Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THE MAYWEATHER /PACQUIAO DOUBLE STANDARD
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Sugar Q
Dude Nailed this so hard I had to share this one just in case haters missed it:

Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has won titles in five weight classes, 130, 135, 140, 147, 154, yet none of his ring accomplishments are without criticism from the boxing media. During the Hatton-Pacquiao telecast for instance, Larry Merchant, in reference to Mayweather’s return to boxing, went on a tirade accusing Floyd of cherrypicking opponents, pricing himself out of fights, and flat out ducking fighters. Yet an obvious fact such as Pacquiao facing an opponent Mayweather has already defeated is never mentioned. It also seemed to fall under the radar that Mayweather had already defeated Pacquiao’s previous opponent Oscar De La Hoya as well.

The irony is that Pacquiao’s claim to being the undisputed best is largely based on these two fights. For the past few years, boxing writers, reporters, diehard fans, and media personalities have adopted an infamous view that Hatton and De La Hoya were merely cherry picked opponents, simply diversions while Mayweather avoided challenges from welterweights Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, and Antonio Margarito; yet these same two opponents are considered grand slam victories for Pacquiao; victories that prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is pound-for-pound the best fighter in the world. How can this be if they were previously declared “cherries?”

Though Pacquiao’s supporters would argue that his wins over Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, and Juan Manuel Marquez catapulted him to this status it was not sealed until Mayweather officially retired in 2008 and Pacquiao went on to defeat De La Hoya later the same year. Pacquiao certainly deserves credit for his victories over such a famous trio of Mexican warriors but in terms of a young fighter establishing himself--climbing the ladder, who can argue that Mayweather did not likewise defeat great fighters in the lighter weights? Surely no one would argue that Genaro Hernandez, Diego Corrales, Jesus Chavez, Angel Manfredy, Jose Luis Castillo, were cream puffs.

To further illustrate the double standard enter the #2 pound-for-pound fighter in the world Juan Manuel Marquez. Team Mayweather announced that Floyd will face Marquez on his July 18th return to the sport. He did not choose any old random contender as a tune-up but a multi-division world champion and in many observers opinion, two time conqueror of Manny Pacquiao. (Pacquiao scored a draw and a win against Marquez). The same media proponents that declared Hatton and De La Hoya “cherries” are now blasting Mayweather for taking a fight against proven champion Marquez. They argue that Marquez is too small or that Floyd knows he can beat him etc...Yet if Manny Pacquiao were to accept a third fight against Marquez, he’d be hailed as a true champion, a true warrior, the real pound-for-pound king.

So what is truly going on here? Is it a weight issue? Freddie Roach declared that Pacquiao’s optimal weight is 140 and that is where he will be at his best. Mayweather, being a small welterweight, appears to be at his best somewhere between 140 and 147. In addition, Marquez has been moving up in weight successfully and it is he who called out Mayweather at a catchweight below 147. Is 3-4 pounds really so great a difference that Mayweather has to be persecuted for accepting a fight against Marquez? Catchweights are nothing new in boxing, why is it suddenly an issue now? Assuming Mayweather defeats Marquez, will diehard fans and media raise this same 3-4 pound argument when it is Pacquiao’s turn to face Mayweather?

What is clear is that an answer to who is the best pound-for-pound can not be given based on their performance against common opponents, or their careers at the lighter weights. Both guys have been dynamic and only a battle against each other can settle the matter. It can be noted however that there is a double standard at play when it comes to Mayweather and Pacquiao. The media bashes Mayweather’s accomplishments but hail Pacquiao for achieving the same thing. Also, Freddie Roach has indicated that Pacquiao will not move up to 147 to face Mayweather however it was just fine to move up for De La Hoya. Mayweather is blasted for fighting Marquez but Pacquiao would be a hero if he did the same. What this all indicates is that it is ultimately not simply a case of Mayweather “handpicking” opponents but it is more likely his opponents who are careful about picking him.

Hopefully yall ain't on no BS up in here :-)
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 6 2009, 09:33 AM) *

Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has won titles in five weight classes, 130, 135, 140, 147, 154, yet none of his ring accomplishments are without criticism from the boxing media. During the Hatton-Pacquiao telecast for instance, Larry Merchant, in reference to Mayweather’s return to boxing, went on a tirade accusing Floyd of cherrypicking opponents, pricing himself out of fights, and flat out ducking fighters. Yet an obvious fact such as Pacquiao facing an opponent Mayweather has already defeated is never mentioned. It also seemed to fall under the radar that Mayweather had already defeated Pacquiao’s previous opponent Oscar De La Hoya as well.

