Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather vs. Marquez July 18
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
thehype
I'm being told by sources on the inside that it's looking more and more like Mayweather will be facing Marquez.

I couldn't get details on the weight, but I was told that they've nearly agreed on a July 18 date (a week after the original date that Floyd was rumored to come back...not to mention, a week after UFC 100).

The fight will likely take place on HBO PPV...hence another reason why they pused the date back so as not to conflict with UFC 100.

Barring any last minute breakdowns in negotiations (which, as we all know, is always possible), the fight is EXTREMELY close to being done.
Box in Hand
I got Mayweather by decision on this one. The questions is, if he beats Marquez does he get his Top spot back since Manny clearly didn't outclass Marquez?
Nay_Sayer
Marquez needs to STFU about the weight.

You call a guy out then be prepared to fight the guy @ HIS weight.

Man up...
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Apr 17 2009, 03:28 PM) *
I got Mayweather by decision on this one. The questions is, if he beats Marquez does he get his Top spot back since Manny clearly didn't outclass Marquez?

The Marquez who almost got stopped by feather Diaz aint going the distance with Floyd. Marquez goes to sleep around the 6 or 7th round.
thehype
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Apr 17 2009, 03:36 PM) *
Marquez needs to STFU about the weight.

You call a guy out then be prepared to fight the guy @ HIS weight.

Man up...

I'm hearing it's going to be at a catchweight.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Apr 17 2009, 01:48 PM) *
The Marquez who almost got stopped by feather Diaz aint going the distance with Floyd. Marquez goes to sleep around the 6 or 7th round.

Different style different fight. Mayweather doesn't pressure anyone so I doubt a stoppage. I see a pot shot festival going on.
D-MARV
I heard the weight would be at 144...

LMAO at people who think JMM will last 12 rounds....
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 17 2009, 03:29 PM) *
I'm hearing it's going to be at a catchweight.

If the contract weight is anything less than 142 lbs then JMM takes over the #1 gayhole spot that DLH vacated with his retirement...
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Apr 17 2009, 03:47 PM) *
Different style different fight. Mayweather doesn't pressure anyone so I doubt a stoppage. I see a pot shot festival going on.

If Mayweather hurts Marquez like what happen with Diaz, he'll finish him...
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Apr 17 2009, 02:58 PM) *
If Mayweather hurts Marquez like what happen with Diaz, he'll finish him...

Oh no, not you! Yeah, we might finally agree on something (Wow). I just don't think Mayweather is going to be agressive in his return after this long layoff. He wants Pac and he ain't jepordizing that. This is going to be a pot shot bananza.
Jack 1000
Mayweather by EASY and wide UD.

117-111, 118-110, 119-109. A very tactical fight. Tactical is the PC word for boring. But if this is true than kudos for Floyd, (I said that????? WTF??? hahaha) for taking a very tough fight for his first fight back and not some infomercial thing like Delahoya did with Forbes.

Jack
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 17 2009, 04:56 PM) *
I heard the weight would be at 144...

LMAO at people who think JMM will last 12 rounds....

yea that is a bit comical.

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 17 2009, 05:21 PM) *
Mayweather by EASY and wide UD.

117-111, 118-110, 119-109. A very tactical fight. Tactical is the PC word for boring. But if this is true than kudos for Floyd, (I said that????? WTF??? hahaha) for taking a very tough fight for his first fight back and not some infomercial thing like Delahoya did with Forbes.

Jack

But if this fight does go to the cards, I actually see it being much closer than people would think
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't like this. Mayweather has been a welterweight for about 4 years and he takes on a guy who has never fought over 135 before. Pussy ass move.
MarzB
Economic based fight.

Marquez is the #1 Mexican fighter and IMO arguably the pound 4 pound guy right now. Marquez while never a "star" can approach that status amongst the Latin community.

Definitely a challenge for Mayweather in that Marquez is NO SLOUCH but not so much of a challenge that Mayweather has to worry as far as a return fight.

Economic stand point IMO good match making by both sides should this come to fruition. Hopefully the winner fights Mosley.
torvix2000
Chris John did not allow Marquez to do his things.

