Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Future Superfight Prediction Poll
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
The CEO
I'm sure some people are extra high on Manny right now....but I wanna see what's up.....here we go....

Floyd by TKO in the 9th round.
Spyder
Floyd by a pretty wide decision...118-110 or 117-111.
Box in Hand
People are really on a Pac man high but I'll say it again, I'm not impressed by his wins over De La Hoya the Skeleton and Hatton the over rated bum. Pac is now a two handed fighter and his speed is ridiculous but his flaws will allow Mayweather to eat him whole. Pac throws wild punches and will sacrifice balance to land a punch. Like Mayweather or not, he is a wiz in the ring. He will ko pac before 12.
iron_mike
PBF WILL NOT KO PAC.......that's ridiculous...if he wins, it'll go to the scorecards
D-MARV
I keep going back and forth on this one. I say Floyd TKO11 with the cards being deadlocked after 8!
Box in Hand
QUOTE (iron_mike @ May 5 2009, 01:21 PM) *
PBF WILL NOT KO PAC.......that's ridiculous...if he wins, it'll go to the scorecards

Pac's aggression is gonna get him KTFO. Floyd is a counter puncher by nature. Pac is an attack fighter by nature. This is not going to the score cards
salvador
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 5 2009, 02:39 PM) *
Pac's aggression is gonna get him KTFO. Floyd is a counter puncher by nature. Pac is an attack fighter by nature. This is not going to the score cards

Yep.

And not only is he a counter puncher, but he's a counterpuncher who's naturally (at least) 15 pounds heavier than Pac and he's also a counterpuncher with the very best defense in the sport.

Floyd by KO in the 7th.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 5 2009, 03:15 PM) *
People are really on a Pac man high but I'll say it again, I'm not impressed by his wins over De La Hoya the Skeleton and Hatton the over rated bum.

his wins over those two were more impressive than mayweather's wins against them.
thehype
Pacquiao by Split Decision!

Yep...I said it...Manny Pacquiao by Split Decision.

The problem with Floyd is that he's not a fighter anymore....he's a businessman.

If Floyd actually let his hands go like he used to back in the day (or like he did when he fought Gatti), then I'd pick him hands down. Unfortunately, he's become way too defensive for my liking. Floyd should have been able to beat Hatton and De La Hoya the same way that Pacquiao beat the crap out of them, but because he's become a "defense first" fighter, those fights went on way longer than they should have...and as such, he makes himself susceptible to losing rounds depending on who's judging them. Case in point, his fight with De La Hoya! Personally, I thought Floyd won that fight fairly easy...at least 8 rounds to 4...and yet, a lot of people...and I mean A LOT of people, actually thought it was either a draw or that De La Hoya should have got the nod (which he did with one of those senile judges). I'm not buying into all this talk that Manny is too aggressive and blah, blah, blah...on the contrary, I think Manny has become a pretty smart fighter who knows how to stick to a gameplan and chooses when to engage and when to stay away. I definitely don't think he'll be coming right at Floyd (a la Hatton and De La Hoya). I think he'll be in and out...pick his shots...flurry when he needs to...and will probably win rounds whether his punches are landing flush or not. I don't think either guy is going to knock the other out and if it goes to the scorecards, I think a lot of judges will favor the things that Pacquiao does in the fight over the things that Mayweather does.

So yeah...Manny Pacquiao by Split Decision (expect a rematch not long after that Mayweather will probably win).

And please don't get me wrong in my prediction...I'm not saying that Pacquiao will beat Mayweather up...quite frankly, with Floyd's defensive skills, that's just a task that's difficult to do. However, IF they eventually do fight, I think Manny wins the first fight on the scorecards by simply outworking him with combinations (something Floyd does less and less of)...whether those combinations actually land will be meaningless in the eyes of the judges.

I will say this though...Manny Pacquiao will DEFINITELY have the fastest hands of anyone that Floyd has faced...even faster than Zab Judah's hands. Keep in mind that Zab actually did get some work done against Mayweather and may have won the first four rounds against him. Of course, Manny Pacquiao is no Zab Judah...but then again, Zab Judah is no Manny Pacquiao.

I'll give you another prediction...I think Floyd will look less than stellar against Juan Manuel Marquez. I don't think the size difference is going to be as great as some people believe and truth be told, Marquez is probably the best fighter that Floyd has faced in a long, long, LONG time. In fact, you might have to go back to 2002 to find his last tough test against Jose Luis Castillo and even then, Castillo wasn't quite as smart of a boxer as Marquez is.
Lil-lightsout
Too early for a prediction from me. I wanna see what PBF looks like against JMM first. But I will say Pac has brought his power up with him, and I will not count him out.
D-MARV
I spent the last hour watching some vintage Floyd, and I'm pretty comfortable in saying that Floyd stops Manny. When Floyd let's his hands go he is in a class of his own. I''m sure he would put on a good showing against Juan Manuel Marquez.
salvador
QUOTE (thehype @ May 5 2009, 03:17 PM) *

The problem with Floyd is that he's not a fighter anymore....he's a businessman.

