Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO: Lopez vs. Penalosa@9PM (CST) SPOILERS@ 9:15
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
For all on-going comments and post fight reactions to tonight's fight on HBO.

Jack

Administrator
Lil-lightsout
Lamont Peterson just won, boring fight.
Lil-lightsout
Good scrap so far. Penalosa got some huge calves, must be a Filipeno(sp) thing.
Lil-lightsout
Awesome end to third round!!! Just straight trading power shots! Penalosa atleast trying to win.
Mean Mister Mustard
Lopez is not slowing down. He's a monster.
KookedKrack
Penalosa is one tough motherfucker.
Lil-lightsout
JMM giving him a beatdown, Penalosa has an iron chin. JMM throws so many damn punches, who the heck can beat this guy?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 25 2009, 10:23 PM) *
JMM giving him a beatdown, Penalosa has an iron chin. JMM throws so many damn punches, who the heck can beat this guy?

Celestino Caballero who's a freak could beat him. I think Lopes's sharp accuracy KO's Marquez and outboxes Vasquez.
Lil-lightsout
Fucking Penalosa is as tough as they come, JT could learn a thing or two about toughness from this guy. Penalosa actually gave some good shots in round 7.
Mean Mister Mustard
Penalosa must train like a madman and has that natural toughness.
Lil-lightsout
Great round 8, Penalosa needs cat scan as soon as fight is over. JMM is a machine, but Gerry is just unbelieveably tough.
D-MARV
JuanMA is GOD!!!

Lil-lightsout
Roach stops fight after round 9, very good call. I am beyond impressed with both fighters for different reasons.
Mean Mister Mustard
Lopez showed he can bang on the inside just as good as he can box.

And Penalosa is a good fighter. He could have beaten a lot of fighters tonight.
D-MARV
Paul Williams and JuanMa will take over boxing by the end of 2010.

JuanMa should fight Vasquez next.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 25 2009, 11:37 PM) *
Paul Williams and Juan Manuel Lopez will take over boxing by the end of 2010.

JMM is a mini-clone of PW.
PR316
Juanma is a beast. He's going to be hard to beat. Such a high workrate of punches without slowing down. There aren't too many men with the jaw and will of Penalosa.

Lopez is going to be hard to beat.
Michigan Assassin
How big are Penalosa's balls? Coming up in weight to face a young monster like Juanma and giving his all like that.

And he never seemed stunned. A few of Juanma's shots moved him but he always seemed to have his wits about him in the corner.
The CEO
This was another interesting and stimulating fight....as a Boxing fan, you really got a good mix tonight with Froch-Taylor and this one....

Amazing displays from both men here....Penalosa doesn't get hurt...he just gets pissed...I stood up and applauded for him after Roach stopped it....vigorously.

In a strange way....even though he got dominated....it's almost like Gerry upstaged JuanMa a bit....

and yes....Lopez was tremendous....that boy's got "The Right Stuff"....and one more thing....stop being an attention whore, Tito....everybody loves you....you ain't gotta be like that....
torvix2000
Huh? Penalosa moved up in weight? I forgot about that.
BigG
Juan Manuel did what he was supposed to but let me tell you this....I've watched Gerry's career and all those dudes at the lighter weights..Darchinyan, Montiel, Donaire..would have got whooped by Gerry.

Juan Ma did what he did because he totally outsized small OLD Gerry...but Gerry puffed his face up and fought til the end.

But skillwise Gerry was not out of this fight. In fact in technical skills I think he had the edge but thats the only thing that kept him in because he totally couldnt even budge Juan Manuel. Juan Ma pounded him on the inside.

With that said, thank you Gerry for a great fight and Juan Ma....you won but you were supposed to....I'm not gonna call you GOD like some other posters here. Fight Rafael Marquez and lets see how you hold up because this little old mans punches didn't budge you and his whole stay is staying right in front of you.

It's just such a fucking shame that he never got the big fights and had to resort to moving up in weight..fighting BEASTS like Jhonny Gonzalez, Juan Manuel Lopez, and Ponce De Leon. But as a big fan I'm really proud of the fight Gerry put up and he went out like the old warrior he is
The CEO
I'm with you, Big G....I'd forgotten Gerry had moved up in weight too....I ain't about to deem Lopez the future #1 P4P....I mean....I like what I see....the technique, the poise, the arsenal....but he's gonna have to pass 4, 5 more real tests to get almighty props.....same goes for Victor Ortiz....

