Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather Vs Spinks
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
D-MARV
Last week, Dan Rafael of ESPN.com reported that retired pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. met with world-renowned promoter Don King in Florida to discuss the possibility of working together. "Floyd is here in Florida. He came to see me," King proclaimed. "I love Floyd. I think Floyd is the only marquee name out here now. We'll see what happens." Although details of the meeting were not revealed, FightHype.com has learned that Mayweather is seriously considering the possibility of teaming up with King for a possible July 18th return against Cory Spinks

What do you guys think about this fight?

Discuss...
Box in Hand
Spinks hasn't been the same since Judah knocked him out. Floyd is gonna massacre this dude and take that new shiny IBF strap in the process.
D-MARV
I know Floyd is the favorite, but I just want to know if this is a good tune up?
JD
Smart fight.

Spinks legs look like they are going, and he is not nearly as elusive...so I think Floyd would be able to do his thing in there. Plus they can likely get Spinks to take the fight for a song, though if it ends up on PPV, I am not so sure it does the kind of numbers Floyd is hoping for.

All that said, I think this is a bit of posturing to get Marquez to bite and come off his weight mandates.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 10:20 AM) *
I know Floyd is the favorite, but I just want to know if this is a good tune up?

No I don't think so. What is Spinks gonna help Floyd with? Spinks is a dead fish who will only get knocked out.
D-MARV
Definitely not a PPV fight.
EpTXCHAMP
this will make alot of paper if they do it in STL for sure sell out. I hope they do this on HBO.

as for the fight spinks looked alright on fri but aint the same spinks that fought judah I'd go with floyd by tko in the 11th.

side note not sure if floyds first fight back would be at 154? im thinking this might be at a catch weight
Al Hata

I agree it's a smart fight for Floyd. Spinks is starting to show his age and he can't hit for shit. A younger Spinks could cause Floyd some problems, but at 154 or 147 I got Floyd by beat down.
D-MARV
IS this a better fight for Floyd than Juan MAnuel Maquez?
Box in Hand
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 11:57 AM) *
IS this a better fight for Floyd than Juan MAnuel Maquez?

JMM is a bigger name and could bring more money from the latino crowd however Floyd doesn't get respect for beating up a way smaller out gunned guy. Spinks at least has a title and a small name.
dbdbdb
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 27 2009, 12:23 PM) *
All that said, I think this is a bit of posturing to get Marquez to bite and come off his weight mandates.

Posturing for sure ..... Floyd is working the media again.

Floyd & Don King is instant news and Floyd knows it. What impact it will have on any negotiations with JMM remains to be seen. But JMM would be totally crazy to face Floyd at 147lbs.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 27 2009, 11:23 AM) *

I agree with this as well. Spinks as a tune up makes some sense I suppose, but I don't really see why Floyd would come back at 154 (assuming he wanted Spinks' title) when the marquee fights are all below that.

I also don't think Floyd needs Don King at this stage of his career. What big fights can King facilitate for him? Mayorga? Trinidad? It doesn't make sense to me.

You can tell how badly King wants it though. Post fight with Spinks was the most animated I've seen the Don in years.
D-MARV
It would be nice for Floyd to pick up the title from Spinks and unify with PWill... LOL
Sugar Q
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 03:33 PM) *
It would be nice for Floyd to pick up the title from Spinks and unify with PWill... LOL

I said it before. The only way a PBF/Williams fight makes sense is if PBF made a legitimate move to 154. If the Spinks fight comes off the Williams fight makes sense.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ Apr 27 2009, 01:23 PM) *
But JMM would be totally crazy to face Floyd at 147lbs.

True. However, if he didn't want to face Floyd @ his weight then why did he call him out?

Marquez needs Floyd WAY more than Floyd needs Marquez.

If JMM really wants the fight then he should go to 147 and make it happen - OR - keep Floyd's name out of his mouth...
Fitz
I would prefer this over a Marquez fight.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 27 2009, 06:47 PM) *
I would prefer this over a Marquez fight.

