Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's Official: MAYWEATHER vs MARQUEZ!!!
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
torvix2000
http://philboxing.com/news/story-24024.html

WTF!!!
D-MARV
Yep.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 2 2009, 07:19 PM) *

Well that's one PPV I won't be buying. I think I might watch paint dry that day. Or better still pay 20 bucks to a couple of guys down at my local pub to have a fight. That should be more interesting.
torvix2000
Huhuhu! I'm gonna watch it, though. Praying Mayweather will get his 0.1% chance of getting his as*s kicked!
BrutalBodyShots
Good to see Mayweather take on the 2nd best fighter in the world... but why not the concensus first? Pacquiao's speed would make a fight against Mayweather much more competitive than I feel Marquez will be against Mayweather. I'm sure Marquez will look really good for the first few rounds while Mayweather shakes off the rust, but after that I'd completely expect Mayweather speed and accuracy to take over and dictate the fight.
kidbazooka1
Hell yeah Marquez is gonna shock the muthaf*cking world just waite and see.

Naw seriously though i think Marquez is gonna put up a better fight than most expect but Floyd will run his way to a decision win.
Box in Hand
Mayweather looks good in the pics like he has definately been in the gym. He also looks like he has already started the mind fuck games. Look at Marquez's jaw, he's clenching them teeth hard.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 2 2009, 08:01 PM) *
Mayweather looks good in the pics like he has definately been in the gym. He also looks like he has already started the mind fuck games. Look at Marquez's jaw, he's clenching them teeth hard.

Floyds trash talk and so called mind games are weak though.
Al Hata

Great news, I love Floyd. I cannot wait for the 24/7 for this one.
Method
Yawn
buford54
Should be a great build up to a boring fight.
Not sure how it will play out though. Floyd usually gives away the first few rounds in order to figure the other guy out.
But so does Marquez.
Floyd is not easy to counter...but Marquez isn't either.
This could be the most boring fight of the year...but I think I'd actually give JMM as good a shot at beating Floyd as Pacquiao would have.
I could see it where neither guy actually commits to a punch for about 4 rounds.

Screw it. Here's my early prediction:
PBF gets a SD in a fight that everyone thinks JMM actually won.
And not a close SD...it will be 117-111 twice and then 115-113. JMM will win early, and Floyd will dominate late...but most informed observers will know that JMM won more rounds.

Ultimately, because the mainstream doesn't know who JMM is, it will be quickly forgotten that he won the fight (like it was with Jose Luis Castillo in his first fight with Floyd).

However, kudos to Floyd for taking a credible opponent in his first fight back.
Beats the hell out of him "returning" to fight the winner of tonight's fight (though we all know his JMM fight is just a build up to do just that).

STEVENSKI
Have I ever said how I wish PBF was in a wheelchair with his kisd wiping up his drool?

This is what makes me wish it was so. I don't care how it happens weather it is in the ring or he trips getting out of the shower & fractures his spinal column I want that cunt in a chair.
D-MARV
I don't think this is such a bad fight any more. It's going to be at 143 so the weight won't be to drastic especially considering the fact that JMM was planning on moving to 140 anyways.

I actually think JMM will be competitive for a while but still believe Floyd wins.
JaRaNDa
I had to wait and see it to beleive it...unfuckingbelievable!!! Fuck Mayweather who is the biggest P4P coward in the world!!!!
Imperius3
I really don't see this fight as a mismatch.

Marquez is the man who went 12 rounds twice with the beast that is Pacquiao and arguably beat him twice (he definitely beat him twice IMO). Marquez is a genius tactician himself. He will not allow himself to be blown away, I guarantee it. The size difference isn't really that big either.

I like this fight a lot, and I think people should be more optimistic that these two greats are facing each other.
buford54
I agree. We're all aware that Floyd will take all of the advantages (he'll dictate the weight, ring/glove size, etc)...but he could have taken a much easier fight if he wanted.
I give Floyd a lot of credit for this fight.
salvador
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ May 3 2009, 03:57 AM) *
I really don't see this fight as a mismatch.

Marquez is the man who went 12 rounds twice with the beast that is Pacquiao and arguably beat him twice (he definitely beat him twice IMO). Marquez is a genius tactician himself. He will not allow himself to be blown away, I guarantee it. The size difference isn't really that big either.

I like this fight a lot, and I think people should be more optimistic that these two greats are facing each other.

Marquez is 35 and Floyd and Manny are his only shots at one last huge paycheck.

