Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd Mayweather Sr.
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
D-MARV
"Yeah, to be honest with you man, I think Lil Floyd would toy with Pacquiao. He would toy with Pacquiao and Marquez. He's going to toy with Marquez," stated world-class trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. as he shared his thoughts on his son's return to the ring. "They are both too small for me. I'll beat both of them," Mayweather Jr. shouted in the background. Check out what both father and son had to say as the Mayweathers reunite to discuss Pacquiao, Hatton, Marquez and much more.

Read More!
torvix2000
Just admitting his cowardice! LOL! He brags about fighting small men!
caneman
Our man Percy did a great job as always considering the fact that most people can't even understand him! lolz! I would have thought that even SR would have kept his mouth shut after saying similar things about Hatton doing the same thing to Pacmonster! I know one thing for sure, it will take more than just TALK to smoke Pac!
Douchebag
Pac is going to eat Floyds lunch.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (The Conscience @ May 7 2009, 07:33 AM) *

And his right hand cross and his jab to the body as well. Pacquiao is not the God of boxing. He has a few flaws that an intelligent fighter with speed and in his prime (Floyd) can dismantle. Pac gets off balance when he throws combos. He has good defense but he does get hit a little too much. And he's not a better boxer than Floyd.
salvador
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 7 2009, 08:29 AM) *

This is one instance where Floyd, if he really wants the fight, needs to shut his mouth until after the papers are signed. Because Arum is only human, and if he gets too many seeds of doubt planted in his head (particularly regarding size) he's going to do the smart thing and delay Floyd-Pac for as long as possible.

And that was an unusually good interview by Percy.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (salvador @ May 7 2009, 07:45 AM) *
This is one instance where Floyd, if he really wants the fight, needs to shut his mouth until after the papers are signed. Because Arum is only human, and if he gets too many seeds of doubt planted in his head (particularly regarding size) he's going to do the smart thing and delay Floyd-Pac for as long as possible.

And that was an unusually good interview by Percy.

Agreed. This doesn't do anything to enhance Floyd's legacy. If he wins they're gonna back to his statements about these guys being too small and say he beat up little guys.
The CEO
Mayweather is the favorite against anyone his size or smaller....too many skills...too many styles.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 7 2009, 09:40 AM) *
And his right hand cross and his jab to the body as well. Pacquiao is not the God of boxing. He has a few flaws that an intelligent fighter with speed and in his prime (Floyd) can dismantle. Pac gets off balance when he throws combos. He has good defense but he does get hit a little too much. And he's not a better boxer than Floyd.

I never said Pac is the God boxing. There a few fighters that I would favor beat Pac. Floyd aint one of them.
D-MARV
Im glad to see many people picking Pac over Floyd... After Floyd beats him, Maybe, just maybe Floyd will get some props...

But I'm sure people will still talk bad about Floyd and say he was too big.
blackbelt2003
A good trainer would MAKE a fighter listen to them.

You don't think Arturo Gatti wanted to throw caution to the wind and go crazy when Buddy McGirt was forcing him to box? Of course he did, but McGirt and Gatti were able to forge a connection.

Hatton and Floyd din't get that connection, and since Hatton is the kind of guy who gets on with everyone, I would suggest Floyd was the reason a better bond was never forged.

But I do agree that Floyd Jr would beat Pac. I'd love nothing more than for Pac to spark him like he did Hatton, but it's not gonna happen. Run at Pac, arms swinging and chin in the air like Hatton and Pac looks like a monster.

Box him sensibly and use distance and angles, like MArquez did, and Pac looks more ordinary.

And NOBODY can control distances and use angles like Floyd did.

Black
torvix2000
QUOTE (caneman @ May 7 2009, 02:32 PM) *
I know one thing for sure, it will take more than just TALK to smoke Pac!

LOL!
Box in Hand
I have to ask this question.

How does one beat Floyd?

The only person I think has a chance and that is Paul Williams because of his size and work rate. I think he is tall enough to punch through Floyd's Philly shell and has a good enough work rate to out point him. On the other hand, Paul's defense is not world class.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 7 2009, 03:22 PM) *
I have to ask this question.

How does one beat Floyd?

The only person I think has a chance and that is Paul Williams because of his size and work rate. I think he is tall enough to punch through Floyd's Philly shell and has a good enough work rate to out point him. On the other hand, Paul's defense is not world class.

Simple. Put a non-chicken-dancing version of Zab Judah in there.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 7 2009, 08:29 AM) *
Simple. Put a non-chicken-dancing version of Zab Judah in there.

