Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone train or fight MMA?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Training Tips
BigG
Anyone here?
ROLL DEEP
I've done bits and bobs.

I wouldn't say I've trained in it properly.

Done a tiny bit of BJJ, but again, nothing too serious.
BigG
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Apr 11 2009, 07:22 PM) *
I've done bits and bobs.

I wouldn't say I've trained in it properly.

Done a tiny bit of BJJ, but again, nothing too serious.

I'm thinking of learner BJJ for the hell of it with my friend is forcing me to learn with him.

What do you think is the best martial art, Black? I think Boxing is the best of all..
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 13 2009, 09:16 PM) *
I'm thinking of learner BJJ for the hell of it with my friend is forcing me to learn with him.

What do you think is the best martial art, Black? I think Boxing is the best of all..

I'm Roll, not Black laugh.gif

Yeah, boxing is my favourite combat sport.

Depends what you mean by 'best'. BJJ is awesome, dude. You get on the mats and roll with someone who knows what they're doing and you're screwed. You can't do anything. It's crazy.

I like pretty much all combat sports....Boxing, BJJ, Kickboxing, Thai, MMA, knockdown Karate, it's all good.

I don't really like Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu and all those 'mysterious' arts. As long as the students are sparring and getting a good level of contact going, then it keeps them honest about what they do.
JonnyBlaze
I trained in some hapkido..It was pretty sweet but boxing is the top art for me..Nothing tops boxing..
blackbelt2003
Yeah, boxing is the best simply because it's the most highly evolved, having been around for so long and pushed to the very pinnacle. MMA-type arts are still new and developing, so 'pound 4 pound' if you like boxing is number one, maybe with Greco Roman wrestling just behind it.

But if you mean for just all round fighting, yeah MMA is great, although it's better to choose your basic style (say, striker or wrestler) and then add to it rather than trying everything at once.

Black
BigG
I took my first lesson of BJJ and its real cool...but I just love boxing alot more. IMO, Boxing is more technical and enjoyable and you really need more talent.
Douchebag
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Apr 21 2009, 04:35 PM) *
Yeah, boxing is the best simply because it's the most highly evolved, having been around for so long and pushed to the very pinnacle. MMA-type arts are still new and developing, so 'pound 4 pound' if you like boxing is number one, maybe with Greco Roman wrestling just behind it.

But if you mean for just all round fighting, yeah MMA is great, although it's better to choose your basic style (say, striker or wrestler) and then add to it rather than trying everything at once.

Black

nea.gif Muy Thai has been around much, much, much longer than boxing. I love boxing and I love the fluidity between offense and defense that it incorporates when the craft is applied properly, but there are other Martial Arts that have been around just as long and have been pushed just as hard as boxing.
Douchebag
QUOTE (BigG @ Jul 19 2009, 04:17 AM) *
I took my first lesson of BJJ and its real cool...but I just love boxing alot more. IMO, Boxing is more technical and enjoyable and you really need more talent.

But isn't that the beauty of something like BJJ. Almost anybody can become master if they apply themselves, where as boxing you almost have to have some god given talent to really excell.
CagR
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Sep 2 2009, 12:27 PM) *
But isn't that the beauty of something like BJJ. Almost anybody can become master if they apply themselves, where as boxing you almost have to have some god given talent to really excell.

I have 5 amateur fights 3-2. Not to good a record but I blame that on my conditioning. Without conditioning I dont care how skilled you think you are, you will not be able to apply it against a decent opponent.

I did BJJ for a year and achieved a Blue Belt under Leo Dalla (Loyd Irvin's BJJ Master). And yes, if you are fairly intelligent and in fairly decent shape, you can learn BJJ and be able to apply it fluently in a fight. This is an art that requires a lot of mental application as well as the physical, that's why I will put BJJ on top of my "to master" diciplines.

Not to down boxing, but anyone can swing and connect at any given moment, but not just anyone can keep a focused plan of assault once the fight goes to the ground.

A good fighter needs to be well rounded, for this reason I dont count boxing out ( I train in it also when getting ready for fights)
BigG
I take Boxing and MMA...and I'll ust say that Boxing requires TRUE talent. Theres just alot more science invloved in stand up.
Mandirigma
Im a BJJ Brown Belt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.