Floyd Mayweather will do what Chris John did. 10 times over. PLus, he's gonna pot shot Marquez harder.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 17 2009, 04:21 PM) *
I don't like this. Mayweather has been a welterweight for about 4 years and he takes on a guy who has never fought over 135 before. Pussy ass move.

Let's remember Marquez called out Mayweather. The pussy move is now Marquez is worried about weight. He should've kept his mouth shut.
Fitz
Mayweather is a straight up cunt if he takes this fight. An absolute garbage fight for him, an easy fight that he will have no trouble with, he will slaughter Marquez and he will deserve no credit for it. This fight sucks.
King Eugene
I in know way wanted this fight to happen. I remember after the Hatton fight Floyd saying he was going to take two years off before coming back to the ring. Then he announced his retirement and now he is already making a comeback. This shit was all planned. I'm a Floyd fan and I wanted him to stay retired with what he has already done. Sure there are lots of questions but theres always going to be questions with any fighter. I dont like it but I think its necessary if he is trying to make a run at a WW title. I just hope he fights a WW next.
The Original MrFactor
Call me crazy, but I'm going with Marquez. Mayweather is coming off a long layoff. Marquez is the type of crafty guy who can exploit holes in Floyd's timing. Marquez has been very active at the highest level of the sport while Floyd was off. I think JMM takes a razor thin decision. It may even be contraversial. Marquez aint no Gatti...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
A smart move for Floyd not such a great move for the fans. frankly if he's coming back and PW says he can make 147 (which he would say) then there really is no other fight.

Mosley and Manny should be 2nd cabs off the rank and JMM the last option.

Still his name aint 'Money Mayweather' for nothing.
kidbazooka1
The obvious pick here is Gayweather but I give Marquez a chance. These are arguably the two most technical and smarter fighters in the biz. Floyd likes it when you come at him Marquez is a thinker just like Floyd can adjust his style when needed that along with the fact that Floyd will have been away for almost two years by the time they fight will cause some issues for him but ultimatly Gayweather size and edge in speed will prevail.

Floyd by UD.

I give Marquez props though for calling Floyd out he knows he's the smaller and less fresh figher he could have just waited for a third Pacqiuao fight which is a more winnable fight for him.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 17 2009, 08:26 PM) *
Call me crazy, but I'm going with Marquez. Mayweather is coming off a long layoff. Marquez is the type of crafty guy who can exploit holes in Floyd's timing. Marquez has been very active at the highest level of the sport while Floyd was off. I think JMM takes a razor thin decision. It may even be contraversial. Marquez aint no Gatti...

You're Crazy
kidbazooka1
Alot of people will be suprised how much trouble Marquez will give Floyd just waite and see.
Lil-lightsout
PBF will pick JMM apart and eventually stop him. This fight will not be close.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 17 2009, 08:46 PM) *
PBF will pick JMM apart and eventually stop him. This fight will not be close.

The only rounds for Floyd to worry about are the early ones due to the lay off..The rest of the fight will play out as you just said lil-lightsout
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 17 2009, 09:59 PM) *
The only rounds for Floyd to worry about are the early ones due to the lay off..The rest of the fight will play out as you just said lil-lightsout

Yeah... Fitz broke it down above your post nicely, pretty much sums up the way I feel.
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 17 2009, 09:59 PM) *

Heeeeeyyyyy dude you was MIA...I was about to report it and have you put on Milk Cartons lol.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 17 2009, 09:16 PM) *
Heeeeeyyyyy dude you was MIA...I was about to report it and have you put on Milk Cartons lol.

hahahaha..Good to see ya around again..How have ya been??I remember before I went MIA that you were MIA..hahaha..
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 17 2009, 10:38 PM) *
hahahaha..Good to see ya around again..How have ya been??I remember before I went MIA that you were MIA..hahaha..

Yea I know how it is man...especially when you got a lot of personal stuff to take care of.
torvix2000
Mayweather, to me, is still retired even after he fights Marquez. I'd consider fighting Marquez as Floyd's another job.
King Eugene
LMAO @ Torvix

I think Floyd is going to whip him but its going to look pretty competitive the first few rounds.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 18 2009, 07:02 AM) *
What the hell. You rarely make any sense.

