Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Froch vs. Taylor:WBC SuperMiddleweight Title
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
I am really looking forward to this fight! The experiance of Jermain Taylor vs. the hard-punching Carl Froch! Kudos that it is on Showtime instead of HBO, so we don't have to listen to Jim Lamply's "Ga-Ga Raves Over The Olympian!" with Max Kellerman joining him. Showtime's commentary seems to be less biased and more professional. Vote in the poll!

Jack

Administrator
Jack 1000
I am going to take Froch by an upset SD. I have never really been all that impressed with Taylor, even though I thought he won both Hopkins fights 115-113. Although, if championship fights were still 15-rounds, I think Hopkins could have pulled it out. Remember, Taylor's best wins were against an old Hopkins. Warring with Pavlik shows Taylor's heart, but there is a certain meaness and toughness about Froch that I would favor in a toe-to-toe streetbrawl. Taylor is certainly more skilled and slick, but will Froch let him be that way? I'd like to see another Froch-Pascal war, and if we get another war like that, I think Froch could win on a close fight, maybe, maybe a late stoppage. Taylor's not this Superman that HBO's Lampley and Kellerman think he is.

Jack
The Original MrFactor
I've seen a little of Froch. he reminds me of a Vitaly Klitschko. He's deceptively quick and will be hitting Taylor with jabs that he doesnt see coming. However, Jermain tends to fight back when his back is upagainmst the wall(literally). So I see him having too much firepower for the inexperienced, robotic Froch. JT by mid KO.
Mean Mister Mustard
I agree that Froch will be hitting Taylor with jabs that he will not see coming. Froch looks deceptively easy to beat because he's tall, lanky and keeps his hands down. But he can punch, has a good chin and knows hot to box a little. Jean Pascal, the guy he last beat is like a Jermain Taylor and the difference in that fight was Froch's ability to keep up the momentum and established a jab. Taylor has a better jab than Pascal so this one will be a lot closer should they choose to engage in a long distance jabbing contest.

However, I expect Taylor's gameplan to go to shit once he tastes Froch's power and decides to train bombs. I thought JT loked very good against Pavlik in the rematch and if he can fight a disciplined bout like that he just might pull it off.

Froch though, seems like a very tough guy and I think he will rally late to take away the decision. Also throughout the bout he will probably right that straight right of his constantly on Taylor's mug.
The CEO
I kinda like this Froch guy...like MMM said...he has a good chin and punch, can box some, and comes to fight...PLUS he talks shit about Calzaghe....GOTTA like that...lol

I'd say he's a pretty live dog here...I'll go with the Draw....because Taylor's not as good as he used to be, and his new found holding skills won't serve him well against this kind of fighter....
ROLL DEEP
I'm going with Froch.

I think he'll drag Taylor into a bit of a war and will come out on top.

The first round or two will be cautious and Taylor's jab will be established, but as soon as Froch catches him, I don't think Taylor will be disciplined enough to stay boxing.

Froch CAN box a bit, as others have mentioned, and can can slug it out when needed to. I think he's too hungry, to determined to let this chance pass by.

I do like Taylor, but I can just see him, bouncing around all off beat like he does, and Froch catching him with a BIG right that wobbles him.

Froch UD.
MarzB
I'm going with Taylor.

Taylor can't see right hands and while Carl has a good one, he doesn't sit it up with a jab very well. In fact, I see a very glaring technical flaw in his jab. That is, he brings it back way too low which opens the door for a Taylor right hand.

The only reason IMO that Taylor didn't KO Pavlik the first instance is that when Pavlik got up, he didn't go to the body and went head hunting thus punching himself out.

Taylor has the quicker hands but unfortunate for him I still don't consider him a "smart" fighter. That said though, Tyalor definitely did something that limited Hopkins effectiveness against him and while he hasn't demonstrated that in 4+ years. He (and his career) being behind the 8 ball as he is is definitely gonna show for this one.

