Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawson vs. Tarver II: HBO@8:30PM CST
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all round by round action and reactions to Dawson-Tarver II. (Note that the Hatton-Pacquiao replay SHOULD be first)

Jack

Administrator
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I missed the first fight between these 2, so I'm probably the only one interested in seeing this fight. From what I heard, Dawson dominated the first time around, but Tarver is the "king" of rematches. He's beaten some of the best light heavies, and is a former champion who knows this might be the end. I expect him to put up a good fight, and I do think this fight will resemble Wright-Mosley 2 from a few years back. No matter how hard Dawson trains, it's going to be hard for him to get that mental aspect of him dominating Tarver, and not get complacent. I think Tarver will make things interesting, but Dawson's speed will be too much. Dawson's activity will also win him rounds in this fight. I expect him to win a 116-112 type decision in a decent fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
Anything is possible but it is hard to envision Tarver doing more than just "better" than the last time.
salvador
Kellerman's describing a Mayweather-Pac fight as "the most historically significant fight since Chavez-Whitaker" was kind of dramatic. I love that he's willing to go out on a limb.

I wonder what Merchant was thinking about that comment.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (salvador @ May 9 2009, 10:21 PM) *
Kellerman's describing a Mayweather-Pac fight as "the most historically significant fight since Chavez-Whitaker" was kind of dramatic. I love that he's willing to go out on a limb.

I wonder what Merchant was thinking about that comment.

Merchant is probably drunk right now saying "Whheherhrhdsmm"
Mean Mister Mustard
Tarver doing better, he's letting his hands go more but he still looks like an old man.
salvador
Tarver was seriously hurt there. That was a totally professional round by an experienced fighter.
jp
Tarver has nothing for Chad.....absolutely nothing. This fight aint going the distance........Tarver already looks tired in between rounds.
Mean Mister Mustard
It's true, Tarver's punches look sloppy but Dawson fought stupidly in that last round.
Mean Mister Mustard
You all see when Tarver throws those pitty patt combos when Dawson covers up? Just imagine a more mobie, better defensive and faster Calzaghe there. You knnow how I feel about Zaghe but I think he beats Dawson.
Romulus9
I had it 116-112 Dawson. Chad had MUCH more on his shots. Tarver looked completely lethargic, nothing much on his shots from start to finish, and his jab was the worst I've ever seen it. He made Calslappy look like Julian Jackson at times tonight.

Dawson needs a reason to really bring an A game out. If he fights like he did tonight, Glen Johnson will beat him in a rematch.

An important thing from tonight's fight: When Dawson doubled and tripled the jab, Tarver did nothing but stop, reset, and step to the side. When he threw one at a time, or just covered up and allowed Tarver to get off first, action stalled or switched to Antonio's side for the moment. Dawson seems to have those Michael Moorer spaceout moments far too often.

Another B+ title defense that leaves you longing for the realization of what Dawson can really do.
MarzB
Tarver lost no doubt and my card was exactly what letterman's was but again. How some of you observe fights is beyond me.

If Tarver was so "flat" or sloppy, how did he win the last two rounds by most observers?? Even Chad said he came ready and I'm not taking anything away from what Chad did.

But the bottom line is as some of you in the other thread stated, Tarver wasn't remotely closed to being STRETCHED in this fight as some of you woudl have liked.

I think Tarver should hang them as he doesn't have the legs any longer. Chad fought a good fight and the decision shouldn't be held against him but it willby the Tarvers haters here. Tarver fought a damn good fight considering he's 40 years old. He says he'll continue on, I say, let it go. You filed bankruptcy and still had some big paydays afterwards. Be done with it. This is a tough non appreciative sport.

As for Chad, forget unifying this nondescript decison. Why pay the sanctioning fees. Call out Hopkins who I know WILL NOT answer. Mind you I think Hopkins takes Chad but it's NOT a markeable fight in his eyes. Chad has 8+ years provided he doesn't get upset shockingly ahead of him. As Max mentioned, just keep winning and someone will eventually materialize.