Same here. I am just curious what weight(s) he plans on fighting at. Not a fan of his, but he is an awesome fighter and I hope he sticks around a while and goes after PW, Mosley, or Chavez?
thehype
I can guarantee that this isn't just posturing...Floyd is DEFINITELY considering it. What it boils down to is money and if King can guarantee him the type of money that he's looking for, he'll take it! I know...it blows my mind as well...I have no clue how King does it, but if the man can still guarantee Felix Trinidad 15 million, then surely he can do the same for Floyd.
JD
I gotta believe that DK is going to want at least one option to guarantee him the money he is looking for to fight Spinks.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 11:46 AM) *
Definitely not a PPV fight.

Not a PPV fight??Mayweather ONLY fights on PPV..Whoever he fights next ya better be willing to cough up 50+ bucks to see Floyd fight..Spinks is a worse choice than Marquez..Marquez is able to fight elite fighters still..Spinks has faded a lot and somehow Don King thinks that Spinks could beat him after watching his last fight..Don just wants it to happen so he can get rights to Floyd then he can bankrupt him(might not be such a bad thing either) in some kind of law suit..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 02:33 PM) *

We can only wish but the punishers name will probably never be spoken out of Floyds mouth..
EpTXCHAMP
if floyd ever fights pwill it wont be a pound over 147.

as for marquez he either steps up to floyds demands or shuts up he called floyd out not the other way around.

if they do this in st.lou it will put a nice amount in floyds pocket and see him taking this fight over marq if marq doesnt agree to floyds weight demand
King Eugene
QUOTE (Big Slim @ Apr 27 2009, 03:21 PM) *
I agree with this as well. Spinks as a tune up makes some sense I suppose, but I don't really see why Floyd would come back at 154 (assuming he wanted Spinks' title) when the marquee fights are all below that.

He might be secretly trying to set up a future fight with PWill at 154. thumbsup_anim.gif
torvix2000
Fine with me. I'd just have to put Floyd at around #15 P4P.
Douchebag
Marquez should just Make the Morales fight happen. Easy payday win for him and floyd can do what ever he wants.
Douchebag
Marquez should just Make the Morales fight happen. Easy payday win for him and floyd can do what ever he wants.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 27 2009, 08:09 PM) *
Not a PPV fight??Mayweather ONLY fights on PPV..Whoever he fights next ya better be willing to cough up 50+ bucks to see Floyd fight..Spinks is a worse choice than Marquez..Marquez is able to fight elite fighters still..Spinks has faded a lot and somehow Don King thinks that Spinks could beat him after watching his last fight..Don just wants it to happen so he can get rights to Floyd then he can bankrupt him(might not be such a bad thing either) in some kind of law suit..

I know it will be on PPV... Im just saying the fight itself is not PPV worthy.
JD
In the end, Floyd will fight Marquez.
D-MARV
We will see, I don't deny it.
kingknockout
spinks is just green......that's easssssssy money for floyd......this fight is more a walk in the park than the marquez fight.

spinks chin is suspect and he gasses out early, he trys to throw bombs and picks his shots poorly, floyd is way too skilled for the young boy..lol awww man
Douchebag
Spinx..................Green?
D-MARV
I guess we can close this thread... shiftyeyes_anim.gif

kingknockout
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 27 2009, 09:42 PM) *
Spinx..................Green?

u don't know what i mean do you? lol
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Apr 27 2009, 08:08 PM) *
I know it will be on PPV... Im just saying the fight itself is not PPV worthy.

My whole post was me just joking around.

If Floyd fought the lowest ranked guy at WW,it'd be PPV even though we would only know Floyd..
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 27 2009, 11:49 PM) *
My whole post was me just joking around.

If Floyd fought the lowest ranked guy at WW,it'd be PPV even though we would only know Floyd..

