Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: As a boxing fan, what do u think of the WWE & UFC
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
du365
what do you think of these two entities.....love and hate are welcome in this thread.
BigG
UFC - I enjoy watching it. It has some great fighters like Rampage Jackson. I personally think the HW champion is a JOKE (Brock Lesnar). That Fedor guy is pretty bad ass. I'm a big fan of Lyoto Machida. George St. Pierre is the best MMA fighter alive and is amazing.

Hate the mindset of the average MMA fan that a boxer never beats an MMA fighter which is retarded because I've seen several fights end in KO by punches from guys with average boxing skills in MMA. Especially those that say "Boxing is dying" because that's the most ridiculous thing the biggest PPV #'s are from boxing mateches lol.

Overall the sport is obviously becoming popular and I enjoy the fights/events but it will never replace the absolutely beauty of Boxing, IMO.

I've lost interest in other sports..Boxing & MMA are the only sports I'm really into now.

WWE - It is what it is. Entertainment. It's not a sport and it's not combat. I loved it as a kid but I really can't get into it anymore maybe if they had another guy like The Rock now he was hilarious.
JLUVBABY
first of all i will put ufc in a main catagory as mma and i have to say that i enjoy mma fights.. i think they are fun and great to watch and the sport as young as it is has really taken off since the first ufc (i actually have the first few on vhs...lol)... they are highly skilled fighters at the top level... i do agree with biggeorge that it seems i cant say all but it appears that the average mma fan just looks at its fighters as highly superior fighters to boxers because they do so much more in the octagon or ring and that is the furthest thing from the truth... i wont elaborate on why i feel that way because it would be pages long but i just dont see that concept but i do give them their props for raising their game considerably... i give mma a big thumbs up.. i like it...

pro wrestling onthe other hand to me is great entertainment for the kids but its not a real sport and i personally have no interest in it what so ever... i however dont knock those adults that enjoy it for its entertainment value..
thehype
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 16 2009, 06:58 PM) *
Hate the mindset of the average MMA fan that a boxer never beats an MMA fighter which is retarded because I've seen several fights end in KO by punches from guys with average boxing skills.

The same can be said about the diehard boxing fan, as I'm sure a swift kick to the head could KO a boxer before they even had a chance to land a bunch.

laugh.gif

But I digress...

Love boxing...love mixed martial arts....then again, there's a lot of politics I hate about boxing (like the ridiculous contract that the Klitschko brothers forced Haye to sign) just like there's a lot of politics I hate about mixed martial arts (like the fact that a fighter like Lesnard, with just 3 pro fights, gets a crack at the UFC heavyweight title).

Still though, ultimately, as a boxing fan, I'm also a UFC fan...and while I don't watch it like I used to, I still enjoy watching some WWE every now and then (although I don't know if I'd put it in the same category as boxing and mixed martial arts).

Lil-lightsout
Fake Wresting- Have not watched it since the days of Tony Atlas, SD Jones, Backlund, Andre the Giant, etc.

MMA- Rarely watch it, but more and more people i know are really into it. It will never replace boxing for me, but it is entertaining sometimes. I like the fact that alot of the fighters seem to face one another alot more than in boxing. Too much politics and bullshit behind the scenes in boxing. Too many missed super fights that could have been, and so on. Boxing superstars usually do not fight enough for my liking, compared to the MMA guys.
D-MARV
I CAN'T stand MMA... Respect the athletic ability but I have never liked it and never will. I got a kick out of Kimbo being KO'd and that's it.

I CAN"T stand WWE either. I LOVED it when it was WWF... It seemed like when they change their name they just changed altogether.
King Eugene
I've always been a MMA fan. I just love the fact the best fight the best and you dont get a shot at the best until your proven. Well except for Lesnar but thats all about TV ratings cause he was in the WWE first.

As far as wrestling, I haven't watched it in forever. Stone Cold Steve Austin is my all time favorite wrestler (Ironic I know) and when he retired, to me wrestling was never the same so gradually I stopped watching it. If one of the kids would tell me about him going to have an appearance I'd tune it just for the fact you never knew what he was going to do. The last time I watched wrestling was to see Floyd on there and before that it had been some years.