If Floyd actually let his hands go like he used to back in the day (or like he did when he fought Gatti), then I'd pick him hands down. Unfortunately, he's become way too defensive for my liking.

I will say this though...Manny Pacquiao will DEFINITELY have the fastest hands of anyone that Floyd has faced...even faster than Zab Judah's hands. Keep in mind that Zab actually did get some work done against Mayweather and may have won the first four rounds against him. Of course, Manny Pacquiao is no Zab Judah...but then again, Zab Judah is no Manny Pacquiao.

I'll give you another prediction...I think Floyd will look less than stellar against Juan Manuel Marquez. I don't think the size difference is going to be as great as some people believe and truth be told, Marquez is probably the best fighter that Floyd has faced in a long, long, LONG time. In fact, you might have to go back to 2002 to find his last tough test against Jose Luis Castillo and even then, Castillo wasn't quite as smart of a boxer as Marquez is.

I assume your use of the word "businessman" is a polite way of saying "complete fraud who likes to beat women when he's sober and who shamelessly ducks anyone who could possibly hurt him".

The thing about Floyd fighting Pacquiao is that he won't have any choice but to let his hands go, otherwise Pac will will rounds convincingly on workrate alone. And Pac's style dictates that the foundation of Floyd's defense in the fight will be the counter jab, a punch I expect Floyd to land early and often. Floyd's counter jab will probably the most effective punch anyone has ever thrown against Pac, as it's going to be the only punch Pac's ever seen that reaches him quicker than he can reach his opponent. Over time Floyd's confidence will grow and he'll start following his counter jab with quick, heavy, accurate right hands which I believe he will be landing at will by the 3rd round.

I don't believe Manny has ever seen anyone with Floyd's speed, Floyd's power (those right hands are going to be heavy and accurate and they will land), Floyd's defense, Floyd's coordination, or Floyd's intelligence. The Zab comparison is important, because the big difference between Zab and Pac is that Zab's one punch power was enough to keep Floyd nervous. Pacquiao, in spite of this weekend, doesn't have one punch ko power unless someone is going to jump in with no head movement and no jab (the kind of behavior I doubt we'll see from Floyd).

JMM is EASILY the best fighter Floyd has ever faced, but JMM looked small against Diaz at 135. JMM, sadly, doesn't have the punch to keep Floyd off of him. This will be a blowout.

Box in Hand
QUOTE (salvador @ May 5 2009, 02:58 PM) *
I assume your use of the word "businessman" is a polite way of saying "complete fraud who likes to beat women when he's sober and who shamelessly ducks anyone who could possibly hurt him".

The thing about Floyd fighting Pacquiao is that he won't have any choice but to let his hands go, otherwise Pac will will rounds convincingly on workrate alone. And Pac's style dictates that the foundation of Floyd's defense in the fight will be the counter jab, a punch I expect Floyd to land early and often. Floyd's counter jab will probably the most effective punch anyone has ever thrown against Pac, as it's going to be the only punch Pac's ever seen that reaches him quicker than he can reach his opponent. Over time Floyd's confidence will grow and he'll start following his counter jab with quick, heavy, accurate right hands which I believe he will be landing at will by the 3rd round.

I don't believe Manny has ever seen anyone with Floyd's speed, Floyd's power (those right hands are going to be heavy and accurate and they will land), Floyd's defense, Floyd's coordination, or Floyd's intelligence. The Zab comparison is important, because the big difference between Zab and Pac is that Zab's one punch power was enough to keep Floyd nervous. Pacquiao, in spite of this weekend, doesn't have one punch ko power unless someone is going to jump in with no head movement and no jab (the kind of behavior I doubt we'll see from Floyd).

JMM is EASILY the best fighter Floyd has ever faced, but JMM looked small against Diaz at 135. JMM, sadly, doesn't have the punch to keep Floyd off of him. This will be a blowout.

I agree and good analysis. The problem with Floyd is that he became civilized. He said having kids made him not want to take chances so now he chooses to coast to victory. Manny will keep him honest and when Floyd let's go it's like watching a ballet. He moves with coordinated violence and he is extremely intelligent. I just wish he would go back to the old Floyd.
dbdbdb
The C.E.O. ... You're shooting the bird before he leaves the nest on this one. But, its a good topic and will be an interesting read.

