Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
I would love to be able to find and read an extensive behind the scenes detailed article or book about the DLH vs. Chavez fights as it pertains to the national pressure on DLH and how everything unfolded in the public because of DLH fighting and beating the legendary Chavez.

I remember reading a brief bit on ESPN recently after DLH retired and it just made me want to read much more on this because it seems like a helluva story.

Out of the entire article about DLH's retirement, this little bit was what got my attention:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=4068915
But almost four years later, De La Hoya made the worst mistake of his career and perhaps his life: He faced Chavez in a fight that ended in a bloodbath, a bout that never should have been made in the first place. Greed and ambition ranked above all for De La Hoya at that time. Worse, after beating Chavez once, he challenged him to a rematch in 1998, when the Mexican idol was practically climbing to the ring using a walking cane.

To certain parts of the American and Mexican boxing faithful, Julio Cesar Chavez was and is the idol, the "Aztec warrior" who could never be toppled. Living, thinking, dreaming, breathing and boxing against a ghost is a losing battle, even for a super talent such as De La Hoya.

And that's how the piece ENDS. I'm thinking that an entire extensive piece could be written detailing that aspect to the fights.

anyone else agree?
Mean Mister Mustard
Maybe they are saying that it was the worst mistake he made in temrs of legacy? That it set up this perception of DLH as an opportunist who was more concerned about the $$$? I too am confused about the vagueness of that quote so I would have to read the article.

If you want more info Byrman, you could read DLH's book, he talks about that fight in there.

One thing is for sure, that was a pussymove on DLH's part fighting Chavez a 2nd time and at 147 yet he refused to give Whitaker a rematch after he had stated he would.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 10 2009, 09:43 PM) *
Based on that small bit you posted, I'm not really sure what the whole point of that article is or how it was bad for Oscar. I'm kind of scratching my head to be honest, but that's just what I read in that article. How was it the worst mistake of DLH's career? He went on to become the biggest earning fighter in boxing history. How was this a bad move for his career?

I think what the point was that from the standpoint of how DLH is viewed by Mexican fans. Coming up and beating a legendary and much beloved fighter, and then challenging him again when he was on the way out.

I just thought that was an interesting angle that I hadn't really read about.
Lil-lightsout
From what little bit I read, that article is stupid. Chavez was far from walking with a cane, Chavez built his whole career feasting on bums, and beating great fighters too. About time he got an ass whooping, and it is not like he was forced to fight Oscar. I am sure he got paid a pretty penny for his fights with him, so I do not see the problem. All greats have to lose sometime. So what if Oscar beat a Mexican hero, his fans and huggers can think what they want, Oscar did what any ambitious boxer would have done.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 10 2009, 10:16 PM) *
From what little bit I read, that article is stupid. Chavez was far from walking with a cane, Chavez built his whole career feasting on bums, and beating great fighters too. About time he got an ass whooping, and it is not like he was forced to fight Oscar. I am sure he got paid a pretty penny for his fights with him, so I do not see the problem. All greats have to lose sometime. So what if Oscar beat a Mexican hero, his fans and huggers can think what they want, Oscar did what any ambitious boxer would have done.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
The CEO
DLH is an asshole....and the Chavez fights were just a couple of several plans that backfired on him throughout his career....he thought that if he buried Chavez, he would inherit all of his fans....boy was he ever wrong...LOL!!

I don't give a damn he's the wealthiest fighter ever....I'll PERSONALLY remember him as being the fakest, most shameless, shrewdest, big fight losing, SOULLESS BITCH of all time....

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 10 2009, 11:22 PM) *
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Chavez had only one official loss going into the first ODLH fight(Randall), though it should have been atleast three(Whitaker, and early DQ loss reversed conveniantly).

Well if Chavez was walking to the ring with practically a cane, how the fuck did he go 8 rounds???????????????????????????????????????????????

How the fuck did Chavez win 4 straight fights and a get a draw with 42-1 Miguel Angel Gonzales if he was so horrible, after losing to Oscar the first time??????????????

Why the fuck did Chavez take the rematch if he was not fit and ready?????????????????????????????????

I seen the fight live, and Chavez fought tough before quitting on his stool, and he managed to win a few rounds. Sure he was not a prime Chavez, but the author exaggerates the truth to make Oscar look bad. Maybe if Chavez managed his money better he would not have needed the fight or money????????????????????????

As for saying "feasting on bums his whole career" was definately worded wrong by me. I shall say he feasted on bums, like his son does now, early on in his career. Which he ended up padding his record, which it is what it is. Chavez fought many great, and good fighters, but he also fought many mediocre fighters as stay busy fights to stay sharp, and for his Mexican fans, which there is nothing wrong with that. Shit... I wish today's fighters did that today for more exposure.

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 10 2009, 11:00 PM) *
Chavez had only one official loss going into the first ODLH fight(Randall), though it should have been atleast three(Whitaker, and early DQ loss reversed conveniantly).

Well if Chavez was walking to the ring with practically a cane, how the fuck did he go 8 rounds???????????????????????????????????????????????

How the fuck did Chavez win 4 straight fights and a get a draw with 42-1 Miguel Angel Gonzales if he was so horrible, after losing to Oscar the first time??????????????

Why the fuck did Chavez take the rematch if he was not fit and ready?????????????????????????????????

I seen the fight live, and Chavez fought tough before quitting on his stool, and he managed to win a few rounds. Sure he was not a prime Chavez, but the author exaggerates the truth to make Oscar look bad. Maybe if Chavez managed his money better he would not have needed the fight or money????????????????????????

As for saying "feasting on bums his whole career" was definately worded wrong by me. I shall say he feasted on bums, like his son does now, early on in his career. Which he ended up padding his record, which it is what it is. Chavez fought many great, and good fighters, but he also fought many mediocre fighters as stay busy fights to stay sharp, and for his Mexican fans, which there is nothing wrong with that. Shit... I wish today's fighters did that today for more exposure.

He showed up in shape for that fight. The Gonzalez fight was a bore in whihc both fighters were tentative which leads me to believe fouplay. Why did Chavez take the rematch? Because he thought he could win. Chavez was a stubbonr man, which helped him become a great fighter but late in his career, when his skills eroded it hurt him. Oh and he also fought on because he needed the dough like you said. Point is, DLH was a jerkoff for giving Chavez a rematch and not to Whitaker.

I agree with the last paragraph of your post.
torvix2000
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 11 2009, 05:49 AM) *
He didn't need his fans, he still ended up with the most and more than anyone could dream of. Plus, what would you prefer........a bunch of mexican's supporting you, or a shitload of girls that would want to ride your cock every single day of the week? I wouldn't be choosing the mexican's. laugh.gif

LOL! I've seen lots of hot Mexican girls during DLH's fights!
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ May 10 2009, 11:53 PM) *
DLH is an asshole....and the Chavez fights were just a couple of several plans that backfired on him throughout his career....he thought that if he buried Chavez, he would inherit all of his fans....boy was he ever wrong...LOL!!

I don't give a damn he's the wealthiest fighter ever....I'll PERSONALLY remember him as being the fakest, most shameless, shrewdest, big fight losing, SOULLESS BITCH of all time....

that's the same mentality that tarver had with roy jones. "if i beat him, all his fans will love me more" i think mayweather has tried that too, and it eventually worked.

yeah, he just seems like a two faced asshole. smiles and nice guy in the camera and then a total douchebag to people behind the scenes. i believed vargas when he said dlh was a total dick in the gym.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.