On a related note...I know for a fact that this fight tonight has given Pacquiao some EXTRA inspiration for next week....it's gonna be brutally beautiful.
BigG
But Juan Ma, is obviously the future of the lower weights.

Still, Gerry deserves almighty props. The whole stadium gave him a standing ovation after the fight. Juan Manuel Lopez landed a shitload of shots on him.
kidbazooka1
Gerry took a helluva shot but thats pretty much all he did in the fight. Lopez won every rd and despite getting hit with two or three punches during the fight he was never hurt sh*t he didn't even blink I just hope Roach didn't stop the fight a liitle too late beatings like those do you no good in the long run.

Lopez is a f*Cking monster he never got tired he just kept coming. A fight with Marquez or Vasquez will be wars they have to happen sooner than later.
BigG
^ Dude, he got hit with more than "2 or 3" punches because he too had some puffing around his face.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 26 2009, 02:09 AM) *
^ Dude, he got hit with more than "2 or 3" punches because he too had some puffing around his face.

I know G I was just exaggerating a bit obviousley JuanMA got hit with more shots.

But Gerry was getting whooped rather easly Roach should have stopped the fight earlier. Lopez is the future of the lower weights I see him dominating for a very long time.
BigG
It was hard for me to watch that because Gerry is one of my favorite boxers ever but I'm glad he had some great moments and showed his skills.

Just think about this Bazooka....would Montiel, Donaire, Darchinyan have lasted long with a beast like Juan Manuel? I think not....
torvix2000
Why didn't Penalosa fight at a lower weight division?
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 26 2009, 03:23 AM) *
It was hard for me to watch that because Gerry is one of my favorite boxers ever but I'm glad he had some great moments and showed his skills.

Just think about this Bazooka....would Montiel, Donaire, Darchinyan have lasted long with a beast like Juan Manuel? I think not....

I agree with you 100% G none of the guys mentioned above would have lasted anywhere near as long as Gerry did I give him big props for takeing those bombs i just hope he wasn't too brave for his own good. Gerry is a good person a very down to earth human being I wouldn't want to see him hurt.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 26 2009, 02:06 AM) *
But Juan Ma, is obviously the future of the lower weights.

Still, Gerry deserves almighty props. The whole stadium gave him a standing ovation after the fight. Juan Manuel Lopez landed a shitload of shots on him.

Yup..Juan ML is a bad dude..I don't know who I'd pick to beat him..I do know that him and Vasquez or Marquez would make for amazing fights..JML's body punches are brutal..I've always liked him but tonight was something else..I can't wait for his next fight,he is definitely up there with my favorites of today..He has very impressive technique and accuracy..I especially like his right hook..

I give mad props to Gerry,he loves boxing more than 90% of boxers today..He does it because he loves it..He would have went down after being hit 80+ times with power punches if he didn't love boxing as much as he does..He was willing to die tonight..He took one of the worst beatings I've seen in long while and kept coming out for the next round..He had a good career,it's just too bad he hasn't gotten more praise than he has gotten..
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 26 2009, 02:37 AM) *
Yup..Juan ML is a bad dude..I don't know who I'd pick to beat him..I do know that him and Vasquez or Marquez would make for amazing fights..JML's body punches are brutal..I've always liked him but tonight was something else..I can't wait for his next fight,he is definitely up there with my favorites of today..He has very impressive technique and accuracy..I especially like his right hook..

I give mad props to Gerry,he loves boxing more than 90% of boxers today..He does it because he loves it..He would have went down after being hit 80+ times with power punches if he didn't love boxing as much as he does..He was willing to die tonight..He took one of the worst beatings I've seen in long while and kept coming out for the next round..He had a good career,it's just too bad he hasn't gotten more praise than he has gotten..