The irony is that Pacquiao’s claim to being the undisputed best is largely based on these two fights. For the past few years, boxing writers, reporters, diehard fans, and media personalities have adopted an infamous view that Hatton and De La Hoya were merely cherry picked opponents, simply diversions while Mayweather avoided challenges from welterweights Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, and Antonio Margarito; yet these same two opponents are considered grand slam victories for Pacquiao; victories that prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is pound-for-pound the best fighter in the world. How can this be if they were previously declared “cherries?”

Though Pacquiao’s supporters would argue that his wins over Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, and Juan Manuel Marquez catapulted him to this status it was not sealed until Mayweather officially retired in 2008 and Pacquiao went on to defeat De La Hoya later the same year. Pacquiao certainly deserves credit for his victories over such a famous trio of Mexican warriors but in terms of a young fighter establishing himself--climbing the ladder, who can argue that Mayweather did not likewise defeat great fighters in the lighter weights? Surely no one would argue that Genaro Hernandez, Diego Corrales, Jesus Chavez, Angel Manfredy, Jose Luis Castillo, were cream puffs.

To further illustrate the double standard enter the #2 pound-for-pound fighter in the world Juan Manuel Marquez. Team Mayweather announced that Floyd will face Marquez on his July 18th return to the sport. He did not choose any old random contender as a tune-up but a multi-division world champion and in many observers opinion, two time conqueror of Manny Pacquiao. (Pacquiao scored a draw and a win against Marquez). The same media proponents that declared Hatton and De La Hoya “cherries” are now blasting Mayweather for taking a fight against proven champion Marquez. They argue that Marquez is too small or that Floyd knows he can beat him etc...Yet if Manny Pacquiao were to accept a third fight against Marquez, he’d be hailed as a true champion, a true warrior, the real pound-for-pound king.

So what is truly going on here? Is it a weight issue? Freddie Roach declared that Pacquiao’s optimal weight is 140 and that is where he will be at his best. Mayweather, being a small welterweight, appears to be at his best somewhere between 140 and 147. In addition, Marquez has been moving up in weight successfully and it is he who called out Mayweather at a catchweight below 147. Is 3-4 pounds really so great a difference that Mayweather has to be persecuted for accepting a fight against Marquez? Catchweights are nothing new in boxing, why is it suddenly an issue now? Assuming Mayweather defeats Marquez, will diehard fans and media raise this same 3-4 pound argument when it is Pacquiao’s turn to face Mayweather?

What is clear is that an answer to who is the best pound-for-pound can not be given based on their performance against common opponents, or their careers at the lighter weights. Both guys have been dynamic and only a battle against each other can settle the matter. It can be noted however that there is a double standard at play when it comes to Mayweather and Pacquiao. The media bashes Mayweather’s accomplishments but hail Pacquiao for achieving the same thing. Also, Freddie Roach has indicated that Pacquiao will not move up to 147 to face Mayweather however it was just fine to move up for De La Hoya. Mayweather is blasted for fighting Marquez but Pacquiao would be a hero if he did the same. What this all indicates is that it is ultimately not simply a case of Mayweather “handpicking” opponents but it is more likely his opponents who are careful about picking him.

Hopefully yall ain't on no BS up in here :-)

The big problem is people don't like Floyd as a person. Have you ever really disliked someone you worked with? If so, you know that everything they do is magnified. Floyd is not a likeable person to most. I think he is just being the way he is because contraversy sells. Also, people want to see him fight Cotto, who by the way turned down the chance to fight Floyd because he felt he wasn't ready yet. Floyd brings out the worst in people with the way he acts and some of the things he says. However, the man can flat out fight and is as smart as anyone in the game. I think if he had Manny's personality he would be just as celebrated if not more than Manny.
D-MARV
What it comes down too is Floyd plays the villian... People hate his guts and people want to see floyd get KO'd...

Another reason why I have no problem with a 50-50 split if the 2 were to meet.
thisneverworks
I agree with whoever wrote that as well. People seem to be unable to separate Floyd the person and Floyd the fighter but there is no denying his accomplishments.

If you compare him to his uncle and father though he actually seems to be one of the more modest Mayweathers, and clearly the most skilled (at least until Lehkei comes along wink.gif).
Michigan Assassin
Let's also not mention that Manny had to go up in weight several divisions to fight these cherry picked fighters.

Lil Floyd made Hatton come up to 147 where he had only had a fight or two and looked like shit at that weight.

Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 6 2009, 10:33 AM) *

Yep.

There's been a double standard WRT PBF for some time now with HBO leading the way.

Shameful...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (thisneverworks @ May 6 2009, 11:42 AM) *
I agree with whoever wrote that as well. People seem to be unable to separate Floyd the person and Floyd the fighter but there is no denying his accomplishments.

If you compare him to his uncle and father though he actually seems to be one of the more modest Mayweathers, and clearly the most skilled (at least until Lehkei comes along wink.gif).

