Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should Floyd Mayweather be at #1 P4P if he returns?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
torvix2000
Haters and nuthuggers, let's have a pact. Agree on one thing. Let's put him at a much lower position. The haters will be satisfied. And those nuthuggers who will balk at this idea will still have the chance for Floyd to regain his #1 P4P.

If Floyd beats Marquez at 140 lbs, then I'd put him at around #3 or lower depending on the outcome. He beat Marquez at 147 and he'll be at #10.
D-MARV
If he blows Marquez away then I would put him back at #1.
STEVENSKI
No
torvix2000
Nope! He's supposed to blow Marquez away. But if he blows him at 135 (which is impossible), then I'd put him back at #1 P4P.
STEVENSKI
Look if this fight is made at 140 where it should be but will not be than PBF could regain the #1 spot if he blew Marquez away.
torvix2000
This is also a thread to isolate those who are simply rationalizing Mayweather's actions from those who sleep with Floyd's nut in their beds.
D-MARV
How about 143?
torvix2000
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 27 2009, 01:23 AM) *
Look if this fight is made at 140 where it should be but will not be than PBF could regain the #1 spot if he blew Marquez away.

Fair enough. Let's up that a little bit. From 135 to 140. He blows Marquez away at 140 and he's #1 P4P again.
torvix2000
143?

Nope!

(135 (Marquez) + 147 (Mayweather) ) divided by 2 = 141.
D-MARV
I read reports that 143 is the likely catchweight.
D-MARV
either way... They will weigh the same on fight night.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 02:24 AM) *
How about 143?

No. I can see why it would be made at that weight (to make it considerable easier for PBF) but if it is that high then I will give little credence to a PBF win.

Look at Castillo vs Corrales II when a couple of lbs made a massive massive difference to the fight.
D-MARV
whta if they weight the same on fight night? does that make a difference?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 02:35 AM) *
whta if they weight the same on fight night? does that make a difference?

I am a purist dude. I believe in same day weigh ins, 15 round fights & champions making the fights that matter.

If they weigh anything less than 150 come fight time then the fight is at a artificially high weight.

This fight should be made at 140 & no higher. Not because I hate PNF & want him weight drained but because the best fight these two could have would be at 140 or preferrably 135.

Both fighters could make 140 pretty easily & it would be a great fight to make. As it is it will be a good fight but at a weight too high for JMM to stand any chance of winning hence it being called a mismatch & a farce by many.
Imperius3
Mayweather will not be on my P4P list until he fights at least two bouts. Where I put him on the list depends on how he performs in those bouts.
Fitz
I can only allow Mayweather to take over from Pacquiao if he beats a Mosley, Cotto or someone credible at 147. Beating Marquez won't cut it to take #1 just like that.
torvix2000
So, it's settled then? We're gonna see the looks on his face when he finds out that he's not at #1. We'll gonna have to post an official list of our top 10. I hope those sane editors, reporters, websites follow.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 27 2009, 07:24 AM) *
So, it's settled then? We're gonna see the looks on his face when he finds out that he's not at #1. We'll gonna have to post an official list of our top 10. I hope those sane editors, reporters, websites follow.

Nothing is settled. What are you talking about? P4P is subjective & only opinion based. You can make up a list like anyone else but it will only be based on opinion.

I will not have PBF #1 P4P & many other will not, others will.
torvix2000
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 27 2009, 07:30 AM) *
Nothing is settled. What are you talking about? P4P is subjective & only opinion based. You can make up a list like anyone else but it will only be based on opinion.

I will not have PBF #1 P4P & many other will not, others will.

Yup! It's subjective! It would be fine as long as a lot of us won't put PBF very high on the list. Let the nuthuggers do that.
dbdbdb
I just want to comment briefly on this P4P BS.

In Reality: As stated, P4P is purely subjective and actually means little, other than to give credit where credit is due. Who holds the Championship belt in their respective weight class is the TOP DOG. And since there are several boxing organizations with belts .. Sadly, The term Champion has become diluted to the point that it doesn't really matter who has a belt. IMHO, the Championship belt should supersede or trump any P4P ranking system.

