Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 20 million reasons why...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
THE SOURCE

Read and Discuss
Mean Mister Mustard
Couple of things.

- Call me crazy but you and Sugar Q have done nothing but start Mayweather threads or threads that lead to a Mayweather discussion. Strange.

- The article acknowledges that Mayweather is taking on a smaller man.

- Mayweather beat Hatton in 10 rds not 11.

- When you say "20 million reasons why" I assume that's reffering to the amount of money tht PBF is destined to make. If that is the only motivation at this stage of Mayweather's career that only shows you he's not terribly interested in his legacy, which is good but not ATG. Or maybe he has to fight for the $$$ because he needs it? I'm sure MarzB will come around and clarify that for us since he's our resident PBF expert.

D-MARV
Actually MMM,

I brought this topic because I thought it was very interesting. I wanted to know what people thought about Mayweather getting 20 million for his fight with Marquez. I don't know about you but my jaw dropped when I saw that figure. I'll believe it when I see it but it's certainly shocking that that figure was even brought up.

- Call me crazy but you and Sugar Q have done nothing but start Mayweather threads or threads that lead to a Mayweather discussion. Strange.

YOU FAIL...

My last FIVE threads have been about topics other than Mayweather. Go back and check for yourself. So, if you're out to prove that I'm a Floyd hugger then quit cause that is far from the truth.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 10 2009, 12:16 PM) *
Actually MMM,

I brought this topic because I thought it was very interesting. I wanted to know what people thought about Mayweather getting 20 million for his fight with Marquez. I don't know about you but my jaw dropped when I saw that figure. I'll believe it when I see it but it's certainly shocking that that figure was even brought up.

YOU FAIL...

My last FIVE threads have been about topics other than Mayweather. Go back and check for yourself. So, if you're out to prove that I'm a Floyd hugger then quit cause that is far from the truth.

Hehe come one I'm just saying you started the "Forgotten Warrior thread", the Sr thread and now this one. Plus you constantly try to justify Mayweather's decision to fight Marquez, I'm just telling it like it is.

Regarding the figure, I'm not sure how accurate that is but if it is, man that's some serious dough.
Method
No money figures were announced, but according to some sources

Straight from "THE SOURCE"

I'd be REAL SURPRISED if there was $30,000,000 being GUARANTEED. Not saying it ain't happening, but if it IS, then whoever is putting that money up, with two guys that have never been the A side of a Block Buster PPV. Again, IF it IS true, I'll be real surprised if whoever puts it up doesn't take a fiscal bath.
Lil-lightsout
I really do not see this fight as a big PPV success. Who really knows JMM besides the real boxing fans? Floyd probably generates some interest from his comeback, but I just do not see it being really profitable if they are paying him 20mil and JMM 10mil. Most fans already see it as a mismatch, though they are really down playing it. I have no clue how much tickets are going to be, but they better not overprice them for this fight.
EirbinX
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 10 2009, 01:39 PM) *
Hehe come one I'm just saying you started the "Forgotten Warrior thread", the Sr thread and now this one. Plus you constantly try to justify Mayweather's decision to fight Marquez, I'm just telling it like it is.

Regarding the figure, I'm not sure how accurate that is but if it is, man that's some serious dough.

Maybe he's Floyd "Joy" Mayweather Sr. Hmmmmm?????
D-MARV
I really expect the FLoyd-JMM to do at least 500K...

With Margarito gone, Marquez is the face of mexican boxing and Floyd's return alone will bring numbers. I doubt seriously Floyd makes 20 million but if Marquez is making 10 then I'm happy. Shit if Marquez makes half that then I'm happy.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (EirbinX @ May 10 2009, 03:24 PM) *
Maybe he's Floyd "Joy" Mayweather Sr. Hmmmmm?????

Call me crazy but you and Sugar Q have done nothing but start Mayweather threads or threads that lead to a Mayweather discussion

mhhhh.
D-MARV
I don't have time for you guys... I have some taco bell and Kool-Aid waiting on me. shiftyeyes_anim.gif
salvador
QUOTE (Method @ May 10 2009, 01:02 PM) *
I'd be REAL SURPRISED if there was $30,000,000 being GUARANTEED. Not saying it ain't happening, but if it IS, then whoever is putting that money up, with two guys that have never been the A side of a Block Buster PPV. Again, IF it IS true, I'll be real surprised if whoever puts it up doesn't take a fiscal bath.