I had a hard time doing this,but I eventually did separate him in the ring from outside..He deserves credit for what he has done..Yet,when ya hear him talking outside the ring,I'm sure we all want to beat his ass(if we could) or see his ass beaten..
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Michigan Assassin @ May 6 2009, 12:14 PM) *
Let's also not mention that Manny had to go up in weight several divisions to fight these cherry picked fighters.

What the hell are you talking about?

Floyd is a natural lightweight - yet he beat Oscar @ 154 lbs and is the linear WW champion....
Douchebag
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ May 6 2009, 01:28 PM) *

Floyd is a natural lightweight - yet he beat Oscar @ 154 lbs and is the linear WW champion....

Theres A LOT of unfinished business at WW and Floyd has to take at part of the blame for why there is no true recognized champ at that weight.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (The Conscience @ May 6 2009, 01:40 PM) *
Theres A LOT of unfinished business at WW and Floyd has to take at part of the blame for why there is no true recognized champ at that weight.

There's that double standard sh-- again. If you don't think Pacquiao has unfinished business then you need to talk to Marquez. Floyd don't have any controversial wins on his record that haven't been handled. Bob Arum should take all the blame for the 147 BS. He wont even let pac face Shane or PBF right now.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 6 2009, 01:45 PM) *
There's that double standard sh-- again. If you don't think Pacquiao has unfinished business then you need to talk to Marquez. Floyd don't have any controversial wins on his record that haven't been handled.

Wow wow wow. Easy Tiger. LOL The Mayweather nutswinging has come to a halt. Holy Shit! LOL! I was simply say that there is no true champ there hasn't been one at WW because of how Mayweather himself chose to handle his business. Floyd doesn't have a team around him that tells him who he is going to fight next. No, Floyd does what he wants, when he wants and thus any criticism he gets is warranted because it came from him. Manny fights whom they put in front of him, just like most other fighters but Floyd is a one man show so he doesn't have the luxury of passing the buck to his handlers because he doen't have any. My original point is that after Floyd Baldi he didn't fight any of other belt holder and retired with out doing. And now that he is back the WW division is just one big cluster fuck. Get it. You are by far the most loyal Mayweather fan I have ever encountered. If he doesn't have you on payroll, he should.
gbh32001
TS:In what manner Floyd beat up Oscar and hatton? If you agree that Floyd and Manny beat them at thesame rating then you can justify your double standard arguments. But if you say atleast in your heart that Manny beat them into a pulp and Floyd is contemplating for Split Decision and with the aid of the referee able to twat hatton in an almost losing battle then all the media and writers across the boxing world are unanimously right. You are right in saying that Floyd is the greatest boxer of all time but what you don't understand is, there is no greatness in him. Great boxer fights to the highest level of competition and Floyd never fought against the best at LWW and WW division. Mannyu on the other hand beat all the HOF from 122 to 147. That is greatness. Floyd is great but there is no substance in it. Manny is great and he deliver it in abundance.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (The Conscience @ May 6 2009, 12:40 PM) *

Floyd is the true recognized champ @ WW. His title's lineage goes all the way back to the winner of DLH Mosley I. He is the man who beat the man who beat the man etc....
Douchebag
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ May 6 2009, 02:06 PM) *

Floyd is the true recognized champ @ WW. His title's lineage goes all the way back to the winner of DLH Mosley I. He is the man who beat the man who beat the man etc....

Yeah but then he retired without fighting any of the other champs leaving the division one giant cluster fuck.
ClubberLang
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ May 6 2009, 08:57 PM) *
TS:In what manner Floyd beat up Oscar and hatton? If you agree that Floyd and Manny beat them at thesame rating then you can justify your double standard arguments. But if you say atleast in your heart that Manny beat them into a pulp and Floyd is contemplating for Split Decision and with the aid of the referee able to twat hatton in an almost losing battle then all the media and writers across the boxing world are unanimously right. You are right in saying that Floyd is the greatest boxer of all time but what you don't understand is, there is no greatness in him. Great boxer fights to the highest level of competition and Floyd never fought against the best at LWW and WW division. Mannyu on the other hand beat all the HOF from 122 to 147. That is greatness. Floyd is great but there is no substance in it. Manny is great and he deliver it in abundance.