The Promoters and Networks are playing up this P4P BS to generate financial gains because they realize that there are too many belts in each weight class and the only way to generate income based on the belts is if one person has them all. And because of the promotional BS, that's not a reality because then the promoters lose their edge and they don't want to lose their foot-hold on control.

Now on topic -- A returning after retirement PBF does not deserve to be TOP DOG in the P4P ranking -- the same way he doesn't get any Championship belts returned to him. He, like everyone else has to earn it from the bottom up.

How any P4P ranking is going to be earned is SUBJECTIVE, because everyone has a opinion and position. The Network and promoters would like PBF to have that classification as soon as possible, because it will generate immediate financial gains for them ........

But is it they who control boxing and the P4P ranking system????????

The last time I checked RING magazine {Currently Owned by GBP} controls the P4P ranking system and since that is the case .... Whomever is in a position to generate the most finance will mysteriously become the P4P #1. In spite of any list made by the public, in spite of any list made by hardcore fans, in spite of any list made by writers, announcers etc .... In essence, GBP is in a better position to influence that decision because they OWN The Ring Magazine.

So, IMHO ...... P4P = BS

Deregulation - An impotent Boxing Commission - Greedy Fighters and Promoters have all contributed to this shell of what BOXING should be about. If the GREAT J.Johnson, F.Paterson, J.Dempsey, R.Marciano got a look of what we call boxing in this modern society .... they would be rolling over in their graves.

It is a Disgrace!!!!!
D-MARV
I bet Floyd will be #1 on many of the recognized lists. But, as mentioned, those lists are subjective.

1. Paul Williams
2. Juan Manuel Lopez
3. Chad Dawson

That's what my list would look like if we went on pure talent and nuts but you have throw in accomplishments and all that other shit...
salvador
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 09:04 AM) *
I bet Floyd will be #1 on many of the recognized lists. But, as mentioned, those lists are subjective.

1. Paul Williams
2. Juan Manuel Lopez
3. Chad Dawson

That's what my list would look like if we went on pure talent and nuts but you have throw in accomplishments and all that other shit...

I like your way of thinking in terms of Williams and Lopez, as they are clearly the most dominant guys in their respective divisions on a p4p basis, but Dawson just barely got past Johnson, so I'd have to put Pacquiao at #2, Lopez at #3, and Dawson somewhere around #10.

I agree that it's virtually impossible to put Floyd at #1p4p if he's fighting at ww when, not only is he not totally dominant within his division, but would actually be the underdog against the division's top beast.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 10:04 AM) *

1. Paul Williams
2. Juan Manuel Lopez
3. Chad Dawson

Paul Williams?.....# 1?.....

g thats stretchin it a bit aint it?

A freak of nature fighting in all the wrong weight classes?...

You'll see,....esp if he fight's in the correct division. I see him lossing to Kelly Pavlik, easy.

Sugar Q
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Apr 27 2009, 05:38 PM) *

You'll see,....esp if he fight's in the correct division. I see him lossing to Kelly Pavlik, easy.

Paul at 147 is an insult after Winky but Paul at 154-160 is where he belongs and if he gets Pavlik coming off Mora I'd take Paul all day.
D-MARV
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Apr 27 2009, 05:38 PM) *

Wrong division? He just fought at 160 and DOMINATED a man who has never been dominated.

Pavlik has 0% chance of beating PWIll.
salvador
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Apr 27 2009, 04:43 PM) *
Paul at 147 is an insult after Winky but Paul at 154-160 is where he belongs and if he gets Pavlik coming off Mora I'd take Paul all day.

Why is it an insult for Paul to fight at a weight he claims he has no trouble making?

