Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winky Wright
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
D-MARV
Where does Winky go from here?

I think he still has some fights left in him so what's next?

Discuss.
JLUVBABY
i think winkys biggest problem has been inactivity.. tho i will also say that even on his best days i'm not sure he beats paul williams... williams is a beast... stylistically williams is a bad match up for wrights style... but back to the topic i think if wright gets back to fighting on a regular basis he can still be a player.. i think he's a dangerous guy for the elite at 160.. anybody else has a tough night last night but williams freakish height for that weight and skill level didnt allow wright to do his thing... again wright needs to fight more...
D-MARV
I've said it before... Even the best version of Winky loses to Paul Williams
hardhead
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 12 2009, 06:50 PM) *
I've said it before... Even the best version of Winky loses to Paul Williams

I agree, Winky may have won a couple more rounds but Williams beats him anytime in his career. The reason I say that is because I don't think Winky fought a bad fight at all and I also didn't think he looked that rusty. He was just too overwhelmed and outworked by an offensive machine in Williams. So it was more of what Williams was or did then what WInky was or did.

I don't think WInky should hang them up, I think he has a good shot at beating some middleweights and at the very least he is competitive.
D-MARV
I was impressed by Winky. His defense was better than I anticipated and he did sneak in a few counter shots. But he was fighting a beast and he didn't have a chance from the start. Winky still poses some good challenges to Pavlik and Abraham
JLUVBABY
i'd like to see paul williams test james kirkland... good potential fight right there...
hardhead
I'd like to see Kirkland fight Angulo before he fights Williams. I'd like to see two undefeated young fighters go at it, somebody's O must go!!
D-MARV
QUOTE (hardhead @ Apr 12 2009, 03:50 PM) *
I'd like to see Kirkland fight Angulo before he fights Williams. I'd like to see two undefeated young fighters go at it, somebody's O must go!!

I agree! Angulo-Kirkland would be a much more competitive fight.
Spyder
I think the Conyers fight has made Kirkland look vulnerable to me...I think of him as being chinny, but that was the only time that he went down.

I think a fight with Angulo would be a great next step for him.
D-MARV
Angulo-Kirkland would be FOTY.
JD
Wright should go to 168 and look for the loser of Froch - Taylor or Bute - Andrade II.
jvo1800
i dont think winky looked that bad last night even with a 21 month layoff, paul was just too much 4 him with that height and reach . in my opinion i think anybody else at that weight, loses against winky because he still fought a good fight to me. i still think winky is a lot better at 154, i just wish he coulda got a chance to whoop oscars ass b4 he started to decline or maybe fought bernard at 160 instead of 170 because that was too much for winky.
buford54
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 12 2009, 08:41 PM) *
Wright should go to 168 and look for the loser of Froch - Taylor or Bute - Andrade II.

That's his best option, right there.
He's in the worst spot he can be right now. He doesn't have a belt, and he looked alright in losing to an animal.
So who would want to fight him.
He should hope Taylor loses and try to finally make that rematch.
D-MARV
Wright should call out Sturm!

Actually, That would be a nice stay busy fight for PWill until the Pavlik-Abraham winner.
Big Slim Sweet
The problem for Winky moving forward is that he's a pain in the ass for promoters to deal with, he's a difficult fighter for other fighters to look good against, and he just got his tail kicked by a young lion, giving everyone ample excuses to avoid having to deal with him from now until...forever.

Is Winky prepared to fight a David Lopez on ESPN2 or the undercard of one of GBP's next PPV's for less than a 100k? I question whether at this advanced age and stage of his career he'll find the motivation necessary to get back in line like that. His ego won't allow it, plus he loves his Krispy Kremes too much.
D-MARV
Wright-Duddy, MSG, would be good.

Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 13 2009, 01:03 PM) *
Wright-Duddy, MSG, would be good.

Yeah, but why would Arum just hand over his #1 sacrificial lamb to GBP? He could make more money serving Duddy up to Pavlik....
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 12 2009, 02:32 PM) *
I was impressed by Winky. His defense was better than I anticipated and he did sneak in a few counter shots. But he was fighting a beast and he didn't have a chance from the start. Winky still poses some good challenges to Pavlik and Abraham

I think Williams blows Kirkland out. Kirkland will be much easier to hit than say Winky Wright. I'd like to see Williams get Pavlik
EpTXCHAMP
wish we could see kirkland get another win or two under his belt then matched up agianst winky. if kirk wins that, then pwill vs kirk early 2010 in a perfect world thats what would happen ha

but for now expect no one to go near williams prob another tune for him on Versus. winky will over price himself and the boxing world will have to wait another 6-8 months till pwill gets a MEANINGFUL fight

For the record not saying winky is washed up or done as of now I'd favor winky to out box kirk, sturm and maybe jermain in a rematch if he wanted to go there. I still havent seen enough improvement in kirks Defense to favor him over winky
thefloatingmonkey
I sure hope Winky isn't washed up. I think he still has a fight or 2 left in him.