No other sport is better than boxing except for football to me.
Snoop
UFC/MMA doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the ridiculous bickering that goes on between MMA fans and boxing fans. I prefer boxing myself because I view it as more of an art but still have tremendous respect for the level of athleticism that MMA requires. Likewise, I have respect for the intense strain professional wrestlers put their bodies through in WWE. Of course, it's different from MMA and boxing, but most people underestimate how difficult it is to be a wrestler simply because the outcomes are predetermined.
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Apr 17 2009, 01:16 AM) *
I have respect for the intense strain professional wrestlers put their bodies through in WWE. Of course, it's different from MMA and boxing, but most people underestimate how difficult it is to be a wrestler simply because the outcomes are predetermined.

Agree 100% right here! Many say 'oohh it's fake, it's scripted' well yes it may be which does not mean it's easy! I think if the average joe was to jump in the ring with a wwf/wwe wrestler and had to 'act out' being close lined (very basic move) they would either have a VERY sore throat/chest OR if that average joe managed to pull of that effect of the move would proberbly fuck there head, back or shoulders on the mat lol!
Now take into consideration that these guys a WAY bigger than a heavyweight boxer, mma fighter and evan a lot of football players is impressive to see what they can do with this 'wall' like bodies! The amount of impact there bodies take with power moves and high risk moves would take it's toll. specially the fact that these wrestlers perform more than once a week which means they also have to be in tip top shape 365 days of the year!
It takes a lot of strength and timing to pull of a great wrestling match! Although they are no longer with us and were never considered 'physically big wrestlers' if you want to see talented highlevel wrestling watch the very 1st european title fight against Owen Hart-British Bulldog!
I don't really watch WWE anymore and hav'nt for years but recently watched Wrestlemania for the Undertaker-Shawn Michaels fight which suprisingly blew me away! Over the years that have lost the art/sport side of wrestling and has turned into almost Jerry Springer/sitcom, concerntrated on wwENTERTAINMENT than the matches them selves!

Now with MMA I have not watched a whole lot of MMA but see why it's such a popular sport. I personally think it can be very sloppy and and slow at times. I understand the concept on MIXED martial arts but I feel it can be a little bit unfair between fighting combats due to limitations and rules between the different combat fighting (which may be why fights can appear sloppy). Due to my past love with wrestling I can appreciated the grappling and skills but is not really free flowing enough for me!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Don't like UFC or any mixed martial arts. It seems like jack of all trades and master of none.

Like that K1 shit in japan those guys are gassed after half a round!!!

WWE is a different animal. It is entertainment and in fact I think of it as modern day Shakespeare. It performs the same functions. Shakepseare's plays were orginally intended as working class entertainment. It encouraged crowd participation and the storylines were completely over the top. This is pretty much what the WWE is today. Taken in the right context it is quite funny and unique form of storytelling.
kidbazooka1
Im a fan of MMMA fighters like Anderson Silva and GSP are real elite athletes with real skills.

Pro Wrestling is a joke nuff said.
Snoop
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Apr 17 2009, 06:05 AM) *
Im a fan of MMMA fighters like Anderson Silva and GSP are real elite athletes with real skills.

Pro Wrestling is a joke nuff said.

People who say Pro Wrestling is a joke should watch the movie "The Wrestler", and then come back and say that shit.
BigG
Thread Starter shouldn't have even mentioned Wrestling....it's not a sport or a form of combat. It's a show....it might be tough and demanding...but that's all it is....and Brock Lesnar had years of experience in REAL wresltling and was a national champion.
torvix2000
What are the differences between wrestling and stunt? What are the similarities?

Stunts are very demanding. You need high level of skills to do those moves. Etc. etc. And stunts are being marketed as wrestling.

Or are they the same thing?
kidbazooka1
True they train and perform there own stunts but i don't give a f*ck that sh*t is still a joke to me.

AS for the Champ Brock Lesnar he's actually had some good college wrestling experience thats why he's had some success not because he can jump off a rope or pretend to be hurt.

Obviousley we have some pro wrestling fans here so naturaly you guys will defend the sport and thats ok but i have my opinion and you have yours.

Also in previouse interviews that i have heard fron Brock he has always credited his college wrestling for his success in MMA not pro wrestling. College wrestling is a real sport pro wrestling is not.
ROLL DEEP
Pretty much the same as most people in here:

MMA - Am a fan of it. I'll watch it, follow a few fighters loosely, but not a die-hard addict. I go through phases where I'll love it for a few weeks, then not bother watching it for a bit, then miss it, and watch it again.