I think it's an insult to fans that the guys at 147 are refusing to fight him.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 06:05 PM) *

Thats going a little overboard don't you think? PW has never been hit by a hard punching middleweight yet. I would slightly favor PW over Pavlik, but it is ridiculous to think Pavlik has no chance.
The CEO
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 06:05 PM) *

Holy shit!....your Manopause must be more advanced than I thought...laugh.gif

friends.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 27 2009, 07:08 PM) *
Why is it an insult for Paul to fight at a weight he claims he has no trouble making?

When was the last fight PW had at welterweight? He goes back down and campaigns at welter and he would have to get a title shot. And then he can take it from there, all the others would look foolish if he keeps calling him out then they refuse. I personally do not see him easily making the weight. Look what Oscar looked like from 154 to 147. Now Paul is going from 160 back to 147, you be crazy to think he would not be affected negatively by the weight loss. Until he actually drops the weight, it is all just talk. Thats it.
dbdbdb

On point salvador,

Its getting to a point where PW won't be able to make a living in the fight game. Winky was in the same boat ... and now that these two faced each other ... how are they supposed to get a fight now.

Boxing is definitely declining as a COMPETITIVE sport.
Sugar Q

Let's face it Sal Paul would be lucky to make 147 and even if he does what are we looking at one fight which would still leave us with no champion at 147. Paul looks like a monster at 154 and quite beastly at 160. He already won a title at 147. Now it's time for us to see an epic battle at 147 with PBF, Shane, Cotto, Clottey, Hatton, Pacquiao, Marquez, etc. maybe when the dust clears if Paul is at 154 he can fight the 147 king. If it happens in that order it would definitely put boxing back on top. The tournament begins "THIS WEEKEND"
torvix2000
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Apr 27 2009, 11:52 PM) *
Let's face it Sal Paul would be lucky to make 147 and even if he does what are we looking at one fight which would still leave us with no champion at 147. Paul looks like a monster at 154 and quite beastly at 160. He already won a title at 147. Now it's time for us to see an epic battle at 147 with PBF, Shane, Cotto, Clottey, Hatton, Pacquiao, Marquez, etc. maybe when the dust clears if Paul is at 154 he can fight the 147 king. If it happens in that order it would definitely put boxing back on top. The tournament begins "THIS WEEKEND"

Hatton and Pac are 140'ers. Cotto and Shane are 147'ers. There will never really be a 147 tournament. But it's a good idea. Just like what somebody said here, he's not hatin'... he just enjoy seeing people get smashed. I don't want to see any decision. I'd prefer Pac getting smashed than him winning a close decision. I still remember the funny looks in his eyes when he went down and got cross-eyed by a jab. I enjoyed Hatton getting knocked out even though I rooted for him. I enjoyed Cotto's destruction. LOL! One thing I also don't like... the chicken run ala Gayweather against Baldomir.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Apr 27 2009, 08:08 PM) *
Hatton and Pac are 140'ers. Cotto and Shane are 147'ers. There will never really be a 147 tournament. But it's a good idea. Just like what somebody said here, he's not hatin'... he just enjoy seeing people get smashed. I don't want to see any decision. I'd prefer Pac getting smashed than him winning a close decision. I still remember the funny looks in his eyes when he went down and got cross-eyed by a jab. I enjoyed Hatton getting knocked out even though I rooted for him. I enjoyed Cotto's destruction. LOL! One thing I also don't like... the chicken run ala Gayweather against Baldomir.

The great thing about PBF against all those guys at 147-140 is I dont see him running from none of them. I see him battling all of them.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 27 2009, 07:11 PM) *
Thats going a little overboard don't you think? PW has never been hit by a hard punching middleweight yet. I would slightly favor PW over Pavlik, but it is ridiculous to think Pavlik has no chance.

You guys say what you want... I was also off my rocker when I said Winky had no chance.

Pavlik has to set up when he punches... When will he have time to set up?

Easy fight for PWILL. I hope they make this fight cuz I'll be sig betting everyone!
BoxingStill#1
What I was saying is how the hell can you put him #1 p4p just because he can beat people he dwarfs in the ring?...