Analysis:
The biggest issue\problem Pac-Man will have with Floyd is that he has an outstanding Jab and can counter off that jab very well. Pac-Man's incoming charge can be off-set by an opponent with a good jab. Another issue\problem for Pac-Man is how will he handle Floyd's ability to get in tight and work you to death while there. And last but not least -- Floyd is at his best against aggressive fighters -- this is where he uses his defense to frustrate his opponent into making mistakes.

Pac-Man on the other side of the coin has very fast hands and very good power for his size. Which can and will in many cases cause many problems for Floyd. Another asset for Pac-Man is his extremely excellent footwork, which allows him to constantly reposition around his opponent as he's throwing punches. This will be the biggest problem for Floyd -- because Pac-Man will not be in the same spot he threw the punch from. Which means Floyds counters will have to be directed to the spot Pac-Man is going ... rather than the spot he threw the punch from. And lastly, Pac-Man thrives on targets that are stationary ... Floyd has a habit of remaining too stationary at times while he's in his defensive shell. Power shots from the Pac-Man will be far and few in between .... so he will have to carefully choose his shots and when to throw them.

Key punches for the Pac-Man:
Left-Hook coming from a down position will be the shot. {Floyd's defensive shell is open for the left-hook when he comes up from a dip at the waist}

Key punches for Floyd:
Left-Jab followed by the right upper-cut. {Pac-Man cups his ears with the gloves after every combination thrown ... leaving a nice gap right up the middle}

Outcome: Mayweather By KO!!!
Floyd overwhelms Pac-Man physically in every way in this matchup. But I don't think Floyd will make the rookie mistake of trying to bulldose Pac-Man to the win. So I'm predicting, that this will become a very tactical fight from the opening bell. Because Roach {Has already stated, that Floyd presents all kinds of problems in the ring} will prepare Pac-Man to tone down the attacking and aggressiveness when necessary. To keep Pac-Man from making the kinds of mistakes that Floyd will capitalize on.

Sidenote: If Floyd has a chip on his shoulder {Which is always the case}, because many were soo eager to anoint his P4P replacement -- He will definitely go for the KO the first chance he gets.
kidbazooka1
Pacquiao by late rd stoppage after being behind on the scorecards.

Then goes on to become the greatest p4p fighters of all time surpassing Robinson.

j/k on that last statement.
JD
I actually think Pac's speed and combination punching will be a real problem for Floyd. Pac is every bit the offensive fighter that Floyd is the defensive fighter.

The key for Floyd will actually be his straight right, and I can see him landing it with frequency as the fight wears on.

Tough fight to call right now, let's see what Floyd does with Marquez.
STEVENSKI
I will take Pac in this one. I just think that Pac brings a awful lot to the table that PBF has never seen. The same can be said about PBF & what he brings but man Pac's dog was stolen & ate!!

Pac is hungry for legacy & PBF is hungry for $$. Pac is the type of figter who will fight until he is hamburger & PBF is well not that type of fighter & we all know it.

PBF is more "skilled" but Pac is sorely underrated his timing can be sublime. I know people are high on Pac right now but he is all that & then some.

If & this is a big if Pac can beat Cotto, Shane & PBF then he will rank right up there with Robinson IMO. He has already reached parity with the SRL's of this world if not exceeded them.

Pac is that damm good. People say Hatton & DLH were shot well even if that is the case Pac did what a P4P fighter was supposed to do with them & that is smash them until they buckle & fold.
D-MARV
I hear a lot about Floyd being all about the money and I agree to a certain extent. But I can assure you Floyd cares a lot about legacy as well. He wants to go down as the greatest of all time. If he does indeed fight Manny, he will take the fight very seriously and try his hardest to make a statement.
E.C.LEGEND
hey fitz, thats a nice pic! But thats probably what Pac's head is going to be doing on the canvas (bouncing) when floyd gets done with him! lol
rusty_trombone
Uh, I'd like to see what Floyd looks like after his layoff, but if he comes back the same, then I think Floyd wins. We'll see after the Marquez fight
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 12:45 AM) *
I don't think he has exceeded SRL yet, I think he is on parity only with the Hopkins, Jones, Mayweather's etc. Well he is on that level anyways.

I think he is up there. Well up there infact.

He came from a world champion at 108 for gods sake. he may have been a kid & if that is the case then it is even more impressive for a kid to win world titles.

Pac is one of those special fighters that do not come around very often.