WWE - Man, those dudes have some skill and athleticsm. For a 'normal' guy to do that stuff is impressive - but someone who weighs 16+stone? That's crazy. I know some of them DO have wreslting backgrounds, and some of them don't, but either way they're highly trained, dedicated AND skilled in what they do.
thehype
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Apr 16 2009, 09:16 PM) *
UFC/MMA doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the ridiculous bickering that goes on between MMA fans and boxing fans. I prefer boxing myself because I view it as more of an art but still have tremendous respect for the level of athleticism that MMA requires. Likewise, I have respect for the intense strain professional wrestlers put their bodies through in WWE. Of course, it's different from MMA and boxing, but most people underestimate how difficult it is to be a wrestler simply because the outcomes are predetermined.

Best post of the thread.

I disagree with people who say that Pro Wrestling isn't a sport.

I mean, is it a COMPETITIVE sport? Absolutely not, but the fact that it's an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess makes it, by definition, a sport.

So it's DEFINITELY a sport...it's just not a COMPETITIVE sport.

I think what some of you are saying is that you prefer to watch COMPETITIVE sports and that's why you don't really like Pro Wrestling that much. But Pro Wrestling is in fact a sport...just like fishing is a sport.
Maxy
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 17 2009, 02:34 PM) *
Best post of the thread.

I disagree with people who say that Pro Wrestling isn't a sport.

I mean, is it a COMPETITIVE sport? Absolutely not, but the fact that it's an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess makes it, by definition, a sport.

So it's DEFINITELY a sport...it's just not a COMPETITIVE sport.

I think what some of you are saying is that you prefer to watch COMPETITIVE sports and that's why you don't really like Pro Wrestling that much. But Pro Wrestling is in fact a sport...just like fishing is a sport.

Nah I disagree.

If Pro wrestling isn't competitive then it isn't a SPORT for me. Sport is competitive. There is a winner and a loser in any sport worth its salt.

Yes, wrestlers are talented in their field but WWE is all about the show with pre determined outcomes. How can that be considered sport? It can't. It's not.

Proper wrestling, like you see in the Olympics is sport, yes, but that false crap called WWE has professional athletes participating in something akin to play acting. It's no more of a sport than the Rocky films.

I'm a boxing fan. MMA, UFC, whatever, doesn't give me the buzz that boxing does but it is a sport, I'm just not a fan of it.

I can't believe you think WWE is a sport, although you did say Pro wrestling so maybe I've taken you the wrong way, which is fair enough.
ROLL DEEP
Yeah, I wouldn't class WWE as a sport either.

To me, sport doesn't follow a script and doesn't have a pre-determined winner. Even when you're fishing, you don't know the outcome.

I can't think of a sport where there is a pre-determined winner and loser. If there was, whats the point of competing? There would be no need for skill.

To me, WWE is entertainment. A better name would be a sport sit-com.

I like WWE, but dont see it as a sport.
MarzB
Good thread. Theres a great book about that a$$hole Vince McMahon called "Sex Lies and Headlocks" where if you truly want an inside look, history of wrestling, this book is the one to get. In the 80's I absolutely LOVED wrestling. Got in from watching the WWF (because it was in my territory) but post Wrestlemania 3, I hated anything WWF and started following other federations (NWA/WCW and even the AWA which was turning to schit by then).

Unfortunately having read that book knowing what was going on now, by the late 80s, the story lines were terrible/unORIGINAL and just flat out stale. I haven't watched much wrestling since. I feel (like Puff Daddy in hip hop music) Vince McMahon totally cheapened it. Also people knowing how shady Vince is, I dont understand how they can continue to support his product when this guy is the main reason that many independent wrestling promotions have died or gone away. Competition is GOOD and he HATES/HATED it.

That said, I'm so not an MMA/UFC fan. I agree with Ollie Reed's post. I've come to respect the skill level of the MMA guys (I still think most of their boxing SUCKS) but to me the fans are basically people that want to see BLOOD AND GUTS and someone get KTFO.

I say that all with a caveat though that MMA's promotion is by far one of the best I've seen run. From their production, matchmaking, PPV qualities, how they promote the sport (with free tv). They are LEAPS and bounds ahead of the 3 headed MUNSTERs running boxing (read: GBP, DKP, TopRank).

Fitz
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Apr 17 2009, 11:37 PM) *
AS for the Champ Brock Lesnar he's actually had some good college wrestling experience thats why he's had some success not because he can jump off a rope or pretend to be hurt.