Who would have thought 168 division has more global markee fights than 175, wow..
The CEO
Went as expected....Tarver tried a little harder....but he was still too slow and lacking any real pop....

Not liking how Dawson went out the last 2 rounds....I know some have him in their Top 10 P4P....but I can't see him being any better than #10 after what I saw tonight....
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (jp @ May 9 2009, 09:40 PM) *
Tarver has nothing for Chad.....absolutely nothing. This fight aint going the distance........Tarver already looks tired in between rounds.

I don't know what round you said this in but absolutely nothing is a huge understatement..If ya weren't past round 7,you must of missed that round when Tarver almost knocked Dawson down..That was Tarver's big chance..It was a close fight and Tarver at age 40 did a lot better than all of you thought..Tarver getting KO'd??Tarver has survived way worse than that,especially in the last fight..Tarver has never been put on his ass ever..The most that has happened to him is glove touches,with only one being ruled offically against Hopkins(which I don't think his glove touched)..The thing I noticed most about Tarver in the last 2 years is how heavy the gloves seem on his hands..He is throwing punches a hell of a lot slower than before..The Johnson fight was the last fight where I thought his hands looked fast..

Tarver was blasting Dawson with some hard uppercuts but Dawson was so fast that he did get the best of Tarver..This fight kinda reminded me of the first B-Hop/Taylor fight..Dawson slowed down his output and Tarver caught up with him late but Dawson pulled it out..B-Hop/Taylor was closer but in the sense of how it ended was similar(Tarver catching up while Dawson slowed up)..The funny part about it was Dawson didn't look tired..He was throwing just as fast as he was early but he just decided to slow up..Who knows what was goin on with him..

My score card was 116-112 for Dawson..Speed kills..
Romulus9
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 9 2009, 11:28 PM) *
The thing I noticed most about Tarver in the last 2 years is how heavy the gloves seem on his hands..He is throwing punches a hell of a lot slower than before..The Johnson fight was the last fight where I thought his hands looked fast..

No doubt about it. Tarver had a ton of big swings and misses that just weren't even close. Did Margarito's trainers wrap his hands or something?
PR316
I had Dawson winning 116-112. Decent performance from him. He's a good solid fighter but not great. He's on the cusp but not quite there.

He needs an opponent that can bring the best out of him. Tarver is not it.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (wvu8893 @ May 9 2009, 10:30 PM) *
No doubt about it. Tarver had a ton of big swings and misses that just weren't even close. Did Margarito's trainers wrap his hands or something?

hahahaha..Maybe..If it was a younger Tarver,I think he would of won this fight..A 40 year old Tarver needs to hand em up..Dawson used some good defense in this fight that I didn't think he had but I was not really as impressed as I have been before with him..
Romulus9
What we saw tonight is Chad Dawson: take it or leave it. He's going to do what he has to do to win without unnecessary risk or the overwhelming desire for flash.

He's a lot like Larry Holmes during his reign from 1978-85 in that regard.
jp
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 9 2009, 11:28 PM) *
I don't know what round you said this in but absolutely nothing is a huge understatement..If ya weren't past round 7,you must of missed that round when Tarver almost knocked Dawson down..That was Tarver's big chance..It was a close fight and Tarver at age 40 did a lot better than all of you thought..Tarver getting KO'd??Tarver has survived way worse than that,especially in the last fight..Tarver has never been put on his ass ever..The most that has happened to him is glove touches,with only one being ruled offically against Hopkins(which I don't think his glove touched)..The thing I noticed most about Tarver in the last 2 years is how heavy the gloves seem on his hands..He is throwing punches a hell of a lot slower than before..The Johnson fight was the last fight where I thought his hands looked fast..