Barerra, Morales, JMM & Hatton all stack up well on his record. Hatton whatever you think of him was the universally recognised champion for 4 years of 140.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 5 2009, 09:05 PM) *
Barerra, Morales, JMM & Hatton all stack up well on his record. Hatton whatever you think of him was the universally recognised champion for 4 years of 140.

yeah, i think his win over dlh was more impressive than hatton. i don't think hatton was ever as good as dlh, and probably just as far past it when they respectively fought manny. Not overly impressed by either win, his wins over the Mexicans are way more impressive, they way he fucking blew up barerra the first time was pretty damn impressive.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 5 2009, 09:10 PM) *
Yes, good Hatton win I still don't rate his wins Barrera and Morales at 126-130 as anything as good as Leonard has. To me I still rate Hopkins above Pacquiao, but I think Pacquiao is on the same level as the Hopkins, Jones, Mayweathers etc. I don't think he is in the Leonard, Duran territory yet.

Oh, I think Manny's body of work now surely surpasses that of Hopkins, and Roy Jones for that matter. Hopefully him and mayweather get a fight together,
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 02:10 AM) *
Yes, good Hatton win I still don't rate his wins Barrera and Morales at 126-130 as anything as good as Leonard has. To me I still rate Hopkins above Pacquiao, but I think Pacquiao is on the same level as the Hopkins, Jones, Mayweathers etc. I don't think he is in the Leonard, Duran territory yet.

Fitz why can't you just admit that you hate Pacman & you will never forgive him for destroying Morales twice taking his manhood? He is up in the Leonard & Duran turf for sure & is still in his prime.

QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 02:11 AM) *
Agreed. I think his wins over the mexicans is better than the DLH win as well.

laugh.gif Quote of the year. That cracked me up because we all knoe DLH is not a real Mexican.

QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ May 6 2009, 02:13 AM) *
Oh, I think Manny's body of work now surely surpasses that of Hopkins, and Roy Jones for that matter. Hopefully him and mayweather get a fight together,

I agree. That is not a knock on X or RJJ's careers either.

Mean Mister Mustard
Pacquiao didn't bull rush Marquez in their second fight and had more success throughout the whole fight than he did in the 1st one. So I don't expect him to come foward and try to pressure Mayweather. Since the 2nd Morales fight, Pacquiao has become more of a counterpuncher who makes you lead. That style combined with his speed, power and footwork makes him extremely hard to beat. Mayweather will have to watch JMM's fights with Pacquiao in order to see how to set Pacman up for the rights and how to add his own little twist to it.

I expect Mayweather to outbox Pacquiao in one of his toughest fights ever.
thehype
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 5 2009, 04:52 PM) *
I spent the last hour watching some vintage Floyd, and I'm pretty comfortable in saying that Floyd stops Manny. When Floyd let's his hands go he is in a class of his own. I''m sure he would put on a good showing against Juan Manuel Marquez.

That's the problem...vintage Floyd is not the Floyd that you get nowadays. He RARELY lets his hands go like that...he didn't let them go against Hatton, he didn't let them go against De La Hoya, he didn't let them go against Baldomir and he didn't let them go against Judah. He picks his shots way too much for my taste and if he does that with Manny, he'll DEFINITELY lose the decision.

Not for nothing, but other than Hatton, I honestly can't even remember the last time Floyd even dropped someone who was considered to be an "elite" fighter. In fact, I think you might have to go all the way back to the Corrales fight to find an "elite" fighter he was able to put on his butt. I mean...Mitchell, Gatti, Bruseles, Corley and Ndou...those aren't exactly the creme de la creme as far as fighters are concerned. While Lil Floyd was dumping those cats on their asses, Manny was dropping the likes of Marquez, Morales, Barrera, Solis, Larios and Diaz. In my opinion, the crop of guys that Manny was dropping left and right would beat that crap out of some of the "c-level" fighters that Floyd was dropping.

Don't get me wrong...I'm definitely not discrediting Floyd's skills and I know he's the toughest challenge out there for any fighter, but likewise, I think Manny would be the toughest challenge that Floyd has ever faced. Manny may not have had to face a guy as fast as Floyd, but I don't think Floyd has had to face anyone as fast as Manny. Zab Judah is probably the closest in terms of speed and I think his speed was frustrating Floyd a bit in the first few rounds, but Zab's a dumb fighter who never has a gameplan and relies on that stupid uppercut to knock people out. Manny Pacquiao brings much more to the ring than Zab Judah.

I think he'll HAVE to put on a FANTASTIC display against Juan Manuel Marquez if he hopes to still command the lion's share of the purse. He's going to have to look like he did against Gatti...like he did against Corrales...and quite frankly, I'm skeptical as to whether or not he'll be able to do that against Marquez.