But that's where a lot of ignorance shows from a lot of people. Most pro wrestlers have college or that type of wrestling experience, it isn't just Brock Lesnar. People like to assume that they are only steroid users who lift a lot of weight.
BigG
SPOILER........Silva/Liettes...Liddel/Shogun...................

Liddell just got KO'd in 1 round again.....needs to probably retire. He got caught with a left hook from Shogun.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 16 2009, 06:43 PM) *
I CAN'T stand MMA... Respect the athletic ability but I have never liked it and never will. I got a kick out of Kimbo being KO'd and that's it.

I CAN"T stand WWE either. I LOVED it when it was WWF... It seemed like when they change their name they just changed altogether.

Completely agreed..I may watch WWE once every 6 months to see whats new but it is too far gone from the WWF days..So I agree with ya that the name change did change everything..They have guys trying to have rap battles on WWE now,its pathetic..I saw that shit on youtube..Big Show vs. Jon Cena..WHACK!!!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 17 2009, 06:50 PM) *
But that's where a lot of ignorance shows from a lot of people. Most pro wrestlers have college or that type of wrestling experience, it isn't just Brock Lesnar. People like to assume that they are only steroid users who lift a lot of weight.

A lot do do steroids but aside from that,they all need some wrestling skills..Kurt Angle won a gold medal in the olympics in wrestling I believe..They do have skills but the acting will throw most people off..
JLUVBABY
todays pro wrestling is whack... it died for me as entertainment back in the late 80's...
True-Boxing-Fan
I think the UFC really sucks. Its just basically street fight with most guys having not much skill. Yea they'll ground and pound you to death but where's the skill in that? I hate it when people try to compare the sport of Boxing to the UFC. There is no comparison. What good match-up's in the UFC are there that are worth watching compared to Boxing? Plus when i think of the UFC i think of the dumb asshole Dana White and i'll never ever buy a UFC event. The UFC will always do good business because of the shock factor anything goes wildness, but I will always think it sucks. As for the WWE I used to love it when i was a kid and didnt know better. I'll still watch it with my kids and everything but when i do it seems to me it wasnt what it used to be. I guess thats why its called WWE now.
thehype
QUOTE (Maxy @ Apr 17 2009, 04:44 PM) *
Nah I disagree.

If Pro wrestling isn't competitive then it isn't a SPORT for me. Sport is competitive. There is a winner and a loser in any sport worth its salt.

Yes, wrestlers are talented in their field but WWE is all about the show with pre determined outcomes. How can that be considered sport? It can't. It's not.

Proper wrestling, like you see in the Olympics is sport, yes, but that false crap called WWE has professional athletes participating in something akin to play acting. It's no more of a sport than the Rocky films.

I'm a boxing fan. MMA, UFC, whatever, doesn't give me the buzz that boxing does but it is a sport, I'm just not a fan of it.

I can't believe you think WWE is a sport, although you did say Pro wrestling so maybe I've taken you the wrong way, which is fair enough.

But again, therein lies your confusion with what I'm saying. A sport, by definition, DOES NOT have to be competitive. When YOU use the word sport, you're only limiting it to those that are competitive. Not all sports are competitive. For example, I wouldn't consider any of the following sports to be competitive:

Rock Climbing
Canoeing
Rafting
Hunting
Sky diving
BASE jumping
Sport fishing

While there is no competitiveness involved in any of those, they're all considered to be sports.

So while professional wrestling, or WWE, does prearrange the outcome of the matches for entertainment purposes, it is still considered to be a non-competitive professional sport that features displays of athletic and physical strength (not unlike bodybuilding).
thehype
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Apr 19 2009, 04:27 PM) *
As for the WWE I used to love it when i was a kid and didnt know better. I'll still watch it with my kids and everything but when i do it seems to me it wasnt what it used to be. I guess thats why its called WWE now.

laugh.gif

It's not what it used to be because you're not a kid anymore.

LOL

Don't get me wrong, I'm old school too and still prefer the glory days of the WWF with Hulk Hogan and that whole crew, however, I don't know about your kids, but most of the kids I know would much rather be watching today's WWE then to sit and watch George "The Animal" Steele chew up a turnbuckle. LOL.

Personally, I kind of stopped watching the WWE when The Rock left.

True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 19 2009, 01:41 PM) *
laugh.gif

It's not what it used to be because you're not a kid anymore.

LOL

Don't get me wrong, I'm old school too and still prefer the glory days of the WWF with Hulk Hogan and that whole crew, however, I don't know about your kids, but most of the kids I know would much rather be watching today's WWE then to sit and watch George "The Animal" Steele chew up a turnbuckle. LOL.

