Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knockdowns you thought were going to be a KO!
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
JaRaNDa
Weather it was the moment the fighter hit the canvas, to the moment the fighter attempted to beat the count! Which KDs occured in a fight where at the time you thought was going to be the end, but wasn't?
Even if the fight ended that very round or never reached the final bell I want to hear which knockdowns that scared you at the time or the knockdowns you were convinced was going to end the fight!
I know there should be a load of them but the ones that come to mind at the moment are..

Hopkins-Allen III (9th round?)
Pacquaio-Marquez II (round 5?)
De La Hoya-Mayorga round 1
Jones-Calzaghe round 1 (calz getting up)
Tszyu-Mitchell II (1st KD of round 3)
Forrest-Mosley (round 2)
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Too many to mention, every second fight Evander Holyfield was in. LOL

One I saw very recently was Bradley-Holt. Holt caught him with a beautiful shot, clean on the chin, Bradley hit the canvass damn hard and pretty much got straight up. I was impressed.

D-MARV
The most famous Knock Down in boxing history and what (I feel) defines Ali's career... Ali-Frazier I.
EirbinX
how about when pavlik got knockdown by taylor in Rd. 2. that looked like it waz gonna be over
EirbinX
how about when pavlik got knockdown by taylor in Rd. 2. that looked like it waz gonna be over
EirbinX
EirbinX
JLUVBABY
most recent i thought bradley was ko'd vs holt in the first round.. just the way he went down looked like a one hitter quitter...lol
Al Hata
QUOTE (EirbinX @ Apr 18 2009, 10:16 AM) *

Yea I thought Pavlik was done also.

I also thought Pac was gonna stop Marq in that round 1. Thought Jones and Hop could have got Joe out in round 1.
STEVENSKI
The second knockdown Chico took in round 10 vs Castillo. I though he was dead & he got up & did the greatest thing I have ever seen in the ring.
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 18 2009, 10:40 AM) *
About every knock down in the Lewis-Briggs fight. Also the left hook that Mosley landed in the rematch of Vargas, as that wasn't the punch that ended the fight, though it appeared it was going to.

Good one! Most of the KD's against Briggs looked like winners to me!
Totally forgot to throw the Mosley-Vargas fight..that left hook looked picture perfect that was going to end the night right there and then!

QUOTE (EirbinX @ Apr 18 2009, 03:16 PM) *

If only Taylor could have finished Pav off..that time will come soon!
JonnyBlaze
Joe Louis vs. Buddy Baer 1 and 2..Also Joe Louis vs. Schmeling 2(I can't believe he got back up)..

Joe Frazier vs. George Foreman(many times I thought he was all done)

Lennox Lewis vs. Grant(George Foreman"he broke his legs",but he got up)

Corrales vs. A. Freitas

Like Ollie said,the Holt/Bradley knockdown was huge..I can't believe he got up..

Also,any fighter who lands face first in the mat and gets up..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 19 2009, 03:22 AM) *
Joe Louis vs. Buddy Baer 1 and 2..Also Joe Louis vs. Schmeling 2(I can't believe he got back up)..

Joe Frazier vs. George Foreman(many times I thought he was all done)

Lennox Lewis vs. Grant(George Foreman"he broke his legs",but he got up)

Corrales vs. A. Freitas

Like Ollie said,the Holt/Bradley knockdown was huge..I can't believe he got up..

Also,any fighter who lands face first in the mat and gets up..

Not only that Jonny, the fucker got back up like the Energizer bunny. I am a new fan of Bradley, I like that kid.

The best come back off the canvas win that I ever saw live on TV (up until Corrales/Castillo) was Benn against McClellan. I had just arrived in London and watched it in the Rat and Parrot pub in Covent Garden (seems like yesterday, great sports events can do that to you), one of the most astonishing atmospheres I have watched a fight in. When Benn got the knockout the place went fuckin mental, of course no-one was aware of the trouble that McClellan was in but shit Benn looked finished for all money many many times in that fight.
JonnyBlaze
I also want to add everyone who got back up from a Micky Ward liver shot..