Floyd will no doubt pay him much more than Pacquiao would (probably at least twice as much as he's ever made before). JMM doesn't have time to wait for another megafight with Manny because if that fight ever came, Manny would have ALL the cards at the negotiating table.

Floyd's going to walk right through JMM's combinations and probably look better than he has since the Gatti fight. Marquez, God love him, has no chance. This fight is for his grandchildren's education fund.

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Al Hata @ May 2 2009, 08:44 PM) *
Great news, I love Floyd. I cannot wait for the 24/7 for this one.

I don't think we'll get a 24/7 for a fight that will likely do only around 350,000-400,000 buys. Just a countdown show.

QUOTE (Fitz @ May 3 2009, 01:16 AM) *
If this was going to be a close fight, this fight wouldn't be happening and that's all there is to it.

QUOTE (salvador @ May 3 2009, 09:00 AM) *
Marquez, God love him, has no chance. This fight is for his grandchildren's education fund.

So fucking true. Marquez is a master and he's shown the heart of a lion these past few years but his skills are starting to erode and Floyd knows it. Marquez gets hit A LOT these days. This fight will not be close.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 2 2009, 09:56 PM) *
Have I ever said how I wish PBF was in a wheelchair with his kisd wiping up his drool?

This is what makes me wish it was so. I don't care how it happens weather it is in the ring or he trips getting out of the shower & fractures his spinal column I want that cunt in a chair.

That's that type of disdain that I also have for Floyd Mayweather. But to actually see that happen would be very very bad for boxing when serious life-injuries like that occur. I just want Mayweather to lose in a fight, any fight. Even get robbed on a decision. But actually, getting robbed would still be bad because Floyd wouldn't STFO about it. Just have him get KTFO or lose badly in the ring. It's the trash-talking of his that I can't stand. Any opponent who could shut his mouth would be a blessing for the sport.

It won't be Marquez though, sad to say.

Jack
D-MARV
By the Way... this may come as a shock to many people but I'am pulling for Juan Manuel Marquez.
Imperius3
QUOTE (salvador @ May 3 2009, 09:00 AM) *
Floyd's going to walk right through JMM's combinations and probably look better than he has since the Gatti fight.

nono.gif

I'll happily bet you 10 grand that Marquez does better than Gatti.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ May 4 2009, 01:08 AM) *
nono.gif

However, Floyd has no reservations in doing what is necessary to win. In case pounding Marquez won't work, he'll simply do what Chris John did. Many times better.
Imperius3
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 3 2009, 07:12 PM) *
He can't do much worse, but it will be very one sided and not close.

No way. You should give Marquez more respect than that. I mean Pacquiao has easily disposed of Mayweather's last two opponents, and in much easier fashion than Mayweather did. Now Floyd is stepping in with the guy who gave the Filipino Buzzsaw all sorts of trouble, and some argue that he actually won those fights (including you and me). Marquez might even be more dangerous than Pacquiao. Considering Mayweather's layoff, this fight is kinda risky if you ask me. Marquez is truly an elite fighter, and how many elite fighters have you seen get blown away? Trust me, this fight is not a mismatch. No way.
AussieLad
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 4 2009, 01:12 AM) *
I'm not disrespecting Marquez. I know he is great but he is out of his league (with size and age) and will be too small. Despite the win, he didn't look too strong early at 135 with Diaz. He was hurt pretty bad, was overwhelmed but to his credit he came back strong.
You are now using boxing maths as reasoning as to why it should be close. Because Marquez arguably beat Pacquiao and Pacquiao disposed of the fighters Mayweather beat. I will break it down.

Marquez/Pacquiao - Both guys about the same size, Marquez can hurt Pacquiao and Pacquiao can hurt Marquez. Marquez has skills and counter punching that can match Pacquiao. Pacquiao edges Marquez in strength, power and work rate. Marquez edges Pacquiao in skill and boxing smarts.

Pacquiao/Mayweather - Mayweather is bigger, stronger and a more skilled than Pacquiao no doubt, though Pacquiao makes up for it with work rate, he is possibly quicker. Pacquaio makes up for it in other areas.

Marquez/Mayweather - Mayweather is bigger, stronger and faster and as good as Marquez is a boxer, everything he does Mayweather does better and don't forget he is younger and fresher as well. Please tell me what advantage Marquez has over Mayweather. I am all ears.