Taylor by late stoppage.
Maxy
I'm going with Froch to pull this one out. I'm hearing he's the underdog so I'll definitely put some money on this one.

Although Taylor has the quicker hands, Froch is the hungrier fighter and I see him landing plenty of those uppercuts en-route to a 12 round decision. I do think it will be a close fight but I also believe that if Froch boxes at his very best he will gain the respect in America which Joe Calzaghe never did.

One thing I'm sure of is that it'll be an excellent fight.
Romulus9
Taylor is such an enigma. It always seems like he's just short of being something really terrific. Take the fight with Winky Wright for example. You got the sense that if he would've turned it up a little and stayed in the middle of the ring (where he controlled the action) instead of backing into the corner, he would have walked away with a fairly simple decision win. Instead, although I still had him winning the fight, he made it much harder than it should have been and escaped with a draw.

The Pavlik fights were great but it again illustrates the fact that he's just short of being where he needs to be. The talent is there. No question about it. Unfortunately, the deficiencies are still there. Carrying the left hand shockingly low (nice target for Pavlik, wasn't it?) and swinging back and forth for some unknown reason, lazy footwork at times, tendency to retreat to a corner for no reason whatsoever (even against guys who aren't pressure fighters. Should Cory Spinks or Winky Wright back ANYONE into a corner? EVER?!). Things like that are inexplicable and tend to keep B+ fighters from becoming A fighters.

That said, I think Froch is still an unknown commodity for the most part. Nice record, a couple of names, but not a great deal to show for it. This is certainly his chance to shake up the division, make his presence felt, and get that first big win that will keep his name in the minds of the boxing community.

I think Jermain is still on the rise, still improving, still growing as a fighter. After the Pavlik wars, the Hopkins fights, the close calls with Spinks and Wright, he's getting a better grasp on what he is and what he's not. What he is, in my opinion, is better than Froch in many, many ways.

I'll take Taylor by late stoppage or on points. Froch may have something to offer the division as a whole, but this just isn't the right time, place, or opponent. Not yet, anyway.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (wvu8893 @ Apr 23 2009, 01:34 PM) *
Taylor is such an enigma. It always seems like he's just short of being something really terrific. Take the fight with Winky Wright for example. You got the sense that if he would've turned it up a little and stayed in the middle of the ring (where he controlled the action) instead of backing into the corner, he would have walked away with a fairly simple decision win. Instead, although I still had him winning the fight, he made it much harder than it should have been and escaped with a draw.

The Pavlik fights were great but it again illustrates the fact that he's just short of being where he needs to be. The talent is there. No question about it. Unfortunately, the deficiencies are still there. Carrying the left hand shockingly low (nice target for Pavlik, wasn't it?) and swinging back and forth for some unknown reason, lazy footwork at times, tendency to retreat to a corner for no reason whatsoever (even against guys who aren't pressure fighters. Should Cory Spinks or Winky Wright back ANYONE into a corner? EVER?!). Things like that are inexplicable and tend to keep B+ fighters from becoming A fighters.

That said, I think Froch is still an unknown commodity for the most part. Nice record, a couple of names, but not a great deal to show for it. This is certainly his chance to shake up the division, make his presence felt, and get that first big win that will keep his name in the minds of the boxing community.

I think Jermain is still on the rise, still improving, still growing as a fighter. After the Pavlik wars, the Hopkins fights, the close calls with Spinks and Wright, he's getting a better grasp on what he is and what he's not. What he is, in my opinion, is better than Froch in many, many ways.

I'll take Taylor by late stoppage or on points. Froch may have something to offer the division as a whole, but this just isn't the right time, place, or opponent. Not yet, anyway.