I was a fan of Bradley's before the Holt fight..He has mad heart but it looked like his skills weren't as sharp as before in the Holt fight..His defense was good but not as good as before..I think Holt deserves credit for that but I don't know why he wasn't throwing many punches after dropping Bradley..Maybe he got discouraged that he hit Bradley with all he got and he took it and came back..
Big Slim Sweet
The third (I think) knockdown in Lewis-Briggs is the one that jumps out at me. I think even Briggs thought he was knocked out for a second.

Razor Ruddock-Bonecrusher Smith is another. Ruddock not only got up but knocked Smith out a few rounds later.
Lil-lightsout
Holmes by the right hand of Shavers.

Moorer dropped by Cooper in opening seconds of first round, looked like he was out. Probably most seen the fight already, but if you did not, you need to see it.
iron_mike
What about Tyson Douglas round 8?
King Eugene
Tsyzu vs. Judah....oh wait, the fight did end. LOL

I can't remember who it was that Foreman fought but it only went four rounds and both of them dropped each other. All of those KD's looked like they could have ended the fight.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 20 2009, 11:00 PM) *
Tsyzu vs. Judah....oh wait, the fight did end. LOL

I can't remember who it was that Foreman fought but it only went four rounds and both of them dropped each other. All of those KD's looked like they could have ended the fight.

Ron Lyle. Magnificent fight!!!
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 20 2009, 11:07 PM) *
Ron Lyle. Magnificent fight!!!

Yep thats exactly who it was. Great fight!
BigG
Definitely 3rd KD of Pac-Marquez.....amazing how he schooled Pac after that..with a broken nose and all.
King Eugene
The KD's that Bryant Brannon received from Roy all look like the fight could have easily been stopped by the ref.

The Holyfield and Bowe fight was another one as well.
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 20 2009, 03:55 AM) *
Moorer dropped by Cooper in opening seconds of first round, looked like he was out. Probably most seen the fight already, but if you did not, you need to see it.

Great round!

QUOTE (iron_mike @ Apr 20 2009, 05:07 PM) *
What about Tyson Douglas round 8?

Good call

Others that come to mind are

Mayweather-Hatton ringpost KD had me!
I think the 1st KD of R12 Trinidad-Vargas where Fernando's head twists in almost a circuler motion!
Ward-Gatti liver KD. Gatti pretty much got up at the count of 10 lol!
iron_mike
Pac Marquez 1, don't know if already mentioned
Maxy
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 19 2009, 11:55 PM) *
Holmes by the right hand of Shavers.

Yeah I was going to mention both of those.

That right hand Shavers landed on Holmes would have finished 90% of all heavyweights then and there. Crushing punch.

Credit to Larry. He got a lot of stick when he was fighting, but if there was a Larry Holmes boxing today the fans would be salivating!
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I got a copule that just happened recently. Glen Johnson-Daniel Judah the rematch. That right hand at the end of the 1st round looked like it had Judah out, but he made it the distance.

How bout Campbell-Funeka. That overhand right in the 2nd round put Funeka down pretty hard, but dude was tough and a good figther.
flazi
Julian Letterlough vs Gonzalez. The last kd Gonzalez suffered where he was all glass eyed arms and legs sprawled across the canvass looking at the ceiling. I thought he was done for sure but he got up and won the fight.
STEVENSKI
One I remember was Mosley vs Taylor at 147. First round Taylor went down like he took a bullet from Shane but got up & fought 4 more rounds til his corner waved it off.
King Eugene
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Apr 21 2009, 05:30 PM) *
How bout Campbell-Funeka. That overhand right in the 2nd round put Funeka down pretty hard, but dude was tough and a good figther.

I thought Funeka was done! I was totally suprised when he got up.

I'm ready to see him fight again. He reminds me of PWill with his build.
JonnyBlaze
Dempsey/Tunney 2---was a KO but he got the long count..

Archie Moore/Yvon Durrelle 1---I thought both of em could of been KO'd..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.