Ok, I'm going to chalk that one up to something that went entirely over my head.
Mean Mister Mustard
Mayweather is just like DLH, he takes pride in beating smaller men.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ May 7 2009, 10:05 AM) *

You don't think Arturo Gatti wanted to throw caution to the wind and go crazy when Buddy McGirt was forcing him to box? Of course he did, but McGirt and Gatti were able to forge a connection.

Black

That is what made Buddy a TERRIBLE trainer for that fight. Why on earth would Buddy have Arturo try to outbox Floyd??? He had zero chance with that gameplan. It made the fight that much easier for Floyd. Arturo's ONLY chance was to make it a brawl and get lucky with one of his power shots. Arturo reversed many fights with HIS type of fight and heart. Not saying he would have done it against Mayweather, but atleast give him the chance to maybe get a lucky shot in. Any sane person knew Gatti was not going to be effective against Floyd by boxing him, why the heck did Buddy not realize it?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 7 2009, 09:05 AM) *
Im glad to see many people picking Pac over Floyd... After Floyd beats him, Maybe, just maybe Floyd will get some props...

But I'm sure people will still talk bad about Floyd and say he was too big.

Why would you think that? I see some posters here who were picking Hatton to beat Pac are now saying Hatton was damaged goods and Pac's win meant next to nothing. That's the way it goes.

And Floyd himself just said he was too big. The dumbass gave his haters all the future ammunition they'll need.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 7 2009, 12:22 PM) *
Why would you think that? I see some posters here who were picking Hatton to beat Pac are now saying Hatton was damaged goods and Pac's win meant next to nothing. That's the way it goes.

And Floyd himself just said he was too big. The dumbass gave his haters all the future ammunition they'll need.

LOL

Man I just want to see the best against the best. No excuses.
D-MARV
I, for one, give Manny all the props in the world for what he did...

It will be sad if Floyd doesn't recieve any props if he were to beat Pacquiao

Douchebag
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 7 2009, 12:40 PM) *
I, for one, give Manny all the props in the world for what he did...

It will be sad if Floyd doesn't recieve any props if he were to beat Pacquiao

I'm sure he will get props. The fact if Floyd where fight Pac That would have been the best comp he has face since moving Welter.
caneman

QUOTE (The Conscience @ May 7 2009, 12:43 PM) *
I'm sure he will get props. The fact if Floyd where fight Pac That would have been the best comp he has face since moving Welter.

Chances are since moving up from 135 in my book!
Douchebag
QUOTE (caneman @ May 7 2009, 12:50 PM) *
Chances are since moving up from 135 in my book!

You will get now arguement from me there.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 7 2009, 04:53 PM) *
That is what made Buddy a TERRIBLE trainer for that fight. Why on earth would Buddy have Arturo try to outbox Floyd??? He had zero chance with that gameplan. It made the fight that much easier for Floyd. Arturo's ONLY chance was to make it a brawl and get lucky with one of his power shots. Arturo reversed many fights with HIS type of fight and heart. Not saying he would have done it against Mayweather, but atleast give him the chance to maybe get a lucky shot in. Any sane person knew Gatti was not going to be effective against Floyd by boxing him, why the heck did Buddy not realize it?

I agree, but I wasn't trying to make that point. I was just suggesting how Buddy McGirt was able to extend Gatti's career by getting the man to listen to him and box. Floyd Sr obviously couldn't get that effect with Hatton, probably because Floyd is such a hard person to get on with and is therefore hard to build a bond with.

I agree, though, that it was suicide for Buddy to have Gatti box against Mayweather. That is one particular fight he should have turned into the old Gatti for.

Black
thehype

Hatton and Floyd din't get that connection, and since Hatton is the kind of guy who gets on with everyone, I would suggest Floyd was the reason a better bond was never forged.

