Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacman/Hatton
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Al Hata

Anybody notice boxing getting a lot more pub after this fight?

I go to a lot of internet communities and forums through the day and I see more and more boxing conversations since the fight. Maybe it's just more boxing fans coming out of their hibernation.

Any of you guys notice this? Maybe this is just typical after a high profile KO but I'm hoping that the conversations I'm seeing are here to stay. However I feel that boxing won't truly be back until the heavyweight divison does, but that may never happen.
Lil-lightsout
This is the only boxing forum I visit. The only other website about boxing I go on is fightnews.com. But I do agree that if the heavyweight division was in better shape, more of the general public would follow boxing. Plus the rise of MMA has maybe hurt boxing.
JLUVBABY
so goes the heavyweights goes boxing...
Imperius3
I noticed some people around the pool hall talking about it the other night. That was rare...
torvix2000
We need annihilation in boxing. Kinda like what Mike Tyson was dishing out when he got the chance.
dbdbdb
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ May 7 2009, 01:25 AM) *
I noticed some people around the pool hall talking about it the other night. That was rare...

Didn't know we had another shark on the forum -- I play just about every weekend.
{Fav.Cues Mcdermott & Predator}

QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 7 2009, 01:33 AM) *
We need annihilation in boxing. Kinda like what Mike Tyson was dishing out when he got the chance.

I think that's what gets peoples attention .. KO's

I've noticed that people are happier after paying out those big bucks when they watch someone get KTFO. They don't care if its in the first round or the last ... Just someone KO somebody. They're less happy when they witness a boxing exibition.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 7 2009, 06:33 AM) *

That is what Pac brings to the table. I cannot remember a boring fight he has been in. Even when it goes the distance it is exciting because he always exchanges heavy leather.
King Eugene
Hardcore fans pay for a boxing exhibition. Casual fans pay for slugfest and brutal KO's. Thats the only thing that entertains them.
Imperius3
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ May 7 2009, 12:57 AM) *
Didn't know we had another shark on the forum -- I play just about every weekend.
{Fav.Cues Mcdermott & Predator}

Haha yeah. I have a McDermott, and I play in two leagues. There's a big money tournament in Waco this Saturday. Winner gets $3000. I hope I pull it off...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 7 2009, 02:17 AM) *
That is what Pac brings to the table. I cannot remember a boring fight he has been in. Even when it goes the distance it is exciting because he always exchanges heavy leather.

The ODLH fight was boring. I watched him hit a moving heavy bag the whole fight!
torvix2000
*** deleted ****
Oops! Wrong post! It was for CEO! Jokes about Hatton. Moved into another thread.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ May 7 2009, 12:57 AM) *
I've noticed that people are happier after paying out those big bucks when they watch someone get KTFO. They don't care if its in the first round or the last ... Just someone KO somebody. They're less happy when they witness a boxing exibition.

Actually at the party I was at a few folks were whining about paying all that money for two rounds. Sometimes I feel like there's something inherent about boxing that compels people to bitch no matter what. Even hardcore fans like us here tend to tear fighters we don't like down more than build fighters we do like up.

But yes to reply to the original poster this fight has brought boxing back into the spotlight for a bit.
dbdbdb
QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 7 2009, 12:01 PM) *
Actually at the party I was at a few folks were whining about paying all that money for two rounds. Sometimes I feel like there's something inherent about boxing that compels people to bitch no matter what. Even hardcore fans like us here tend to tear fighters we don't like down more than build fighters we do like up.
But yes to reply to the original poster this fight has brought boxing back into the spotlight for a bit.

That, Big Slim is the Quote of the month.

There's little to nothing I could add to a statement like that, other than -- Boxing fans are a peculiar bunch.

Boxing needs a facelift, a new Public Relations campaign ... Something!! Because it lags far behind other sports in popularity. And yet there is no other sport like it.

Pac vs Hatton was one shining moment in the sport this year .... but we need a few more.

Hopefully Clottey vs Cotto will become a FOTY candidate followed by a Mayweather vs Marquez sleeper battle.
Mean Mister Mustard
The average fan is certainly attracted to destruction and mayhem. The UFC and MMA in general are very popular in the U.S because of the quick KO's with those little gloves they have on.

But I agree with 3King, the HARDCORE fans will pay to see a boxing exhibition. I mean people payed to see Hopkins-Wright.

And if David Haye Ko's Klitshko I think that would inject more interest into the sport. I mean even after V.Klitshko went toe to toe with Lewis he was able to fill up Madison Square Garden afterwards.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 7 2009, 07:25 AM) *
The ODLH fight was boring. I watched him hit a moving heavy bag the whole fight!

Well it was exciting to see how much punishment DLH could take. Quite a bit as it turns out. I was in hysterics watching that fight. DLH had a fitting end to his career & took a thrashing. Bravo Pac!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.