As for Kirkland fighting Williams...Kirkland has a slim chance. He really needs to work on his fundamentals. Williams would t-off on him all day.
King Eugene
Williams would just overwhelm Kirkland. Kirkland would keep coming do doubt but he has no defense and would take way too many shots and eventually get stopped. Then we'd have to see Anne Wolf challenge PWill on spot and get her ass whopped too. LOL

As far as Winky goes, I think he should try to get back down to 154 and make another run at it. If its too strenuous stay at 160 and go after Strum. I think he shouldn't go over 160 though, thats too much weight for him. I did not like the way he looked in the Hopkins fight whatsoever.
BigG
I like Kirkland....the guy must've been a Tyson fan growing up with the way he fights but he is easy work for PWill.
D-MARV
Kirkland wouldn't last 5 rounds at this point!
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 13 2009, 09:53 PM) *
I personally didn't think Winky looked bad, he was actually landing clean, pushing forward and trying to make a fight of it, he was just outworked, but didn't do to bad of a job and the scorecards didn't reflect on the performance Winky put on.
Because I downloaded the fight, I downloaded the American HBO version, here we get different commentators, but I think it was Steward (or may it have been Foreman)? But he was being an idiot and so was Lampley, I like Williams he did a good job, but don't dick ride for the whole fight, it was Steward (or Foreman, forgot who it was), but he said he never want to see Winky in the ring again. What an idiot, made it sound like he was terrible, and after the first round they were going how can Winky be given around when Williams threw about 100 punches and landed about 21 when Winky threw about half and landed about 15. I personally gave that to Winky for clean punching and landing the better shots, but they are just idiots. Merchant was the only reasonable guy on there, he was watching what I was watching. Winky lost no doubt and I gave him about 3 rounds, but he was landing and Merchant saw that, and after the first round when the other idiots were going on about it being Williams round for quantity, Merchant said that sometimes it's quality over quantity. Very bias work from the team, the only guy that called it good was Merchant.

Stewart was riding Winky in the early rounds... He said the fight was going just like Winky wants it, meanwhile Paul was throwing 110 punches at him, lol. That was a solid Winky in there on saturday night. He would have given Kelly Pavlik hell. But Paul is just all wrong for Winky.

King Eugene
Thats funny, I thought it was Manny the one saying he would like to see Winky go down and fight at 154 and Merchant was the one that said he shouldn't be fighting. I was drinking and half sleep when watching the fight so I could be wrong. I recorded it so I'll have to go check it out again.

Yo Fitz where do you download the sites from. PM me.
BigG
Fitz, do you still use torrent sites?
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 13 2009, 10:06 PM) *
I remember Merchant being the smart one, I remember him saying to Steward (I think you confirmed it was him). "I wouldn't go that far" after Steward saying he doesn't want to see him in the ring again. I also remember him telling them after round 1 that sometimes you must look at quality over quantity, because the other nuthuggers were saying how they don't know how someone can give Winky round 1 when Williams threw over 100 punches and landed about 5 more than Wright. Wright landed the most telling blows in that round.
I'm pretty sure it was Merchant who seemed to be the only one with his head on his shoulders.

I will PM you.

Winky winning Round 1 is laughable, wasn't even close. He landed 2 punches...
King Eugene
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 13 2009, 10:08 PM) *
Winky winning Round 1 is laughable, wasn't even close. He landed 2 punches...

Round one was the only clear round Winky won. He landed some great shots that round, especially the counter right hooks.
BigG
QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 14 2009, 02:13 AM) *
Round one was the only clear round Winky won. He landed some great shots that round, especially the counter right hooks.

I agree. Rounds 1, 5, 6 were Winky's.
D-MARV
QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 13 2009, 10:13 PM) *

He landed 2 punches in that round??? am I missing something? I gave Winky round 5 (a really close round) and that was it!
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 13 2009, 09:06 PM) *
I will PM you.

Spread the love. drinks.gif
BigG
My ratio on the other hand is starting to drop. There is 1 more but the one you know is the best on the net.
JLUVBABY
i just have to say wow!!!... i just cant believe someone gave winky that first round?....................
EpTXCHAMP
now as much as I love Williams I cant believe some people are writing off kirkland like he's a scrub or saying he would be easy work" for williams...dont get me wrong Id pick P-will but not by a cake walk. lets not forget P-will struggled with pressure against margs when he stepped on the gas in that fight losing five of the last six rds if i recall correct, Im sure kirklands pressure could do the same. now i know the phoenix suns have more D" than this kid but in time maybe he can improve never know plus I know this was a solid win but lets not forget winky hadnt fought in bout 21 months or so
King Eugene
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Apr 14 2009, 05:19 AM) *
now as much as I love Williams I cant believe some people are writing off kirkland like he's a scrub or saying he would be easy work" for williams...dont get me wrong Id pick P-will but not by a cake walk. lets not forget P-will struggled with pressure against margs when he stepped on the gas in that fight losing five of the last six rds if i recall correct, Im sure kirklands pressure could do the same. now i know the phoenix suns have more D" than this kid but in time maybe he can improve never know plus I know this was a solid win but lets not forget winky hadnt fought in bout 21 months or so

Winky wasn't rusty.

