Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oscar De La Hoya announces retirement
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
BigG
Oscar De La Hoya has announced his retirement in a Press Conference which was on ESPN.

Thank you Oscar for all the good things you've done for Boxing and bringing exposureto the sport, all the great fights and congratulations on your Hall Of Fame career
ROLL DEEP
Yes, sir.

Gotta give him props.

Thanks Oscar for giving us some GREAT, GREAT fights. Hall of famer, shed loads of money, amazing career. Job well done!
Method
Good fucking riddance.

Dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

He's been bamboozling the fans and soaking up all the cash for a long time, all while giving half assed performances.

A lot of drama today for NOTHING.
D-MARV
Despite what many say...

Congrats on a great boxing career. Thanks for the memories.
The CEO
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 14 2009, 03:52 PM) *
Good fucking riddance.

He's been bamboozling the fans and soaking up all the cash for a long time, all while giving half assed performances.

I'm with these sentiments...I could add some rough comments too, but I won't at the present time...

Bottom line....Oscar not fighting ever again is good for Boxing.

Box in Hand
I'm glad Oscar put asses in seats because we needed that. However, I have a few problems with Oscar. There is no way that a fighter of his stature should allow those around him to give him such aweful advise. It first showed in the Trinidad fight when he danced his way to his first loss (Advise from his corner). Last fight with Pac and he rehydrates right before fight time. How does he allow that crap to happen? I think that he had the potential to be a pound for pound fighter but it seems he had no back bone. He surrounded himself with people who gave terrible advise and should have never ditched Big Floyd. Big Floyd was the only one who gave it to him raw.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Apr 14 2009, 04:20 PM) *
It first showed in the Trinidad fight when he danced his way to his first loss (Advise from his corner).

DLH won that fight. He won AT LEAST the first 8 rounds. Now, I don't have my degree in calculus but I believe that only leaves 4 for Trinidad. Oscar danced because he thought the fight was in the bag, and it should have been. Good idea? Obviously not. He won that fight going away and got absolutely HOSED.

He did good things for boxing but it's time for him to go. No doubt about it. Of course, we haven't sen the last of him. He'll be interviewed by whatever network is televising a fight involving a GBP fighter. Bank it.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (wvu8893 @ Apr 14 2009, 03:29 PM) *
DLH won that fight. He won AT LEAST the first 8 rounds. Now, I don't have my degree in calculus but I believe that only leaves 4 for Trinidad. Oscar danced because he thought the fight was in the bag, and it should have been. Good idea? Obviously not. He won that fight going away and got absolutely HOSED.

He did good things for boxing but it's time for him to go. No doubt about it. Of course, we haven't sen the last of him. He'll be interviewed by whatever network is televising a fight involving a GBP fighter. Bank it.

I totally agree. He did win but in the judges eyes Trindad's agression won. Why dance and risk the fight? Bad advise if you ask me.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (wvu8893 @ Apr 14 2009, 04:29 PM) *
DLH won that fight. He won AT LEAST the first 8 rounds.

Bullshit...
Method

Cant disagree here. Agreed.

Look, one thing I will give DLH, because he deserves this much - that mohterfucker fought EVERYBODY. You cant fuck with his resume. He might not have that OFFICIAL big time, A-caliber super fight win, but he fought EVERYONE, and he was competitive with all but Paq, Hopkins. For a time he was good for boxing, but that time is SO FAR GONE. No more resources wasted on him. Im glad for that. No more 24/7's. No more fake bullshit. I respect his career, but gets ta steppin.
JD
You're welcome, Oscar.

Thankfully HBO will no longer be beholden to him and GBP in anticipation of putting on the next Oscar fight, because there won't be one.

Tons of big fights...terrific resume...congrats.
kidbazooka1
Hopefully he stays retired but if history has tought us anything it's that they awlays come back.

He'll stay away for a couple of years and make a return losing to some bum just waite and see.

But if he proves me wrong and stays retired thanks for the great fights and bringing sh*tloads of exposure to the greatest sport in the world.
Imperius3
Thanks for the memories.

I can see DLH staying retired. I think he knows he doesn't quite have it anymore. And with his company running strong, he'll still have a source of income. It's hard to imagine DLH going bankrupt anyway.
JD
Oscar has become a better businessman than a fighter.

He is one shrewd mf'er.
caneman
Later fishnets...you had 1 helluva career and made mad bank.He is a lot like ray lenard in you either loved him or hated him but he did fight almost everyone...ALMOST!!!!
caneman
Later fishnets...you had 1 helluva career and made mad bank.He is a lot like ray lenard in you either loved him or hated him but he did fight almost everyone...ALMOST!!!!
caneman
King Eugene
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 14 2009, 03:52 PM) *
Good fucking riddance.

