Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd Mayweather Sr. should be banned from coaching!!
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
torvix2000
Hatton was all alone in there cept for a few friends like assistant trainer and some others.

Floyd Sr. is a dirt level shiiit level trainer. He came in late numerous times with no instructions on his assistant. He came in late during fight time, so how can he express his support. Hatton's confidence is on a low level even before the fight. Mayweather Sr. has no rapport whatsoever with Hatton's other team members.

Nobody's gonna hire this scumbag again!!!
Box in Hand
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 3 2009, 05:08 PM) *
Hatton was all alone in there cept for a few friends like assistant trainer and some others.

Floyd Sr. is a dirt level shiiit level trainer. He came in late numerous times with no instructions on his assistant. He came in late during fight time, so how can he express his support. Hatton's confidence is on a low level even before the fight. Mayweather Sr. has no rapport whatsoever with Hatton's other team members.

Nobody's gonna hire this scumbag again!!!

I think you're right to an extent however I think this is purely emotional. Hatton did not follow the game plan. Check out what he told his father and see what I mean
"He just said, 'The old heart ruled the head again, Dad; steaming in, got my warning signs in the first round. Set off OK at the start of the second round, caught Manny with a few shots. Really worried Manny a little bit. Manny was just throwing wild shots.' He said, 'Then the heart ruled the head again and I went steaming in.' "

Floyd gave him good advise in between rounds and he didn't listen. Hatton is the only one to blame for that crap performance. He let emotion rule the day and in combat that cannot happen.
torvix2000
Hatton "lost" the fight even before the ring. The only thing Mayweather has taught Hatton was CONFIDENCE. Then before the fight, he took the confidence away.
STEVENSKI
SNR is a disgrace.
dbdbdb
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 3 2009, 07:20 PM) *
I think you're right to an extent however I think this is purely emotional. Hatton did not follow the game plan. Check out what he told his father and see what I mean
"He just said, 'The old heart ruled the head again, Dad; steaming in, got my warning signs in the first round. Set off OK at the start of the second round, caught Manny with a few shots. Really worried Manny a little bit. Manny was just throwing wild shots.' He said, 'Then the heart ruled the head again and I went steaming in.' "

Floyd gave him good advise in between rounds and he didn't listen. Hatton is the only one to blame for that crap performance. He let emotion rule the day and in combat that cannot happen.

Sooo True!!!

Floyd Sr. told Hatton after the first round that "he can't just try to overpower Pac-Man and that he has to keep his hand up and move his head". That is good advice!!

But Hatton had in his mind that he can overwhelm the smaller man and bulldoze him to the win. All Hattons fault.

Now the thing I DO NOT LIKE was the many things he said about Roach. Roach may have some faults, but he has earned the respect of many in the boxing circle. And like it or not ... Roach is an excellent trainer and one of the best out there.

Floyd Sr. {In an effort to elevate himself} has to diminish his opponent's trainer credibility ... which in my opinion is a sorry-ass, pathetic move. Floyd Sr.'s claim to fame is his son ... who has been trained by Rodger for soo many years that it isn't even realistic to take credit for Jr.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ May 3 2009, 07:55 PM) *
Sooo True!!!

Floyd Sr. told Hatton after the first round that "he can't just try to overpower Pac-Man and that he has to keep his hand up and move his head". That is good advice!!

But Hatton had in his mind that he can overwhelm the smaller man and bulldoze him to the win. All Hattons fault.

Now the thing I DO NOT LIKE was the many things he said about Roach. Roach may have some faults, but he has earned the respect of many in the boxing circle. And like it or not ... Roach is an excellent trainer and one of the best out there.

Floyd Sr. {In an effort to elevate himself} has to diminish his opponent's trainer credibility ... which in my opinion is a sorry-ass, pathetic move. Floyd Sr.'s claim to fame is his son ... who has been trained by Rodger for soo many years that it isn't even realistic to take credit for Jr.

That's something Mayweather Sr has not done.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ May 3 2009, 06:55 PM) *
Sooo True!!!

I totally agree. Roach is a humble guy battling a horrible disease and didn't deserve that treatment. Big Floyd will most likely be fired by the Hatton camp. I think it would be good if Roach or Richardson could take over Hatton from here. He's still young and after a long rest and a good coach he can come back.
Col Reb
I think Pops Mayweather just does that to sell tickets and draw attention to himself. He is the funniest guy in boxing, and he makes for great TV. However, I don't think he's a better trainer than Roach, who in my opinion is #1. But I do think Pops is a top 5 trainer.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 4 2009, 02:22 AM) *
Roach isn't humble, he is a cocky cunt.