I disagree. You can't FORCE someone to listen to you. Floyd Sr. makes it very clear to anyone and everyone who actually listens that it's HIS way or the highway. He's a no-nonsense, old school trainer (which is part of the reason why he and Lil Floyd can't get along when training together) that doesn't enjoy sharing training duties with ANYONE...and that includes strength-and-conditioning coaches. The comparison to Gatti and McGirt is like comparing apples to oranges. By the time Gatti got together with McGirt, he was already at the lowest point of his career. He was at the bottom with absolutely no place else to go so he had no choice but to put his trust in McGirt and everything Buddy was telling him to do. When Floyd got together with Hatton, he was coming into a situation where Hatton had just lost his first fight, but he still had the principal people in his team surrounding him. Oh sure, he got rid of Billy Graham, but Lee Beard was still in the picture and from what I hear, was actually trying to call the shots as far as the gameplan for Manny is concerned. That why in between the 1st and 2nd round, you can hear Floyd Sr. saying, "you should have listened to me from day 1!" That one statement right there makes it pretty clear that there were too many chefs in the kitchen and Hatton still placed his trust with those that were familiar to him...like Lee Beard. I strongly believe the only reason why they brought Mayweather in was to teach him some new tricks as far as defense is concerned. I don't think they ever really gave him the respect as the head trainer and the man that comes up with the gameplan. It's one thing to get along with everyone, but it's another thing to put your complete trust in someone that you barely know. Ultimately, I think that's what caused Hatton's demise...his own decision to trust Beard and his gameplan more than Mayweather Sr.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (thehype @ May 7 2009, 02:33 PM) *
I disagree. You can't FORCE someone to listen to you. Floyd Sr. makes it very clear to anyone and everyone who actually listens that it's HIS way or the highway. He's a no-nonsense, old school trainer (which is part of the reason why he and Lil Floyd can't get along when training together) that doesn't enjoy sharing training duties with ANYONE...and that includes strength-and-conditioning coaches. The comparison to Gatti and McGirt is like comparing apples to oranges. By the time Gatti got together with McGirt, he was already at the lowest point of his career. He was at the bottom with absolutely no place else to go so he had no choice but to put his trust in McGirt and everything Buddy was telling him to do. When Floyd got together with Hatton, he was coming into a situation where Hatton had just lost his first fight, but he still had the principal people in his team surrounding him. Oh sure, he got rid of Billy Graham, but Lee Beard was still in the picture and from what I hear, was actually trying to call the shots as far as the gameplan for Manny is concerned. That why in between the 1st and 2nd round, you can hear Floyd Sr. saying, "you should have listened to me from day 1!" That one statement right there makes it pretty clear that there were too many chefs in the kitchen and Hatton still placed his trust with those that were familiar to him...like Lee Beard. I strongly believe the only reason why they brought Mayweather in was to teach him some new tricks as far as defense is concerned. I don't think they ever really gave him the respect as the head trainer and the man that comes up with the gameplan. It's one thing to get along with everyone, but it's another thing to put your complete trust in someone that you barely know. Ultimately, I think that's what caused Hatton's demise...his own decision to trust Beard and his gameplan more than Mayweather Sr.

Even if he would have listened he would have lost. If any other trainer would have been there with Hatton that night they would have received the blame. Hatton only knows how to fight one way. Oh sure he used more footwork in the Urango fight but it was all esentially the same, lunge in and grab. So it is his fault he lost that fight.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (thehype @ May 7 2009, 08:33 PM) *

I see what you're saying, Ben, but I think that, seeing how Floyd Sr is, and knowing what Ricky's like, I just don't think Ricky clicked with him. The fact that Ricky was doing stuff with Beard, who is a decent but hardly world class trainer, tells me that Ricky and Floyd just weren't gelling.

I can't say I know Floyd personally, and I only know Ricky through a couple interviews and polite conversations, but I would hazard a guess that Floyd was pulling his normal shit and Ricky is too down to earth to get caught up in Floyd's shit.

I'm a trainer myself and I know that if you don't gel with a kid, you know it immediately. If you're a trainer, either the kid is receptive to you or not. The fact that this is their second fight tells me that Ricky was at least a little receptive.

If he wasn't, then that Floyd's shit to deal with. He's the trainer after all, and it's his reputation. Blaming the fighter for not listening is like the fighter blaming the trainer for not teaching him.

I'll say agin, the fighter's didn't gel, and I'd say that was more on Floyd than Ricky.

But like someone said, Ricky at his best wouldn't have made it to the end with Pacquiao. Different levels.

Black
BoxingStill#1

But I do agree that Floyd Jr would beat Pac. I'd love nothing more than for Pac to spark him like he did Hatton, but it's not gonna happen. Run at Pac, arms swinging and chin in the air like Hatton and Pac looks like a monster.

Box him sensibly and use distance and angles, like MArquez did, and Pac looks more ordinary.

And NOBODY can control distances and use angles like Floyd did.

Black

good point blk, but if we are making comparisons here lets simply put it like this...

Pac has tremendous Talent......

Floyd had tremendous Talent AND Skill.........