Tarver was blasting Dawson with some hard uppercuts but Dawson was so fast that he did get the best of Tarver..This fight kinda reminded me of the first B-Hop/Taylor fight..Dawson slowed down his output and Tarver caught up with him late but Dawson pulled it out..B-Hop/Taylor was closer but in the sense of how it ended was similar(Tarver catching up while Dawson slowed up)..The funny part about it was Dawson didn't look tired..He was throwing just as fast as he was early but he just decided to slow up..Who knows what was goin on with him..

My score card was 116-112 for Dawson..Speed kills..

Dawson was no where close to being put down. He dominated the fight, Tarver had his moments but it wasn't the least bit competitive. You're acting like Tarver almost won that fight or something, it's crazy talk.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (jp @ May 9 2009, 10:37 PM) *
Dawson was no where close to being put down. He dominated the fight, Tarver had his moments but it wasn't the least bit competitive. You're acting like Tarver almost won that fight.

No where close to being put down??I guess ya missed his leg buckle and about to collapse on him..

Tarver did better than he was supposed to..All you guys had him KO'd or completely shut out,but he did as good as he could at age 40 against a 26 year old..116-112 is not that bad..If Tarver had won 2 more rounds it would have been a draw..Tarver got sloppy though and was slow..He also didn't keep up with his left uppercut..
Romulus9
I thought it was a close but clear 116-112.

With that in mind, I knew Tarver wouldn't get KO'd but I was really, really, really hoping for it.

A lot.
Mean Mister Mustard
I thought Dawson looked a bit stunned in a round.

He's a B+ fighter. His speed makes some people think he's special but he's really not.
D-MARV
Im a little pissed off that Dawson didn't KO him but oh well. Tarver is a tough fucker. Who's next for Dawson?

Hopkins? Johnson?
JonnyBlaze
It was either round 7 or 8..I'm pretty sure it was 7 though..Tarver nailed him with a perfect left uppercut and followed it up..At the end of the round Dawson started to throw some punches again..
Romulus9
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 9 2009, 11:54 PM) *
Im a little pissed off that Dawson didn't KO him but oh well. Tarver is a tough fucker. Who's next for Dawson?

Hopkins? Johnson?

Johnson.
jp
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 9 2009, 11:44 PM) *
No where close to being put down??I guess ya missed his leg buckle and about to collapse on him..

Tarver did better than he was supposed to..All you guys had him KO'd or completely shut out,but he did as good as he could at age 40 against a 26 year old..116-112 is not that bad..If Tarver had won 2 more rounds it would have been a draw..Tarver got sloppy though and was slow..He also didn't keep up with his left uppercut..

Stop.....Tarver won 3-4 rounds tops, that's not being competitive. Dawson was NEVER close to being down, he ate every punch Tarver threw at the end of the 7th and fired right back to close the round. Tarver did better this time around, but a Dawson win was never in question, ever.
JonnyBlaze
Johnson beat Dawson in the first fight in my opinion..Close fight but I had Johnson winning..
D-MARV
It's pretty obvious that Jonny has something against Dawson.
jp
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 10 2009, 12:02 AM) *

laugh.gif

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 9 2009, 11:02 PM) *

Hell naw,I like Dawson a lot..He has great speed and throws really good short punch combos..He doesn't loop his punches or anything..He has good technique..He has improved his defense..I really like his combos a lot..Being able to put 5 punches together like he does is insane..

I just went back and re-watched the 7th round and Dawson's right leg buckled from a straight left from Tarver..He was definitely stunned..Fitz,I was watching Tarver/Dawson 2,what about you??I pay real close attention to detail..Was it obvious that his right leg buckled/dipped,no but I saw it..I've seen it happen 4 times now,the first time and I replayed it 3 times..No doubt about it either..If he was trying to avoid a shot,both knees would have bent but the way his leg bent when he got hit with the left was not normal..
D-MARV
Dawson may have been stunned but he wasn't "seriously" hurt.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 9 2009, 11:18 PM) *
If there are several people who don't really think Dawson was seriously hurt, he probably was never seriously hurt. Usually it's pretty obvious when there is a hurt fighter, maybe his legs buckled slightly but you are probably trying to look way too hard. Like I said, everyone knows when a fighter is seriously hurt, if a lot of people missed it, good chance is that he wasn't as badly hurt as you are trying to make it out to be.