I'm a big fan of Floyd's but if he was just fighting a bum I would not pay to see it. I'd rather go to a bar and see it
The only fighter I would pay to see fight a bum is Roy and thats just because I would want to see Roy fight period. Call it nutthunging if you want...I call it ball dangling. LMAO
Douchebag
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Apr 27 2009, 11:00 PM) *
u don't know what i mean do you? lol

No, I don't. Especially if you're talking about Cory Spinx. The Cory Spinx that is that is a two time world champ and hardly ever throws power punches because he hits like a girl. Not to mention that he has never shown stamina issues. You're right I don't know what the fuck you're talking about and neither do a lot of the other posters.....
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 28 2009, 04:37 AM) *
No, I don't. Especially if you're talking about Cory Spinx. The Cory Spinx that is that is a two time world champ and hardly ever throws power punches because he hits like a girl. Not to mention that he has never shown stamina issues. You're right I don't know what the fuck you're talking about and neither do a lot of the other posters.....

very well put conscience...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (3King3 @ Apr 28 2009, 12:19 AM) *
Call it nutthunging if you want...I call it ball dangling. LMAO

HAHAHA..Atleast you know it..Most of my friends that don't watch say Roy is their favorite after I show them a fight of his..
BigG
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 28 2009, 08:37 PM) *
HAHAHA..Atleast you know it..Most of my friends that don't watch say Roy is their favorite after I show them a fight of his..

Same here the Roy Jones vs. Richard Hall fight turned some friends into fans of his lol....
kingknockout
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Apr 28 2009, 05:37 AM) *

i never said his punches were that powerful, i said HE TRYS TO THROW BOMBS if you would have read correct instead of coming off as an emotional little girl. i know spinks doesn't have power, and what the fuck you mean he has never shown stamina issues? did you not see his last fight against latimore? he damn sure looked tired to me my guy.

spinks is green..which means he's easy money for floyd mayweather, alot of these cats is "green" when it comes to floyd mayweather.....

lol it's funny ya know...with all the hate floyd gets on here, i recall me hearing him say that one night on ESPN...about the "green" thing.....cus the interviewer asked him about a possible fight with miguel Cotto and floyd said he was "too green" loll, i just had to laugh, and then i thought back at that gotti fight were mayweather straight demolished gotti, and they went to a cut scene to show cotto, and the look on his face was priceless.

now you and your buddy up there can get the picture im staring at
neophyte7
please consider that Cory Spinks faced Jermain Taylor at 160 and in my eyes almost pulled it off... a draw to me, so against PBF he would be motivated to be the best he can be in what I see and always said would be a good action fight because PBF would engage the seemingly featherfister Spinks.. ASSHOLES.. SPINKS REGARDLES TO YOUr CRITICISMS I BELIEVE IS A THREE TIME CHAMP... HE is no slouch ansd I would rather see this than Marquez get his fucking head beat in-- he is too small and will get stopped.. Spinks Mayweather is good shit
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Cory Spinks is a three time world champion, went over to Italy and beat their champ, beat Mayorga when he was hot, beat Roman Karmazin, Zab Judah, and many thought he pulled it off against Jermain Taylor. The Next Generation Spinx Jinx has always been a solid fighter, and is ready to fight anybody after Friday night. He doesn't have stamina issues, he won the 11th and 12th rounds against a younger opponent just the other night. Mayweather won't bring a ton of pressure either, so Spinks will be able to use that lateral movement. That combined with his long jab WILL give Mayweather problems. Mayweather had problems with Judah in the first 4 rounds. Judah used movement and countered with quick shots. Spinks will be able to do the same thing, except he'll also stick a nice jab in Mayweather's face. Also, Mayweather is coming off a 1.5 year layoff. I don't think we'll see the same Mayweather we saw in 06 and 07. He'll have ring rust, and Cory will take advantage of this in the early rounds. Spinks' style will always give Mayweather problems, and this fight should have been made back in 04 after he beat Judah. There's my case for The Next Generation, Cory Spinks.
Lil-lightsout
After what I saw on Friday night, Floyd would beat Cory for sure. But Corey has an effective style who could make it competative, but he needs to be much sharper next time if he wants to hang.
kingknockout
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 29 2009, 12:49 AM) *
After what I saw on Friday night, Floyd would beat Cory for sure. But Corey has an effective style who could make it competative, but he needs to be much sharper next time if he wants to hang.

