Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao Vs Cotto
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
By Mark Vester

After Manny Pacquiao's two round destruction of Ricky Hatton on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, promoter Bob Arum told reporters that Pacquiao's next fight will likely come against WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto in either November or December. He said Pacquiao will be in New York to sit ringside at Madison Square Garden for Cotto's fight against Joshua Clottey.

While many would expect a fight between Pacquiao and the winner of the July 18 bout between Juan Manuel Marquez and Floyd Mayweather Jr, Arum has a lot of heat with Mayweather and his manager Al Haymon. There could also be some very big problems with making the fight when it comes to the split of the money. Mayweather is sure to want at least 50% or more, and Arum has already said that Pacquiao will be getting the bulk of the money if the two sides every sit down to negoiate a possible fight. Since Arum promotes both Pacquiao and Cotto, it's a much easier fight for him to make.

All the Floyd haters may get there wish...

Lil-lightsout
I hope Cotto loses against Clottey, then maybe they will make a Mosley fight.
kidbazooka1
Very interesting fight i honeslty wouldn't know who to pick.
dbdbdb
Arum is softening Floyd up for the negotiating session. He knows that Pac-Floyd would be huge and wants every edge in his favor. Throwing Cotto's name out there shows Floyd that he has options.

Cotto vs Pac-Man is an interesting matchup ... but first he has to get past Clottey ... And Floyd has to get past by JMM.

Mosley {As I stated in an earlier thread} better get the train moving or he will have no options but PW or Berto. Because his name isn't even being mentioned anywhere near the Pac-Man's.
salvador
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ May 3 2009, 03:08 PM) *
Mosley {As I stated in an earlier thread} better get the train moving or he will have no options but PW or Berto. Because his name isn't even being mentioned anywhere near the Pac-Man's.

Arum knows this as well. It's hard for me to imagine that Arum isn't thinking that he can soften Mosley up enough by talking about Cotto-Pacquiao so that he can take the lion's share of the purse for Pac-Mosley. Arum has until Floyd's fight with JMM to make Mosley sweat.

hardhead
Bob Arum needs to die, matter of fact 99.9% of these promoters need to die.

Pacquiao/Mayweather needs to get fucking made ASAP.
JD
Posturing...plain and simple.

Arum best not consider Cotto - Clottey a foregone conclusion either...because it is far from it.
Douchebag
QUOTE (JD @ May 3 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Posturing...plain and simple.

Arum best not consider Cotto - Clottey a foregone conclusion either...because it is far from it.

I'm an avid Cotto supporter and I'm with you on that one. Cotto is going to have be at his very best to pull this one out, but I believe he can do it.
Romulus9
I think Cotto ekes one out against Clottey.

Personally, I'd love to see Mosley-Berto sometime later this year. After the unification, we can see which "governing body" strips the title first.
Method
Yeah, Cotto has a tall order in Clotty.

That said, Arum HATES Haymon, so don't expect this fight to get made any time soon.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (salvador @ May 3 2009, 03:07 PM) *
Arum knows this as well. It's hard for me to imagine that Arum isn't thinking that he can soften Mosley up enough by talking about Cotto-Pacquiao so that he can take the lion's share of the purse for Pac-Mosley. Arum has until Floyd's fight with JMM to make Mosley sweat.

what else is new shane is always left out in the cold.

seriously I dont see anyone out there for shane everyone is booked I mean cotto,clottey,pbf,marq,berto, hell even zab Unless shane fights p-will or maybe even cory spinks i think shane is gonna be on the shelf till winter a shame but thats the way the game is

best scenario for shane is he accepts a rematch with cotto (if cotto gets by clottey)
then gets the winner of a possible pbf vs pac showdown
Nay_Sayer
How many fights left does Cotto have in his contract with Arum?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (salvador @ May 3 2009, 04:07 PM) *

I agree, though I think the message Arum is subtlely sending Mosley is that Cotto doesn't need the rematch with him. Cause I have to believe that - assuming Pac-PBF does somehow, someway get made this year - Mosley is hoping for the Cotto rematch (if Cotto gets by Clottey), which for him would be the next best thing.

Mosley's my guy, and I'd love for him to get the big fight either way. And I fucking hate Arum. But it is kinda nice to see both Floyd and GBP twisting in the wind a bit with minimal leverage in this situation. Been a while since that was the deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.