We'll see though. I definitely can't wait for July 18th.

As for Mayweather vs. Pacquiao though...well...I don't even think that fight will become a reality until 2010 so a lot is going to happen between now and then.

The person I feel bad for is poor ol' Shane Mosley...my man is just waiting and waiting and WAITING for someone to step up to the plate to face him and yet no one will (especially since Arum is now talking about making Pacquiao vs. Cotto). Hopefully Mayweather will go that route after the Marquez fight (because again, I really doubt Arum is going to make the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather fight).
thehype
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 5 2009, 09:27 PM) *
I don't hate Pacman, I was actually talking about this with my dad and brother. I said that I don't hate him, and he comes across as a nice and humble guy, I just want to see him lose, lol.

I can't lie...it is always fun to see a fighter who's adored so much take a loss. Kind of like when Roy got clipped...I didn't hate Roy and I was honestly STUNNED when he got knocked out by Tarver...but man, that was great! LOL. That's what we watch boxing for...to see the unexpected. LOL.

QUOTE (Fitz @ May 5 2009, 09:27 PM) *
Stevenski, where would you rate Floyd if he beats Pacquaio very easily, and would you still think he is in Leonard and Duran territory if he gets beaten by Floyd comfortably?

In my opinion, Floyd will definitely be remembered as one of the greats. In all honesty, you don't necessarily have to be the best fighter in order to be remembered as an all-time great. I never thought Rocky Mariciano was that great of a fighter, but he's definitely an all-time great. Floyd will be one too just by virtue of how much he's talked about. As for Pacquiao, if he were to get beat by Floyd comfortably, I don't see why Stevenski would change his opinion of him. After all, didn't Duran get clobbered by Hagler? LOL. I think Pacquiao, like Floyd, will definitely be remembered as an all-time great as well. Both of those guys have accomplished a lot in their careers and have given us some spectacular moments in boxing (Pacquiao a lot more than Floyd).
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 02:27 AM) *
I don't hate Pacman, I was actually talking about this with my dad and brother. I said that I don't hate him, and he comes across as a nice and humble guy, I just want to see him lose, lol.
Stevenski, where would you rate Floyd if he beats Pacquaio very easily, and would you still think he is in Leonard and Duran territory if he gets beaten by Floyd comfortably?

I know you want to see him lose about as much as I want to see PBF lose.

If Floyd beat Pac easily his stock would rise but nowhere near as much as Pac's stock would if he beats PBF. That is not down to hate but down to overcoming natural size & weight differentials. If PBF beat Pac he would be doing what he was supposed to & get due credit for that.

It is like Duran losing to Hagler. Haglers stock rose due to the quality of Duran but if Duran had won it would be a far greater accomplishment & be historically recognized as such.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ May 5 2009, 05:44 PM) *
I actually think Pac's speed and combination punching will be a real problem for Floyd. Pac is every bit the offensive fighter that Floyd is the defensive fighter.

The key for Floyd will actually be his straight right, and I can see him landing it with frequency as the fight wears on.

Floyd's the best defensive fighter in the sport in at least 20 years AND his natural frame outweighs Pac's by at least 20 pounds.

If, logically speaking, you're comparing the very best defense in the sport with the very best offense, it would make sense that the very BEST offense could knock any defense out with one punch, which I can't see happening. I just can't see Floyd getting careless enough to get hit cleanly by a huge straight punch on the chin. And even if he is caught clean, I'm not at all sure that with a tucked chin that it would even be a given that it could knock him out. Floyd's too much bigger and stronger. It's a size thing.

We agree on Floyd's straight right being the key. Because this fight will be ended on that punch.

STEVENSKI
Thats funny Hype mentions Hagler vs Duran the same time I do. I guess great minds & all.....................
JD
QUOTE (salvador @ May 5 2009, 09:45 PM) *
Floyd's the best defensive fighter in the sport in at least 20 years AND his natural frame outweighs Pac's by at least 20 pounds.

If, logically speaking, you're comparing the very best defense in the sport with the very best offense, it would make sense that the very BEST offense could knock any defense out with one punch, which I can't see happening. I just can't see Floyd getting careless enough to get hit cleanly by a huge straight punch on the chin. And even if he is caught clean, I'm not at all sure that with a tucked chin that it would even be a given that it could knock him out. Floyd's too much bigger and stronger. It's a size thing.

We agree on Floyd's straight right being the key. Because this fight will be ended on that punch.