I noticed this, too. However, he isn't doing some taboos.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 3 2009, 07:29 PM) *
I noticed this, too. However, he isn't doing some taboos.

He's humble compared to Floyd. I would say Roach is confident and there is a difference.
Romulus9
Big difference between arrogance and confidence.

Freddie is confident as has every reason to be confident. Floyd Sr. is just an arrogant prick.
neophyte7
"You have not been listening to me from the beginning" This is what SR said to Hatton after he took an ass kicking in the first round--- and judging what Hatton told his father he knows it...

SR told him to feint... Hatton ran straight into a timed power shot- a left hand counter -- I am certain that Manny watched the Mayweather fight-- Mayweather showed how to KO Hatton-------

Mayweather and Paquaio has to happen... but Mayweather has to take care of Marquez and I am sure he has plenty of motivation to do so impressively. I for one am happy to see mayweather at these weights where he belongs. Marquez with eyes on Pacquiao or Mosley are damned good fights and great opponents.
JLUVBABY
i dont think this is a situation where the finger can be pointed at may. sr... he gave sound advice to hatton and appeared to have a good game plan going in.. hatton resorted back to his old self number one and number 2 like hardhead said over the phone if you watch 24/7 they had the perfect game plan going in... they drilled pac on the over hand right the same punch hatton never could seem to get out of the way of...
torvix2000
If Pac was the one who got KTFOed, I'm sure Freddie would still be there.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Yea I noticed that Floyd Sr. was really nowhere near Hatton after he got ko'd. Maybe it was just the camera shot, but it seemed like he just abandoned him. If that's the case, that's some serious character issue there. Also, telling a guy after the 1st round "you haven't been listening to me since the beginning" isn't really comforting. He gave good advice, but he shouldn't have said that. It wouldn't of mattered in this fight though, Hatton just couldn't deal with the speed anyway. Floyd Sr. is a good fit for some fighters, but not others. I thought he worked well with De La Hoya, and had him fighting pretty well. Hatton just got caught up in the atmosphere.
JaRaNDa
MayweAther Sr was very umprofessional when it came to rocking up to training late. I was suprised to see they left that in the show and thought someone would have mentioned something! If you watch 24/7 and the Malanagi fight they were wrong for eachother! There was no connection between the two and were totally oppisate when it came to personality & styles!
BigG
Roach is a good guy.

I don't think Floyd Sr. and Ricky went well together.

Floyd Sr. did a good job with Joan Guzman. He does better with guys that fight going backward and are defensive.

dbdbdb
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ May 4 2009, 07:14 AM) *
Roach is a good guy.

I don't think Floyd Sr. and Ricky went well together.

Good Point!!!

Hatton's first mistake was to hire Floyd Sr.

Many go to Floyd Sr. to learn how to fight as well as Floyd Jr. But fail to realize that it takes a huge commitment to their craft and years of practice to achieve that level of proficiency. It is and was way too late in the game to make Hatton a competent BOXER. {Complete Boxer was totally out of the question} For years Graham put on the body gear and just let Hatton wail away. {No technique, involved at all} Put your head down or into your opponents chest, scream and swing away was the order of the day.

When Hatton finally got a chance to fight an Elite fighter, all his flaws were exposed for the world stage to see. And those serious boxing flaws could not and can not be corrected in a couple sessions or months. It would take years that Hatton doesn't have. So when Hatton got a second chance to fight another Elite fighter ... what happened? He got clocked again.

Hatton never belonged in the same ring with the elite fighters of the sport, because he is a club\street fighter by training. Old style Hatton the hugger, the mugger, the fouler would have had a better chance of beating Pac-Man than any rejuvenated Hatton. He would have had a CHANCE .... Not Likely .... but a chance.

All Floyd Sr. brought to the equation was, exposure to the concepts of the sweet science. Hatton was never in a position to take advantage of that knowledge or training because for tens of years all he had learned was how to be a club\street fighter. And no one can break a lifetime of bad training in a few months.
Douchebag
I don't know.................This is just my take...........................But maybe if Sr. took more of an interest in his fighter as a person and tried to take care of him, Maybe then Hatton would have been more inclined to listen. That's the problem with some professional trainers that jump around from fighter to fighter they have no real interest in the fighter as person, it's just a job to them. But to get a fighter to perform at his very best it has to be a little more than a working relationship their has to be at least a little bit of a bond their so the fighter is totally comfortable in corner. Thoughts?
Douchebag
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ May 4 2009, 07:08 AM) *
Good Point!!!

Hatton's first mistake was to hire Floyd Sr.