Good post. Taylor has so many deficiencies that had people questioning whether he would live up to his potential. We are now 9 years after he went to the olympics, he is no longer a prospect, that stage of his career ended after the 1st Hopkins fight although some people still considered him a work in progress. Now we can safely say he didn't live up to the potential but he's not all bad. He did beat Hopkisn twice, I think he should get more credit for that. Fought a streaking Wright to a draw, beat Ouma, Spinks, Lacy. He belongs as a top international fighter.
Jack 1000
I agree,

It's really a 50/50 fight. A great Taylor can win, but Taylor can make fights against unknown opponents look more difficult than he should. I agree with everything said. It's like Jermain is just on the threshold of doing something great, but than he has a downfall that puts him three steps back. I would like to know more about Froch other than the Pascal war, but in America, we don't get to see Carl's fights. This will put favorite money on Taylor, maybe 4-1, even 5-1, because outside of die-hard fight fans and historians, few know who Carl is in the States. This will be a very strong incentive for large underdog betting on Froch.

Jack
Maxy
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 23 2009, 03:29 PM) *
I would like to know more about Froch other than the Pascal war, but in America, we don't get to see Carl's fights.

The really sad thing is for us Brits, the only television coverage is delayed until the next evening. Considering the excitement the Pascal fight brought to free to air TV I'm amazed nobody has snapped this bout up over here.

There is just no way I can avoid the result until the next evening.
lloyd mayflower
Maxy, whats channels the fight on on sunday?
Al Hata

I had my eyes on Taylor ever since the Olympics. I thought he was going to be the next star in boxing. That didn't happen. It seemed like Taylor just never really improved his skill set. If right now, Taylor fought a great fight and fought the best fight he could I don't think anybody would beat him. However, that's yet to happen and probably won't happen. i do not know much about Froch but I do know that Taylor will probably not fight the fight he should and it will be close. I'll go with Taylor by SD though.

STEVENSKI
Here is a link to a stream for UK viewers

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...icle2391986.ece
Maxy
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 24 2009, 01:27 AM) *
Here is a link to a stream for UK viewers

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...icle2391986.ece

Cheers for that. If I'm up at that time of the morning I'll check it out, but I'm out on the piss tomorrow night so I'll probably just catch the delayed screening later in the day.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I like Taylor big in this fight. Taylor has fought and beaten the much better fighters. He has a nice jab, and he got back to the basics against Lacy. He was throwing nice combos, and I expect to see more of that against Froch. Froch really hasn't been tested except against Pascal. I saw Froch fight last May, and he's pretty good. However, people are underrating Taylor just a bit I think. He's beaten some top fighters, and he'll win this one by mid round KO.
D-MARV
Taylor SD.

Bute beats both of them.
Imperius3
Taylor has fought some of the best fighters in the world. He has major experience fighting at the championship level...and Froch doesn't. That is what settles this one for me.

Taylor by clear decision.
hardhead
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 25 2009, 01:51 AM) *
Taylor SD.

Bute beats both of them.

I second that, Bute I think is the man to beat in that division. He has that Andrade fight hanging over his head but from what I saw, as bad as the ref did that fight, regardless Bute was up before 10 and survived to the bell.

Froch seems like a pretty tough, hungry, determined fighter so it think he's going to keep the pressure on and that will provide us with some good action/exchanges. I do worry about Taylor's stamina down the stretch but for some reason I think he puts on a great performance to win a very close decision.
salvador
QUOTE (wvu8893 @ Apr 23 2009, 01:34 PM) *
Taylor is such an enigma. It always seems like he's just short of being something really terrific.

I think Jermain is still on the rise, still improving, still growing as a fighter.

I totally agree with your first statement, but I can't even remotely understand the second. I think that, with the exception of the first few rounds of the second Pavlik fight, Taylor has completely lost his drive/(maybe even his confidence) after Hopkins. It's as if his heart just isn't in it anymore.

kingknockout
lol at bernard mentally taking out that strong drive and steam out of this young boys career, it's possible.

bernard is just that good, taylor wasn't ready for ol B-hop...it was too soon, way too soon, now look whats happening, it's crazy cus he always starts off so good
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.