There's no conceivable chance that Floyd's being guaranteed $20MM or that Marquez is guaranteed $10MM. Zero.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 10 2009, 02:57 PM) *
I don't have time for you guys... I have some taco bell and Kool-Aid waiting on me. shiftyeyes_anim.gif

dmarv i can drank kool aid all day but taco bell... i dont see how people eat that stuff over there....lol...
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 10 2009, 05:29 PM) *
dmarv i can drank kool aid all day but taco bell... i dont see how people eat that stuff over there....lol...

I take it you didn't see Hatton-Pacquiao 24-7...

those clowns were calling me floyd Sr.
torvix2000
So Floyd's after the money. Haters should stop hatin'. Just lower Floyd in your ranking.
kingknockout
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 10 2009, 03:57 PM) *

*daps and pounds* lol
Sugar Q
QUOTE (salvador @ May 10 2009, 04:17 PM) *
There's no conceivable chance that Floyd's being guaranteed $20MM or that Marquez is guaranteed $10MM. Zero.

Sal I dont know about 20 mill but I wouldn't be surprised. I guarantee you PBF will make more than Manny made for Hatton though. In the neighborhood of 17-18 mill. This fight is bigger than haters want it to be. Marquez is a great fighter. It's funny people say that Mayweather isn't a big draw but all will be watching this fight. I think it will be bigger than most people think.
salvador
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 11 2009, 11:37 AM) *
Sal I dont know about 20 mill but I wouldn't be surprised. I guarantee you PBF will make more than Manny made for Hatton though. In the neighborhood of 17-18 mill. This fight is bigger than haters want it to be. Marquez is a great fighter. It's funny people say that Mayweather isn't a big draw but all will be watching this fight. I think it will be bigger than most people think.

As many times as these types of conversations have come up, I still haven't heard a conclusive answer as to exactly what percentage of the PPV the cable companies (HBO included with Comcast, Time Warner ect.) actually get.

According to someone here (Meth I think), Hatton-Floyd sold 1.2MM PPV in ENGLAND. That makes me think that Hatton is very clearly a bigger draw than Floyd and that the Pac-Hatton fight probably did some pretty huge numbers and that Pac was well paid.

I really just don't think Floyd-JMM does that big of business. Floyd's only big PPVs have been against superstars, and JMM ain't a superstar. We know Floyd-JMM ain't going to be doing $1.2MM PPVs in England and I seriously doubt it does more than 600k PPV buys here. Again, I have no idea of what the take of those PPVs are ($50 X 600K = $30MM). I would guess that the cable companies take half of that ($15MM), but I don't know. The gate won't be more than $4MM (20,000 X $200 per ticket = $4MM), and that estimate feels conservatively high as it doesn't include the facility fee.

So overall, my guess is that the fight will gross less than $20MM stateside. Maybe $10MM internationally is reasonable, but it sure doesn't feel reasonable. In any case, it's hard to imagine anyone GUARANTEEING $30MM to the fighters.

jp
There's no way anyone is guaranteeing 20 and 10 for this fight, 10 and 5 maybe but not 30 mil total. The fight would have to do over 1 mil buys for that to even make sense and that's not going to happen.

I think best case scenario PBF gets 10-12mil and Marquez gets 5-7 mil. From everything that I've read Marquez seems to be ecstatic to finally get a big payday and he's someone that actually deserves that kind of cash. Even though I think Floyud is going to win, nobody is going to just come in and beat JMM's ass so it should still be a pretty interesting fight which hopefully set's up Pac vs Floyd in Dec/Jan.
Method
Steve Kim reported that he hears Floyd looking at $15M, which is STILL extremely high, IMO.
Sugar Q
If it was possible for PBF to get 15 mill for Spinks then he should be able to get at least that or a little more for Marquez. Guess we'll know shortly.
D-MARV
Floyd making 15 million to fight Marquez while Pac doesn't even make that fighting Hatton...

and Floyd needs Pac? LOL
jp
QUOTE (Method @ May 11 2009, 03:12 PM) *
Steve Kim reported that he hears Floyd looking at $15M, which is STILL extremely high, IMO.

Wow
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 10 2009, 02:40 PM) *
I really expect the FLoyd-JMM to do at least 500K...

With Margarito gone, Marquez is the face of mexican boxing and Floyd's return alone will bring numbers. I doubt seriously Floyd makes 20 million but if Marquez is making 10 then I'm happy. Shit if Marquez makes half that then I'm happy.