Personally, I kind of stopped watching the WWE when The Rock left.

You're right nothing is what it used to be when we were kids. One thing that used to amaze me as a little kid was the wrestlers from parts unknown. I used to wonder where the f@@@ that was. But i'll tell you what i'll watch the WWE or anything else than watch the UFC. Doesnt the UFC pay there fighters peanuts.

JaRaNDa
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Apr 20 2009, 04:51 AM) *
You're right nothing is what it used to be when we were kids. One thing that used to amaze me as a little kid was the wrestlers from parts unknown. I used to wonder where the f@@@ that was.

lol your refering to my favourite wrestler the Ultimant Warrior! They wanted to give him a mystique and thought it would ruin his image and persona if they were to say he was from example Chicago lol? So it appeared it worked on you and many other little warriors!
streetlion1
Love WWE....not so big on MMA. WWE isnt a "real" sport but anyone who really knows something about it has to give credit where credit is due. Pro wrestlers go through more pain and have have more athletic ability than most other athletes in other sports

.....that being said...I dont feel MMA is a "real" sport either. Boxing yes...MMA no. It is very competitive but what it is is glorified street-fighting with rules...it takes alot of skill but when compared to boxing it isnt in the same class.

WWE isnt the same in part because the storylines have not been as entertaining and also with Lesnar going his own way...Eddie Guerreros death..and Benoits suicide. Those werent just your average wrestlers...they were quality performers and its very hard to replace. HHH is also part of the creative team now and IMO that takes away from the product when you have a top performer constantly putting himself in the spotlight and making it harder for young talent to become "the next big thing".

WWF in the 80's is what I grew up on...but the best years were the mid-late 90's when Stone Cold was around. That was the most popular time in wrestling history.

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Apr 20 2009, 11:23 AM) *
.....that being said...I dont feel MMA is a "real" sport either. Boxing yes...MMA no. It is very competitive but what it is is glorified street-fighting with rules...it takes alot of skill but when compared to boxing it isnt in the same class.

Dude, you can't say that!

I don't think the general public know how technical BJJ and other wrestling arts are. Boxing is my first love, but I've trained in BJJ and various bit and bobs of other wrestling arts and it is JUST as technical as boxing.

I'm not saying it's harder, or better/worse, but from the perspective of learning moves, applying them, tactics, etc, they're on the same level.
KookedKrack
I've never been into mma and probably never will, I know it takes heart and skill to be a fighter of any kind but IMO mma usually ends up looking amateurish maybe its because i don't know the intricacies of the ground moves but even when they are doing stand-up shit it looks that way to me. My girl can sit and watch boxing with me even though she doesn't know much about the sport but if i put on mma the first thing she says is it either looks gay or why do they let them roll around for so long idk to each his own i guess.

WWE i was big on around the austin/rock era, I usually watch it now because my son likes it but it just seems a lot more tame now a days. It seemed like anything could happen in the attitude era now its way to predictable i guess.
BGv2.0
I don't care for "pro wrestling" nor do I like MMA. Boxing is my one true love as far as combative sports goes.

I COULD like wrestling again if the story lines were decent enough to keep me interested...but without any comp. the WWE justs puts out total shit and you either have to accept it or not...I choose not to.

I've always said Pro Wrestling is a Soap Opra for men. I loved it as a kid with Mid South....BUT I also liked it in my early 20's with WWF during the Stone Cold years with Mankind and all that. I mean....even though it's contrived...who cannot actually enjoy Mankind/Undertaker Hell in the Cell?!

All that tells me that I would still like it today IF it had good story lines that would get me interested and keep me interested.

As for MMA....I've never liked it and think it's even worse today then it was 15 years ago. At least back then it was REAL, schooled fighters that had mastered their craft. And although you still have some of that today....so much of the sport is made up of cookie cut fighters that join it for the glory and the right to tell people..."I'm an MMA fighter"....LAME.

I really don't understand the big debate between fans each....if anything Pro wrestling should have a MAJOR issue with MMA...as that industry has now taken it's large supply of kids that once wanted the attention of being a pro wrestler.

IMHO...MMA IS the Pro wrestling of this current society.....its fans base is very much the same and it's focus on action and energy is the same....the only differnce being that one is real the other is not.

I myself prefer more structure when it comes to violence as a spectator sport....I really enjoy the rules of boxing as compared to MMA....I don't care to see kicks and chokes and elbows when I watch a fight between two people.