These are some of the dumbest comments I have ever read. Manny beat all the HOF from 122 to 147? I wont even dignify that with a comment. Did he beat them when they were great? EM, ODLH & RH were all passed there prime or not what they once were. Thats like saying that Calzaghe beating RJJ was a big deal 8 years after Roy's prime. Last time I checked all media did not say the referee aided Floyd or that he won a SD over Oscar. Maybe you and your boys did but not the true boxing writers I have seen. PBF ruined Hatton for everyone. Remember the LAzcano fight? He also went up in weight to beat Oscar for the 154lb title just like Manny went up to fight Oscar for no title. U seem to forget Corrales, Hernandez, Castillo, etc... Last time I checked they were HOF or pretty damn close and they were beat quite easily as I recall. So I guess if you say Floyd never fought the best at LWW and WW(he beat the linear champ last time I checked) then I guess u say the same for Manny and his 135lb Diaz sparring session right? Oh and how can u not fight to the highest level of competition if you are undefeated and a 5 division champ? Yeah that dont make no sense to anyone including u. The bottom line is that both Manny and Floyd are great fighters and the best fighters in the world bare none. To impose a dbl standard on either one is just wrong. Manny is the best offensive fighter in the sport hands down and Floyd is the best defensive and all around fighter in the world hands down. Floyds attitude should not be figured in to whether he is the most skilled boxer or not. I am not down with that thug garbage but u cant find a fighter with a better O, D or all around ring generalship as Floyd and if u can then ur either lying or u dont know boxing.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (ClubberLang @ May 6 2009, 12:46 PM) *
These are some of the dumbest comments I have ever read. Manny beat all the HOF from 122 to 147? I wont even dignify that with a comment. Did he beat them when they were great? EM, ODLH & RH were all passed there prime or not what they once were. Thats like saying that Calzaghe beating RJJ was a big deal 8 years after Roy's prime. Last time I checked all media did not say the referee aided Floyd or that he won a SD over Oscar. Maybe you and your boys did but not the true boxing writers I have seen. PBF ruined Hatton for everyone. Remember the LAzcano fight? He also went up in weight to beat Oscar for the 154lb title just like Manny went up to fight Oscar for no title. U seem to forget Corrales, Hernandez, Castillo, etc... Last time I checked they were HOF or pretty damn close and they were beat quite easily as I recall. So I guess if you say Floyd never fought the best at LWW and WW(he beat the linear champ last time I checked) then I guess u say the same for Manny and his 135lb Diaz sparring session right? Oh and how can u not fight to the highest level of competition if you are undefeated and a 5 division champ? Yeah that dont make no sense to anyone including u. The bottom line is that both Manny and Floyd are great fighters and the best fighters in the world bare none. To impose a dbl standard on either one is just wrong. Manny is the best offensive fighter in the sport hands down and Floyd is the best defensive and all around fighter in the world hands down. Floyds attitude should not be figured in to whether he is the most skilled boxer or not. I am not down with that thug garbage but u cant find a fighter with a better O, D or all around ring generalship as Floyd and if u can then ur either lying or u dont know boxing.

Thank you. Again, people don't give Floyd credit because of his attitude. If he were like Manny or Ricky he would be celebrated and respected a lot more. Right now, i don't see anyone with the skill set to beat Floyd except maybe Paul William. But then again, Floyd murders bigger opponents.
Jack 1000
When a fighter such as Floyd is hated as a person for his arrogance and trash-talk, he often has to work two to three times as hard to win over fans with strong performances. It could also be that Floyd's fights, spare Castillo I and Hatton are not exciting to watch. You have a conceited guy who acts like a prick outside the ring, a boring fighter in most cases, a non-puncher, and nothing really charismatic or exciting about him. All of these "problems" figure into the assessment of Floyd Mayweather more than him being a very skilled boxer with an undefeated record. A punch plus a charismatic personality, where you back up what you say in the ring is what most people want to see in boxing these days. Not trash-talking bullshit where the fighter does not deliver. You can be somewhat forgiven if you are a fighter with a dominating punch and a feared personality who sells tickets. Tyson was probably the best example of this.

The problem is other than box well with good athletic skills, Floyd doesn't know how to market himself to the public. That trash-talk bullshit without backing it up in the ring gets old, quick. Many boxing people and fans simply find Floyd Mayweather a boring trash-talker without a punch. And those attributes just don't sell in boxing today.

Jack
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 6 2009, 03:48 PM) *
When a fighter such as Floyd is hated as a person for his arrogance and trash-talk, he often has to work two to three times as hard to win over fans with strong performances. It could also be that Floyd's fights, spare Castillo I and Hatton are not exciting to watch. You have a conceited guy who acts like a prick outside the ring, a boring fighter in most cases, a non-puncher, and nothing really charismatic or exciting about him. All of these "problems" figure into the assessment of Floyd Mayweather more than him being a very skilled boxer with an undefeated record. A punch plus a charismatic personality, where you back up what you say in the ring is what most people want to see in boxing these days. Not trash-talking bullshit where the fighter does not deliver. You can be somewhat forgiven if you are a fighter with a dominating punch and a feared personality who sells tickets. Tyson was probably the best example of this.

The problem is other than box well with good athletic skills, Floyd doesn't know how to market himself to the public. That trash-talk bullshit without backing it up in the ring gets old, quick. Many boxing people and fans simply find Floyd Mayweather a boring trash-talker without a punch. And those attributes just don't sell in boxing today.