Many go to Floyd Sr. to learn how to fight as well as Floyd Jr. But fail to realize that it takes a huge commitment to their craft and years of practice to achieve that level of proficiency. It is and was way too late in the game to make Hatton a competent BOXER. {Complete Boxer was totally out of the question} For years Graham put on the body gear and just let Hatton wail away. {No technique, involved at all} Put your head down or into your opponents chest, scream and swing away was the order of the day.

When Hatton finally got a chance to fight an Elite fighter, all his flaws were exposed for the world stage to see. And those serious boxing flaws could not and can not be corrected in a couple sessions or months. It would take years that Hatton doesn't have. So when Hatton got a second chance to fight another Elite fighter ... what happened? He got clocked again.

Hatton never belonged in the same ring with the elite fighters of the sport, because he is a club\street fighter by training. Old style Hatton the hugger, the mugger, the fouler would have had a better chance of beating Pac-Man than any rejuvenated Hatton. He would have had a CHANCE .... Not Likely .... but a chance.

All Floyd Sr. brought to the equation was, exposure to the concepts of the sweet science. Hatton was never in a position to take advantage of that knowledge or training because for tens of years all he had learned was how to be a club\street fighter. And no one can break a lifetime of bad training in a few months.

I counter that argument with Marco Antonio Barrera. It's never to late learn how to Jab and move your head. That'a all he had to do and the fight would have gone at least into the later rounds.
Method

Agree with that.

Hell, Hopkins could be seen during the introductions mouthing the SAME instructions to Floyd Mayweather from across the ring.

All that aside, I have to call out the unprofessionalism of Sr by blowing off training, etc. That's some bullshit.

Conscience, I hear you on the bonding thing. I mean, for whatever the fuck it's worth, Floyd did have Hatton and his entourage over for Kool-Ade (as shown in 24/7).

LOL.
The CEO
Big Floyd trained Hatton for the money and the money alone...he knew Hatton was a nothing all along...that being said....I'm sure he did his job and taught Hatton properly....yeah....the showing up late looked bad...but then again...it's now been revealed that Hatton and his team looked at Senior as merely a "consultant"....and that they were disrespecting him....ignoring him and what not....
D-MARV
I hope people aren't blaming Floyd Sr. for this fight. I don't blame anyone. Styles make fights and I should have listen to the few guys who said Manny was going to blow through Hatton. Sr. tried his best. He gave good instructions but that wasn't enough. Hatton's style is custom made for Pacquiao. I wouldn't say that Hatton sucks but he is just not an elite fighter.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 4 2009, 09:39 AM) *
I hope people aren't blaming Floyd Sr. for this fight. I don't blame anyone. Styles make fights and I should have listen to the few guys who said Manny was going to blow through Hatton. Sr. tried his best. He gave good instructions but that wasn't enough. Hatton's style is custom made for Pacquiao. I wouldn't say that Hatton sucks but he is just not an elite fighter.

I agree. I tell you the truth, I don't think Senior is any good but to blame him ENTIRELY for Hatton's loss is not correct. Hatton was not going to beat Pacquiao and it is a good thing his chin didn't hold up because it would have been a long brutal beating for him.

BigG
I hope people aren't blaming Floyd Sr. for this fight.

Hatton of the Malignaggi, Pacquiao fights was exactly the same. How can anyone blame Floyd Sr? He did his job. He is a trainer that specializes in defense. I think Ricky brought in Floyd Sr. to sharpen up Ricky's defense but Ricky became the same old Ricky against Pacquiao...he doesn't have to talent or skills to hang with the truly elite fighters.
Method
Some color from Steve Kim's article today...

NO JOY

There was a lot of talk about friction in Hatton's camp that centered on Floyd Mayweather Sr. and his inability to get along with the rest of the camp. What I found very interesting - and disturbing to be honest with you - was that after the fight as I moved my way along press row to the aisle where the fighters make their way back to the dressing rooms, while Hatton groggily walked to the bowels of the arena, he was not accompanied by Mayweather Sr.

In fact, Mayweather Sr. wouldn't make his way for another 10 minutes or so. And as he did, he was taking pictures, signing autographs and smiling the whole way as if he didn't have a care in the world. Is this the way someone should conduct themselves after their fighter was savagely knocked out? And no matter what he says, he was in that corner and in fact was introduced by Michael Buffer, in a first. You may have had disagreements with Hatton and his team in the lead-up to that fight, but doesn't he deserve more respect than that?

If he was so willing to accept all the plaudits for his fighter’s victory and then call out Freddie 'the Joke Coach' Roach (as he calls him), then shouldn't he be willing to accept at least some accountability for what took place on Saturday night? I happen to get along with Floyd Sr., but in this instance he was completely out of line. As they say, when you point fingers, three of them come right back at you.

