Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins wants Froch
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=19687

I'm with the writer of the article on some of his...why not Dawson but Calzaghe didn't make Hopkins look old though. He must know as well Dawson will have a higher chance in defeating him.

Is it just me or is Hopkins going after all the guys that has beat Taylor just to be able to say he really could have beat Taylor? IDK dntknw.gif just an assumption. Hopkins is still my dude though!
JonnyBlaze
Of course Hopkins wants to fight him..It's an easy fight..Hopkins saw what I saw with Froch's jab and he's expose that in the ring..Froch's jab would disappear after being countered off it so many times..Hopkins always wants to fight guys that he sees something that he can expose,like if a guy is one-dimensional or has a flaw in his defense..I know Hopkins thinks a win over him will show he is better than Taylor too..I think Hopkins needs to stay focused with the Adamek fight..It'll do more for him in terms of his legacy than a fight with Froch..I wish he'd step up and fight Dawson after Dawson fights Tarver again..B-Hop is the man either way..
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 1 2009, 02:17 AM) *
Of course Hopkins wants to fight him..It's an easy fight..Hopkins saw what I saw with Froch's jab and he's expose that in the ring..Froch's jab would disappear after being countered off it so many times..Hopkins always wants to fight guys that he sees something that he can expose,like if a guy is one-dimensional or has a flaw in his defense..I know Hopkins thinks a win over him will show he is better than Taylor too..I think Hopkins needs to stay focused with the Adamek fight..It'll do more for him in terms of his legacy than a fight with Froch..I wish he'd step up and fight Dawson after Dawson fights Tarver again..B-Hop is the man either way..

I agree with you Johnny but it looks like Adamek is fighting Matt Godfrey his next match. Dawson wants to move down to 168 for a big fight. Hell things could get pretty interesting this year and next.

Hopkins will probably force a corner stoppage on Froch.
Method
Hopkins wants to get P-A-I-D to fight Dawson, and I believe the offers are light.
STEVENSKI
Hopkins is a ATG fighter & I have always liked & respected him (except after his behaviour post Taylor) but someone needs to beat his ass brutally & methodically & put him in hospital for a good couple of weeks to get him to retire.

Lil-lightsout
Almost every boxing fan or expert knows Hopkins will beat Froch after what was seen on Saturday, it would give Bernard another belt, beating an undefeated fighter, and another nice payday. But if he really wants to add to his legacy IMO(his legacy is already amazing by the way), he should go after Dawson right after the Tarver fight.(as long as Dawson wins). Hopkins should take a chance with Dawson for a few reasons.

He could stay in the light heavyweight division, where he looked very strong. Dawson has been hurt before and down, no doubt Bernard could do the same. This fight Hopkins would probably be the underdog, and would give him great motivation to prove people wrong again. I would like to see him retire, so I would rather him fight the best going out, not Froch. I think it would be a fantastic fight to watch the skillls on display between these two fighters. Froch-Hopkins would resemble Pavlik-Hopkins, except Froch would give a little more effort.
salvador
QUOTE (Method @ May 1 2009, 04:48 AM) *
Hopkins wants to get P-A-I-D to fight Dawson, and I believe the offers are light.

Hopkins, at 44, has no interest in Dawson because of Dawson's workrate.

Unless Froch is suddenly some giant deal in England, it's hard for me to imagine that Hopkins makes any more money fighting Froch - though it is a much much easier fight for him.
The CEO
Hopkins may be calling out Froch just to do it....but Froch has already SERIOUSLY called out Kessler....saying he'll fight him in Denmark. (source: boxingscene)

and I that would be a pick 'em just like the Taylor fight was....and to go one further....I think Froch can outheart Kessler in his own country and knock his ass out too...
ROLL DEEP
Look, I love B-Hop and all and he is truly one of the modern greats.

But he should either:

a) say he's done with championship boxing and just wants to fit in a few 10 rounders before he retires

cool.gif retire

or c) fight a light-heavyweight champion.

He moved to light-heavyweight a bunch of years ago and has since only fought ONE light-heavyweight...Antonio Tarver. I, not for one minute, recognise Hop as a light-heavyweight champion because I'm old school and don't go with this 'Ring Magazine', 'Official Unofficial', 'People's Champion' stuff. He may have been the linear no.1 (tenuously) but he was never an official light-heavyweight champion.