I give credit where it is due, and P-Will's output is a bit nasty, Its hard to set up an offense when you have gloves hitting you from every angle known to man....granted............#1 though?....

P-Will is the man to beat. If you can beat him, (and not get knocked the fuck out in a rematch) you've proven quite a bit. But here is a list of fighters that will in fact give your boy serious problems. (even if they are smaller)

1 Forrest - in fact the first person I want to see him fight is Forest.
2 Mosely - will not cover up the whole fight and will throw some serious shit between PW onslought
3 Berto- would get in his chest and destroy him with speed. I see a victory here really
4 Abarham- lets get serious, do you think PW could beat this man?
5 Pavlik- his one demensional style would be be iffy, but his right hand would equalize all that nonsense.
6 Hopkins- would have a problem with the output, but lateral movement and body work would settle that bullshit down
7 PBF- yes, I said it, would nearly practically make PW swing @ everything but him. Straight rights to a easy U/D
8 Martinez- to crafty for your boy, but this would make for an interesting fight....

the list goes on.........

# 1?.....huh.

D-MARV
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Apr 27 2009, 10:03 PM) *
What I was saying is how the hell can you put him #1 p4p just because he can beat people he dwarfs in the ring?...

I give credit where it is due, and P-Will's output is a bit nasty, Its hard to set up an offense when you have gloves hitting you from every angle known to man....granted............#1 though?....

P-Will is the man to beat. If you can beat him, (and not get knocked the fuck out in a rematch) you've proven quite a bit. But here is a list of fighters that will in fact give your boy serious problems. (even if they are smaller)

1 Forrest - in fact the first person I want to see him fight is Forest.
2 Mosely - will not cover up the whole fight and will throw some serious shit between PW onslought
3 Berto- would get in his chest and destroy him with speed. I see a victory here really
4 Abarham- lets get serious, do you think PW could beat this man?
5 Pavlik- his one demensional style would be be iffy, but his right hand would equalize all that nonsense.
6 Hopkins- would have a problem with the output, but lateral movement and body work would settle that bullshit down
7 PBF- yes, I said it, would nearly practically make PW swing @ everything but him. Straight rights to a easy U/D
8 Martinez- to crafty for your boy, but this would make for an interesting fight....

the list goes on.........

# 1?.....huh.

LOL... I stopped reading that bullshit when you mentioned Berto's name.
Spyder
Alright, back on topic...lol

Yes, Floyd is the best fighter on the planet P4P!

If he's not retired, then no one is better.
salvador
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Apr 27 2009, 06:52 PM) *

He says he can make 147 and I'll believe him until he proves me wrong.

Just because Williams looks like a monster doesn't mean that Cotto and Floyd should duck him. It's not like SRL decided to duck Hearns or Hagler just because they both looked bulletproof.

It kills me that you really don't seem to want to see Williams fight the top wws. Why not? Deep down, who is Cotto? Who is Floyd? Why on earth don't you want to know that?

And what kind of serious ww tournament includes Pacquiao, JMM, and Hatton and DOESN'T include Williams?

kingknockout
LOl at people thinkin pavlik could set a match to Paul williams, lol....Paul would beat the hell out of that man, and look good doing it
dbdbdb
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 27 2009, 11:15 PM) *

Just because Williams looks like a monster doesn't mean that Cotto and Floyd should duck him. It's not like SRL decided to duck Hearns or Hagler just because they both looked bulletproof.

It kills me that you really don't seem to want to see Williams fight the top wws. Why not? Deep down, who is Cotto? Who is Floyd? Why on earth don't you want to know that?

And what kind of serious ww tournament includes Pacquiao, JMM, and Hatton and DOESN'T include Williams?

I agree with you Salvador,

Many seen to forget the fact, that the only reason PW ended up going higher in weight is because no one at his chosen weight 147lbs would go near him. And now that he's been dominating those at higher weights ... it is more unlikely that anyone at WW will willingly face him.

In total honesty I want to go back to the days where all the top guys had no choice but to fight each other ... no more picking & choosing. Fight the next in line or you lose your belts .. Period and NO exceptions.

