Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's official Cotto vs Clottey @ MSG June 13th
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
PUERTOROCKS
From fightnews,

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=8837

Imperius3
I still got Clottey in this one. This fight kinda reminds me of DLH-Quartey in some ways. I just hope the decision goes to the right man.
JLUVBABY
my call is clottey.. its gonna be damn tough but clottey has the nuts to get in there and grind it out with cotto... i exspect clottey to wear cotto down and maybe even get a later round stoppage and all this without loaded gloves unlike someone else i wont mention...lol
kidbazooka1
Clottey is too one diminsional for Cotto. Margarito was a huge strong 147lb obviousley now the plaster comes into play but i feel Cotto is just as strong as Clottey and with better tools.

Cotto by UD or possible late rd stoppage.
JaRaNDa
Don't like this fight! I myself still does not know how Cotto is from the Margs fight since Jennings is not the best measuring stick. Also throwing into the mix with his bad ending to his uncle/trainer now getting a new trainer already!
As a massive Cotto fan..this fight has really got me a little concerned. I have not seen much of Clotty but from what I've heard and read this could be a bad matchup for Cotto. Someone who is durable and tough may not be what Cotto needs just yet!! This is a big step up for Cotto since Margs and will really tell alot!!!
Lets Go COTTO!!!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 15 2009, 02:39 AM) *
This could be a tough fight, but it's more depending on where Cotto is at rather than Clottey IMO. Clottey at this stage to me is a lot of hype. He has basically made a name for himself from this:

1. Losing to Margarito
  2. Beating Corrales at 147, lol
  3. Beating Judah at 147, lol

That is basically it, and he didn't even stop those two chinny guys who were out of there class. I'm not saying Clottey sucks, but he sure does have a bit of a name for himself based on nothing impressive what so ever.

This is true Fitz. I think this fight has more to do with Cotto and what (if any) long term effects he is suffering from the Margarito fight, rather than what Clottey brings to the table.
caneman
That all could be true but while Clottey might jave made his name by what fitz said, he is also just finding himself IMO and you can add the fact that he MIGHT have hung with marg when he had plaster wraps...something we will.never really know! In any case, I really like this fight and might even get some tickets to go see it since I am moving back up to dirty jersey!One thing I really like about it is that it's 2 top guys that are actually getting into the ring and with these 2 guys it will be a great fight!!! Live or on HBO, I am not gonna miss this one!Will the fact Cotto has a new trainer play into this fight any? It's gonna be interesting to find out!!!
Spyder
Good fight for Cotto.

Clottey is a tough dude.
Sugar Q
Clottey has very good skills the question is does he have a champion's heart. Maybe he broke his hand hitting against the plaster against Margarito who knows but even still a true champion would still find a way to win. He was owning Margarito for 5 rounds then went dead. It's gonna take a durable fighter to take Cotto down and we're gonna find out whether Clottey really has the goods and what Cotto really has left. Although Clottey does have the skills to beat Cotto the question is does he have the heart to pull it off.
caneman
I think he has the heart,this comes down to styles and training. I think it will be very important for cotto to keep it in the center of the ring...we seen what going to the ropes did vs margacheato,plaster wraps or not!!!
Yucayeke
I will be at The Garden for the fight. Interested to see how Cotto deals with his personal BS. has to fuck with your head and Clottey knows this and will capitalize on it. I think it will be a good fight, certainly a challenge for Cotto. Still unsure as to how his mental state is after the Margacheeto beatdown
Nay_Sayer
I'm not saying Clottey sucks, but he sure does have a bit of a name for himself based on nothing impressive what so ever.

That same argument applies to Cotto....
Douchebag
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Apr 16 2009, 11:08 AM) *
That same argument applies to Cotto....

The win over Shane Mosley is better than anything that any current Welter that not named Shane Mosley has on their resume. You can say you saw it the other way but you can't say it was a robbery. ......

The Hate runs deep in this one. LOL
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 16 2009, 11:07 AM) *
The win over Shane Mosley is better than anything that any current Welter that not named Shane Mosley has on their resume. You can say you saw it the other way but you can't say it was a robbery. ......

It wasn't a robbery but it also wasn't an *impressive* victory.

Cotto got a gift, IMO....
Blayde
When I think about Clottey as a really great fighter there is always that Gutierrez fight that comes to my mind. Clottey deserved the decision, but they went toe to toe and it was a close and very competitive fight. Gutierrez is a good fighter, but if he can work on the inside like that, Cotto can probably do a little better. So Id like to pick Clottey, but I just cant, I think anything can happen in this fight.
dbdbdb
QUOTE (Blayde @ Apr 16 2009, 12:51 PM) *
So Id like to pick Clottey, but I just cant, I think anything can happen in this fight.

Agreed!!

This will ultimately become a battle of wills and desire. Who wants it the most and is willing to go through hell to have it. In this fight I favor Clottey because he doesn't have the mental baggage currently weighing Cotto down.

I believe the mental damage done to Cotto in the Margarito fight will come to the forefront in this fight, because Clottey is by no means a push-over and will prove to be more than a worthy opponent.

If Clottey comes in right and ready -- Cotto will have his toughest fight to date and I don't count the AM fight into this equation, mainly because that fight turned out to be a test of will and toughness.