Jack

You have points but this is not a personality contest. It takes a hell of a guy to get between those ropes and to come out successful it takes even more. Based on some of what you said we wouldn't be able to pay homage to great fighters like Willie Pep, Wilfredo Benitez, Pernell Whittaker, etc. Not the most exciting fighters but HOF technicians. Every fighter is not gonna be hit me and I'll hit you and I doubt if the fans who wanna see action are contributing to fighters who are injured for their entertainment.
Floyd represents what boxing should be, a fighter who masters the art of hit and not get hit. Muhammad Ali's big mouth put boxing on the map. Floyd seems to be taking what Ali did to another level by being a defensive wizard.
gbh32001
QUOTE (ClubberLang @ May 7 2009, 02:46 AM) *
laugh.gif Everytime Manny beat a legend/HOF they were passed their prime haha.gif EM won in their first match(Murad cheat Manny on this occasion) then Knock him out cold in the 2nd and third and yes he was washed up after that.LOL.(what an idiot perception,Manny and EM are almost at thesame age)MAB was on his prime when he beat the shit out of him and MAB go on to beat d best at his division. He beat JMM and make his face like crimson in just one round, RH done better in that particular first round LOL.Though JMM as brilliant as he was schooled a one dimensional Pacman to earned a draw by the virtue of d judge error. Manny learned to box and escape a thin air SD in their comeback fight.Then Manny beat MAB in their rematch in a one sided performance where Manny trained only in 6 weeks. He sparred 9 rounds with DD in a most brutal sparring session.LOL.Floyd manage to skip a SD to Oskee then Oskee went on to beat the loud mouth Forbes and suddenly after a couple of months when Manny battered him become washed up.LOL.Then comes Ricky Hatton, after a gallant performance with light feather fisted Paulie go on to to kiss the canvass in the first round with Manny,LOLthen they were washed up...One thing you don't know about boxing is..When a legend beat by a legend he will never be once he was. Now go back to your research and find out how Floyd epitomized the so called boxing, last time I check he is the most boring and coward fighter in the history of the sport. Learn your boxing boy,eat enough before you come here to brag your knowledge...
Box in Hand
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ May 6 2009, 02:33 PM) *
laugh.gif Everytime Manny beat a legend/HOF they were passed their prime haha.gif EM won in their first match(Murad cheat Manny on this occasion) then Knock him out cold in the 2nd and third and yes he was washed up after that.LOL.(what an idiot perception,Manny and EM are almost at thesame age)MAB was on his prime when he beat the shit out of him and MAB go on to beat d best at his division. He beat JMM and make his face like crimson in just one round, RH done better in that particular first round LOL.Though JMM as brilliant as he was schooled a one dimensional Pacman to earned a draw by the virtue of d judge error. Manny learned to box and escape a thin air SD in their comeback fight.Then Manny beat MAB in their rematch in a one sided performance where Manny trained only in 6 weeks. He sparred 9 rounds with DD in a most brutal sparring session.LOL.Floyd manage to skip a SD to Oskee then Oskee went on to beat the loud mouth Forbes and suddenly after a couple of months when Manny battered him become washed up.LOL.Then comes Ricky Hatton, after a gallant performance with light feather fisted Paulie go on to to kiss the canvass in the first round with Manny,LOLthen they were washed up...One thing you don't know about boxing is..When a legend beat by a legend he will never be once he was. Now go back to your research and find out how Floyd epitomized the so called boxing, last time I check he is the most boring and coward fighter in the history of the sport. Learn your boxing boy,eat enough before you come here to brag your knowledge...