HBO, GBP and Arum all need to be brought under some type of control or Boxing will become nothing more than wrestling with gloves.
Fitz
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ Apr 28 2009, 01:45 PM) *
In total honesty I want to go back to the days where all the top guys had no choice but to fight each other ... no more picking & choosing. Fight the next in line or you lose your belts .. Period and NO exceptions.

Yep, that's how it must be done. I also think at this rate, it should pretty much almost be mandatory for a certain amount of the purse going to the winner.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 28 2009, 12:05 AM) *
Yep, that's how it must be done. I also think at this rate, it should pretty much almost be mandatory for a certain amount of the purse going to the winner.

I always thought it should be 40/40 with the winner getting the other 20
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 28 2009, 12:49 AM) *
I think the guy that brings in more should get the larger portion, but there should also be a certain amount that goes to the winner.

So you mean if a guy presses the action, pleases the crowd, or perhaps be ahead on the cards for 11 straight rounds but gets caught and KO'd in the 12th he should still get the bigger portion just cause he made the fight action packed?

Or do you mean similar rules like the UFC...make it action packed...get a bonus or win by knockout and get a bonus?
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 28 2009, 01:25 AM) *
No, as the guy who 'brings in more', as in the guy who brings in more money and puts asses on seats. Like DLH should get paid more than anyone he fights, but from the entire pure, a certain portion should be set a side for the winner.
Lets say you have 40million for DLH vs Hatton. DLH takes $25m and Hatton has $10m, you have $5m set a side for the winner. Something like that. I still think the guy who brings more money should get paid more, but there should be a portion that is up for grabs.

Oh ok, my bad. Misunderstanding...I thought you meant the guy who brings more as in more excitement to the fight.
Brad
if Floyd were to sit out for 22 months of inactivity and came back to rematch a guy he'd already beat, lets say Arturo Gatti, Sharmba Mitchell, Zab Judah or someone of that calibre and blow them away, would any fan here think it would be wrong to rate Floyd as high as number 3 pound for pound? Folks were cool with Kostya Tszyu getting that #3 spot after taking 22 months off and returning to beat a guy he already beat.....
Sugar Q
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 27 2009, 11:15 PM) *

It's simple, Paul Williams just dominated one of the top 160-168 pound fighters in the world. Top 3 easily. Mayweather could pull it off but who else st 147 has a chance? NOBODY!!!! Paul just did what Margarito didnt have the balls to do "he went up in weight looking for a challenge" which was inevitable. He dismantled one of the top guys @154 then dismantled one of the top guys @160-168. All the guys at 147 either started at lower weights or at 147. Paul started at 156. He clearly came down to make his mark and get his ish together. Now that he's done it the only way most want to see one of the 147 guys fight him now is if one of them challenge him. Pacquiao just beat DeLaHoya @147 putting his ass in the vacinity of an ass whipping so he put his own ass in the pot just like Marquez is doing. Paul relinquished his crown for bigger and better things. I would love to see PBF, Clottey or Cotto challenge him but I don't think they have to. I don't need to see these guys beat into retardation to appreciate boxing. I would love to see them get out with their faculties intact.
salvador
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Apr 28 2009, 08:59 AM) *
It's simple, Paul Williams just dominated one of the top 160-168 pound fighters in the world. Top 3 easily. Mayweather could pull it off but who else st 147 has a chance? NOBODY!!!! Paul just did what Margarito didnt have the balls to do "he went up in weight looking for a challenge" which was inevitable. He dismantled one of the top guys @154 then dismantled one of the top guys @160-168. All the guys at 147 either started at lower weights or at 147. Paul started at 156. He clearly came down to make his mark and get his ish together. Now that he's done it the only way most want to see one of the 147 guys fight him now is if one of them challenge him. Pacquiao just beat DeLaHoya @147 putting his ass in the vacinity of an ass whipping so he put his own ass in the pot just like Marquez is doing. Paul relinquished his crown for bigger and better things. I would love to see PBF, Clottey or Cotto challenge him but I don't think they have to. I don't need to see these guys beat into retardation to appreciate boxing. I would love to see them get out with their faculties intact.