This fight with Clottey will be a test of will, a test of toughness and a test of technical proficiency all in one.
Douchebag
If Cotto is anything like he was pre marg he should win this fight decisively.
Imperius3
This could be a tough fight, but it's more depending on where Cotto is at rather than Clottey IMO. Clottey at this stage to me is a lot of hype. He has basically made a name for himself from this:

1. Losing to Margarito
  2. Beating Corrales at 147, lol
  3. Beating Judah at 147, lol

That is basically it, and he didn't even stop those two chinny guys who were out of there class. I'm not saying Clottey sucks, but he sure does have a bit of a name for himself based on nothing impressive what so ever.

It's not so much who he has fought, but what I've seen from him in his fights. He dominated Corrales and Judah, and he was dominating Margarito before he hurt his hand. IMO, Judah would've been stopped late in the fight. The Corrales fight was a 10 round fight, Corrales was knocked down a couple of times at the end of the fight, and the only reason he survived was because he kept on spitting out his mouthpiece...once again. (No disrespect meant Diego, RIP)

I just think Clottey has what it takes with his strength and skill. I know it will be a close and competitive. It will be a damn good fight.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Blayde @ Apr 16 2009, 12:51 PM) *
When I think about Clottey as a really great fighter there is always that Gutierrez fight that comes to my mind. Clottey deserved the decision, but they went toe to toe and it was a close and very competitive fight. Gutierrez is a good fighter, but if he can work on the inside like that, Cotto can probably do a little better. So Id like to pick Clottey, but I just cant, I think anything can happen in this fight.

Good call... The Gutierrez fight was the 1st time I saw Clottey. I think Clottey has improved his boxing skill since. I think Clottey is just as skilled and quick as Cotto. I think he's better defensively. I think Cotto will be in for a long night.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 16 2009, 11:37 PM) *
Yeah because a win over Mosley is as good as a win over Corrales or Judah at 147 rolleyes_anim.gif

Clottey looked better in his wins over Corrales and Judah than Cotto looked in his *gift* decision "win" over Shane...
Lil-lightsout
This fight is so hard for me to pick, I really think it is a toss up.

How well will Cotto take Clottey's punches?
Are we giving Clottey too much credit for beating Zab and Chico, and dominating the early rounds against AM?
Will Cotto just outbox Clottey, or will he be sucked into a brawl?
How will the change in Cotto's corner affect him?
Will Clottey be able to take Cotto's bodypunches?

No matter the outcome, I think the fans will get a great fight.
Fitz
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Apr 18 2009, 03:24 AM) *
Clottey looked better in his wins over Corrales and Judah than Cotto looked in his *gift* decision "win" over Shane...

I hate to break it to you, but when you are fighting a guy like Mosley, you aren't supposed to win as dominantly as fighting Judah and Corrales at 147, especially when you are a big welter yourself. I can't believe you are comparing Mosley to Judah/Corrales at 147 as a benchmark. That's actually pretty funny. It wasn't a gift either, a fight that could have gone either way. Not sure what you are arguing about either, even Mosley thought he lost the fight. After the fight he said it was a close fight, but he think it could have been a draw or a slight win for Miguel. If Mosley can accept the decision, I don't care what you think the decision was.
neophyte7
The clottey that butchered Judah will kill COTTO--- COTTO is overrated and yes he did get a gift in the mosley fight--- he ran like a bitch the last three rounds-- Clottey is too big and strong-- Cotto gets stopped and Puerto Rico will have to look for another GOD to worship
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 23 2009, 08:45 AM) *
The clottey that butchered Judah will kill COTTO--- COTTO is overrated and yes he did get a gift in the mosley fight--- he ran like a bitch the last three rounds-- Clottey is too big and strong-- Cotto gets stopped and Puerto Rico will have to look for another GOD to worship

I would not say Cotto is over-rated, he is a damn good fighter. I think this is going to be a close fight, who I have no clue is going to win. But no way is Clottey going to "kill" Cotto, maybe he can eventually stop him, but it WILL be competative while it lasts. Your post makes me think your hate for Cotto is not letting you think rationally.
D-MARV
If Clottey stops Cotto... I will be shocked!
PR316
Cotto via split decision. This will be back and forth but Cotto will just edge it out on his harder punching.

Clottey is not getting stopped people. If Margarito couldn't stop him then Cotto sure as hell will not either.
PUERTOROCKS
QUOTE (PR316 @ Apr 23 2009, 11:42 AM) *
Cotto via split decision. This will be back and forth but Cotto will just edge it out on his harder punching.

Clottey is not getting stopped people. If Margarito couldn't stop him then Cotto sure as hell will not either.

I bet you said no way Shane stops A.M. if Paul Williams couldn't stop him.
Fitz
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 23 2009, 10:45 PM) *
COTTO is overrated and yes he did get a gift in the mosley fight

From about 2:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gARDC-aZOc...re=channel_page

Mosley disagrees with what you are saying, hahaha. Bad luck and better luck next time. By the way, a win over Mosley is better than a win over Judah and a 147 Corrales that he couldn't stop.
Jack 1000
A very hard fight to pick. I see Cotto still winning a hard fought fight by UD. The judges are more likely to favor him in many close rounds than Clottey. I'll say 115-113 (twice) and a much too wide 117-111 for Cotto. Even if Clottey played the role of Mosley in that type of fight, (A fight I thought Cotto lost by a point) I thought the scores favoring Cotto against Shane were a bit too wide.

It would also be most unfortunate if the outcome of this match is determined by a head-butt, hand injury, or some other injury like the first fight they had, a match that I believe Josh could have won had that not happened. This is an excellent rematch for all of boxing and boxing fans.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.