I don't think this fight would end in a KO either way. I think Pac's offense would be most effective filling in the dead spots when Floyd is focused on defense and landing one shot at a time countering. I don't think Pacquiao would need to land a huge straight shot on the chin to be effective...I think his combination punching, rambunctiousness, speed and activity would impress judges, even if he isn't landing clean.

As an aside, I am not sure Floyd is better defensively than Hopkins.
thehype
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 5 2009, 09:48 PM) *
Thats funny Hype mentions Hagler vs Duran the same time I do. I guess great minds & all.....................

Hell...I mentioned Hagler, but a better example would have been Hearns mollywhoppin him.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 5 2009, 09:42 PM) *
That's not fair hype. You say Floyd hasn't dropped the creme de la creme which I agree with, but you should have just mentioned Morales, Barrera and Marquez. If you are going to say that, I don't know how you can mention Solis, Larios and Diaz laugh.gif

I only mentioned Solis, Larios and Diaz because they're basically on par with Gatti, Bruseles and Corley...in other words, not only is Manny dumping the "c-level" fighters on their butts, but he's dropping the "elite" fighters too...something that Floyd hasn't really done in a long, long time. I'm just not so sure Floyd will actually be able to knockout Pacquiao as easily as some people may think.
The CEO
QUOTE (thehype @ May 5 2009, 04:17 PM) *

Yep...I said it...Manny Pacquiao by Split Decision.

If Floyd actually let his hands go like he used to back in the day (or like he did when he fought Gatti), then I'd pick him hands down. Unfortunately, he's become way too defensive for my liking. Floyd should have been able to beat Hatton and De La Hoya the same way that Pacquiao beat the crap out of them, but because he's become a "defense first" fighter, those fights went on way longer than they should have...and as such, he makes himself susceptible to losing rounds depending on who's judging them. Case in point, his fight with De La Hoya! Personally, I thought Floyd won that fight fairly easy...at least 8 rounds to 4...and yet, a lot of people...and I mean A LOT of people, actually thought it was either a draw or that De La Hoya should have got the nod (which he did with one of those senile judges). I'm not buying into all this talk that Manny is too aggressive and blah, blah, blah...on the contrary, I think Manny has become a pretty smart fighter who knows how to stick to a gameplan and chooses when to engage and when to stay away. I definitely don't think he'll be coming right at Floyd (a la Hatton and De La Hoya). I think he'll be in and out...pick his shots...flurry when he needs to...and will probably win rounds whether his punches are landing flush or not. I don't think either guy is going to knock the other out and if it goes to the scorecards, I think a lot of judges will favor the things that Pacquiao does in the fight over the things that Mayweather does.

So yeah...Manny Pacquiao by Split Decision (expect a rematch not long after that Mayweather will probably win).

And please don't get me wrong in my prediction...I'm not saying that Pacquiao will beat Mayweather up...quite frankly, with Floyd's defensive skills, that's just a task that's difficult to do. However, IF they eventually do fight, I think Manny wins the first fight on the scorecards by simply outworking him with combinations (something Floyd does less and less of)...whether those combinations actually land will be meaningless in the eyes of the judges.

You know...this is a reasonable post....with a probable outcome...I can totally see where you're comin' from...in fact...it's my least likely scenario and result....but definitely a possiblilty....

Without seeing him against Marquez....and this fight being so far in the future....it's fair to have more than one pick...I think it's either gonna be Floyd TKO 9, KO 6, UD....or Manny by SD....and that sounds about right....Manny having a 25% chance of winning....

What I really like about this post is the last part I bolded....people don't realize these guys are all around the same size...Floyd is just a little bigger....not no 20 pounds naturally bigger like I saw later on in the thread...lol

Marquez is 5' 7"...one inch taller than Pac I believe....and as you get older, you fill out....easier and better....I think it's safe to say 140 is a perfect fit for Manny right now....and I personally believe it's a perfect weight for Marquez too at this point in his career......

As far as Floyd.....I think 143, 144 would be the perfect weight for him to fight at right now....and I believe that's what they're doing....144....

Anyway....Mayweather should win that one with Marquez...and it won't prove to be near the mismatch Hatton-Pacquiao was....that's all I'm sayin'....in case you guys haven't heard that before...lol
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ May 5 2009, 08:54 PM) *
I don't think this fight would end in a KO either way.

As an aside, I am not sure Floyd is better defensively than Hopkins.

You're wrong about the KO. The more I think about this, the more I think Pac is made for Floyd. AND Pac is smaller.

I love your aside because it really gets to the heart of the matter:

The one gaping difference between Hopkins and Floyd it's their chins. Hopkins has a world class chin, Floyd doesn't.

