Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RIP Diego Corrales!!!
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
JonnyBlaze
Today was the horrible day!!!I'll never forget him..If it weren't for Hype,I would have never talked to him and really known how great of a person he was outside the ring..He was a monster in the ring and was the nicest guy outside the ring..I can still remember the night when I found out he had gotten into the accident..Reading that sent crazy chills up my spine..Just talking to him,he made me feel like we were good friends..I can still remember him saying "Jonny Blaze!!!" right when I picked up the phone..He sounded excited to talk to me and unfortunately I was kinda nervous since he was the first pro boxer I had ever talked to..He will always been in my top 10 favorites list..

RIP Diego!!You'll always be remembered by me and everyone else who got to see you fight in the ring..
Romulus9
It's a good night to pop in the DVD of the first Castillo fight. What a magical night that was, and a 10th round that is the stuff of legend.

Chico is missed. No doubt about it.

It looks like the Diego Corrales Foundation is primed to do some good work in his name, though. Here's hoping his legacy lives on through it.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (wvu8893 @ May 7 2009, 09:17 PM) *
It's a good night to pop in the DVD of the first Castillo fight. What a magical night that was, and a 10th round that is the stuff of legend.

Chico is missed. No doubt about it.

It looks like the Diego Corrales Foundation is primed to do some good work in his name, though. Here's hoping his legacy lives on through it.

I talked him a month after the first Castillo fight..I donated some money to his foundation and got a shirt and big post card about Corrales that I have pinned up right above my chin up bar..He really did/does inspires me..He was willing to die in the ring,no doubt about it..
The CEO
The only thing I didn't like about Chico was how he spit his piece out against Castillo....and that's it. Only 1 thing.

The man had a 10 in Heart, is appreciated, and will certainly be remembered.
Fitz
I was just over the moon when Castillo beat the shit out of him the second time round and gave him a good old fashioned beating.

He had heart though.
Fitz
Boxing could use more guys with his mentality though.
The CEO
I was happy for Castillo too when he got his revenge...that whole spitting thing didn't sit well with me....shit...why did I bring that up?

Now people will start with Castillo's weight thing...
Romulus9
Castillo's weight? Not good.

Gatti's weight? Almost killed Joey Gamache.

Advantage: Gatti.

However, if we had more Gatti's and Chico's fighting on ABC Sports on Saturday nights in the summer, boxing would be flourishing.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ May 8 2009, 03:06 AM) *
The only thing I didn't like about Chico was how he spit his piece out against Castillo....and that's it. Only 1 thing.

The man had a 10 in Heart, is appreciated, and will certainly be remembered.

You know that mouthpiece incident shows what type of heart he actually had. How many fighters would take a 10 count there happily knowing they gave their best & no one would ever question it? Chico got up & whooped some ass!

RIP Chico your fighting spirit lives on
Lil-lightsout
For my son Aiden's 1st birthday party 4 years ago, we had like a huge friends and family get together. We had over 80 people at our house for like a whole day party inside and outside. I will never forget popping in the tape of the classic fight between those two in our living room to show a bunch of friends the fight. Well by the end of the fight our living room was jam packed with all types of people watching it and just commenting how amazing it was. It was crazy for anyone to realize how special that fight was.
iron_mike
R.I.P to a true warrior
kidbazooka1
Corrales was one of my favorite current fighters some of these so called top fighter no a days could learn a thing or two from his never say die attitude.

RIP Chico
King Eugene
Wasn't a big fan but I'll always pay my respects to a guy that would put his life on the line to entertain me and others.

R.I.P. Chico!
JonnyBlaze
Ya all forgot the Freitas,Casamayor 1 and 2,Manfreddy,Gainer,and the Juuko fight..

Corrales didn't just spit it out,his jaw was killin him and I bet it hurt to clinch down on the mouthpiece..He took it out and I believe him about it slipped out his glove..Either way,this is a RIP Corrales thread,not a thread talkin about whether he spit out his mouthpiece in a fight or not..
Fitz
Sorry Jonny, he spat it out plain and simple, lol. It's not supposed to tickle. It didn't come out by accident during a punch, he took it out on purpose. I believe him his jaw hurt, but that's boxing. Like I said, it isn't supposed to tickle.
BigG
RIP Diego Corrales...

Imagine a prime Corrales vs. Pacquiao at 135....0_0
STEVENSKI
The point is Fitz he could have laid down & no one would have blamed him. Instead he got up dropped his mouthpiece & fucked JLC up good style.
Fitz
I'm not really disputing that. It's like when somebody throws a deliberate low blow to buy time when they are in trouble. Fair enough, do what you want to try win the fight and props to him. I'm more disputing that I think Jonny is being a little naive in thinking he didn't do it deliberately.
STEVENSKI
I think it was deliberate the spitting that is. I think he genuinely dropped it though.
BigG
After the 2nd knockdown...Corrales did not deliberately remove the mouthpiece...his mouth was open and a left uppercut knocked it out of his mouth...but he did remove his mouthpiece after the first knockdown...whatever, he got penalized for it....doesn't matter at this point....Chico TKO'd Castillo in a fight that will never be forgotten.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ May 8 2009, 04:49 AM) *
Chico TKO'd Castillo in a fight that will never be forgotten.