LMAO...how did I know this was coming. This dude is brutal.
JLUVBABY
for me oscar is a middle of the road kinda fighter.. i can see reason why not to like him but also he was good overall for the sport.. truth is no matter my feelings and i would love to say some things but he was good for the sport... the average joe blow knows hoya before he knows some of the actual fighters who where better.. from a persons viewpoint that feels like i truly love the sport it there will be a void with him gone only because his fights drew in even the non casual fans... as a hard core fan i feel like screw hoya.. and like someone else said good ridance... he always went after people he thought he could beat its the reason why he fought sturm.. in a loss the judges gave him.. and i could name a few other fights.. and its the reason that led him to this point in his fighting career.. he thought little manny was gonna be an easy fight for himself... same ol oscar... most of his career till he turned welterweight was based on fighting guys naturally smaller than he... when he hit 147 and was fighting guys naturally his size he started to see what the pro game was really about... and we got to see what oscar really had to offer.. what that was was a good solid fighter... personally i would like to call him great but he lost his biggest fights... and got gifts in others... or shall i say house decisions...

and for the record regardless of what some feel.. its your opinion.. i had his fight with trinidad even after 8 rounds.. there was some close rounds that i gave to trinidad for whatever reason.. trinidad rightfully won that fight because mr. no heart in that fight listened to his corner to quit fighting and go on the defense... just thought i'd add that..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 14 2009, 02:52 PM) *
Good fucking riddance.

that was real talk method... i wasnt gonna be that brutal but i'm glad you said it.. oscar has to be the biggest bamboozle job of all times when it comes to what he actually accomplished... but i dont hate the hustle... as far as i'm concerened he can make up for his what i call downfalls by bringing good solid fight cards to boxing... he does that and at least from me he will get the respect he's looking for..
buford54
I can't believe the hatred around here.
I hated the guy until he got robbed against Tito. After that, I still would want him to lose, but I never want to see a guy get robbed.
I thought he won his rematch w/ Steroid Shane Mosely. After he got robbed in that fight, I developed a soft spot for him.
The guy fought everyone and has been the face of boxing for a long time now.
He's been fighting since he was 4 and has had a hell of a career.

Just let the guy ride off into the sunset in peace. Anyone who has repeatedly risked his life for our entertainment deserves at least that.
Lil-lightsout
For the most part, I enjoyed watching his fights, he was a damn good fighter who has a heck of a resume. The one thing I never cared about Oscar was his personality. He always seems so damn fake, like everything is an act with him. It was like it was always a marketing scheme when it came to him, he was like the perfect person who did no wrong. Anyway, I will give him a ton of credit if he actually stays retired after going out like he did.
BigG
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 14 2009, 10:37 PM) *
Oscar was one of my favourite fighters for a while, he turned into a dick at the tail end of his career, but none the less, he fought everybody and produced some mega fights, but good to see him go and not hang around like a moron like RJJ. Got embarrassed once, and he walks away. I hope it stays that way.

Pretty harsh on RJJ to call him a moron. Watching him today was like Michael Jordans comeback for the Wizards he sometimes shows flashes of the brilliance he once had but for the most part way past it physically but I won't call RJJ a moron for sticking around the sport he loves. He hasn't taken the punishment lets say an Erik Morales or Barrera has taken throughout his career but with that said, he fell out worst than them. As long as he fights guys like Omar Sheika he should be call good though.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 15 2009, 12:57 AM) *
You yourself said that when Jordan came back for the Wizards was still average like 25ppg or something like that. That is still doing something. Jones isn't. Also with basketball, you can't just 'play' basketball. If you aren't good enough they won't play you. Boxing is not that case. You can straight up suck and still fight. Not comparable.

LOL Jordan was not averaging that much. He is my all time favorite player and I also think he is the best player ever but the only reason he made it to the allstar game with the Wizards was soley off name recognition. Just like Roy, at this point he is getting as much publicity soley off name recognition.
JaRaNDa
'FUCKING GOOD!!' was the 1st thing that came out of my mouth when I read he retired! I don't recall my feelings change towards a fighter like dlh!! In my honest opinion he has really fucked the sport up the ass the last 2-3 years!! Lets hope he starts making legit fights and not these no sense, money making catchweight fights!!
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 15 2009, 03:42 AM) *
Well I'm not sure, that's just what I thought about Jordan. I haven't followed basketball that closely since it went out of fashion with basketball cards down here, but from what I know, Jordan was still doing his part.
My point still stands, you can't play basketball if your straight up garbage and have nothing to offer, but you can fight under those circumstances.

All Because of your name...I do agree 100%
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 15 2009, 08:42 AM) *
My point still stands, you can't play basketball if your straight up garbage and have nothing to offer, but you can fight under those circumstances.

good point! as much as roy jones is one of my favourites, he seriously needs to hang them up, as props to de la hoya for doing so! It's sad watching your favourite boxer being beat not because the other boxers better, but because of your fighter being old an unable to do anything (dlh-pac/jones-calz).
There should be no question, arguments or comments to suggest otherwise!!

Romulus9
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 15 2009, 06:15 AM) *
Also, I'm not calling RJJ a moron just because he is fighting past his prime, I am calling him a moron because he doesn't have it in him anymore, he doesn't have the desire or heart and it's obvious in some of his fights against Tarver and Calzaghe. I also wouldn't care if he just stuck around and just fights fighters on his level.
They become morons when they are delusional, they think they are still top fighters and will try to fight top guys, which holds some legitimate challengers back, and annoys fans watching them put half assed efforts and getting embarrassed in the ring.
I was just trying to say that DLH is smart for getting out when he doesn't have it any more than continuing to fight and make a fool of himself.