If PWill and Kirkland fought next month PWill would make easy work of him. His chin is suspect as witnessed in his last fight and his defense is shit! PWill was never rocked by Margarito...he took some good shots but never rocked. Kirkland's chin doesn't match up to AM if you ask me.
D-MARV
PWill would destroy Kirkland at this point.

PWill struggled a little against Margs beacuse Margs had Plaster in his gloves and has twice the chin of Kirkland's. PWill still won 9 rounds against Margs.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 14 2009, 09:28 AM) *
PWill still won 9 rounds against Margs.

Not so sure bout that.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 14 2009, 04:41 AM) *
Winky wasn't rusty.

If PWill and Kirkland fought next month PWill would make easy work of him. His chin is suspect as witnessed in his last fight and his defense is shit! PWill was never rocked by Margarito...he took some good shots but never rocked. Kirkland's chin doesn't match up to AM if you ask me.

how can you say winky wasnt rusty? lol he hadnt fought in almost two yrs!!!! no sparring or training camp can make up for two yrs without a real fight!

also i agree I NEVER said his chin was near margs i just said his pressure could give him probs

also D marv 9 rounds??? are you serious?????? lol ill look up the official score cards but if my memory serves me right i believe one judge gave 5 of the last 6 rds to margs. williams won the 12th which gave him the decision

Right now as of april 14 p-will by UD. maybe KO.. in the future if kirk can improve on his D alot closer fight
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 14 2009, 05:41 AM) *
Winky wasn't rusty.

How can you say that? Being off almost 2 years and 37 years old, and you think that had no effect on him? Not taking anything away from Paul, but you really think that was the best Winky? That was not even close to the same guy who fought JT.
D-MARV
He wasn't close to guy you saw fight JT becuase he was getting 100+ punches thrwon at him per round. That wasn't the very best Winky in there but still a really good one. That Winky would have given any middleweight problems
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 14 2009, 02:00 PM) *
How can you say that? Being off almost 2 years and 37 years old, and you think that had no effect on him? Not taking anything away from Paul, but you really think that was the best Winky? That was not even close to the same guy who fought JT.

I dont think he was rusty...I think he just got older and slower. To me if you say the guy is rusty, he will come back his next fight and look like the guy of old. Winky will not look like he did against JT or Trinidad in his next fight. Thats just my opinion. So thats why I say he wasn't rusty...he's just lost a step. Of course I think the year and some change lay off played a roll but he didn't look like shit. Winky is my boy but I'm a give it straight how I seen it. Like I said thats just my opinion.
King Eugene
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 14 2009, 04:02 PM) *
He wasn't close to guy you saw fight JT becuase he was getting 100+ punches thrwon at him per round. That wasn't the very best Winky in there but still a really good one. That Winky would have given any middleweight problems

Exactly...I dont think he was rusty. Just not the same fighter he use to be. Doesn't mean he's shot...just means he's getting a little old.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 14 2009, 04:41 AM) *
Winky wasn't rusty.

in defense of this comment... i have to say that winky didnt look rusty to me neither... what i saw was a fighter that even at his best would have had one hellava time dealing with a guy that has a freakish 82 inch reach which is crazy for that division.. and 2 the total of punches williams was throwing at him... winky at his best in his prime williams would have been a lot for winky wright to handle...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 14 2009, 03:02 PM) *

agree 100%.. only i dont think winky showed any age just that williams was the complete wrong match up for him...
D-MARV
It wouldn't surprise to see Winky go out and look great in his next fight!!!
dbdbdb
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 14 2009, 09:26 PM) *
agree 100%.. only i dont think winky showed any age just that williams was the complete wrong match up for him...

Not only that .... PW was bobbing and weaving up & down, side to side in ways that isn't common for someone of his build and stature. All that plus throwing 100 punches per round is abnormal. This made it very difficult for Winky to get off accurate shots. Even in close quarters PW has movement that isn't normal for a fighter his size.

Winky was right for this fight, he just had the wrong fighter in front of him.
Lil-lightsout
I thought Winky looked decent at spots, by no means do I think he looked shot or a really old fighter. I am not discrediting anything Paul did, but Winky definately was not at his best either, regardless if he just lost a step(age) or had to do with the layoff. Of course PW throwing crazy amounts of punches is hard to deal with, but it is plain silly to suggest the outcome would be exactly the same a few years ago against a younger more active Winky. It would have been a very close competative fight. Winky would have been sharper and able to throw more punches. I too also think Winky will look good in his next fight if he fights soon. Being active in this sport is very important, and just losing to argueably the best middleweight is no shame, and I highly doubt he will find a tougher opponent next.
streetlion1
Wright-Taylor 2 sounds good to me...I think Wright has lost his legs completely but not really much else so I think people will still be avoiding him for the most part.

I also think Pavlik-Wright wouldnt be that bad of a match up either...whatever his decision it'll still be hard to get people in the ring.
STEVENSKI
Winky should start bombarding people with emails about his record label. Fuckin jerk off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.