Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Love My New HD TV!!!
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Jack 1000
Hey All,

I finally marched into this generation and got an HD set!!! (40" Samsung) LOVE IT! A question for you guys is, do they ever do Showtime Shobox or HBO B.A.D in HD? A recent Shobox that I taped was not in HD. Why can't HBO/Showtime be in HD all the time?

What I hate so much are the Black Bars on SD broadcasts! I have my cable box set to "Stretch Mode" because I want to see as much of the picture as possible.

Jack
Spyder
I'm pretty sure most BAD is in HD, although I'm not sure about ShoBox.

The reason why everything is not in HD is simple...money. It costs more money to rent HD trucks and HD cameras than it does SD. Not to mention some of the smaller markets that host fights simply might not even have an HD truck available...so HBO/Showtime would have to pay for a truck to travel on top of what they are already paying for equipment useage.

Anyway...congrats on joining the digital age!
The CEO
HD is awesome....one of life's underrated pleasures...it never gets old...and you never wanna go back to SD again.....and yes....ShoBox is shown in it too....
Fitz
Nice purchase Jack, I have a Samsung and have been very happy with it. Did you get the lcd?
Snoop
From what I remember. all HBO and Showtime broadcasts are in HD if you order the channel (movies included).
Lil-lightsout
All that stuff is in HD, espn too, all the fights I watch are ALWAYS in HD. Sometimes the replays they play on SD, but they are always originally(live) in HD.

Oh... make sure you have an HD cable box. Just because you have an HD TV, you also need an HD cable box too to view HD. So make sure you upgraded your box. I am pretty knowledgeable about electronics, cables and stuff. Feel free to ask asy questions if you have any.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 3 2009, 12:57 AM) *
All that stuff is in HD, espn too, all the fights I watch are ALWAYS in HD. Sometimes the replays they play on SD, but they are always originally(live) in HD.

Oh... make sure you have an HD cable box. Just because you have an HD TV, you also need an HD cable box too to view HD. So make sure you upgraded your box. I am pretty knowledgeable about electronics, cables and stuff. Feel free to ask asy questions if you have any.

Yea,

Always had an HD box, but the clown who hooked it up just plugged the coax cable (not HD compliant) into the new TV. A relative of mine who is an engineer hooked it up with the proper HDMI cable. (Everyone, you should have HDMI cable for best quality, slightly less quality, but still very good is component cable.) I must have been watching the Shobox replay with regards to that SD issue. Thanks for your help.

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 2 2009, 07:07 PM) *
Nice purchase Jack, I have a Samsung and have been very happy with it. Did you get the lcd?

Yea.

Jack
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 3 2009, 03:18 AM) *
Yea,

Always had an HD box, but the clown who hooked it up just plugged the coax cable (not HD compliant) into the new TV. A relative of mine who is an engineer hooked it up with the proper HDMI cable. (Everyone, you should have HDMI cable for best quality, slightly less quality, but still very good is component cable.) I must have been watching the Shobox replay with regards to that SD issue. Thanks for your help.

Jack

Good to hear that(about having HD box and now proper cable).
Method
Replay or not, as long as you are watching it on an HD version of SHO, then it will be shown in HD. Only time it wouldnt be is when you're watchin SHO 2, SHO 3 etc. SHO HD will always be HD.

One thing that does kind of suck is that PPV is not always (for me NEVER) in HD. The only saving grace is that the replay od PPV's that arent in HD, which HBO shows a week later, are ALWAYS in HD - but again, you have to be watching the HBO HD channel.

Which Samsung did you buy? They just rolled out the new LED displays, whixh I hear are very nice. I just bought my old man the top of the line (or was 6 mos ago) 40" Samsung 900 series LCD.

I just bought a new pad and am either going to get another Pioneer Elite Kuros 60" or the New top of the line 55" Samsung LED tv.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Method @ May 11 2009, 10:00 AM) *
Replay or not, as long as you are watching it on an HD version of SHO, then it will be shown in HD. Only time it wouldnt be is when you're watchin SHO 2, SHO 3 etc. SHO HD will always be HD.

One thing that does kind of suck is that PPV is not always (for me NEVER) in HD. The only saving grace is that the replay od PPV's that arent in HD, which HBO shows a week later, are ALWAYS in HD - but again, you have to be watching the HBO HD channel.

Which Samsung did you buy? They just rolled out the new LED displays, whixh I hear are very nice. I just bought my old man the top of the line (or was 6 mos ago) 40" Samsung 900 series LCD.

I just bought a new pad and am either going to get another Pioneer Elite Kuros 60" or the New top of the line 55" Samsung LED tv.

Method,

I don't have a really huge living room, so I have the 40" Plasma LN-40B550. It's an LCD screen I have HDMI cable connected to it. Time Warner Cable DVR (box type SA-8300 HD) with the Mystro Navigator Program Guide. We have a separate PPV channel for HD events. (About 50 HD channels.) Maybe it was something with the cable or signal when my Shobox HD was not in HD. A relative of mine who is an computer/electronics engineer helped set it up. He also has almost the same Samsung TV that I do, except his screen is the 46" model. I am trying to get cable in our area to have even more HD channels, especially the bonus HBO and Showtime extra channels that for us are only in SD. TWC adds about 3 new HD stations every 1-3 months it seems.

Jack
Method
Cool. Enjoy.
Jack 1000
Yea,

Last nights LIVE Shobox was not in HD on the Showtime HD channel. (I DVR'd the live call.) All the other regular Showtime boxing is in HD in my area, and it comes in as such but this is the second time that Shobox was not. I think it was JD, not sure, who said that sometimes replays of HBO PPV's or B.A.D telecasts were not in HD. The Pacquiao-Hatton fight replay for me last week was in HD on the HBO HD channel.

Jack
JD
HBO WCB - in HD
HBO BAD - in HD
HBO PPV - in HD
Showtime CB - in HD
Showtime Shobox - not in HD

That is how Cablevision has it. I think only Shobox is not broadcast in HD.
D-MARV
My girlfriend just bought me a 42" Samsung LCD HDTV. I move in to my new place on Friday so I'm saving it until then. I can't wait.

ALSO... I want to start collecting some more art work... anyone know where I can purchase some "FRAMED" boxing art or photos? I want to hang them up in my living room.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (JD @ May 17 2009, 04:19 PM) *
HBO WCB - in HD
HBO BAD - in HD
HBO PPV - in HD
Showtime CB - in HD
Showtime Shobox - not in HD

That is how Cablevision has it. I think only Shobox is not broadcast in HD.

That's exactly how mine is with TWC, JD.

Jack
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 17 2009, 09:24 PM) *
My girlfriend just bought me a 42" Samsung LCD HDTV. I move in to my new place on Friday so I'm saving it until then. I can't wait.

ALSO... I want to start collecting some more art work... anyone know where I can purchase some "FRAMED" boxing art or photos? I want to hang them up in my living room.

Sounds like a sweet girlfriend you got there.

Have you could googled "Paul Williams framed boxing photos"??? Kidding.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 18 2009, 12:29 AM) *
Sounds like a sweet girlfriend you got there.

Have you could googled "Paul Williams framed boxing photos"??? Kidding.

If I can find one then it's a done deal... I want one of each of my top 10! I already have tons of Ali photos.

hitman harding
I bought a 42" panasonic tv for $649 last month... It was so cheap i also bought a 22" Sony for the master bedroom for $249.
I put the 42"above the fire place with a Cheetah articulate wall bracket .
Everything is so cheap at the moment i can't beleive the deals
Method
Its cheap because there's better technology out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.