these dickriders don't want to realize that statement you made, they keep screamin three time champion, oh okay...well YOUR three time champion is gonna get his ass handled if he steps in that ring with floyd mayweather.

i can open up a paypal and place bets if you all are man enough to, i know what im talking about, and you'll know what im talking about to after floyd wins that fight with the referee holding his arms up as the Victor.

and home boy up there is biased as hell LMFAO, he got cory spinks number one on his fantasy boxing thing LOL, and he got spink in his name. Cory looked like shit in his last fight, and mayweather ain't taking no fight he think's that hes gonna lose.

kingknockout
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 28 2009, 10:13 PM) *
please consider that Cory Spinks faced Jermain Taylor at 160 and in my eyes almost pulled it off... a draw to me, so against PBF he would be motivated to be the best he can be in what I see and always said would be a good action fight because PBF would engage the seemingly featherfister Spinks.. ASSHOLES.. SPINKS REGARDLES TO YOUr CRITICISMS I BELIEVE IS A THREE TIME CHAMP... HE is no slouch ansd I would rather see this than Marquez get his fucking head beat in-- he is too small and will get stopped.. Spinks Mayweather is good shit

spinks is gonna get stopped as well LOL so whats your fuckin point?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I never said i wasn't biased. He didn't look bad, he came back after the first couple rounds and beat a young fighter in a good scrap. Styles make fights, and Spinks' style will give Mayweather problems. That part of it isn't bisaed. I know people like to hate on Cory, but he's still a champ. Cory Spinks WONT get beat up against Mayweather, and Mayweather will be rusty in there. All the Mayweather fans won't be happy if this fight takes place, there won't be no Mayweather-Pacquiao. I won't hide my bias, but the part that isn't biased is Mayweather will be rusty and Cory's style will give him problems. I really hope they make this fight, but I guarantee Mayweather won't fight him.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Apr 28 2009, 11:30 PM) *
Cory Spinks is a three time world champion, went over to Italy and beat their champ, beat Mayorga when he was hot,

I thought the Mayorga win was a gift....
EpTXCHAMP
spinks vs mayweather would be more competitive than mayweather vs marquez PERIOD!

thats all Im saying. I wouldnt favor spinks but at least he has size marq will get broken down physically
Snoop
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Apr 28 2009, 11:31 PM) *
spinks is green..which means he's easy money for floyd mayweather, alot of these cats is "green" when it comes to floyd mayweather.....

I've always assocaited the term "green" as referring to a fighter as being inexperienced and/or new to the game i.e. greenhorn (which Spinks most certainly is not), not how much money he could make for another fighter. But hey, that could be just me.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Apr 29 2009, 07:19 PM) *
spinks vs mayweather would be more competitive than mayweather vs marquez PERIOD!

thats all Im saying. I wouldnt favor spinks but at least he has size marq will get broken down physically

i feel what you saying but my opinion is spinks was there for the taken this past weekend... latimmore was a tad bit too green to take advantage of the situation... a fighter like mayweather would overwhelm him... spinks has size but he has so many holes now its not funny.. he has had bad management cuzz he wasa very talented fighter at his best... he could make good fights with good solid fighters but mayweather is not a good solid fighter.. he is a great... he would overwhelm spinks.. too bad they didnt make that fight a few years ago.. it was briefly negotiated but fell apart...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.