He got stunned..Did anyone else go back and watch that round??

Was Calzaghe hurt when B-Hop had him down??Naw,he was stunned from a shot he didn't see..

Joe Louis,Holyfield, and George Foreman were real good at not letting someone know they were seriously hurt and I'm talking aside from knockdowns..I'm not arguing this fight,but more is going on than the eye can see..Luckily through reading books about Joe Louis and Holyfield,they admitted to being really fucked up when it looked like they weren't..George Foreman said no one had ever hit him as hard to the body with a left hook than Holyfield did when Holy hit him with like 20 punches in a row,yet Foreman didn't act hurt..Again,not arguing this fight but just because a majority agrees that a guy wasn't seriously hurt,doesn't mean shit to me..
jp
Tarver caught him with a clean shot, Dawson took it and kept on coming. Saying that Tarver "almost collapsed him" is nonsense.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (jp @ May 9 2009, 11:29 PM) *
Tarver caught him with a clean shot, Dawson took it and kept on coming. Saying that Tarver "almost collapsed him" is nonsense.

You're not reading what I wrote.."Almost collasped him" means he would of been on his ass bad..Pac-man collapsed Hatton..Dawson's right leg almost collapsed meaning gave out..
Method
Not sure what it is, but it's like there's something missing.

When you listen to him talk, that says it all.
Al Hata

I agree with the with official cards. Dawson did what he had to do. I think Tarver fought his ass off but just doesn't have much left. I give Tarver credit, he took a lot of tough body shots, has a tough chin and I don't think was ever hurt, maybe stunned for a sec. Dawson, at one point looked like he might have been stunned in the 7th or 8th but who knows. Neither fighters was ever hurt.

Dawson needs someone who brings out the best in him. Fighting Johnson again would be a bad move but I don't think there are any big names out there for him so he might have too.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Method @ May 9 2009, 11:34 PM) *
When you listen to him talk, that says it all.

He has been boxing since a young age but that just might be how he has always talked..I know people who talk like that and never boxed or did drugs..I was thinkin the same thing that you are though..Not sure what to think of it..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (jp @ May 9 2009, 11:29 PM) *

You really need to go back and watch the fight..You have no recollection of what happened..A clean shot??He hit him with quite a few clean shots before what I'm talking about happened..He hit him with a perfect left uppercut and straight left along with a few others..Can Dawson take a punch??Hell yeah he can..
Method
Dawson needs someone who brings out the best in him. Fighting Johnson again would be a bad move

Isn't that statement counter-intuitive?
jp
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 9 2009, 11:44 PM) *

You're acting like Tarver almost had Dawson out of there......Chad ate every single shot that Tarver threw at the end of the 7th and finished the round strong. I have re-watched that sequence 3 times and you're reaching......Tarver won 3 out of 12 rounds, the fight was no where close to being competitive.

Chad's doesn't have 1 punch stopping power and he isn't going to steamroll everyone in front of him, that's just not how he fights. He took care of business tonight, that's that.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Method @ May 9 2009, 11:40 PM) *
Isn't that counterintuitive?

If he fights Johnson again,it's a risk he may lose..Johnson is only getting older though..Dawson and him really went at it in the first fight and I'd be excited as hell for a rematch..Johnson deserves it..Yet,he rarely gets what he really deserves..Decisions for one and recognition is another..
Method
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 10 2009, 12:43 AM) *
If he fights Johnson again,it's a risk he may lose..Johnson is only getting older though..Dawson and him really went at it in the first fight and I'd be excited as hell for a rematch..Johnson deserves it..Yet,he rarely gets what he really deserves..Decisions for one and recognition is another..

My point is, wouldn't a guy like Johnson really bring out the best in Dawson (which was the point that I responded to)?
Al Hata
QUOTE (Method @ May 10 2009, 12:45 AM) *
My point is, wouldn't a guy like Johnson really bring out the best in Dawson (which was the point that I responded to)?