With Boxing if you have two spectacular guys that are equals in just about every aspect....the only thing that is going to separate the two will be who can take or dish out more.

With MMA that is not always the case...not when you have holds and stuff that can end a match with a break or choke....IMHO you lose that element of an equal playing field when you have holds that can end a fight....I know the argument will be that those holds are the equal of a punch that ends a fight....but for some reason I just don't see them as on the same level...in my mind they are very different.

I'll just stick to boxing.
King Eugene
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Apr 20 2009, 11:23 AM) *
WWF in the 80's is what I grew up on...but the best years were the mid-late 90's when Stone Cold was around. That was the most popular time in wrestling history.

Stone Cold Steve Austin was one bad ass dude. I remember when he was stunning steve austin with long hair. LOL Man I loved watching that dude.

What a lot of people fail to realize as well is that some of these guys actually do get hurt performing some of their stunts and despite all the pain and agony they go threw they continue on. For example the Stone Cold vs. Owen Hart (or was it Brett) fight where he got pile drove and really hurt his neck. He kept on going...that takes balls and heart.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 20 2009, 11:02 PM) *
Haha, it was Owen Hart, and he had his own gimmick for a bit when he used to wear his own shirt that said "I just broke your neck 3:16", haha. So arrogant.

That shit was funny as hell.

I remember I use to hate Owen and Mr. Perfect with a passion. I use to want to kick ravishing rick rude in the balls when I was a kid too.
BigG
The Rock, Austin, HHH. Kurt Angle feud was the greatest EVER! The Rock always cracked me up...I died laughing whenever he would do his cocky promos..

Michael Cole: "Rock, I just wanted to ask you....."
The Rock: "Michael Cole, if you shut your mouth, the MILLIONS....and MILLIONS of the Rock's fans...are CHANTING... his name"

He pulled it off well. These new guys are absolute garbage. John Cena and Edge is the worst feud ever and Randy Orton is crap. Cena was good at the start when he was heel with his raps.I liked the promo's more than the fake matches actually. I stopped following Wrestling when the Rock-Austin-HHH era died down.
hardhead
I haven't watched pro wrestling since I was about 10 or so and don't have any desire to anytime in the future.

I watch/follow some MMA mostly if I'm with some of my friends who are into it. I'm kinda like Roll Deep in that I'm up and down with it. I have a couple friends that fight in it as well. One of the things about the sport I don't like is the fact that there's no 10 count. Fights tend to be stopped too soon which in turn makes the result/victory more flukish IMO. Or the fighter gets hurt and goes down but doesn't get a chance to recover and fight on. A MMA fan might ask, "why is this so important??" It's important for me because a fighters gameness cannot truly be tested unless he is allowed a chance to recover and willingly choose to continue fighting on(by getting up on his feet). Of course MMA fans will say, "well that's why we don't have any deaths in our sport and MMA is safer than most sports including boxing" and I agree, however I don't watch Boxing and fighting because of how "safe" it is I watch for the chance to see that very gameness quality/element dispayed and if a fighter doesn't have that opportunity to display it over the course of a fight then it's not AS interesting/entertaining to me. That doesn't mean that all fights in MMA don't test fighters(Bonner/Griffen is one that comes to mind, no surprise many consider it one of the greatest fights in MMA history) but that it is less frequent because of the absence of 10 counts and refs to stopping fights quickly(because of the smaller gloves).

I also think the UFC is making a mistake but not instituting smaller weight classes. A BIG mistake. White seems to have something against the smaller weight fighters(he needs to just fold up WEC and bring them into UFC), kinda reminds me of those old timers you meet who are always yelling about, "I don't like those little guys because they can't punch" and you just have to shake your head at the sheer ignorance.

I could go into the politics of the UFC but I would rather not, lets just say I think Dana White is an overrated, racist crook.