And he's never fought properly at light-heavy since, either. Wright was a middleweight, Calzaghe a super-middle and Pavlik a middleweight. If Hops is gonna pretend he's still a championship level 175 lb'er, he should go after Dawson, or at least Glen Johnson in order to GET a fight with Dawson.

I would love nothing more than for Hopkins to win Dawson's belt, perhaps unify the other two belts (although they are held by scrubs) and then KO Joe' f'cking Calzaghe in a return match.

But that's not gonna happen. Instead Hops will go after the Trinidad's, Froch's and even someone like Arthur Abraham, and I don't know why because Hops himself is scared of NO-ONE.

Black
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ May 1 2009, 08:42 AM) *
Look, I love B-Hop and all and he is truly one of the modern greats.

But he should either:

a) say he's done with championship boxing and just wants to fit in a few 10 rounders before he retires

cool.gif retire

or c) fight a light-heavyweight champion.

He moved to light-heavyweight a bunch of years ago and has since only fought ONE light-heavyweight...Antonio Tarver. I, not for one minute, recognise Hop as a light-heavyweight champion because I'm old school and don't go with this 'Ring Magazine', 'Official Unofficial', 'People's Champion' stuff. He may have been the linear no.1 (tenuously) but he was never an official light-heavyweight champion.

And he's never fought properly at light-heavy since, either. Wright was a middleweight, Calzaghe a super-middle and Pavlik a middleweight. If Hops is gonna pretend he's still a championship level 175 lb'er, he should go after Dawson, or at least Glen Johnson in order to GET a fight with Dawson.

I would love nothing more than for Hopkins to win Dawson's belt, perhaps unify the other two belts (although they are held by scrubs) and then KO Joe' f'cking Calzaghe in a return match.

But that's not gonna happen. Instead Hops will go after the Trinidad's, Froch's and even someone like Arthur Abraham, and I don't know why because Hops himself is scared of NO-ONE.

Black

Whoops, my bro was signed in on his name....D'OH...this was Blackbelt 2003

Black
Douchebag
QUOTE (Method @ May 1 2009, 05:48 AM) *

I would want to get paid to if I thought that there was a good chance of me losing.
Box in Hand
I think Hopkis does want to beat all the guys that beat Taylor. He is still a little bitter about those two losses and beating the second guy to knock Taylor out would be sweet revenge. Hopkins always felt Dibella got the judges to vote in favor of Taylor so he would be rubbing the win in Dibella's face as well. Hopkins would murder Froch who's only hope would be to outwork Hopkins which won't happen because Froch's defense is disgusting and he would probably get a Trinidad type beating.
Method
QUOTE (salvador @ May 1 2009, 08:48 AM) *
Hopkins, at 44, has no interest in Dawson because of Dawson's workrate.

I believe he would fight Dawson, but he knows its a fight that people want, so he wants to get paid like it. I am not disputing what you wrote here, nor am I taking exception to what Conscience wrote. All I am saying is he seems to indicate that he knows the masses and the netwroks want the Dawson fight, so he wants to get paid accordingly.

Given the level of trouble Glen Johnson gave Dawson, I don't think Hopkins would struggle too hard w Chad. Hopkins can give southpaws FITS, and whatever Chads work rate has been traditionally, I have no doubt that Bernard would be able to shut that down. Then all you have to do is tap that 'suspect chin nigga'. Seriously, I could see a scenerio where Hopkins takes Chad into deep waters and then rolls him...its kinda like what Glenn Johnson did, only Glenn couldnt drown him, because Glenn can barely swim his damn self. On the other hand, if Hopkins played it too cute defensively in the first half of the fight, he could also run out of time down the stretch (ala Taylor I - even though I thought Ex got jobbed).
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Method @ May 1 2009, 10:31 AM) *
I believe he would fight Dawson, but he knows its a fight that people want, so he wants to get paid like it. I am not disputing what you wrote here, nor am I taking exception to what Conscience wrote. All I am saying is he seems to indicate that he knows the masses and the netwroks want the Dawson fight, so he wants to get paid accordingly.