Neither fighter can make a mistake that night..(if we ever see it)....

But if I had to make a bet on who would first,....I think all our money would be on Pac
MarzB
I'm not the biggest Floyd Sr fan but won't discredit his boxing knowledge as some of you often try to do. I think similar to what Hype said that Sr's implementation into his scheme is often why some of his charges can't seem to follow his advice.

How many times have we seen fighters NOT follow the advice of their trainer?? Heck even Bernard Hopkins didn't totally follow what Bouie Fisher said in his Taylor 1 fight. So lets not hang Floyd because Hatton fought the wrong fight but I didn't think Hatton could win anyway.

Triple M, Floyd addressed Corrales who wasn't a smaller man, nor was Dela Hoya, nor was Baldimir, so what are you saying?? You act as if Floyd Jr is a large man himself when in fact he isn't. So please save your clear one sided hatred, it's boring.

Back to Sr, he's NOT going to change his ways, tactics, IMO. I never thought he and Hatton were a good marriage to begin with.

Lastly I read an article in a UK paper called the "The Guardian" I believe where they actually blamed (surely this had to be a spoof or "Onion'esque" type of article) not only Floyd but his penchant for TACO BELL #8s as the reason for Ricky's loss,lol. Let me see if I can find this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/...ak-ricky-hatton
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 7 2009, 06:04 PM) *
I'm not the biggest Floyd Sr fan but won't discredit his boxing knowledge as some of you often try to do. I think similar to what Hype said that Sr's implementation into his scheme is often why some of his charges can't seem to follow his advice.

How many times have we seen fighters NOT follow the advice of their trainer?? Heck even Bernard Hopkins didn't totally follow what Bouie Fisher said in his Taylor 1 fight. So lets not hang Floyd because Hatton fought the wrong fight but I didn't think Hatton could win anyway.

Triple M, Floyd addressed Corrales who wasn't a smaller man, nor was Dela Hoya, nor was Baldimir, so what are you saying?? You act as if Floyd Jr is a large man himself when in fact he isn't. So please save your clear one sided hatred, it's boring.

Back to Sr, he's NOT going to change his ways, tactics, IMO. I never thought he and Hatton were a good marriage to begin with.

Lastly I read an article in a UK paper called the "The Guardian" I believe where they actually blamed (surely this had to be a spoof or "Onion'esque" type of article) not only Floyd but his penchant for TACO BELL #8s as the reason for Ricky's loss,lol. Let me see if I can find this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/...ak-ricky-hatton

He's taking on freaking JMM! Did you forget that? lol
E.C.LEGEND

thank you MarzB for stating that! Its funny how no one criticizes natural middleweights who fight at welterweight. ex. Paul Williams, Margarito so my question is why aren't they being accused of the same thing yall are accusing floyd of doing?
Mean Mister Mustard
Well see you'd have a point if I had said that PBF takes on nothing but smaller men. I in fact did not say that. I said he takes pride in beating smaller men. Corrales wow that was back when? 2001!

DLH no complaints there. Baldomir? lol well I guess I have to give you props for your work wthic there Marz, you're digging deep to try and come up with these guys lol.
torvix2000
What's up with bigger man fighting smaller men? It's ok as long as the bigger man is fighting in the smaller man's division. Kinda like Mayweather fighting Marquez at 135.
torvix2000
Oh, by the way. Why the double standards? Is there really one? If there is, perhaps it's because of my SIG.
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 7 2009, 06:04 PM) *
What's up with bigger man fighting smaller men? It's ok as long as the bigger man is fighting in the smaller man's division. Kinda like Mayweather fighting Marquez at 135.

not trying to sound like a prick but does 5 pounds really make a difference? I'm 6'1 150lbs, I can gain and lose 5 pounds in a day. Now I can see if lil floyd tried to make JMM go up to 150 it would be a different story.
torvix2000
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ May 8 2009, 12:12 AM) *
not trying to sound like a prick but does 5 pounds really make a difference? I'm 6'1 150lbs, I can gain and lose 5 pounds in a day. Now I can see if lil floyd tried to make JMM go up to 150 it would be a different story.

It's what you are. Your ability to gain and lose 5 pounds in a day is a complement to your fighting ability. The more fighting ability you have, the better fighter you are. You can rule two weight divisions. But don't make smaller men come up if you want his title that he earned in a lower division.
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 7 2009, 06:18 PM) *
It's what you are. Your ability to gain and lose 5 pounds in a day is a complement to your fighting ability. The more fighting ability you have, the better fighter you are. You can rule two weight divisions. But don't make smaller men come up if you want his title that he earned in a lower division.