This is why it's not a problem when fighters in such a classification decide to fight each other. It usually makes for a decent fight. Jones-Trinidad comes to mind. I loved watching Roy take him apart (I think it would have been an early KO for him prime vs. prime but that's not important here), but I knew it didn't really mean much in the grand scheme.

I'd watch Roy Jones fight Chris Byrd. In the same vein, if other fighters in the same situation want to fight each other, go right ahead. I'd actually watch Jones fight Ruiz again. I'd even watch Jones fight Norman Stone. That might be the funnier matchup.

I just don't want to have guys wasting our time when deserving young talent is getting held back.
Yucayeke
John John Molina, Rafael Ruelas, Genaro Hernandez, Jesse James Leija, Julio Cesar Chavez, Miguel Angel Hernandez, Pernell Whitaker, Ike Quartey, Oba Carr, Felix Trinidad, Arturo Gatti, Vargas, Felix Sturm and Floyd Mayweather to name a few, not a bad run at all. Of course some of these were arguably past their prime and some decisions were questionable, but compare that list with Gayweather's

That plus the fact that he actually made money and kept it and built it into an empire of sorts, married a hot babe and gives back to the community deserve a round of applause.

He was never my favorite fighter, but his fight were at least entertaining and brought lots of visibility to the sport. Stay home Oscar, bang Millie while you count your millions, not a bad way to go out
streetlion1
DLH was one of the best fighters of this era and one of the greatest of all time!! He has done more for the sport than any fighter in this era. His record speaks for itself....he fought all comers in an era where ducking people became popular...gave the fans some of the biggest fights in boxing history and continued to try to fight the best even when his best days were behind him.

Robbed (his own fault) against Trinidad and once against Mosley...fought B-Hop when everyone was telling him not to...and had Gayweather right where he wanted him before he quit throwing his jab. The Pacman fight shouldnt define or blemish his career one bit! I admit I was as surprised as everyone else when he got totally dominated by Pacman and with the way he lost but sometimes it takes something like that to happen to make someone realize its over.

That being said....if...and its a BIG IF...Hatton wins does anyone think that will lure DLH into one more fight? It really does seem like a official retirement..but 10 million is always tempting.
D-MARV
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Apr 15 2009, 07:52 PM) *
DLH was one of the best fighters of this era and one of the greatest of all time!! He has done more for the sport than any fighter in this era. His record speaks for itself....he fought all comers in an era where ducking people became popular...gave the fans some of the biggest fights in boxing history and continued to try to fight the best even when his best days were behind him.

Robbed (his own fault) against Trinidad and once against Mosley...fought B-Hop when everyone was telling him not to...and had Gayweather right where he wanted him before he quit throwing his jab. The Pacman fight shouldnt define or blemish his career one bit! I admit I was as surprised as everyone else when he got totally dominated by Pacman and with the way he lost but sometimes it takes something like that to happen to make someone realize its over.

That being said....if...and its a BIG IF...Hatton wins does anyone think that will lure DLH into one more fight? It really does seem like a official retirement..but 10 million is always tempting.

He would make way more than 10 million.

STEVENSKI
Good bye good riddance get fucked. Thanks for the memories DeLaPuta. Your fist thumping after taking a dive against Hopkins is what I will remember you for.
Yucayeke
QUOTE (Yucayeke @ Apr 15 2009, 08:27 PM) *
John John Molina, Rafael Ruelas, Genaro Hernandez, Jesse James Leija, Julio Cesar Chavez, Miguel Angel Hernandez, Pernell Whitaker, Ike Quartey, Oba Carr, Felix Trinidad, Arturo Gatti, Vargas, Felix Sturm and Floyd Mayweather to name a few, not a bad run at all. Of course some of these were arguably past their prime and some decisions were questionable, but compare that list with Gayweather's

That plus the fact that he actually made money and kept it and built it into an empire of sorts, married a hot babe and gives back to the community deserve a round of applause.

He was never my favorite fighter, but his fight were at least entertaining and brought lots of visibility to the sport. Stay home Oscar, bang Millie while you count your millions, not a bad way to go out

I just saw the Trinidad fight again last night, IMO he won 5 spectacular rounds, Trinidad won two, round 1 was a draw imo and Oscar ran the last 4. Anyways, even if he was robbed twice, he also arguably lost against Quartey and Strum. Either way, the dude was still one of the best of his era, although I will admit that at the end of his career, his fame carried him.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 14 2009, 02:44 PM) *
Oscar De La Hoya has announced his retirement in a Press Conference which was on ESPN.

Thank you Oscar for all the good things you've done for Boxing and bringing exposureto the sport, all the great fights and congratulations on your Hall Of Fame career

Can't say much more than this..He needed to retire after the Pac-man fight..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.