Ever since Lopez KO'ed Deleon in brutal fashion he became one of if not my favorite current fighter today the guy is the total package.
BigG
Yes, I've met Gerry and he is a very nice guy and a humble dude....and your right Johnny..Gerry loves the sport he trains fighters in the Philippines with his brother Doddie Boy who was a 2 division Champ in the 80's and even has his own gym there...but I knew this was coming as soon as I heard the fight was announced. This is his ONLY decisive and clear loss. It was a brutal one...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Apr 26 2009, 02:43 AM) *
Ever since Lopez KO'ed Deleon in brutal fashion he became one of if not my favorite current fighter today the guy is the total package.

That was another great fight from him..I could see him becoming my top favorite of today but want a couple more fights from him and see how he keeps improving..All you could ask of him after this fight is to not get hit with some of the counter shots he got hit with..He has really good defense already but there is always room to improve..I see him getting up as high as lightweight in his future..Once he decides to move up,he's gonna take over featherweight in my opinion..I also think his power will move up with him..Gerry was only able to take so many tonight cause of how much of a beast he is..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 26 2009, 02:51 AM) *
Yes, I've met Gerry and he is a very nice guy and a humble dude....and your right Johnny..Gerry loves the sport he trains fighters in the Philippines with his brother Doddie Boy who was a 2 division Champ in the 80's and even has his own gym there...but I knew this was coming as soon as I heard the fight was announced. This is his ONLY decisive and clear loss. It was a brutal one...

Where'd you meet him?That's awesome..That's really cool he trains guys too..He is getting old,especially for the lower weight divisions..He has a really good record and I hope he keeps up training guys..He should retire though..I was pretty worried about him and thank god Freddie stopped it..
kidbazooka1
Right now I would like to see JuanMa go after Caballero who with his skills and height can cause some problems but eventually i see Lopez getting to his long torso and wearing his body down then i would like to see him tangle with either Marquez or vasquez those will be wars for the ages but i'll slightly favor JuanMa in both.
D-MARV
I met JuanMa!!!!

so what you got to say about that BigG?
The Original MrFactor
Lopez fights like Cotto. the way he carries himself in the ring, is very Cotto-like... Disciplined determination. he's a pretty good fight. I'd love to see how he does when the comp is a bit better...
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 27 2009, 05:12 AM) *
Lopez fights like Cotto. the way he carries himself in the ring, is very Cotto-like... Disciplined determination. he's a pretty good fight. I'd love to see how he does when the comp is a bit better...

Lopez kind of has that Cotto style but after watching the fight again last night the way JuanMa fought Gerry reminded me a lot of a prime Chavez they way he would apply effective pressure, throw punches in bunches to the head and body and cutting off the ring that was vintage Chavez style all the way.

BigG
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 26 2009, 09:49 PM) *
I met JuanMa!!!!

so what you got to say about that BigG?

LOL Dmarv youre truly a nutswinger of these guys (Lopez and Paul Williams).

Lopez will dominate 122-126 without much trouble.
D-MARV
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 28 2009, 11:18 AM) *
LOL Dmarv youre truly a nutswinger of these guys (Lopez and Paul Williams).

Lopez will dominate 122-126 without much trouble.

Lopez VS Vasquez or Maquez is what I want to see.
BigG
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 28 2009, 03:33 PM) *
Lopez VS Vasquez or Maquez is what I want to see.

Marquez gives Lopez the tougher fight.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 28 2009, 10:41 AM) *

I agree Marquez more technical boxing along with his one punch power would give JuanMa more problems than Vasquez.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ Apr 28 2009, 10:41 AM) *

I agree with this in theory but Vazquez has that extra something a fighter can't train for and you just never know exactly how a man will respond until he actually faces him.
D-MARV
Lopez knocks Vasquez out in the middle rounds... He knocks Marquez out late.
JonnyBlaze
I really wonder how Lopez would respond to Vasquez or Marquez's power..He was taking some good shots from Penalosa and he admitted he felt em pretty good(not a bad thing at all) but I wonder how he'd handle either of their punches..I would rather see him fight Marquez too..
Big Slim Sweet
I love watching Lopez fight as much as anyone and agree the sky's the limit for him but you guys are jumping the gun here automatically assuming he'd blow right past Vazquez and Marquez at this point. I'm not saying he wouldn't beat both of them but I need to see it first before I declare it one of life's truisms. Ponce DeLeon and a smaller, older Penalosa are not in the same league as those two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.