Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's next for chad dawson?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kingknockout
since observing his last fight with tarver i can tell the kid is still hungry for that really big fight, but where else is there to go from here, he's still undefeated as we speak......and his last fight wasn't that amusing to me, he has some kind of power under there but he's not really a knockout artist...i'd like to see hopkins fight him and show him what a true technician is.

or maybe him and Pavlik could work out something once Pav dominates sergio mora.
JonnyBlaze
I hope more than anything he fights Glen Johnson again..Johnson deserves a rematch/title fight more than anyone at light heavy..

I feel Dawson is not too sure about getting another W over Johnson and he really sounded like that was how he felt after he fought Tarver..
kingknockout
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 12 2009, 02:19 AM) *
I hope more than anything he fights Glen Johnson again..Johnson deserves a rematch/title fight more than anyone at light heavy..

I feel Dawson is not too sure about getting another W over Johnson and he really sounded like that was how he felt after he fought Tarver..

u seen that too LOL,....the guy asked him about a possible rematch with glen and dawson kind of had that look on his face...ya know? THAT LOOK LMFAO.....and he was stumbling over his words.
King Eugene
I say fight Johnson, Drop to SMW and take on some of the top guys, or try to unify all the LHW belts. Doing that would cause him to have to fight atleast 4 times a year but that would be great for his fans.

As far as Tarver...I dont like the dude but I think he could make some noise at Cruiserweight, hell follow his most talked about idle Roy Jones and test the heavyweight waters. LHW has no more room for him though.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (kingknockout @ May 12 2009, 01:38 AM) *
u seen that too LOL,....the guy asked him about a possible rematch with glen and dawson kind of had that look on his face...ya know? THAT LOOK LMFAO.....and he was stumbling over his words.

For sure!!hahaha..

He still have nightmares about Johnson..Then he wakes up and rolls over and says to his wife "tell me it's all going to be ok"..Then she tells him its going to be ok,then he asks her to hold him..

This is what Glen Johnson does to guys..
D-MARV
LMAO...

I hope Dawson gets Hopkins so he can really prove how good he is.
Douchebag
Lil-lightsout
Either fighting Johnson or Hopkins would be fine by me. Both would be competative exciting scraps.
Mean Mister Mustard
3 years ago it would not have surprised me to have seen HBO allow Dawson to fight C level comp for million dollar paydays. Now however, it seems like HBO is getting their shit together and said no more. Sure they paid him for an unecessary rematch against Tarver but I think they were hoping that it would be his showcase fight for bigger things. Problem is he didn't impress and now he has to take on a tough challenge and that probably is Glen Johnson.

Luckily for Dawson, Johsnon is 1 year older and hopefully slower so this one might be easier. Although that should have been true against Tarver too and it wasn't.

He should also take on the winner of Diaconu-Pascal, which will most likely be Diaconu. And let me tell you, if you think Johnson was tough, wait t'ill you see diaconu in there with Dawson.

By the way, anyone notice that over at The Ring they say that Dawson is still no.2 at Lt.Heavy and Hopkins is still no.1? Dawson has beaten Johnson and Tarver what has Hopkins done other than lose to Calzaghe and beat a middleweight?
Method
This is what Glen Johnson does to guys..

...at least guys named "Chad Dawson".
D-MARV
Dawson and Johnson fought a highly competitive fight. Dawson got the win. (Nowhere near a Robery)

Dawson went on to fight Tarver... a guy who beat Johnson. Now Dawson has called out Hopkins... a guy who DESTROYED Johnson.

I'm pretty sure Dawson ain't afraid of Johnson. Dawson is looking for fights that's going to build him up. Hopkins is what he wants. I'm sure if Hopkis doesn't work out and Dawson can't pull in any other NAME fighters then he would not have a problem fighting Johnson.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 12 2009, 10:13 AM) *
Dawson and Johnson fought a highly competitive fight. Dawson got the win. (Nowhere near a Robery)

Dawson went on to fight Tarver... a guy who beat Johnson. Now Dawson has called out Hopkins... a guy who DESTROYED Johnson.

I'm pretty sure Dawson ain't afraid of Johnson. Dawson is looking for fights that's going to build him up. Hopkins is what he wants. I'm sure if Hopkis doesn't work out and Dawson can't pull in any other NAME fighters then he would not have a problem fighting Johnson.

