Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Abregu-Garcia: Classic War on Shobox!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Holy shit!

What a war!!!! One of the best little cable scraps in many years! I thought the stoppage was OK based on the body language of Garcia during the ref's count. I don't think he could have gotten up from that in good shape. However, since both fighters came back from the brink of certain KO's in almost each round, I can't complain too much. These little dudes did their own Corrales-Castillo I in there for 4 brutal and pulverizing rounds.

Jack
salvador
Yeah, I recorded it and saw it Saturday morning and was disappointed that no one here seemed to have watched it. Absolutely one of the best fights I've seen in a while - a major score for Shobox. I hadn't really heard of either fighter and there was no obvious reason for Showtime to feature either guy as an up and coming star, cause neither will ever be a serious contender at ww. But someone at Showtime had the idea to put these two guys together and it worked out beautifully.

Romulus9
QUOTE (salvador @ May 7 2009, 07:22 PM) *
Yeah, I recorded it and saw it Saturday morning and was disappointed that no one here seemed to have watched it. Absolutely one of the best fights I've seen in a while - a major score for Shobox. I hadn't really heard of either fighter and there was no obvious reason for Showtime to feature either guy as an up and coming star, cause neither will ever be a serious contender at ww. But someone at Showtime had the idea to put these two guys together and it worked out beautifully.

I was a little surprised at the lack of discussion myself. I watched it live. The DVD is a keeper. Great fight to watch. Garcia isn't really a contender. Abregu has been looked at as a contender but he'll never be a serious contender unless someone teaches him some defense. But he sure can punch. No doubt about it.

Fun fight to watch. It's one of those that you just wish would have been on one of the broadcast networks so the masses could have seen it. That's what the sport is lacking right now.
Lil-lightsout
Yeah... unfortunately I passed on it. I will have to catch the replay. Thanks for the heads up.
salvador
QUOTE (wvu8893 @ May 7 2009, 08:47 PM) *
Abregu has been looked at as a contender but he'll never be a serious contender unless someone teaches him some defense. But he sure can punch. No doubt about it.

The problem with Abregu is his lack of speed and fluidity, and he needs big time work on his head movement and footwork. That said, I'd love to see him fight again - particularly the rematch with Garcia.

He can punch though, and I kind of think of him as a David Estrada (who he beat by SD) with power - an excellent jr. level gatekeeper in the sport's best division.
Jack 1000
What happened with me was I also caught this gem on replay because you think, "Well, it's ONLY Shobox, and I never heard of these dudes." And critics have said. "Shobox is often ESPN type fights on a premium channel." But, I'll tell you, this is a GEM! I just wish Steve Farhood would be a little more exciting in his commentary! Could you imagine if Col. Bob Sheridan was calling that fight? hahahaha!

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.