I'm taking Marquez as Floyd's work while still retired... sort of like being an office kind of work. An executive position maybe.

Mayweather's sort of still retired until he fights real welter weight MAN.
torvix2000
Ooops! I take that back.

Mayweather did not retire! Look at how ripped his body is! His "retirement" is just a convenient excuse to avoid fighting the real guys at his last division. If he didn't "retire" there's no way he could have avoided them because the central limit theorem of statistics will play its part.
D-MARV
Torvix you must've been drinking...

I dont see anything competitive about this fight. There is nothing JMM brings to the table that I see Floyd having any problem with.
caneman
Big surprize,PBF making catch weights vs smaller fighters!!!I mean who would have thought that would happen? Lolz! I wish PBF would get fucked up bad but JMM is too small to do it and it's a freaking shame. All he wants is pacman and $!!! Now have to listen to how great he is from him and his nut mites! It sucks he isn't fighting for real glory and pride, pfffft what a joke! War JMM kill that fake!
JD
Marquez is a terrific fighter...but he is not a big lightweight, and his legs are showing signs of going in my opinion.

I honestly do not give him much of a chance here.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (caneman @ Apr 18 2009, 06:48 AM) *
Big surprize,PBF making catch weights vs smaller fighters!!!I mean who would have thought that would happen? Lolz! I wish PBF would get fucked up bad but JMM is too small to do it and it's a freaking shame. All he wants is pacman and $!!! Now have to listen to how great he is from him and his nut mites! It sucks he isn't fighting for real glory and pride, pfffft what a joke! War JMM kill that fake!

He called Mayweather out so why is everyone so pissed?
JD
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Apr 18 2009, 11:43 AM) *

It's a comeback fight...it what it is, I will watch regardless whether I expect it to be a competitive fight or not. In fact, I think it is a damn smart fight for Floyd to choose.

I think some are irritated because Floyd selectively responds to who calls him out.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 18 2009, 11:47 AM) *
It's a comeback fight...it what it is, I will watch regardless whether I expect it to be a competitive fight or not. In fact, I think it is a damn smart fight for Floyd to choose.

I think some are irritated because Floyd selectively responds to who calls him out.

This fight didn't make sense until Marquez out of no where called Floyd out now this fight makes perfect sense since everyone regards Marquez (unlike Margarito) the #2 and many the uncrowned #1 P4P. A smashing of Marquez (who many think defeated Pacman) clearly says I'm back and I'm still the P4P best.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 18 2009, 09:47 AM) *

He's smart so let's not fault him for that. He has taken absolutely no punsihment in the ring except his brital hands and Castillo and has made a ton of money. JMM is a live duck who should present Mayweather with some trouble. I don't think he has a chance but who knows, this is boxing anything can happen.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Apr 18 2009, 09:57 AM) *
This fight didn't make sense until Marquez out of no where called Floyd out now this fight makes perfect sense since everyone regards Marquez (unlike Margarito) the #2 and many the uncrowned #1 P4P. A smashing of Marquez (who many think defeated Pacman) clearly says I'm back and I'm still the P4P best.

Very well said.
Bill The Butcher
Hopefully this gets done. I would like to see Mayweather fight again. Mayweather beats Marquez no problem, as well as Pacquiao in my opinion. I love the Pacman, but I don't think neither one of these boxers can handle Mayweather for 12 rounds.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 17 2009, 05:21 PM) *

+1

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 17 2009, 06:43 PM) *
Mayweather is a straight up cunt if he takes this fight. An absolute garbage fight for him, an easy fight that he will have no trouble with, he will slaughter Marquez and he will deserve no credit for it. This fight sucks.

+2

QUOTE (caneman @ Apr 18 2009, 07:48 AM) *

+3

QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Apr 18 2009, 10:43 AM) *

Mosley's been calling Mayweather out for two years. Since before Ricky Hatton in fact. A Mosley fight makes more money than a Marquez fight so why doesn't Mayweather fight Mosley?