In arguably the greatest fight of all time.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 8 2009, 04:26 AM) *
I'm not really disputing that. It's like when somebody throws a deliberate low blow to buy time when they are in trouble. Fair enough, do what you want to try win the fight and props to him. I'm more disputing that I think Jonny is being a little naive in thinking he didn't do it deliberately.

This is exactly what I didn't want to happen in this thread..I was giving tribute to him and then 1.5 of 3 pages is about him spitting out a mouthpeice..

All I was saying though was that he took the mouthpeice out and I think was going to put it back in,but he dropped it..Could he of done it intentionally??Yeah..
D-MARV
Diego definitely took the mouth piece out on purpose. He did what he had to do to survive, I think he tried to do it again against Clottey. Really no different then throwing a low blow or even faking a low blow like Hopkins did against Calzaghe.
JonnyBlaze
Man this thread got ruined..Can someone close or delete this thread please??

Corrales was a fuckin warrior and in my opinion became a Tommy Hearns..He has good boxing skills but he loved to trade with guys and would go to war with you in a heart beat..Corrales decided to give us the best fights possible and was not afraid to fight someone elses fight to show he could beat the other guy at what he does best..He was agressive and was very effective..Corrales had a real good jab,but would forget about it since he loved to fight it out..Yet,he wouldn't just fight it out,he was smart about it..He picked which punches he'd throw and not just throw anything hoping it land..He did a lot more thinking in the ring than he was given credit for..
The CEO
JB....Corrales WAS a fuckin' warrior....and he's getting his respect...no need to get upset we're discussing his defining moment...their 10th Round and the details of it will be discussed forever...

I don't think anybody here "hates" Chico like STEVEN does Floyd....
D-MARV
LOL...
King Eugene
Chico could have been a great boxer but refused to box. Hell he had Castillo in the second fight when he stepped back and boxed but yet he'd revert back to fighting in the inside and eventually getting KO'd. He was one entertaining joker though!
BigG
My favorite Corrales win though was probably the Acelino Freitas fight. Freitas at the time was highly regarded, an undefeated, highly talented boxer who was a KO artist. Acelino was doing really well the first 7 rounds but Corrales beat the shit out of Freitas from rounds 8, 9, 10 (a knockdown each round)....and made him quit....lol..I always disliked Freitas.

If I have to compare Corrales to someone..it would be Tito Trinidad.
Fitz
QUOTE (3King3 @ May 9 2009, 10:39 AM) *
Hell he had Castillo in the second fight when he stepped back and boxed but yet he'd revert back to fighting in the inside and eventually getting KO'd. He was one entertaining joker though!

I personally don't remember him having Castillo at any point in the second fight, I just remember him getting beaten thoroughly from round 1 onwards.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 8 2009, 08:50 PM) *
I personally don't remember him having Castillo at any point in the second fight, I just remember him getting beaten thoroughly from round 1 onwards.

It was never long, pretty brief to be honest. He'll throw two or three punches from distance and then close the gap just to bang. I specifically remember the commentator talking about how much faster Chico's hands where when he would step back and box for those few seconds he did but then go right back to the inside.
Fitz
Well that was Corrales. He fought on heart and not brains. He didn't come up with the best strategy with Floyd either. He had physical advantages that he didn't use wisely and made things tougher for himself than things needed to be. But I would choose a guy any day of the week that would come to fight, even if it did make things harder than a guy that doesn't show heart and takes the easy way out.
The mentality Corrales had is one you always want from a fighter, he just needed to think more. But had a great mentality for a boxer.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ May 8 2009, 11:27 PM) *
I don't think anybody here "hates" Chico like STEVEN does Floyd....

Lets get one thing straight guys. No one could have as much hate as I do. I am like Hitler, Stalin & Pol Pot rolled into one hate filled machine.
Big Slim Sweet
This is a quote from Dan Rafael piece on Diego's death:

Corrales' philosophy was simple when it came to boxing.

"I just want to fight the top guys," he had said. "It is not about the money. You just want to see where you place. Where is your standing in your current time with all the best? The only way you can do that is by fighting the best, and that is what I do. I want to know where I place. Where do I rate with these guys? Am I really one of the best fighters out there, or am I a flash in the pan? So far, I have proved that I am one of the best out there, and I am fortunate for that. I am not a flash in the pan."

That's all anyone can ever ask for in a fighter.
The CEO
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 9 2009, 05:28 AM) *
I am like Hitler, Stalin & Pol Pot rolled into one hate filled machine.

That's fine...you can be Hitler and them...

I see myself as a combination of Alexander, Julius Caesar, and Genghis Khan when it comes to Hating.

and without a single doubt....I AM....The Absolute Conqueror and Owner of The Hattonites.

I've assembled, inspired, and led troops.....singlehandedly attacked and decimated multitudes of superfans........you guys don't know where all I've been...my domain literally spans the internets.

kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 9 2009, 06:50 AM) *
This is a quote from Dan Rafael piece on Diego's death:

Corrales' philosophy was simple when it came to boxing.

"I just want to fight the top guys," he had said. "It is not about the money. You just want to see where you place. Where is your standing in your current time with all the best? The only way you can do that is by fighting the best, and that is what I do. I want to know where I place. Where do I rate with these guys? Am I really one of the best fighters out there, or am I a flash in the pan? So far, I have proved that I am one of the best out there, and I am fortunate for that. I am not a flash in the pan."

That's all anyone can ever ask for in a fighter.

The man was a savage and i believe left his mark in boxing in fighting in the greatest fight of all time vs Castillo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.