Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: P4P King
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
EirbinX
I wanted to ask. If mayweather K.O's Marquez would he be the P4P King Because i've looked at The Ring Magazine and the reason JMM is #2 is because of how he hung with pacquiao in there two fights....would they put him on top? and does he deserve it based this fight?
Jack 1000
QUOTE (EirbinX @ May 4 2009, 01:33 PM) *
I wanted to ask. If mayweather K.O's Marquez would he be the P4P King Because i've looked at The Ring Magazine and the reason JMM is #2 is because of how he hung with pacquiao in there two fights....would they put him on top? and does he deserve it based this fight?

Mayweather beating Marquez won't make him P4P king as Floyd is expected to win easily. Floyd would have to beat Manny Pacquiao convincingly to get P4P status.

Jack
Mean Mister Mustard
Absolutely not. This is a tune up fight for Mayweather and you don't get to the #1 spot by winning a tune up, especially when that tune up is an older, smaller, slower version of yourself.

Manny Pacquiao is comfortably in the number 1 spot right now his track record since 2006 includes Larios, Morales, Solis, Barerra, Marquez, Diaz, DLH and Hatton. You have 5 HOF'ers there and the only guy he didn't dominate was Marquez. Mayweather is going to have to start taking on dangerous fighters again if he wants the number #1 spot. Depending on how he beats Marquez, I could see him maybe cracking the top 10. Maybe.

If he Ko's Marquez early or beats him up for 8-9 rounds and then finishes him with a mindblowing KO, I might put him in at #10 replacing whoever has taken Hatton's place by then. But that's still a "maybe".
D-MARV
Not having Mayweather in the top 10 is pure hatred.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 4 2009, 02:22 PM) *
Not having Mayweather in the top 10 is pure hatred.

Is that all you are going to say when discussing Mayweather's critics? The ol' hater argument? At least the "Marquez is #2 P4P" argument was a little more entertaining.
kidbazooka1
Nope he will need to beat Pacquiao.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Yea, he'll definitely have to do some work to get that # 1 spot back. Who knows when Pac and Mayweather will fight though, since Arum seems set on putting on Cotto vs. Pac. So who knows what Mayweather will do after Marquez. If Mayweather defeats Marquez, I'd put him at # 2. If Mayweather doesn't get Pac, I'd like to see him fight Mosley. That would be a fairly big fight too, but not as big as Pac-Mayweather of course.
EirbinX
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 4 2009, 03:21 PM) *
Absolutely not. This is a tune up fight for Mayweather and you don't get to the #1 spot by winning a tune up, especially when that tune up is an older, smaller, slower version of yourself.

Manny Pacquiao is comfortably in the number 1 spot right now his track record since 2006 includes Larios, Morales, Solis, Barerra, Marquez, Diaz, DLH and Hatton. You have 5 HOF'ers there and the only guy he didn't dominate was Marquez. Mayweather is going to have to start taking on dangerous fighters again if he wants the number #1 spot. Depending on how he beats Marquez, I could see him maybe cracking the top 10. Maybe.

If he Ko's Marquez early or beats him up for 8-9 rounds and then finishes him with a mindblowing KO, I might put him in at #10 replacing whoever has taken Hatton's place by then. But that's still a "maybe".

Just to be Devil's Advocate, shouldnt he be #2 if he beats the #2 fighter, especially if its by KO
Douchebag
QUOTE (EirbinX @ May 4 2009, 04:26 PM) *
Just to be Devil's Advocate, shouldnt he be #2 if he beats the #2 fighter, especially if its by KO

No, for the simple fact that Marquez has to jump two weight classes to fight him. Now if mayweather where to fight and beat Paul Williams in the fight right after then there is a solid argument.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Conscience @ May 4 2009, 03:34 PM) *
No, for the simple fact that Marquez has to jump two weight classes to fight him. Now if mayweather where to fight and beat Paul Williams in the fight right after then there is a solid argument.

i'd like to see that fight more than may./pac. but i doubt that fight ever happens.. i say it now and i been saying it since before paul lost to quintana that paul has the style to beat mayweather... specially now that paul has gotten bigger and appears to be getting better... over all may. might be the better fighter but styles make fights and paul williams would give him fits all night long win or lose... its a fight that mayweather would have to man up in to win...
D-MARV
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 4 2009, 03:29 PM) *
Is that all you are going to say when discussing Mayweather's critics? The ol' hater argument? At least the "Marquez is #2 P4P" argument was a little more entertaining.