At least in other fights, the opponent has something else like Pacquiao has speed over Mayweather, Judah had speed over Mayweather, DLH had size. Tell me what exactly does Marquez do better than Floyd. I asked biggeorge to come up with something, he said "I don't know". Lets see if you can come up with a better answer.

I think Marquez would take a punch better than floyd. Thats about it.
Jack 1000
I think Marquez would take a punch better than floyd. Thats about it.

And the thing about that is, while you are probably right, Floyd's not the type of boxer who is going to want to take a punch. (Castillo I was enough of that for him.) He can stay on the outside, dance and jab and win 8 or more of the 12 rounds. (Gee, what a surprise!) There is no variety with Floyd, there is predictability and often boredom because of the repetition of his style fight after fight after fight. He'll dance and jab his way to a victory, trash and jive talk his way to being the greatest fighter who ever lived, than they will hype up the Pacquaio fight, which Floyd will never take. He's ego is too inflated to allow himself to take risks against big punchers who could hurt him. He deserves more booos than praise for these types of antics.

I also agree that everything that Marquez does, Mayweather does better. And since Marquez can't hurt Floyd, but Floyd can and should showboat and shoeshine Marquez to a clear UD win. Than all we will hear is how "I don't need to fight Pacquiao to prove nothing to nobody! I almost shut out the guy who gave Pacquiao more trouble in two fights than anyone in Manny's career." Watch Mayweather pull out of a Pacquiao fight over a purse dispute. That will be what is given to the press. However, the truth is that Floyd does not fight guys who have a punch to hurt him. Castillo is the last of the really tough fighters that he will face. He can't handle a loss.

The only kudos that I gave to Floyd is that he is at least better to control his temper tantrums than Judah, whom I think is more reprehensible than Mayweather. Floyd did stay cool and composed during the 10th round "riot" in his fight with Judah. I would HOPE that if Floyd loses, he does so with class.

Jack
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ May 3 2009, 08:45 PM) *
No way. You should give Marquez more respect than that. I mean Pacquiao has easily disposed of Mayweather's last two opponents, and in much easier fashion than Mayweather did. Now Floyd is stepping in with the guy who gave the Filipino Buzzsaw all sorts of trouble, and some argue that he actually won those fights (including you and me). Marquez might even be more dangerous than Pacquiao. Considering Mayweather's layoff, this fight is kinda risky if you ask me. Marquez is truly an elite fighter, and how many elite fighters have you seen get blown away? Trust me, this fight is not a mismatch. No way.

I'm glad someone else said it, but I completely agree. It will be an interesting and close fight. Marquez doesnt get near enough credit. He's like a small Hopkins in that he adapts during the fight and kills you toward the finish line. Mayweather hasnt fought a guy in the top 5 p4p since... This guy is right at #2. This will NOT be a blowout.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 3 2009, 11:29 PM) *
I'm glad someone else said it, but I completely agree. It will be an interesting and close fight. Marquez doesnt get near enough credit. He's like a small Hopkins in that he adapts during the fight and kills you toward the finish line. Mayweather hasnt fought a guy in the top 5 p4p since... This guy is right at #2. This will NOT be a blowout.

How does being at #2 P4P help if the other guy is faster, bigger, younger and does everything the #2 P4P guy can but better?
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 3 2009, 09:12 PM) *
Marquez/Mayweather - Mayweather is bigger, stronger and faster and as good as Marquez is a boxer, everything he does Mayweather does better and don't forget he is younger and fresher as well. Please tell me what advantage Marquez has over Mayweather. I am all ears.

Marquez has fought a higher calibur of opponent over the last 5+ years. Not to mention the fact that Marquez went up in weight to get at a few of these guys. Marquez has taken more riskt fights over the last few years. I'd say he's more experienced because of his level of competition lately. He will adapt to Mayweather alot better than Mayweather will adapt to him.
torvix2000
Marquez doesn't know how to catch a "chicken". Therefore, he's not as versatile. Can he catch a potshotting Mayweather?
kidbazooka1
Once Mayweather gets on his bicycle he will be very tough to catch for anyone.

Fitz
He won't be getting on his bicycle against Marquez IMO.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 4 2009, 02:05 AM) *
Marquez doesn't know how to catch a "chicken". Therefore, he's not as versatile. Can he catch a potshotting Mayweather?