I only understood the last part of your post. It seems as if you are speaking Klingon. Anyway, I doubt you can call the man or anyone who engages in sanctioned violence for a living a coward. He is what he is but the man is no coward.
gbh32001
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 7 2009, 04:12 AM) *
You have points but this is not a personality contest. It takes a hell of a guy to get between those ropes and to come out successful it takes even more. Based on some of what you said we wouldn't be able to pay homage to great fighters like Willie Pep, Wilfredo Benitez, Pernell Whittaker, etc. Not the most exciting fighters but HOF technicians. Every fighter is not gonna be hit me and I'll hit you and I doubt if the fans who wanna see action are contributing to fighters who are injured for their entertainment.
Floyd represents what boxing should be, a fighter who masters the art of hit and not get hit. Muhammad Ali's big mouth put boxing on the map. Floyd seems to be taking what Ali did to another level by being a defensive wizard.
Those boxer you've mention are willing to engage with the best of their division, while Floyd as scared as he is duck all threat behind and in front of him.That is the problem of your pretty boy, he avoided PW,Mosley,Margarito and Cotto and went to fight Gatti,Baldomir whom he recieved lesser pay. Boxing writers,experts and fans are not dumb in this category to judge Floyd as the most coward that ever laced up pair of gloves why?because he never show to the fans how good he is in the elite level of competiton but run away to spank the class B+ fighters. Double standards comes when the other fighter fought sub standard than the others and that what happened to Floyd and Manny. Manny beat RH and Oscar in a gallant show while Mayweather finish it with a snoring show. Although I admit that Floyd can beat any boxer(include the pacman) from Featherweights to LHW without any bruises on his cheek but the problem is, Floyd never dare to fight(PW,MC,SM,AM,ETC) and show them what he have.
Manny beat RH in 2, Floyd in 10, Manny beat Oscar in 8 brutal rounds, Floyd in SD...Can't you see the sub far performance by Floyd?and yet you are complaning double standard?Man, any performance did by a man is thesame performance to set a standard when a 2nd performer comes.Samething in your school final examination, your professor give you each one questionaire and you will be graded according to what you have written.
thisneverworks
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 6 2009, 03:48 PM) *
It could also be that Floyd's fights, spare Castillo I and Hatton are not exciting to watch.

I think he has had plenty of fights that were exciting to watch, but really it all depends on what the individual viewer deems exciting. For example, I loved the fight he fought against Phillip N'dou. He just sat in the pocket the entire time and fought just boxed unbelievably. Do I expect others to think that fight was "exciting"? No, but I feel it was.

I think there are prior fights that the majority would view as exciting with Corrales, Genaro Hernandez, Gatti, and Judah being a few examples.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (thisneverworks @ May 6 2009, 03:39 PM) *
I think he has had plenty of fights that were exciting to watch, but really it all depends on what the individual viewer deems exciting. For example, I loved the fight he fought against Phillip N'dou. He just sat in the pocket the entire time and fought just boxed unbelievably. Do I expect others to think that fight was "exciting"? No, but I feel it was.

I think there are prior fights that the majority would view as exciting with Corrales, Genaro Hernandez, Gatti, and Judah being a few examples.

You're absolutely correct. The N'Dou fight was brilliant. I would suggest people get his entire career and just WATCH it. He gave one hell of a performance against Gatti, Chavez, Chop Chop, Castillo, Corrales, Judah, etc.
thehype
Exactly who in the media is bashing Floyd? I must have missed all of those articles.

laugh.gif

For every fan, there is an equal and opposite hater. I really don't think there's any double standard...it's just some people think that Manny Pacquiao is the better fighter while others think that Floyd Mayweather is the better fighter...simple as that. But there is no "golden standard" that either fighter is being held up against.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (thehype @ May 6 2009, 06:09 PM) *
Exactly who in the media is bashing Floyd? I must have missed all of those articles.

laugh.gif

For every fan, there is an equal and opposite hater. I really don't think there's any double standard...it's just some people think that Manny Pacquiao is the better fighter while others think that Floyd Mayweather is the better fighter...simple as that. But there is no "golden standard" that either fighter is being held up against.

Well, Larry Merchant for one, apparently
JLUVBABY
truth is no matter how good a fighter is he will have people that find flaws or reasons not to like him...
Sugar Q
QUOTE (thehype @ May 6 2009, 06:09 PM) *

laugh.gif

Hype most of the media bashes FLoyd. I would say 75% or more of what I read is negative. It comes with the territory sometimes but it's the truth, especially online. I can't wait until this fight is made.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ May 6 2009, 04:59 PM) *
Those boxer you've mention are willing to engage with the best of their division, while Floyd as scared as he is duck all threat behind and in front of him.That is the problem of your pretty boy, he avoided PW,Mosley,Margarito and Cotto and went to fight Gatti,Baldomir whom he recieved lesser pay. Boxing writers,experts and fans are not dumb in this category to judge Floyd as the most coward that ever laced up pair of gloves why?because he never show to the fans how good he is in the elite level of competiton but run away to spank the class B+ fighters. Double standards comes when the other fighter fought sub standard than the others and that what happened to Floyd and Manny. Manny beat RH and Oscar in a gallant show while Mayweather finish it with a snoring show. Although I admit that Floyd can beat any boxer(include the pacman) from Featherweights to LHW without any bruises on his cheek but the problem is, Floyd never dare to fight(PW,MC,SM,AM,ETC) and show them what he have.
Manny beat RH in 2, Floyd in 10, Manny beat Oscar in 8 brutal rounds, Floyd in SD...Can't you see the sub far performance by Floyd?and yet you are complaning double standard?Man, any performance did by a man is thesame performance to set a standard when a 2nd performer comes.Samething in your school final examination, your professor give you each one questionaire and you will be graded according to what you have written.