JonnyBlaze
Fitz I know exactly what you mean about that shit..I hate very casual fans who come in acting like they know the outcome because they know one of the big names..Then when the guy you picked losses,they act like they know more than you..Makes me pissed..hahahaha..
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 12:37 AM) *
This is why I want Pacquiao to lose. I have to put up with this crap from friends who aren't even boxing fans, just Pacquiao fans and fans of boxing when it's mega fights.
These are the messages I got during the fight.

Manny coming out:

Friend 1 message: Thunder

Highlight reel of Manny:

Friend 1 message:
See manny's intro ending all those spics careers. Bout to make ricky cry

After round 1:

Friend 1 message: Fuck you both

After round 2:

1 missed call (I did not answer)

Friend 1 message (10 seconds later): Good night

Friend 2 message: You'd think with all the boxing you've watched over the years you would learn your lesson

Friend 3 message (Later that night): By the way- the replay of 'the pride of phillipenes' is about to start! Pac man.......Eat a dick

I replied to him saying I recorded the fight anyways

Friend 3 message: You only recorded it so you can watch the man bash all your south american hero's- shut the fuck up, just worry about the plague of swine flu in your region, get back in quarantine you lesbian cunt.

This is what I have to put up with, and I always get messages about Pacquiao beating all the spics every couple of months, probably when they finish watching a Pacquiao fight on dvd, lol.

Hey Fitz i now exactly how you feel. These pac nutthuggers got to be the most annoying piece of sh*t fans i have ever seen they know nothing about boxing it use to get to me a bit but i've learned to brush it off. The way i look at it is Manny is the complete opposite of these type of fans. I appreciate him as a fighter and a good person. Those fans though can go to hell.
King Eugene
Its funny how you have all these nuthugging bandwagon fans. Since Pavliks lost to Hopkins his fans disappeared and same goes for Margarito. A lot of people liked the fighter until the fans went and ruined it with all of their nutt bear huggery! I'm sure next year there will be another fighter with the same type of bear hugs on the nutts and the fans will be going crazy til he lose.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 02:41 AM) *
My mates make me laugh because they just try to piss me off, but I have looked bad to them. Especially when I told them that DLH would beat Manny, of course I didn't think DLH would be a dead walking corps and it's hard to explain to newbies what losing a couple of lbs may do to a fighter, they usually don't realise that a little bit of weight can make the world of difference, lol.

I got frustrated with my uncle this past weekend trying to explain that to him as well about the DLH fight. I was just like fuck it...watch Ricky whoop that ass. And what do ya know...he whooped Ricky's ass too. I just didn't say nothing else lol
JonnyBlaze
What is happening is the same thing that happened to everyone with Mayweather too..You wanted to go against him and it always kicked you in the ass when he won with ease..You gotta just learn ya can't go against this guy again..Yet,who are we going to go against when it comes down to this superfight if it ever happens..I have to go against Pac-man,which is a rare thing for me..I was going with the underdog,Hatton, in the fight just because I had a feeling an upset might happen..Maybe I was a week off though(Dawson/Tarver)..hahahaha..Yet,I may be a couple months off..Who knows but I have a feeling we might get a huge upset sooner than we think..Not a little one,but a big one..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 01:57 AM) *
I won't go against Pacquiao again, the guys I will only pick against him from now on will be Mayweather, Cotto and Mosley but unfortunately it's pretty much a certainty that he will fight one of those 3 guys from now on, lol.

Of these 3,Pac-man would have the best chance against Mosley..Mosley is unpredictable in the way that he fights these days it seems..He put on an amazing fight against Margarito but he did fuck himself over in the Mayorga and Cotto fight when he thought it was a good idea to fight their fight and try to punch it out with them..Cotto seems a little broken in my opinion these days..He is not as strong mentally as he was(in my opinion)..I really hope he proves me wrong though cause he earned my respect when I didn't like him at all..I'm a fan of his and hope he doesn't turn to the dark side..hahaha..

I'd pick Mayweather over him and it'd be a toss up with him and Cotto..I'd go with Pac-man against Mosley though..
The Original MrFactor
I'm going with Pacquiao. I think it'll go to the cards. I think Pacquiao will outwork mayweather. Mayweather will be the one backing up and potshotting while Manny's faster hands get the best of Floyd. We've seen it before. Zab was a faster better guy for 4 rounds. Manny will be that guy for 12 rounds.

I thought Floyd had trouble adapting to Zabs speed, power and left handedness. He'll have all the same problems with Pacquiao, who I think is leagues better than Judah.