I also think that a lot of martial arts are based upon outdated ineffective philosophies/styles. The only one that has shown to have any real longevity/effectiveness is Ju Jit Su and even that is becoming less and less prominent since more and more people are learning how to defend it. It's lost that "surprise/trick" element it had a decade ago. A good wrestler will more often than not control a good Ju Jit Su fighter on the ground, than vice versa. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's useless because it's not, you have to know a little bit of it to defend some of the moves but its dominance and influence is waning in the MMA world IMO. Conversely, whenever I watch MMA now I see more guys standing up more and more and fights consisting of two guys "striking" for a majority of the fight. However, even though I see more standup I still don't think most MMA fighters utilize Boxing enough(most of these coaches/trainers I question, for all I know they could be Billy Blanks/Thai Bo jerks) as I think Boxing is still the premiere "striking/standup art/style, more effective than Muy Thai, Kickboxing or any other "striking" style out there. Bottom line, I don't think the stand up skills have gotten that much better than what they were 5-7 years ago(and 5-7 years ago I thought they would since logic would tell you that things usually progress) and a big reason I think that is is because there's not enough good quality boxing people training fighters(Boxing is more than knowing how to punch which too often gets overlooked). Muy Thai is a good stand up style but I still think it is inferior to Boxing when it comes to stand up. I watched the UFC fights this weekend and I think all but one fight ended in submission(kimora) the rest either were guys standing up striking most of the time or grounding and pounding, which is primarily wrestling and controlling an opponent on the ground.

All in all that's a couple things I don't like about it. I think the UFC has built itself into a great product/name brand and have done an EXCELLENT job in marketing. Because of this they have been able for the most part to have monopoly on keeping, as well as attracting, good fighters. This allows them to put together the most desirable matchups because everybody is under one banner with no other viable alternative. This leads to more exposure and a very a solid, hardcore, loyal, fanbase.
hardhead
If I had to rank sports of highest interest it would probably go like this:

Boxing
Football
MMA
Basketball

Everything else
JLUVBABY
for what its worth i was a big fan of and still like watching Brother Love... to me he was the best character in wrestling history... i loved the way he would turn all red and say, " I Love Youuuuuu, I, Luvvvvvvvvv, Youuuuuuu"...lol.... that was classic stuff....lol!!!!
King Eugene
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 20 2009, 11:14 PM) *
The Rock, Austin, HHH. Kurt Angle feud was the greatest EVER! The Rock always cracked me up...I died laughing whenever he would do his cocky promos..

Michael Cole: "Rock, I just wanted to ask you....."
The Rock: "Michael Cole, if you shut your mouth, the MILLIONS....and MILLIONS of the Rock's fans...are CHANTING... his name"

He pulled it off well. These new guys are absolute garbage. John Cena and Edge is the worst feud ever and Randy Orton is crap. Cena was good at the start when he was heel with his raps.I liked the promo's more than the fake matches actually. I stopped following Wrestling when the Rock-Austin-HHH era died down.

That was the best era...remember the Rock and Sock connection? LMAO...them dudes where funny as hell. Didn't like each other but always managed to win. My favorite Royal Rumble was when everyone was aiming for Stone Cold but he was no where to be found and he didn't even come out when his music played. Earlier in the weeks building up to the fight he was being a "rattle snake" and sneaking up on everyone and beating the shit out of them then comes fight night they jump him, he stuns like all of them and eventually wins it! LMAO That was some good classic stuff. I nice build up, great story line, and and even better performance. Who doesn't like a guy that will get tore slam up in the middle of the ring after fighting and share a beer with you as well!
King Eugene
Anybody remember Ron Simmons? What was the name of the group The Rock was with before he bacame independent? It was a group of guys who all looked like muslims lol. Then you had the dude that became the pimp. LOL I swear wrestling use to be so good. Remember when Tyson and Stone Cold almost squared off? LOL Hell do you remember when wrestling use to host boxing matches between wrestlers...now that was funny. I seen butter bean drop somebody on there as well.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 21 2009, 01:35 AM) *
The Nation of Domination.

Yea that was it...I hated all of them fuckas! LOL. Another thing I hate is when D Generation X tried to come back with just Shawn Michaels and HHH. How lame was that. They where one of my all time favorite groups. Shawn Michaels, Tripple X, Chyna (The 9th Wonder), Billy Gunn, Road Dogg, X Pac(123 Kid), and hell Tyson was even apart of them.
happygocampy
Honestly, Boxing has really ticked me off the past 7 or 8 years. I'm not sure where to even begin on it's problems but will say the hardcore fanbase has really lost the logic on that which once made it the best sport in the United States. I even see people on this board argueing points that will keep on hurting the sport.

I find myself watching MMA more and more, and am even watching MMA over Boxing when they're both on at the same time! My buddies and i used to watch UFC back in the 90's, back then i would have never considered watching UFC over Boxing.