Yeah, that's all I'm going to say... Because any FOOL can see that Floyd belongs in the top 10.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 5 2009, 05:23 AM) *
Yeah, that's all I'm going to say... Because any FOOL can see that Floyd belongs in the top 10.

Break it down for me. How does he deserve to be a P4P fighter by not fighitng in all 2008 and then beating a smaller, slower, older version of himself?
D-MARV
Name 10 guys that belong ahead of him?
Mean Mister Mustard
Vic Darchynyan, Ivan Calderon, Paul Williams, Israel Vasquez, Rafael Marquez, Bernard Hopkins, Juan Manuel Marquez, Shane Mosley, Celestino Caballero, Miguel Cotto, Nonito Donaire.
D-MARV
Vasquez? Marquez?, they been off almost as much as Mayweather...

Cotto? he lost to Margarito and he should be ranked over Floyd based on beating that guy in Feburary?

Donaire? Really? Come on MMM, just say you hate Floyd and keep it moving.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 5 2009, 07:54 AM) *
Vasquez? Marquez?, they been off almost as much as Mayweather...

Cotto? he lost to Margarito and he should be ranked over Floyd based on beating that guy in Feburary?

Donaire? Really? Come on MMM, just say you hate Floyd and keep it moving.

Cotto has been active and keeping it together. Moreover he will be facing Clottey, a real welterweight, in June. That's something Mayweather would never do. There's no shame in losing,especially if he beats Clottey.

Vazquez and Marquez engaged in a war, they have the right to relax for a bit. Plus they have fought the best in their divisions.

You laugh at Donaire being P4P?? I added 11 guys there, that's more than 10. I would even say Montiel deserves to be ahead of Mayweather. There, that's 12. Bute has also been on a good run. That's 13.

I've giving you 13 names, Now YOU tell me, why Mayweather deserves to reitre and then come back as a P4P'er for beating an older, smaller, slower version of himself? Or just admit you love Mayweather and keep things moving.
Mean Mister Mustard
wtf wrong thread.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 5 2009, 11:07 AM) *
Cotto has been active and keeping it together. Moreover he will be facing Clottey, a real welterweight, in June. That's something Mayweather would never do. There's no shame in losing,especially if he beats Clottey.

Vazquez and Marquez engaged in a war, they have the right to relax for a bit. Plus they have fought the best in their divisions.

You laugh at Donaire being P4P?? I added 11 guys there, that's more than 10. I would even say Montiel deserves to be ahead of Mayweather. There, that's 12. Bute has also been on a good run. That's 13.

I've giving you 13 names, Now YOU tell me, why Mayweather deserves to reitre and then come back as a P4P'er for beating an older, smaller, slower version of himself? Or just admit you love Mayweather and keep things moving.

When Floyd left he was P4P king. Since his absence... Only Pacquiao, Marquez, and Maybe Hopkins have done anything to threaten that crown. Did anyone really believe that Floyd was "retired"? In terms of accomplishments and overall skill, I think it's impossible to leave Floyd out of the top 10... top 5 would be pushing it but it's debatable. You are throwing names out there like Bute and Donaire which really leads me to believe that you're hate has got the best of you.