Great fighter Floyd is, but a bitch is a bitch is a ho is a slut.
Big Slim Sweet
And why the fuck is GBP making the fight for Marquez instead of Mosley? Mayweather's only coming back for a fight with Pacman which GBP won't be a part of anyway, so why are they helping him out?
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Big Slim @ Apr 18 2009, 10:34 AM) *
+1

+2

+3

Mosley's been calling Mayweather out for two years. Since before Ricky Hatton in fact. A Mosley fight makes more money than a Marquez fight so why doesn't Mayweather fight Mosley?

Great fighter Floyd is, but a bitch is a bitch is a ho is a slut.

Here we go. Mayweather called Mosely out and this is documented. Mosely turned it down like he's turning Paul Williams down now. So there is a little blindness here. Marquez called out Floyd and he got what he wished for. The win for Floyd is not etched in stone. Marquez is a great fighter who some believe is # 1. I think it was a very smart strategic move.
JD
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Apr 18 2009, 11:57 AM) *

The fight always made sense as a comeback fight.

The calling out part is irrelevant as can be evidenced by the reaction to other times fighters call him out.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) *
Let's remember Marquez called out Mayweather. The pussy move is now Marquez is worried about weight. He should've kept his mouth shut.

If a midget calls you out and you kick his ass that makes you the cunt. A real man knows when he's fighting a weaker fighter. I hope the fight does not happen. Mayweather should take on some of the real welterweights.
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't like the "he called him out" talk either but here's an article I saw I couple of weeks back.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=19409

By Mark Vester

According to WBA welterweight champion "Sugar" Shane Mosley, a possible fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. is not an option in the near future. Speaking with Brent Matteo Alderson of BoxingScene.com, Mosley said that he personally spoke with Mayweather, who told him that he wasn't interested in the fight, at least for now. For several weeks, Mayweather has been rumored to be in training for a ring return by September.

"I've talked to Floyd personally and he said that he really don't want to fight me right now, so maybe he wants to do a couple of tuneups and then take a fight with me," Mosley.

There are other options for Mosley, but Paul Williams is not one of them. A few weeks ago, Mosley was pretty honest and said that he didn't want a fight with Williams. After sitting ringside last Saturday in Las Vegas and watching Williams dominate Winky Wright, Mosley is not exactly changing his mind. He is still set on fighting the winner of the May 2 bout between Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton, or a possible rematch with Miguel Cotto.

"[Paul Williams] is not really an option for me. I'm thinking about fighting Pacquiao or either Hatton or maybe Cotto. I'm looking for the mega-fights right now, and those are the mega-fights for me today," Mosley said.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 18 2009, 11:23 AM) *
If a midget calls you out and you kick his ass that makes you the cunt. A real man knows when he's fighting a weaker fighter. I hope the fight does not happen. Mayweather should take on some of the real welterweights.

What the fuck? No midget is gonna call me out they need to focus on reaching the refridgerator door. Marquez is a grown man and a champion. He doesn't have to sign that contract.
MarzB
We all love this NICHE(keyword here) sport here we call boxing but what I think people forget that first and foremost THIS IS A BU$INE$$ first and foremost.

After coming off a layoff, it's crazy for Mayweather or ANYONE for that matter to come back and fight the BIGGEST NAMES some of you want right now. MARQUEZ on the other hand presents an EXCELLENT option.

A very underrated boxer, some think (I DO) he's the #1 boxer in the world today. I personally think next to Salvador Sanchez, he's one of the best Mexican boxers skillwise I've seen but thats my personal opinion. That said, back to the economics of the sports, Marquez is NOW the torch bearer/carrier of Mexican boxing. He's now the TOP DOG and why NOT capitalize on that??

As for you Mayweather haters (get a life for real) I wouldn't be surprised if you all are still clamoring on that DRYWALLER CHEATArito fight. GET OVER IT.

This is a very marketable fight especially if they're trying to do it as a PAY PER VIEW as opposed to a World Championship Boxing match.

Who else presents a better economic and marketable angle may I ask??

Collazo, Berto, Williams (LOL as a first fight coming back again get real).

Seriously though, "BOXING NUT$" if you were the promoter and had an option for Mayweather to fight of an opponent he'd agree to (mind you) that would yield the best economic BANG for your buck, who is the best option as a first fight coming back? NOt the fight YOU WANT TO SEE but the most marketable fight?

When you consider that you'll see Marquez is a great choice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.