WWF was cool when i was growing up, the late 80's i was really into it, and stopped watching it altogether sometime in the early/mid 90's as i became a teen. Check out this Vid from '93 if you used to watch WWF you may remember it, Allot of these guys aren't even alive anymore =(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UXVAVavEJ8...=response_watch
JonnyBlaze
Tyson "KO'd" Shawn Michaels..hahaha..That was funny as hell..

I was all about the tag team demolition back in the 80's/90's..The Legion of Doom/Demolition rivalry was dope!!
King Eugene
The Bushwack Brothers where one of my favs as well.

Damn all of these old memories makes me want to download some of that stuff.
BigG
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 16 2009, 11:17 PM) *
The same can be said about the diehard boxing fan, as I'm sure a swift kick to the head could KO a boxer before they even had a chance to land a bunch.

laugh.gif

But I digress...

Love boxing...love mixed martial arts....then again, there's a lot of politics I hate about boxing (like the ridiculous contract that the Klitschko brothers forced Haye to sign) just like there's a lot of politics I hate about mixed martial arts (like the fact that a fighter like Lesnard, with just 3 pro fights, gets a crack at the UFC heavyweight title).

Still though, ultimately, as a boxing fan, I'm also a UFC fan...and while I don't watch it like I used to, I still enjoy watching some WWE every now and then (although I don't know if I'd put it in the same category as boxing and mixed martial arts).

No question Hype I just think it's silly to think that grappling is the end of it all in fighting when I've seen so many fights in UFC end in a KO via strikes and these guys are clearly on world class boxers. A good boxer/puncher WILL win a few fights in MMA especially with those gloves they use.

I love Boxing and MMA. I got into a MMA also years ago around the time Tito Ortiz was the Champion and I saw all the UFC's with Royce Graice, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Oleg Tactarov, Mark Coleman, Tank Abott and I know alot about the scene today. Also I think Joe Rogan is a cool guy but a total dick for saying "boxing is a dying breed" when defending MMA in that ESPN debate he had with Lou Dibella.
thehype
QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 21 2009, 02:48 AM) *
The Bushwack Brothers where one of my favs as well.

Damn all of these old memories makes me want to download some of that stuff.

LOL...no kidding...makes me remember the good ol' days of Tito Santana, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Don "The Rock" Muraco, Junkyard Dog, "Adorable" Adrian Adonis, the British Bulldogs, "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, King Kong Bundy, One Man Gang, Koko B. Ware, "Superstar" Billy Graham, The Honky Tonk Man, Hercules Hernandez, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, Jesse "The Body" Ventura, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, Big John Stud, Sgt. Slaughter, "Mr. USA" Tony Atlas, "Mr. Perfect" Curt Henning...so many others (including the obvious, like Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Iron Shiek, Brett Hart, Randy Savage, the Ultimate Warrior, etc.)
Big Slim Sweet
I was a wrestling fan for two separate eras - WWF and NWA in the mid-late 80's, and then after a few years away I got roped back in with the nWo storyline in WCW. (Which was in many ways the sequel to the 80's era).

Stopped watcing wrestling for good around 2002 and doubt I'll ever get back into again.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 20 2009, 10:41 PM) *
I loved Mr Perfect and Rick Rude. Such good heels. I noticed I liked most wrestlers, goodies or heels back in the late 80's and 90's.

Two of my all-time favorites right there as well (RIP to both). Both were great performers in the ring too.

QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 21 2009, 12:15 AM) *
Anybody remember Ron Simmons? What was the name of the group The Rock was with before he bacame independent? It was a group of guys who all looked like muslims lol.

Ron Simmons was legit awesome in the 80's. He and Butch Reed had a tag team called Doom that was one of my favorites for a while. Reed was getting old then though.

QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 21 2009, 12:39 AM) *
Yea that was it...I hated all of them fuckas! LOL. Another thing I hate is when D Generation X tried to come back with just Shawn Michaels and HHH. How lame was that. They where one of my all time favorite groups. Shawn Michaels, Tripple X, Chyna (The 9th Wonder), Billy Gunn, Road Dogg, X Pac(123 Kid), and hell Tyson was even apart of them.

DX was a blatant rip-off of the nWo. I think that was actually part of the background of the DX storyline even, wasn't it? How McMahon wouldn't let Michaels and HHH out of their contracts to go to WCW.
King Eugene
My favorite fighter in the WCW was DDP...Diamond Dallas Paige baby! I use to hurt my thighs trying to do the slap he did after throwing up the diamond when I was a kid. LMAO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.