Given the level of trouble Glen Johnson gave Dawson, I don't think Hopkins would struggle too hard w Chad. Hopkins can give southpaws FITS, and whatever Chads work rate has been traditionally, I have no doubt that Bernard would be able to shut that down. Then all you have to do is tap that 'suspect chin nigga'. Seriously, I could see a scenerio where Hopkins takes Chad into deep waters and then rolls him...its kinda like what Glenn Johnson did, only Glenn couldnt drown him, because Glenn can barely swim his damn self. On the other hand, if Hopkins played it too cute defensively in the first half of the fight, he could also run out of time down the stretch (ala Taylor I - even though I thought Ex got jobbed).

I agree with most of this. I do think Hops should definately get PAID too. The dude always comes to fights in shape, fought everybody and never ducked anyone. He never to me seemed to get the recognition he was due for years that other fighters got until later in his career. He took the hard road up, he did not get the special treatment that most of the Olympians got.
JLUVBABY
most may not agree with me when i say this but I believe that if hopkins is gonna fight he needs to make the fights that people want to see... o.k... he's 44 or whatever.. if he plans to be in the ring he shouldnt cheat the public and fight guys he knows he can beat or allow fights with the likes of adamek fall through cuzz he is asking for too much money etc... if he moves up to fight adamek, adamek is champ why should hopkins get more?... hopkins is not a ppv type of fighter... as good or great as he is he doesnt bring in ppv buys... neither does adamek but the point is as long as he's fighting he needs to fight the best.. now it appears he is calling out froch.. hopkins is a light heavyweight and the only fight that matters, in my opinion, is a fight with chad dawson... if as some say he's not fighting dawson because of risk versus reward then we know he is no longer the best... i am a fan of hopkins just stating the facts here... he needs to make real fights or he will become part of whats wrong with the sport and why boxing has in a lot of ways become a back alley sport..
salvador
QUOTE (Method @ May 1 2009, 09:31 AM) *
Given the level of trouble Glen Johnson gave Dawson, I don't think Hopkins would struggle too hard w Chad. Hopkins can give southpaws FITS, and whatever Chads work rate has been traditionally, I have no doubt that Bernard would be able to shut that down.

On the other hand, if Hopkins played it too cute defensively in the first half of the fight, he could also run out of time down the stretch (ala Taylor I - even though I thought Ex got jobbed).

The reason Johnson gave Dawson so much trouble was that Johnson threw so many punches - something Dawson wasn't used to having to deal with. Hopkins is too old for that kind of output even if that was his natural style, which it obviously isn't. I have no doubt that Hopkins' short right counters would affect Dawson more than any other punch he's faced so far in his career, but Dawson throws combinations and I think he'd be able to throw combinations even as he's being countered - because he's only going to be countered with one shot at a time.

As far as Hopkins running out of time down the stretch, it's really hard for me to see it any other way unless Hopkins got the unexpected ko.

We agree on Hopkins getting jobbed in the first Taylor fight.

Future_Champ
I dont know why everbody says fighting Froch wouldnt do anything for B-Hops legacy. Every good fighter Bernard beats past the age of 40 greatens his legacy. Froch just had a good win but B-Hop knows he would beat that ass easy so he wants to fight him. Plus he will get paid to do it. Do you know how easy Hopkins is gonna land his lead right on Froch with Carl holding his gloves down and having slow reflexes? Easy fight for a fighter thats already a top ten all time pound for pound great.
D-MARV
Dawson beats Hopkins easier than he beat Johnson.
JLUVBABY
only reason hopkins is calling out froch is cuzz 1 froch went down in his fight with taylor and 2 he looks beatable to him... froch needed at least a couple of knockdowns on my card to win going into that 12th round... dont mean to be anti hopkins he is a living legend in the sport but he is calling out guys he knows he can beat now.... no respect in that...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 1 2009, 06:20 PM) *
Dawson beats Hopkins easier than he beat Johnson.

hahahaha,I think you should say someone else over Johnson..Johnson in my opinion beat Dawson..Johnson is able to keep coming and throw a lot of punches at his age..The word easy should not even be in your sentance if you're going to put Johnson's name in there..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 1 2009, 08:10 PM) *
hahahaha,I think you should say someone else over Johnson..Johnson in my opinion beat Dawson..Johnson is able to keep coming and throw a lot of punches at his age..The word easy should not even be in your sentance if you're going to put Johnson's name in there..

i thought johnson beat dawson too.. not thought, johnson did beat dawson he didnt get the decision...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 1 2009, 08:14 PM) *
i thought johnson beat dawson too.. not thought, johnson did beat dawson he didnt get the decision...