Thats assuming he'd try to catch Mayweather. Somehow I cant see Marquez following mayweather around the ring getting potshotted like Baldomir. I see him as the one who forces Mayweather to chase him, especially since Mayweather is the bigger guy. When was the last time Floyd fought a guy like Marquez. Most of the guys he's really been successful against came straight to him. The 2 guys who didnt come face 1st, gave Floyd some trouble early. They were Judah and DLH. Granted, he beat both, but I think Marquez has a much higher ring IQ than both of them. he finds ways to win. As we've seen recently with other fighters, the age isnt really that much of a factor. I think Floyd is 32 and Marquez is 35. I think Marquez is every bit as good now as he was when he was 30. He may even be smarter now.
Imperius3
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 3 2009, 11:43 PM) *
I see that the best thing we could come up with on what Marquez does better is take a shot better, and even that is debatable as Marquez was on queer street by a guy with questionable power at 135. I think Marquez chin won't be as tough as Mayweather in the higher weights.
Looking good guys, seems like you are coming up with a shit load of things laugh.gif

Combination punching and timing. Marquez throws beautiful combinations with deadly accuracy throughout the fight. Mayweather throws good combos too, but he's very conservative with his combos. He nailed Hatton with some good combos late in the fight because he had him hurt, and of course against Gatti because he was a sitting duck. Against DLH and Baldomir though, he was more content to pot shot and land the classic 1-2. When Mayweather and Marquez are in the ring together, I think we will see this advantage. MrFactor also mentioned Marquez is more experienced, and he is probably wiser than Mayweather. I think this is another advantage we will see when these two are in the ring together. Marquez is also pretty fresh for his age, so I don't think age should even be listed as a disadvantage here.
Fitz
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ May 4 2009, 06:30 PM) *
Against DLH and Baldomir though, he was more content to pot shot and land the classic 1-2. When Mayweather and Marquez are in the ring together, I think we will see this advantage

He was content because he felt they were bigger and stronger and played safe. This will not be the case and when they are in the ring together I too think we will see this advantage and I think it will go with Mayweather. By the way, wasn't DLH supposed to be one of the best combination punchers?
Imperius3
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 4 2009, 03:48 AM) *
He was content because he felt they were bigger and stronger and played safe. This will not be the case and when they are in the ring together I too think we will see this advantage and I think it will go with Mayweather. By the way, wasn't DLH supposed to be one of the best combination punchers?

I don't know if I consider DLH one of the best combination punchers (his finishing skills are excellent though), but I believe Marquez throws better combos than he does. I took a look at Mayweather-Gatti again, and Mayweather was kinda slappy with some of his combos. Then I took a look at Marquez against Barrera, Casamayor, and Diaz. His combos inflict serious damage, and he threw them with great accuracy. Speaking of the Casamayor fight, the fact that Marquez was able to take out a master boxer in Casamayor tells me that he'll fare well against Mayweather.

I also want to mention that a lot of people are quickly giving Pacquiao the #1 P4P spot after the fight last night. However, the resume of Marquez is still a little better IMO with those wins over Casamayor and Diaz. And considering that I think Marquez beat Pacquiao twice, I still have Marquez P4P #1.
Fitz
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ May 4 2009, 07:27 PM) *
I don't know if I consider DLH one of the best combination punchers (his finishing skills are excellent though), but I believe Marquez throws better combos than he does. I took a look at Mayweather-Gatti again, and Mayweather was kinda slappy with some of his combos. Then I took a look at Marquez against Barrera, Casamayor, and Diaz. His combos inflict serious damage, and he threw them with great accuracy. Speaking of the Casamayor fight, the fact that Marquez was able to take out a master boxer in Casamayor tells me that he'll fare well against Mayweather.

I also want to mention that a lot of people are quickly giving Pacquiao the #1 P4P spot after the fight last night. However, the resume of Marquez is still a little better IMO with those wins over Casamayor and Diaz. And considering that I think Marquez beat Pacquiao twice, I still have Marquez P4P #1.

Well I suppose we will just have to wait and see. I'm not disrespecting Marquez as I think very highly of him, but I just feel he isn't strong enough to hang with Mayweather and as good as Marquez is, everything he does Mayweather does better IMO. Also you don't need to tell me about the Casamayor fight, I agree with you and before the fight I actually picked Marquez to stop him and even a few people laughed at that because Casamayor hadn't been stopped and been in there with Corrales so that wasn't a surprise to me and that's how much respect I have for Marquez.
Also most people had Pacquiao at #1 before the fight anyways, myself included. Even though I thought Marquez beat Pacquiao for sure, but I just go with the official decision. Just to give you an idea on how I think Marquez won't be strong enough, just remember it looked like he was moments away from getting stopped against Diaz.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 4 2009, 02:55 AM) *
He won't be getting on his bicycle against Marquez IMO.

