Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bradley has to give up a belt.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
The WBC told Bradley he had 15 days to make up his mind about which belt he wanted to keep, either the WBO or WBC. I'm sure they have their reasons but with decisions like this being made it will be hard to unify or declare one lineal champion clearly!

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=19332

I dont really like the idea of The Ring declaring who is what champ on paper...I'd rather see it settled in the ring.
Jack 1000
There was a similar issue with Barrera where the WBC years ago would not accept WBO champions. (Something to do with some rules Constitution differences.) Than, they allowed it. There have been known issues between Jose Suliman (WBC President) and Paco Varcarcel (WBO President) in the past.

This is where it's unfortunate that Tim Bradley does not have the power of Don King as his promoter. Don could work out some agreement with the WBC/WBO to allow Bradley to keep both belts. The winner of the fight also has a mandatory defense stipulated in the contract with Devon Alexander who is #1 in the WBC.

The other issue is that these #1 contenders could be threatening legal action against the WBC and other federations if they don't get their shots and because the alphabet federations cannot force unifiers, being afraid of legal action, this could be why they are taking this position. Alexander may be saying I want my shot at Bradley or the vacant WBC title, or else I'm going to court. I think Alexander is putting pressure on the WBC.

Jack
King Eugene
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Apr 9 2009, 03:32 AM) [snapback]431127[/snapback]
There was a similar issue with Barrera where the WBC years ago would not accept WBO champions. (Something to do with some rules Constitution differences.) Than, they allowed it. There have been known issues between Jose Suliman (WBC President) and Paco Varcarcel (WBO President) in the past.

This is where it's unfortunate that Tim Bradley does not have the power of Don King as his promoter. Don could work out some agreement with the WBC/WBO to allow Bradley to keep both belts. The winner of the fight also has a mandatory defense stipulated in the contract with Devon Alexander who is #1 in the WBC.

The other issue is that these #1 contenders could be threatening legal action against the WBC and other federations if they don't get their shots and because the alphabet federations cannot force unifiers, being afraid of legal action, this could be why they are taking this position. Alexander may be saying I want my shot at Bradley or the vacant WBC title, or else I'm going to court. I think Alexander is putting pressure on the WBC.

Jack

Now it makes more sense. Its still unfortunate though.
Big Slim Sweet
It's garbage is what it is.

I'm assuming the WBC accepted their sanctioning fee for the Bradley-Holt unification, right? They didn't have a problem with it then. Yet less than a week later they're telling the winner he has to give up one or the other. Pathetic.
Nay_Sayer
Doesn't Pavlik hold the WBC and WBO belts @ 160?
thefloatingmonkey
QUOTE (Big Slim @ Apr 9 2009, 10:37 AM) *
It's garbage is what it is.

I'm assuming the WBC accepted their sanctioning fee for the Bradley-Holt unification, right? They didn't have a problem with it then. Yet less than a week later they're telling the winner he has to give up one or the other. Pathetic.

Yeah that is total crap. Pay your sanctioning fee, but you can't keep the belt. Boxing annoys me sometimes!
blackbelt2003
The sanctioning boys are only following their rules.

If they gave Bradley an extra few months to make a decision, Devon Alexander would sue the fuck out of them and we'd all be saying 'the WBC are screwing Alexander over'.

They can't win.

Fighters should fight more often to take care of their mandatories like Hopkins, Jones Jr and other unified champs did. There's still time to squeeze in the unifications and big fights if they're prepared to fight four times a year, which, let's face it, is what should be happening.

It's when they only want to fight once a year and cherry pick fights, that's when it doesn't work to hold more than one belt.

On a more critical note, the sanctioning boys should change their rules so that a unified champion gets slightly longer to make a mandatory. Surely having one unified champ in a a big fight makes them more money than having a unknown champ fighting for peanuts? I don't see how it makes business sense for them to take 10% of a little fight instead of 5% from a big named undisputed champ?

Black
D-MARV
Fuck the politics.

Floyd Mayweather held the WBC belt while he took fights with Oscar and Hatton. At the end of the day, it's all about the money.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Apr 10 2009, 08:39 AM) *
If they gave Bradley an extra few months to make a decision, Devon Alexander would sue the fuck out of them and we'd all be saying 'the WBC are screwing Alexander over'.

But they're not giving Bradley 15 days to decide whether to fight Alexander or not. They're giving him 15 days to decide which title he has to drop. What was the point of the unification then? Why can't he fight Alexander as the unified champ?
MarzB
Totally agree its all about money or "status" of the said player

It wouldn't surprise me ONE BIT if they took Bradley's belt and then made the Hatton vs. Pacquiao fight FOR THAT belt.
Jack 1000
I've had a pretty decent rapport in contacting the WBC with their feedback over the years. I'll try to contact them this weekend and find out more of what this is all about. There MAY have been a stipulation on the contract that the winner of the fight had to give up one belt. But I will try to find out why. Because the WBC did amend its policy some years ago about accepting WBO champions, (which they now accept.)

There's got to be something with what Matt (Blackbelt) said about the threat of litigation from Alexander. Although obviously I would not expect the WBC to discuss any such issues to the public. I will however ask why Tim Bradley could not hold both belts if he were to agree to fight Alexander in his first defense?

Something about Alexander as the #1 guy has to be making the WBC saying you can only keep one belt. It would than make one question, who Bradley would fight next? Jose Sulkiman according to that link said that Bradley contacted the WBC and said he wants to keep the WBO title. It seems that the WBC belt has more world recognition than the WBO belt. The WBO and its title fights never seem to leave Europe.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.