dec, and I'll likely be laying monney on him as an underdog too. I think Team Williams has not only bitten off more than it can chew here, but I dont even think they've realized it. I think they are completely underestimating Wright.

Wright has been in there with the likes of Hopkins, Mosley, Taylor, Vargas, etc, etc...Beat all of em except for Hopkins. Williams lost to fucking Carlos Quintana, and, though he SMOKED him in the rematch, I cant escape the fact that he got outboxed by him ever. We never see any of that wth the elite guys.

I dunno. I could be wrong here, but I got Wink in this one, and you know what? I am genuinely pulling for Wright here too. I'd like to see him get this "W" and get into another high-profile fight.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Method @ Apr 8 2009, 02:26 PM) [snapback]431042[/snapback]
I got Wink by dec, and I'll likely be laying money on him as an underdog too. I think Team Williams has not only bitten off more than it can chew here, but I don't even think they've realized it. I think they are completely underestimating Wright.

Wright has been in there with the likes of Hopkins, Mosley, Taylor, Vargas, etc, etc...Beat all of em except for Hopkins. Williams lost to fucking Carlos Quintana, and, though he SMOKED him in the rematch, I cant escape the fact that he got out boxed by him ever. We never see any of that wth the elite guys.

I dunno. I could be wrong here, but I got Wink in this one, and you know what? I am genuinely pulling for Wright here too. I'd like to see him get this "W" and get into another high-profile fight.

Kinda agree with you. If Winky is Winky Paul will get schooled but if Winky fell off there's a chance he could get outworked but I do lean towards Winky being Winky. A PW win would be an upset.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Apr 8 2009, 02:26 PM) [snapback]431042[/snapback]
I Wright has been in there with the likes of Hopkins, Mosley, Taylor, Vargas, etc, etc...Beat all of em except for Hopkins.

LOL... He lost to Vargas and had a draw with Taylor.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Apr 8 2009, 04:40 PM) [snapback]431045[/snapback]

Point is he's never been outboxed like Williams was.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 8 2009, 04:55 PM) [snapback]431048[/snapback]
Point is he's never been outboxed like Williams was.

Shit happens! It wasn't like Quintana blew him out. Winky is nothing like Quintana. This will be a much easier fight then Quintana I.
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Apr 8 2009, 04:40 PM) [snapback]431045[/snapback]

I scored both of those fights for Wright.

Didn't you?
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Apr 8 2009, 06:13 PM) [snapback]431052[/snapback]
I scored both of those fights for Wright.

Didn't you?

Yes, I actually did.

But they were close fights that could have gone either way... In fact, Wright gave both those fights away IMO... He didn't close the show.
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Apr 8 2009, 06:45 PM) [snapback]431053[/snapback]
Yes, I actually did.

But they were close fights that could have gone either way... In fact, Wright gave both those fights away IMO... He didn't close the show.

The Vargas fight he let off...but I thought it did not matter. The Taylor fight I did not see him giving away at all, both guys slowed down late.

D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Apr 8 2009, 06:58 PM) [snapback]431058[/snapback]
The Vargas fight he let off...but I thought it did not matter. The Taylor fight I did not see him giving away at all, both guys slowed down late.

I admit I'm wrong about the Taylor fight. I definitely thought Winky won that fight. He didn't do anything in the 12th but neither did Taylor. I was just pointing out the fact that he was giving credit to Winky for that win when in reality that wasn't the case.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Apr 8 2009, 07:01 PM) [snapback]431059[/snapback]
I admit I'm wrong about the Taylor fight. I definitely thought Winky won that fight. He didn't do anything in the 12th but neither did Taylor. I was just pointing out the fact that he was giving credit to Winky for that win when in reality that wasn't the case.

He wasn't giving him credit for a win, he was just saying that he's been in there with the best and always had an argument for winning a fight.
D-MARV
Ok.. I gotcha!

JD

LOL...nah man, I am not trying to force an admission...I was just offering my view and asking yours. I think Method's point was that Winky has fought Hopkins, Mosley, Taylor and Vargas, and outside of Hopkins, he probably beat them all.

The Simon fight was originally a majority draw and magically changed - he may have lost it, though it was damn close...and the Vazquez fight was just bizarre.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Apr 8 2009, 07:08 PM) [snapback]431064[/snapback]
LOL...nah man, I am not trying to force an admission...I was just offering my view and asking yours. I think Method's point was that Winky has fought Hopkins, Mosley, Taylor and Vargas, and outside of Hopkins, he probably beat them all.

The Simon fight was originally a draw and magically changed and he may have lost it, though it was damn close...and the Vazquez fight was just bizarre.

LOL... I was going to bring up the Vasquez fight in one of my earlier posts but I didn't because that was some "bizarre" shit. I rather just forget about that fight!
D-MARV
Yeah, Brutal was right on the mark.

Thats the main difference in this fight. The activity level.
The CEO

Taylor-Wright was a perfect Draw to me....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.