So you don't think any less of the names at 147 for ducking (choosing not to fight) the most formidable ww out there right now? Because Paul didn't "relinquish his crown for bigger and better things", he never had anything to relinquish because Marg was the only big name ww with balls big enough to fight him. Williams left because Floyd and Cotto ducked him, and in order to get any semi-big name in the ring he was forced to move up where his advantages are less dramatic and where he has a much better chance of losing.

I happen to think that Williams' style is perfect for Pavlik. Williams is easy to hit for a tall guy like Pavlik who throws hard straight punches. And Williams would make far less fighting Pavlik than for fighting either Cotto or Floyd. The fact that Williams isn't able to get a shot at one of the big name wws is totally disgraceful - a real black eye for boxing.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 28 2009, 01:06 PM) *
So you don't think any less of the names at 147 for ducking (choosing not to fight) the most formidable ww out there right now? Because Paul didn't "relinquish his crown for bigger and better things", he never had anything to relinquish because Marg was the only big name ww with balls big enough to fight him. Williams left because Floyd and Cotto ducked him, and in order to get any semi-big name in the ring he was forced to move up where his advantages are less dramatic and where he has a much better chance of losing.

I happen to think that Williams' style is perfect for Pavlik. Williams is easy to hit for a tall guy like Pavlik who throws hard straight punches. And Williams would make far less fighting Pavlik than for fighting either Cotto or Floyd. The fact that Williams isn't able to get a shot at one of the big name wws is totally disgraceful - a real black eye for boxing.

Of course Williams would make far less and that's the point. Floyd ducked Williams or whoever else for about 50 million and even now he would be ducking Williams for far more than he would get for fighting him. Floyd will make more fighting Marquez, Pacquiao, Mosley or Cotto and even Spinks at this point than for fighting Williams believe it or not. Shouldn't Floyd be allowed to come out of retirement before he has to face Williams? Mosley wants no part of him, Cotto wants no part of him, Pacquiao wants no part so obviously this is being thrown at a man who's currently retired.
salvador
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Apr 28 2009, 05:34 PM) *
Of course Williams would make far less and that's the point. Floyd ducked Williams or whoever else for about 50 million and even now he would be ducking Williams for far more than he would get for fighting him. Floyd will make more fighting Marquez, Pacquiao, Mosley or Cotto and even Spinks at this point than for fighting Williams believe it or not. Shouldn't Floyd be allowed to come out of retirement before he has to face Williams? Mosley wants no part of him, Cotto wants no part of him, Pacquiao wants no part so obviously this is being thrown at a man who's currently retired.

There's no way on earth Floyd would make more by fighting Spinks or Marquez and, given the fact that Williams would take the very short end of the stick in a fight with Floyd, I seriously doubt Floyd would make more fighting Mosley. And given that Pacquiao would have to be considered to be the guy taking the biggest risk and would therefore require at least a 50-50 split, I'm not even sure that Floyd would make more fighting Pacquiao.

If Floyd fought Williams, HBO would go to the end of the earth to sell the fight and the entire boxing media would go along with it.

And of course Floyd should be given a pass for taking a tune up fight before Williams, but the thing is that he's never going to fight Williams - EVER - because Floyd can't win the fight and he knows it. And the minute that Floyd says that Williams is too much for him, I'll let it go. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of watching Floyd prancing around talking about how he's p4p (and he'll cry and dance when he beats that Philipino featherweight to a pulp).
STEVENSKI
There is some serious nuthugging of Williams. He is not superman & he is not invincible as previously displayed.

He is a rangy well oiled boxing machine who is suceptable to taking straight punches & if he gets hit by a good puncher at 154 or 160 he will be hurt & quite badly seeing his reaction to taking a flush one at 147 from a mediocre puncher.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.