I'm with you man..This PPV is going to do at least 500K..If you ask me,I'd tell you it'll do even more than that..Floyd is coming back and everyone wants to see what he looks like after the lay off..WWE fans may buy it because of his thing with Big Show even..He is getting promotions on TV that we may hate but other people like..Example---The commercial he is in..He is a smart guy when it comes to promoting himself..This ontop of all the people who want to see how he looks these days in the ring..If he beats Marquez(which I think he will),he should be lookin at a mega fight with Pac-man..Pac-man wants it and I feel so does Mayweather does too..

I think Mayweather came back for 2 reasons..1---money,2---to be P4P again..He hates it that Pac-man is P4P..He didn't want anyone to be P4P EVER after he left..He is soundin like a bitch about that shit..He thinks the P4P title should never be filled because of him..He's a baby..Gotta have mad respect for him in the ring though..I'll never side against him in any fight ever..I have done it twice before and after that,never again..He dominates the guys I think will beat him..
Sugar Q
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 11 2009, 03:34 PM) *
Floyd making 15 million to fight Marquez while Pac doesn't even make that fighting Hatton...

and Floyd needs Pac? LOL

My point exactly D and the thing is Marquez is getting paid much more for fighting PBF then he did fighting Pacquiao. They promote The Pacman as the cash cow but look who really brings the big bucks.
salvador
QUOTE (Method @ May 11 2009, 02:12 PM) *

I really want someone here (or a Fighthype staffer) to give some sort of ballpark figure as to how much the cable companies (Comcast/Time Warner types) get as a piece of PPV.

Just from my back of the envelope calculation, $15MM would mean that someone believes this fight will do more than 700K PPV buys, which might happen, but it's no way guaranteed. That seems reasonable as a high end possibility, but "looking at $15MM" and being guaranteed $15MM are very different things. I sincerely think Floyd made a mistake here, because I don't believe there's going to be a huge amount of interest in this fight and I think if he does less than 500K PPV buys (a very real possibility), it'll severely damage his negotiating position with Arum.

gbh32001
Floyd is saleable to the public because everybody hate him, they want to see someone that will beat his ass.JMM might be the one, but Pac will knock out Floyd before the 12th round ends. Floyd defense is highly overrated, from what i feel he has a weak chin...Judah drop him, Hatton in the first round make him chicken dance. If Pac will land those short left cross Floyd will wake up next to hatton Land.
salvador
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 11 2009, 02:34 PM) *

and Floyd needs Pac? LOL

Who said Pac didn't make that fighting Hatton? And I'll believe the $15MM for Floyd fighting JMM when I hear it confirmed.
salvador
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 11 2009, 04:00 PM) *
My point exactly D and the thing is Marquez is getting paid much more for fighting PBF then he did fighting Pacquiao. They promote The Pacman as the cash cow but look who really brings the big bucks.

JMM lost the first fight and was in a terrible negotiating position for the second fight, which did like 400K PPV I think. I think it's reasonable to speculate that Pac took a much bigger percentage of his second fight with JMM than Floyd will with JMM.

And right now, after Pac's fights with DLH and Hatton, Pac is way hotter than he was when he fought JMM. Not to mention that Floyd is thrilled to fight the tiny guy and I'm sure was way more flexible in his negotiating stance because he's so completely sure he's going to win - it makes way more sense for Floyd to have gotten JMM's signature at any cost than it did for Pac at the time.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (salvador @ May 11 2009, 05:15 PM) *
JMM lost the first fight and was in a terrible negotiating position for the second fight, which did like $400K PPV I think. I think it's reasonable to speculate that Pac took a much bigger percentage of his second fight with JMM than Floyd will with JMM.

And right now, after Pac's fights with DLH and Hatton, Pac is way hotter than he was when he fought JMM. Not to mention that Floyd is thrilled to fight the tiny guy and I'm sure was way more flexible in his negotiating stance because he's so completely sure he's going to win - it makes way more sense for Floyd to have gotten JMM's signature at any cost than it did for Pac at the time.

I think PBF's getting big bank similar to how Oscar was able to make his ridiculous sums of money fighting nobodies. Not saying PBF is getting Oscar money but I think he's closer to it than Manny is.
salvador
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 11 2009, 04:23 PM) *
I think PBF's getting big bank similar to how Oscar was able to make his ridiculous sums of money fighting nobodies. Not saying PBF is getting Oscar money but I think he's closer to it than Manny is.