My dude, has Pacquiao fought the best 135 pounder? NO
Has Pacquiao fought the best 147 pounder even though he was called out by him? NO
Didn't Shane immediately challenge Pacquiao after the Hatton fight and was turned down? YES
Is Pacquiao avoiding a 3rd fight with Marquez? YES
Has PBF called out Shane, Cotto and told Margarito to his face when he get his game up he would be glad to wax his ass? YES
So who has he ducked?
Marquez is fighting PBF because he can't get a rematch with Pacquiao.
Who did PBF fight at 130, 135, 140, 147, 154? All top rated champions at or near their primes
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 07:06 PM) *
Came in here and see that this is nothing more than a circle jerk between Floyd fans that aren't handling the rise of Pacquaio too well. Trying to lift each others morale.

Very wrong my dude. We're boxing fans. We love the Pacman too how could you not like the dude he's a little warrior. I just call it like it is. I think everybody in here is excited about boxing right now.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 07:09 PM) *
So Gatti was a top rated 140 champion or near his prime? What a stupid, stupid thing to say.

I'm not gonna even dignify that my dude. Many thought Gatti had a chance but it's easy now to say he didn't.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 07:19 PM) *
lol. How can Gatti be a top rated champion when Tszyu was the undisputed champion? Nobody thinks Marquez has a chance, the best we have got so far is that he will shock people and will be a tougher fight than most people expect. So may as well discredit that win by your logic then. Also not many thought Hatton had a chance over Mayweather either.

Wasn't the Gatti fight for the WBC title? Like the writer said if it's ok for Pac to fight Marquez why isn't ok for Floyd to fight him? Don't know about your circles but many people thought Gatti, Hatton, Zab, DLH all had a chance.
Fitz
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 7 2009, 09:25 AM) *
Wasn't the Gatti fight for the WBC title?

LMFAO
Fitz
You often said that you were not a PBF nuthugger and just a boxing fan. I never believed it, but used to give you the benefit. Now to see you trying to pass off Mayweather's 140 run as legit and beating Gatti as a feat, now I know for sure. You can no longer deny that you are a major, major, major PBF rider. After all, you discredit Pacquaio for his run at 135 for Diaz, but Diaz was actually had more right to a title than Gatti had on his at 140, LOL.
D-MARV
Shocking!!!! Another Floyd thread gone 4 pages in just a few hours...

And people actually think Manny should get 70% of the cut? LOL
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 7 2009, 12:06 AM) *
Came in here and see that this is nothing more than a circle jerk between Floyd fans that aren't handling the rise of Pacquaio too well. Trying to lift each others morale.

Man this thread is sickening to look at. Circle jerks & daisy chains galore. Nothing but nuthuggers stroking each others ego's.

QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 7 2009, 12:06 AM) *
Who did PBF fight at 130, 135, 140, 147, 154? All top rated champions at or near their primes

Classic example of the above mentioned laugh.gif .

Sugar Q is clearly high on drugs with the crap he posts. What it should say is PBF fought the best at 130 & 135 then degenerated into a industry joke by fighting guys who were well past their best such as Gatti, DLH & Mitchell or outside their weight division like Hatton or just fringe contenders bordering on bum status like Bruseles.
Fitz
I'm still stumped at how he is trying to pass Mayweather's run above 135 as fighting TOP champions in there primes or near. Gatti never was a top champion and even if he was, far from his prime. Even in his prime he was ordinary, Baldomir a top champion? Haha, he was a champion but not a top champion and DLH at 154? Yep he beat Mayorga for the title but not near his prime either or close.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 7 2009, 12:07 AM) *
Baldomir a top champion? Haha, he was a champion but not a top champion

Baldozar was large & dangerous if memory serves me correctly.
Fitz
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 7 2009, 09:39 AM) *
Shocking!!!! Another Floyd thread gone 4 pages in just a few hours...

And people actually think Manny should get 70% of the cut? LOL

I don't think 70/30, but I think he deserves the bigger purse.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 08:38 PM) *
I don't think 70/30, but I think he deserves the bigger purse.

I think 50/50 is reasonable.
King Eugene
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ May 6 2009, 08:44 PM) *
I think 50/50 is reasonable.

Me too. Or 40/40 and the winner gets the extra 20.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (3King3 @ May 6 2009, 10:35 PM) *
Me too. Or 40/40 and the winner gets the extra 20.

And if there is a KO/TKO the winner gets like an extra million on top of it.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 07:39 PM) *
You often said that you were not a PBF nuthugger and just a boxing fan. I never believed it, but used to give you the benefit. Now to see you trying to pass off Mayweather's 140 run as legit and beating Gatti as a feat, now I know for sure. You can no longer deny that you are a major, major, major PBF rider. After all, you discredit Pacquaio for his run at 135 for Diaz, but Diaz was actually had more right to a title than Gatti had on his at 140, LOL.