And NO... Im not in love with Floyd. I hope Marquez can pull off the upset. But I do think people go overboard with there hate towards Floyd. Prime Example would be not including Floyd in the list of top 10 p4p if he does indeed beat Marquez.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 5 2009, 12:15 PM) *
When Floyd left he was P4P king. Since his absence... Only Pacquiao, Marquez, and Maybe Hopkins have done anything to threaten that crown. Did anyone really believe that Floyd was "retired"? In terms of accomplishments and overall skill, I think it's impossible to leave Floyd out of the top 10... top 5 would be pushing it but it's debatable. You are throwing names out there like Bute and Donaire which really leads me to believe that you're hate has got the best of you.

And NO... Im not in love with Floyd. I hope Marquez can pull off the upset. But I do think people go overboard with there hate towards Floyd. Prime Example would be not including Floyd in the list of top 10 p4p if he does indeed beat Marquez.

I too never believed the retirement was real. That being said this is not a question of hate but rather a question of fairness. Whether I believe his retirement was real or not is irrelevant since it was recognized by the media as real. Putting him in the P4P again for beating a smaller, slower and older fighter is not right for all the other guys who have been fighting the best of their division for a year and a half.
D-MARV
Well how fair is it to just completly throw Mayweather off the list?

Again, I don't think anyone but Pacquiao, Maquez, and Hopkins has done anything step over Floyd. You can Argue Mosley and Williams.
Mean Mister Mustard
Yeah well I blame the boxing press for taking the retirement seriously and taking him off the list to begin with.

Point is Marv, beating Marquez should not get Mayweather back in the P4P list. He probably will be but one thing is for sure, whether he is or isn't you have to admit this discussion is a bit of a time waster. Who cares? In the end Mayweather is going to have to face someone good who is his own size and then he'll be back in the p4p list.
The CEO
Mayweather will not be on my list until after the Marquez fight....

That being said...after he beats Marquez, I'll probably put him at #2...even though he is clearly the best pound for pound boxer in the world....

The work Pacquiao has done while Mayweather was away HAS to be respected....
D-MARV
I respect Pacquiao and Marquez...

If Maquez makes it close I still might keep him over Floyd.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ May 5 2009, 12:50 PM) *
Mayweather will not be on my list until after the Marquez fight....

That being said...after he beats Marquez, I'll probably put him at #2...even though he is clearly the best pound for pound boxer in the world....

The work Pacquiao has done while Mayweather was away HAS to be respected....

Well the real question is where you got Hatton in your list???
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 5 2009, 11:51 PM) *
Yep. Same as me. I will recognise that Mayweather is the best fighter in the world also, but Pacquiao has done too much work in his absence for Mayweather to jump him. Mayweather has the skills of a champion, he just don't have the mentality of one.

What makes PBF the "best fighter" in the world? I know he has the "potential" to be the best but has done nothing to prove he is the best.

So far everything that PBF has done Pac has done better & in more dominant fashion.

If PBF blows Marquez away in a couple of rounds you could make that claim but a win over Marquez at 142 is just not that impressive. It would have to be a onesided slaughter to merit attention.
STEVENSKI
Fair point Fitz. He ha sthe potential to be the best but he does not use that potemtial to make him the best.
The CEO
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 5 2009, 07:52 PM) *
Well the real question is where you got Hatton in your list???

lol...FINALLY out of The Top 20....it's taken 4 years and 2 brutal embarrassments to finally erase that bullshit win over Tszyu that kept him lingering around.....
EirbinX
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ May 5 2009, 10:33 PM) *
lol...FINALLY out of The Top 20....it's taken 4 years and 2 brutal embarrassments to finally erase that bullshit win over Tszyu that kept him lingering around.....

yea....he kinda mentions that win in like every interview he's ever been in after that fight
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 5 2009, 05:34 PM) *
Well how fair is it to just completly throw Mayweather off the list?

Again, I don't think anyone but Pacquiao, Maquez, and Hopkins has done anything step over Floyd. You can Argue Mosley and Williams.

Well in PBF's "retirement" Vic has unified & then become UNDISPUTED champion which also eclipses anything PBF has done post Hatton.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.