I always thought that this was a rather strange union, Hatton and Mayweather. Not only from a stylistic perspective of boxing, but also from a personality standpoint. And was it just me, or did anyone find it a bit strange and unsettling that on 24/7 that Mayweather had no problems in making a 'run for the border' and grabbing some Taco Bell and being tardy for his training session with Hatton? If he would do that while the cameras were on him, just how many times was he late before and after?

I was told that Oscar De La Hoya was infuriated by the results of the fight and had some harsh words for Mayweather Sr. afterwards in the dressing room.
D-MARV
Good article by Steve...

I have no doubt in my mind that Sr. was a dickhead to Hatton and was only in it for the money... But I just don't think Mayweather was the guy for Hatton anyways. Floyd teaches boxes how to box... Hatton is far from a boxer. He's a brawler! At this stage, you can not tun a brawler into a boxer. Floyd had the right game plan for this fight. He just didn't have the right fighter. This is not knocking Hatton at all other than the fact that his style was custom made for Pacquiao. Simple as that. Not even "Freddie Roach" could have saved Hatton. If you switched trainers for this fight you get the same results.
Douchebag
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 4 2009, 10:43 AM) *
Good article by Steve...

I have no doubt in my mind that Sr. was a dickhead to Hatton and was only in it for the money... But I just don't think Mayweather was the guy for Hatton anyways. Floyd teaches boxes how to box... Hatton is far from a boxer. He's a brawler! At this stage, you can not tun a brawler into a boxer. Floyd had the right game plan for this fight. He just didn't have the right fighter. This is not knocking Hatton at all other than the fact that his style was custom made for Pacquiao. Simple as that. Not even "Freddie Roach" could have saved Hatton. If you switched trainers for this fight you get the same results.

I don't think he need to change nor do I think Sr. was trying to. All Ricky had to do was throw a Jab and move his head. Besically mimic prime tyson who was not a pure boxer either, but style did have have some boxining elements to it. If a fighter is willing he can implement a JAB in as little as month in to a game plan. It's just one punch. Ricky was never going box circles around Pac and I don't think that was the ever the intention.
dbdbdb
I think Floyd Sr. was in it for the paper .. and came to the realization early in training that Hatton {Under pressure} would revert back to what he's done all along.

And his actions post-fight were a disgrace ... He immediately put himself in the position to state that Hatton didn't listen to him from day one. In any case Floyd Sr. as the lead trainer {Captain} should have gone down with the ship, win or lose. You don't hop overboard the second pirates attack. that's a shitty move!!!!

Is Floyd Sr. to blame???

To a large degree NO!!!!

But any trainer worth his salt would accept some of the blame because he is part of the team.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ May 4 2009, 12:18 PM) *
I think Floyd Sr. was in it for the paper .. and came to the realization early in training that Hatton {Under pressure} would revert back to what he's done all along.

And his actions post-fight were a disgrace ... He immediately put himself in the position to state that Hatton didn't listen to him from day one. In any case Floyd Sr. as the lead trainer {Captain} should have gone down with the ship, win or lose. You don't hop overboard the second pirates attack. that's a shitty move!!!!

Is Floyd Sr. to blame???

To a large degree NO!!!!

But any trainer worth his salt would accept some of the blame because he is part of the team.

Very true.

Sr's attitude also tells us a bit about why he and Junior don't talk. It's two big egos going at it and in a training camp there's only room for one.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 4 2009, 10:45 AM) *
Very true.

Sr's attitude also tells us a bit about why he and Junior don't talk. It's two big egos going at it and in a training camp there's only room for one.

Are you guys planning on getting an interview with SR. anytime soon? I'd really like to hear his side. We all know Hatton through the plan out the window but why was SR. absent after the knockout? Why did he call for Hatton to retire when Hatton is still young and still competitive? Why was he late so many time even to the pre-fight conference during one of the biggest fights of his career?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ May 4 2009, 04:17 AM) *
MayweAther Sr was very umprofessional when it came to rocking up to training late. I was suprised to see they left that in the show and thought someone would have mentioned something!

Ha ha. Actually I did, when I was responding to C.E.O. saying he thought Big Floyd was only in it for the money.

QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 2 2009, 01:32 PM) *
I couldn't agree with this statement any more. Matter of fact, that to me has been the dominant theme that I've taken from watching these 24/7's. (Didn't see last night's final ep though). Making Hatton wait at the gym while he scarfs down some tacos? Come on, Floyd Joy knows what time it is.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.