Very well put..haha..
D-MARV
LOL... Both you guys are SICK!!!!

It was a close fight that could have gone either way... I scored it 115-113 for Dawson.

Dawson got the nod... Wasn't a bad decision, Dawson beats Hopkins with no doubt.
Big Slim Sweet
I thought Dawson edged Johnson for the legit win myself. But I think Hopkins would knock Chad out late. Tarver may just knock him out next week if Chad isn't careful. That chin is very vulnerable and I suspect Dawson ain't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 2 2009, 12:47 PM) *
I thought Dawson edged Johnson for the legit win myself. But I think Hopkins would knock Chad out late. Tarver may just knock him out next week if Chad isn't careful. That chin is very vulnerable and I suspect Dawson ain't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

You must have been smoking some good drugs. wink.gif

No way is the Milk Dud going to beat Dawson....
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ May 2 2009, 01:19 PM) *
You must have been smoking some good drugs. wink.gif

Very likely.
Method
I dont think Tarver will take Chad, unless he completely blew off training and didnt take him seriously the first time, which I doubt.

I had Johnson winning the first time around, but he sure as hell didnt make it as easy on himself as it could have been.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Method @ May 1 2009, 09:31 AM) *

True post Method.

The guy who Hopkins should be most mad about over the 2 Taylor figths is himself. He showed that lazy bastard too much damn respect and he certainly could've/should've knocked that ass out in the first fight.

Of course he's got the tools to beat Dawson but if he starts the fight like either Taylor bout he does run the risk of losing. Boxer/movers are what give Nard the most trouble these days and Dawson is certainly one of those., but if he jumps on him like he did Pavlik, Chad's in for a painful night.
Method
Look, I love me some Ex, but as long as Ex has his time frame out there, he is putting himself at a DISTINCT marketing disadvantage, and I am surprised num fucking nuts Kelly Swanson or Golden Boy or whoever doesn't put that shit in the fucking top drawer next to Trinidad's left hook. As long as everybody else knows he has a deadline, nobody is gonna rush to help make it easy for him. Its a terrible marketing ploy. What's more, You cant go calling out guys and then offering them mid to low six figure purses. Oscar is your partner, but YOU ARE NOT OSCAR. Granted, A split between Hops and The Cruiser should be on the 70-30 or 60-40 range, and same goes for Froch. But these guys DO NOT NEED Hops, nor does Hops NEED them, but as long as he wants another fight, he DOES need them for THAT caliber a fight....If HBO only wants to throw $4,000,000 at the fight, you cant take 3.5 and give the guy $500K. That AIN't 60/40 or 70/30. That's someone telling you the fight ain't worth all that much to us, and Hops saying, "OK, then I want all the loot".

...NOW, if you want him to fight the Chad Dawsons, etc, then people SHOULD pay the fuck up for that kinda fight, and, Hops should STILL get a 60-40 or 70-30 type of split (OK, maybe MOST 65-35).

Hopkins, IMO, REALLY fucked himself, as soon as he gave an ultimatum on the timeline of his career. As soon as he defined the ending horizon (which was by the end of the year he was to fight Taylor), it made it THAT MUCH EASIER for the powers that be to shaft him. SO much easier to then let the apparent next best thing make their name off of the guy that is retiring anyway.

And to ANY and ALL who think he really made a promise to his mother - Let me tell you something, that is the BIGGEST crock of shit, and the SECOND WORST marketing tactic Bernard used. Never happened. COMPLETELY made up to emphasize that ultimatum timeline to try and land the big fights.

Bernard is one of my favorite fighters, but this is calling a spade a spade.
STEVENSKI
To be honest I am not a fan of Hopkins calling out the smaller fighters. If he wants to campaign at 175 then he should be fighting the guys in that division not asking guys from 160 & 68 to come up & fight him.

BTW that is the best Meth post in a long time on Hopkins.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.