The difference between Floyd and DLH is that DLH was the guy who was the draw, whereas Floyd needs a star to sell a fight. It's a very big difference. DLH could fight Mayorga after Tito destroyed Mayorga and still do 925k PPVs and only give Mayorga $2MM. THAT is a money maker.

Floyd can't pull them in to pay to see him fight unless he's fighting a big star. Right now, Pac could fight Valero or Guzman and do serious PPV numbers whereas if FLoyd was to fight either of those guys and demand that it be on PPV, HBO would laugh him out of the building.

KookedKrack
i hope those numbers are true and I'm glad Marquez is finally getting a big payday
jp
QUOTE (salvador @ May 11 2009, 05:04 PM) *
I really want someone here (or a Fighthype staffer) to give some sort of ballpark figure as to how much the cable companies (Comcast/Time Warner types) get as a piece of PPV.

Just from my back of the envelope calculation, $15MM would mean that someone believes this fight will do more than 700K PPV buys, which might happen, but it's no way guaranteed. That seems reasonable as a high end possibility, but "looking at $15MM" and being guaranteed $15MM are very different things. I sincerely think Floyd made a mistake here, because I don't believe there's going to be a huge amount of interest in this fight and I think if he does less than 500K PPV buys (a very real possibility), it'll severely damage his negotiating position with Arum.

Cable companies take 50%.

thehype
QUOTE (Method @ May 11 2009, 03:12 PM) *

Co-sign. I'm also hearing from a few different people in and around HBO that the number is $15 million...Marquez isn't making anything near that. I heard he's only getting a few mill...still though, his biggest payday to date.
JLUVBABY
marquez mayweather is gonna do good numbers because of the hispanic audience... if they fight in vegas or los angelas the live gate is gonna be off the charts as well...
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 12 2009, 12:26 AM) *
People keep forgetting that the numbers will also be better than usual because of the lay off. History tells us that people coming out of retirement or a layoff usually do generate more interest.

O.K, whatever...

Mayweather-Paquiao is about as even as you can get. 50-50!
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 12 2009, 07:17 AM) *
DLH coming off a lay off with Mayorga was on par with Mosley II, beat the first Mosley fight and not far behind the Hopkins fight. Did 925,000 and that was Mayorga, then look at Tsyon-McNeeley, that did 1.59 million. Against McNeeley, lol. That's in the top 10 of all time. It's correct that recognised fighters draw more coming off a lay off than they would if it wasn't such a long lay off. So not sure if you think it doesn't play a factor, but it does.

I'm not disageeing with you at all. But that still doesn't excuse the fact that Mayweather-Pacquiao is about as even as you can get (purse wise).
Big Slim Sweet
I'll say this, if Floyd is really making 15 million for this Marquez fight then he'll never consider anything less than 60-40 to fight Pacquaio and that will simply become another potential Mayweather superfight that never happens.
salvador
QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 12 2009, 03:07 PM) *
I'll say this, if Floyd is really making 15 million for this Marquez fight then he'll never consider anything less than 60-40 to fight Pacquaio and that will simply become another potential Mayweather superfight that never happens.

If there's one thing you don't ever have to worry about it's Floyd passing on a fight with Pac. There's absolutely no chance whatsoever that Floyd will blow a huge payday for fighting a smaller guy.

If Williams moves back to 147 and starts generating huge PPV numbers and a potential Floyd-Williams fight becomes the talk of boxing, THEN worry about Floyd demanding too much of the purse. Until then, sleep easy.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (salvador @ May 12 2009, 04:25 PM) *
If there's one thing you don't ever have to worry about it's Floyd passing on a fight with Pac. There's absolutely no chance whatsoever that Floyd will blow a huge payday for fighting a smaller guy.

If Williams moves back to 147 and starts generating huge PPV numbers and a potential Floyd-Williams fight becomes the talk of boxing, THEN worry about Floyd demanding too much of the purse. Until then, sleep easy.

i agree no way floyd does not let this fight happen... its a fight he thinks he can win and he may have a rematch clause win or lose set up to where he gets the upepr end on the rematch but i am sure this fight happens.. it may not be next because i dont think pacs people are confident in his ability to win that fight but its coming... thing is i dont think they should be putting him in with cotto till after they make that fight... pac loses one fight and that fight loses all its luster.. i'm hoping clottey beats cotto so pac really has no where else to turn money wise... a lot of times people try to say a fighter is ducking when its not the fighter its the handlers of the fighter making fights not happen or hard to make...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.