I got you. But do we know for sure lil floyd can make 135? his limit might be 140, wow the ship is on the line in a catch weight fight?! I thought you had to fight in the weight class the belt was in. lol I learn something new about the sport everyday. lol
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Conscience @ May 7 2009, 09:33 AM) *

Dude I'm curious...how are you going to have these two thick chics as your avatar but then turn around and put these two super skinny chics in your sig.?
King Eugene
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ May 7 2009, 08:25 PM) *
I got you. But do we know for sure lil floyd can make 135? his limit might be 140, wow the ship is on the line in a catch weight fight?! I thought you had to fight in the weight class the belt was in. lol I learn something new about the sport everyday. lol

Thats how it normally is but correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Winky and Bernard fight at a catch weight of 170 for Bernards LHW Ring belt?
torvix2000
I'm talking about title. Not belt. It has a broader meaning.
King Eugene
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=19806

Interesting read I found on this topic.
torvix2000
Nothing new. Hatton's camp ain't making up no excuses. It's simply the truth. There was turmoil before the fight. Hatton must have been agitated whenever Sr. was saying s*hitty things whenever he's not doing things right in training while all the while Sr. was coming in late.
Lil-lightsout
I think it is a mix of boths fault. Hatton for being so damn stupid fighting with no respect of Pac's power. I do not care what anyone says, all Hatton had to do is keep his hands up to his chin and weather the early storm. Then he could have put some pressure on Manny to see if he could have got to him later in the fight. It is like he did all that hard training, and then just threw it out the window when the bell rang.

I am starting to now think Mayweather was more in it for the money with the stuff going on now. He has to take some responsibility for Hatton fighting that way. WTF were they doing in camp for all that time? Mayweather talked all this smack beforehand about Ricky gonna beat Pac and how great he was as a trainer. Well why the heck was Hatton not listening to you then?
torvix2000
Guys like Hatton, Pacquiao, they are hard headed. Really hard to teach them something. It had to be gradual. Pacquiao's face was a punching bag for Marquez (1st fight) and in the 2nd fight and in the Morales (1st fight). It's pretty hard to imagine Roach saying bad things to Pacquiao, though. Why? Because he accepted Pacquiao as a trainee. He knew his limitations. He knew it would be hard to shake those habits off him. Everything has to be constructive. When Freddie Roach said something bad about DLH, it wasn't really bad. He's just pointing out that DLH cannot pull the trigger anymore. The truth.
kingknockout
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ May 7 2009, 09:29 AM) *

answer me this......can you beat him?

i'll wait. rolleyes_anim.gif
Spyder
I just like how spot on C.E.O.'s Sr excuse was...wish I had the time to look it up and put them side by side...but you all know it anyway.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (kingknockout @ May 8 2009, 02:27 AM) *
answer me this......can you beat him?

i'll wait. rolleyes_anim.gif

Answer me this is Torvix a professional fighter claiming to be the best ever & bragging about taking on smaller men (in HRH Mayweather's own words)?

I'll wait rolleyes_anim.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 7 2009, 10:46 PM) *
I just like how spot on C.E.O.'s Sr excuse was...wish I had the time to look it up and put them side by side...but you all know it anyway.

Great...give CEO more reasons to gloat. LOL. Lets forget about all this Hatton-Pac stuff and move on. This guy has been on a roll with all his predictions lately, he can only get lucky so many times. Come on Tarver, don't let me down.
Spyder
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 8 2009, 12:55 AM) *
Great...give CEO more reasons to gloat. LOL. Lets forget about all this Hatton-Pac stuff and move on. This guy has been on a roll with all his predictions lately, he can only get lucky so many times. Come on Tarver, don't let me down.

Honestly, The C.E.O. has put in some serious effort hating on The Hitman...enough so that he deserves the spoils of war that he's now collecting.

His run is due for a historic collapse...but I'm hoping it's after Tarver's impending beatdown. laugh.gif
The CEO
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 9 2009, 01:09 AM) *
Honestly, The C.E.O. has put in some serious effort hating on The Hitman...enough so that he deserves the spoils of war that he's now collecting.

That's right!....tell 'em, Spyder......let that bitter turncoat, L-L, know....

I am The Absolute Conqueror and Owner of The Hattonites.

and I ain't even close to being done gloating.

Bumps coming soon....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.