I don't think Dawson looked good in that fight.
jp
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 10 2009, 12:39 AM) *
You really need to go back and watch the fight..You have no recollection of what happened..A clean shot??He hit him with quite a few clean shots before what I'm talking about happened..He hit him with a perfect left uppercut and straight left along with a few others..Can Dawson take a punch??Hell yeah he can..

WTF are you talking about??? It's boxing, at some point both guys are going to get hit. Are you trying to tell me that at any point during this fight that Tarver had a legitimate shot at winning????? You're being delusional, In one post you're saying that Dawson was on queer street in another post you're saying that he can take a hell of a shot.......
Method
QUOTE (Al Hata @ May 10 2009, 12:46 AM) *
I don't think Dawson looked good in that fight.

Exactly. So then what, only fight the competition where you lok like a rock star? Makes no sense. Could you imagine if everyone fought the way you suggest? You'd never see ANYONE tested. Makes NO sense.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (jp @ May 9 2009, 11:42 PM) *
You're acting like Tarver almost had Dawson out of there......Chad ate every single shot that Tarver threw at the end of the 7th and finished the round strong. I have re-watched that sequence 3 times and you're reaching......Tarver won 3 out of 12 rounds, the fight was no where close to being competitive.

Chad's doesn't have 1 punch stopping power and he isn't going to steamroll everyone in front of him, that's just not how he fights. He took care of business tonight, that's that.

How am I acting like he almost had him out of there??He stunned him and you guys all said he wasn't fazed..All I'm saying is that he was..Eddie wasn't sure Dawson was ok in the corner and even asked him if he was..Tarver hit him with quite a few left hands solid..

I gave Tarver 4 rounds in the fight..This fight was a lot better than the first fight even though Tarver threw more punches in the first one..Tarver didn't let Dawson do exactly what he wanted like he did in the first..He tried to punch when Dawson did after a couple rounds..He actually looked like he wanted to win in this fight..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Method @ May 9 2009, 11:45 PM) *

Exactly..He needs Johnson to prove himself..I thought Johnson beat him the first time..Johnson made him work like no one else did in my opinion..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (jp @ May 9 2009, 11:50 PM) *
WTF are you talking about??? It's boxing, at some point both guys are going to get hit. Are you trying to tell me that at any point during this fight that Tarver had a legitimate shot at winning????? You're being delusional, In one post you're saying that Dawson was on queer street in another post you're saying that he can take a hell of a shot.......

Naw,Tarver wasn't going to win the fight..Queer street makes me think of the bojangles(what Zab had against Tszyu)..Being foggy in the head,not being stunned or dropped quickly..If Dawson fell from that,it would of been to one knee and he would of gotten back up in a couple seconds..Bring me some quotes of what I said cause I know I said he almost dropped him..Well obviously he can take a hell of a shot,he didn't go down from all those clean shots..You're mixin words man..
Al Hata
QUOTE (Method @ May 10 2009, 12:50 AM) *
Exactly. So then what, only fight the competition where you lok like a rock star? Makes no sense. Could you imagine if everyone fought the way you suggest? You'd never see ANYONE tested. Makes NO sense.

I totally agree with you, but fighting Johnson is still a bad move for him. It's not a huge name to mainstream fans, more risk than reward. As a boxing fan that's the fight I want to see but I'm sure Dawson will look at other options. What about a Pavlik? Bigger name, less risk but still a fighter than could bring out the best Dawson.
jp
QUOTE (Method @ May 10 2009, 12:50 AM) *

Johnson had Dawson in legitimate trouble a couple times in their first fight, Johnson also walked through everything that Chad threw at him and kept on coming. If Dawson can beat Johnson convincingly the second time around (which is a very tall order) it will say a lot about him at this point in his career.

There's no other competition for him at 175 besides Johnson or Bernard, those are both fight that Chad would have trouble winning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.