On Marquez... Floyd will be fighting the best fighter he has ever fought. he willbe in for a shock, when it goes to the cards and they raise the hand of JMM by SD. If this one is close, its going to Marquez. Too many people want Mayweather to lose, so he will not get the close rounds. Marquez is THAT good to keep it close enough to sneak away with a win. Everybody who thinks this is gonna be a Gatti-esque blowout is crazy...
BigG
Zab's handspeed is quicker than Manny's (yes, it's true) but he ain't Manny like Hype said....Mayweather-Pac will be an awesome fight. Pacquiao WILL have the hand speed advantage like Judah did but Manny is so much better than Zab is.
Mean Mister Mustard
Man Fitz, your friends sound like asshloles.
Mean Mister Mustard
LOL good times I bet.
JD
QUOTE (salvador @ May 5 2009, 11:12 PM) *
You're wrong about the KO. The more I think about this, the more I think Pac is made for Floyd. AND Pac is smaller.

I love your aside because it really gets to the heart of the matter:

The one gaping difference between Hopkins and Floyd it's their chins. Hopkins has a world class chin, Floyd doesn't.

Maybe I am...I just do not see a KO here. If Floyd wins, he will do so by picking his spots...if Pacquiao wins, he will do so by being more active. In the end, I think the judges are going to make all the difference.

Hopkins chin is all time status, Floyd's chin hasn't really been tested - but I did see him buckled by Chop Chop Corley, which obviously makes me believe B-Hop has the far better chin.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ May 6 2009, 07:10 AM) *
Maybe I am...I just do not see a KO here. If Floyd wins, he will do so by picking his spots...if Pacquiao wins, he will do so by being more active. In the end, I think the judges are going to make all the difference.

Hopkins chin is all time status, Floyd's chin hasn't really been tested - but I did see him buckled by Chop Chop Corley, which obviously makes me believe B-Hop has the far better chin.

If you were going to design an opponent for Floyd, that opponent would be hyper-aggressive, would come in throwing bombs and combinations, and would be 15-20 pounds smaller. Floyd's going to have so many holes to shoot through from the opening bell and I really don't think Pac's going to be able to hurt him.
JD
QUOTE (salvador @ May 6 2009, 08:29 AM) *
If you were going to design an opponent for Floyd, that opponent would be hyper-aggressive, would come in throwing bombs and combinations, and would be 15-20 pounds smaller. Floyd's going to have so many holes to shoot through from the opening bell and I really don't think Pac's going to be able to hurt him.

I dont see the 15 - 20 pounds you speak of (maybe 5 pounds on fight night), and I also don't see Floyd as the same guy that was fighting at 130 and even 135. He throws less punches and is a lot more flat footed.

Floyd will land his straight right, but Pacquiao will score points on activity. If Judah could do work offensively, I think Pac can as well.

Now understand, I have not even made a pick and will not do so until I see Mayweather - Marquez, but at this point, I think it is crazy to look at this fight as a mortal lock.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ May 6 2009, 07:37 AM) *
I dont see the 15 - 20 pounds you speak of (maybe 5 pounds on fight night), and I also don't see Floyd as the same guy that was fighting at 130 and even 135. He throws less punches and is a lot more flat footed.

Floyd will land his straight right, but Pacquiao will score points on activity. If Judah could do work offensively, I think Pac can as well.

Now understand, I have not even made a pick and will not do so until I see Mayweather - Marquez, but at this point, I think it is crazy to look at this fight as a mortal lock.

I think Floyd's best, most natural weight right now is around 147 whereas I think Pac's best, most natural weight is around 130-135. I just think their frames are different sizes.

Floyd's a much different fighter at 147 than he was at 130 because of his chin. I'm not saying Floyd's going to go back to how he fought Corrales, because Floyd's not nearly as willing to jump in and leave himself exposed when he can sit back in the pocket and pick guys off with short quick shots. But the thing is, just like with Floyd's fight with Hatton, Floyd won't have to be offensive minded because he's going to have so many opportunities to hurt Pac coming in with quick shots that will, I believe, inevitably lead to wide open right hand shots.

I don't think the Marquez fight will give us a ton of insight into the Pac fight because Marquez won't be attacking Floyd - at least not until the later rounds. Floyd will be more tactical, though he'll still get the ko at some point just based on the size difference.

Judah's a bigger puncher than Pac, and we saw how timid Judah got in the later rounds after eating all those jabs.

I suppose I'm crazy, because I absolutely believe this fight is a mortal lock.
D-MARV
I don't know about the chins but Hopkins was buckled and put down twice against Mercado... Personally there is no way you can determine the two chins because both fighters have elite defense and never really been hit flush. Floyd took a really good punch from Judah and responded pretty well
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.