It's funny you spend as much time hating as I do defending (let you tell it). Your right that is some funny ish. Whether you think much of Gatti or not HBO and millions of others sure did so what you think of Gatti doesn't matter. Furthermore if Im gonna ride with a dude it'll be a dude that's 39-0 with 5 world tiltles. I'll take the Gatti win over the David Diaz win any day of the week. Nobody knows or cares about Diaz. Gatti was the face of boxing for a minute. Weak, whack ass comparison dude. Come better than that.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2009, 08:07 PM) *
I'm still stumped at how he is trying to pass Mayweather's run above 135 as fighting TOP champions in there primes or near. Gatti never was a top champion and even if he was, far from his prime. Even in his prime he was ordinary, Baldomir a top champion? Haha, he was a champion but not a top champion and DLH at 154? Yep he beat Mayorga for the title but not near his prime either or close.

Reading is fundamental my dude the quote was A TOP CHAMPION not THE TOP CHAMPION there's a difference. Meaning they were ranked top 3 in their divisions and yes Baldomir was the linear champion. What other champion was ranked above Oscar at 154 at that time? Yeah I thought so,lol.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 6 2009, 07:44 PM) *
Man this thread is sickening to look at. Circle jerks & daisy chains galore. Nothing but nuthuggers stroking each others ego's.

Classic example of the above mentioned laugh.gif .

Sugar Q is clearly high on drugs with the crap he posts. What it should say is PBF fought the best at 130 & 135 then degenerated into a industry joke by fighting guys who were well past their best such as Gatti, DLH & Mitchell or outside their weight division like Hatton or just fringe contenders bordering on bum status like Bruseles.

I don't know Stevenski. If this post ain't shit why you posting in here,lol. Nah but real talk my dude just like Mighty Mike was saying in the article how come DLH wasn't shit when PBF fought him but good enough to make Manny P4P the best. A circle jerk gotta be a dude who cant give credit where it's due.
Brad
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 7 2009, 12:33 AM) *

LMAO, how ironic, the haters might have missed it, but its pretty hard to miss you trolling about the message boards looking to hate on Pacman, hater LOL

Bro I was worried for your well-being after Pac-Hatton, the way you hated on Pac around here afterwards I thought you were ready to put a shotgun in your mouth and blow your brains out, I hope your hating has allowed you to calm down a little
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Brad @ May 6 2009, 11:13 PM) *
LMAO, how ironic, the haters might have missed it, but its pretty hard to miss you trolling about the message boards looking to hate on Pacman, hater LOL

Bro I was worried for your well-being after Pac-Hatton, the way you hated on Pac around here afterwards I thought you were ready to put a shotgun in your mouth and blow your brains out, I hope your hating has allowed you to calm down a little

Lol, nah my dude mad props to Pacman for the win. I picked Hatton but I gotta give it up Pac did what he had to do. Can't be mad at that. No hate here.
gbh32001
Sugar Q, Mayweather was criticize by all size of media and fans because he has the ability to put a good show but he did not. Meaning, we did not see yet the best of Floyd. He's so boring because even in great advantage he is content by outpointing his opponent rather than walk through with them.
But I doubt he can show his ability to adjust with Manny. Ricky Hatton beat Mayweather in the first half of their encounter even with the referee is in Ricky's skin all through out, how much more Manny will do damage against his pretty face for the whole 12 rounds?Imagine that my friend, Floyd will be called Pretty Boy no more but become Pity Boy laugh.gif
Sugar Q
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ May 6 2009, 11:19 PM) *
Sugar Q, Mayweather was criticize by all size of media and fans because he has the ability to put a good show but he did not. Meaning, we did not see yet the best of Floyd. He's so boring because even in great advantage he is content by outpointing his opponent rather than walk through with them.
But I doubt he can show his ability to adjust with Manny. Ricky Hatton beat Mayweather in the first half of their encounter even with the referee is in Ricky's skin all through out, how much more Manny will do damage against his pretty face for the whole 12 rounds?Imagine that my friend, Floyd will be called Pretty Boy no more but become Pity Boy laugh.gif

I think PBF will fight in the pocket in this comeback cause he's fighting guys his own size so I think your gonna see a more vicious PBF this time around similar to the way he fought Gatti.
torvix2000
LOL! Mayweather is a woman. She should make up his mind. Great or not. Money or broke. Whatever. With all her talents in the world... or at least what she claims she have. Would it be easy for her to simply fight bums like Corrales, Castillo, Zab, Cotto, Williams, DLH, Pacquiao, Marquez in a span of two years, get all the money she can get, and then simply call it quits as a real great.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 7 2009, 02:52 AM) *
Gatti was the face of boxing for a minute.

No he wasn't. He never was the face of boxing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.