No he won't.

Floyd will probably throw on his ass kicking shoes for this one.
Imperius3
Diaz buzzed him, but I don't think he was close to getting stopped.

I know you go by the official decision with P4P rankings, and that's okay. It's all subjective. With me, the three blind mice don't matter.
salvador
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ May 3 2009, 07:08 PM) *
nono.gif

Marquez will do better for 2 or 3 rounds, but after that Floyd's going to walk through him because there's no way Marquez can hurt him. Gatti was slow and looked rediculous, but at least he had the power to change the fight with one punch if Floyd made a mistake. There's no mistake Floyd can make that could cause him to lose this fight.
Douchebag
QUOTE (salvador @ May 4 2009, 07:31 AM) *
Marquez will do better for 2 or 3 rounds, but after that Floyd's going to walk through him because there's no way Marquez can hurt him. Gatti was slow and looked rediculous, but at least he had the power to change the fight with one punch if Floyd made a mistake. There's no mistake Floyd can make that could cause him to lose this fight.

Mayweather aint walking through shit!
The CEO
My call is that Marquez will make it competitive at times and ultimately get Owned by Mayweather...in other words....it won't prove to be THE ABSOLUTE MISMATCH Hatton-Pacquiao was...

cool.gif
salvador
QUOTE (The Conscience @ May 4 2009, 07:58 AM) *
Mayweather aint walking through shit!

99% of the time I'd agree with you, and certainly anyone who's ever bet on that before with Floyd has gotten burned, but Marquez is just too small and Floyd's going to want to make a statement.

Marquez has a questionable chin and Floyd knows that Marquez can't hurt him. This is going to be a blowout.
Sugar Q
WOW!!!!! What a great day. Sal, Fitz and Sugar Q on the same page. Good to be on the same side guys cause I too feel this is a statement fight for PBF and with well rested hands he will come into this fight to make a statement. We will see a performance very similar to the Gatti performance. Marquez is a better fighter than Gatti but Floyd is on a serious mission and I expect to see him sit in the pocket and be at his absolute best.
D-MARV
IF Floyd doesn't dominate JMM then he can forget about getting a 50-50 split with Manny.
Douchebag
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 4 2009, 10:53 AM) *
IF Floyd doesn't dominate JMM then he can forget about getting a 50-50 split with Manny.

It's always about the money.
Fitz
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 5 2009, 01:38 AM) *
WOW!!!!! What a great day. Sal, Fitz and Sugar Q on the same page. Good to be on the same side guys cause I too feel this is a statement fight for PBF and with well rested hands he will come into this fight to make a statement. We will see a performance very similar to the Gatti performance. Marquez is a better fighter than Gatti but Floyd is on a serious mission and I expect to see him sit in the pocket and be at his absolute best.

That's good to hear we are on the same page. I get the feeling that most Mayweather fans are trying to make the fight look closer than it really is so they can hype the win later. But add to the fact that the way Pacquiao won, Mayweather will mean business. I just don't see anything that Marquez can do better than Mayweather. He has age, speed, skill and size/strength all against him. At least Pacquiao had some of these advantages over the bigger guy when moving up.
Mayweather will make a bold statement and he is going to stop Marquez. He won't decision him IMO, he will stop him in good fashion.
D-MARV
BigG,
Zab Judah will be on the undercard!
salvador
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 4 2009, 10:38 AM) *

It is nice to be on the same page with you, Sugar.

I don't think Floyd needs to even be on his A-game to dominate JMM. The more I think about it, the more I recall JMM looking pretty small against Diaz.
rusty_trombone
yeah, I think this fight will just gauge just how much the "retirement" took out of Mayweather. I don't expect Marquez too be too much of a challenge, but the way in which Floyd wins will go a long way in showing how he looks after a year off.
BrutalBodyShots
I think the only thing Marquez has going for him is Mayweather's layoff. Mayweather will have been out of the ring for over a year and a half, the longest of his career... For some fighters that means absolutely nothing, for others it can make a difference. I think the Marquez camp needs to be 110% and hope that Mayweather is only 80% or so... but if Mayweather shows up like he hasn't missed a beat Marquez will get owned.

Marquez could make things interesting if he finds a way to get to Mayweather's body, as he's a very good body puncher and few have really gone there with Floyd.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.