The problem is that aside from Hopkins what other name fighters are out there? Calzaghe is retired and if he did come back, one has to assume it would be against Froch over in England. That leaves the Supermiddleweight division where Kessler and Bute reside but these guys, while being the best of the division and extremely talented, are not going to generate the same $$$ that a Hopkins or Calzaghe fight would make. I also wonder how Dawson would look going back down to 168 pounds, would he be a little drained?

His best bet now is to go straight to Johnson, the fans want to see it and I'm sure HBO wants it.
D-MARV
Dawson-Bute would do well in Canada. Bute is like Pacquiao over there.

I read somewhere that Dawson walks around at 185, so 168 is possible but I think he's best served at 175...

If Hopkins-Dawson doesn't happen then all fingers point towards Johnson.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 12 2009, 02:10 PM) *
Dawson-Bute would do well in Canada. Bute is like Pacquiao over there.

I read somewhere that Dawson walks around at 185, so 168 is possible but I think he's best served at 175...

If Hopkins-Dawson doesn't happen then all fingers point towards Johnson.

I still don't get why Bute is so damn popular.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 12 2009, 02:14 PM) *
I still don't get why Bute is so damn popular.

I don't know either... He sales out all of his fights. He's a pretty damn good fighter too.
Big Slim Sweet
Froch seems big enough to carry 175 well. I could see HBO trying to make that one maybe.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 12 2009, 04:30 PM) *
Froch seems big enough to carry 175 well. I could see HBO trying to make that one maybe.

I didn't think about that.

Froch is HUGE for 168.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 12 2009, 01:19 AM) *

i agree with that statement and johnson deserves the rematch... it would for sure be a better fight than tarver and i also feel johnson won the first fight... not sure dawson wants anymore of johnson either... that was a look like damn his name is coming up again..lol... who else is there?... hopkins wont fight him thats for sure...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Method @ May 12 2009, 09:49 AM) *
...at least guys named "Chad Dawson".

Well with exception to B-Hop..Everyone else is shook..
Method
I'm pretty sure Dawson ain't afraid of Johnson.

...and you're basing this on what? The fact that Dawson damn near shits his pants and falls into stutter mode whenever the prospect of Johnson is mentioned? C'mon. Admit it. Every major outlet in the industry this week has admit that Dawson wants NO PART of a Johnson rematch, for the very reason that he was lucky to get the W the first time.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 12 2009, 07:22 PM) *
Glen Johnson is a guy that can make close fights with top guys, but not good enough to win them clearly.

I'll never forget his fights with Tarver..I love those fights..

Glen is the most avoided guy at light heavy..No one wants to have to fight him..I was surprised Dawson's voice didn't start to get squeeky when awnsering the question about Johnson..He was scared!!!Tarver did not want to do a trilogy with him..Roy may of said he wanted him again,but in reality was scared..No one speaks his name or calls him out and is serious about it..
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ May 12 2009, 08:32 PM) *
...and you're basing this on what? The fact that Dawson damn near shits his pants and falls into stutter mode whenever the prospect of Johnson is mentioned? C'mon. Admit it. Every major outlet in the industry this week has admit that Dawson wants NO PART of a Johnson rematch, for the very reason that he was lucky to get the W the first time.

Dawson will fight Johnson if he has too... The only man that seems hesitate to fight anyone at Light Heavy is Hopkins. He hasn't a legit Light Heavy in 3 years.

Chad wants Hopkins!!!! If Hopkins doesn't want to fight then He'll fight Johnson.
Mean Mister Mustard
You know who pisses me off at Lt.Heavy? Zsolt Erdei, the man beat Gonzalez to take the WBO trinket and arguably the linear title and what does he do? Pull an Ottke and stay in Europe. NO, actually, Ottke at least fought Byron Mitchell and even Glen Johnson.
D-MARV
They brought his name up at the fight on Saturday... Lampley said something to the effect of... He is the most unknown, longest reigning, undefeated champ in the history of the sport. LOL
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 12 2009, 09:22 PM) *
They brought his name up at the fight on Saturday... Lampley said something to the effect of... He is the most unknown, longest reigning, undefeated champ in the history of the sport. LOL

Really? I turned it off after the fight was done. Hobestly the guy had one good win. He showed heart in another fight in which he fought with a dislocated arm I believe, I'd have to check just what exactly his injury was but apart from that he hasn't done much.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 12 2009, 09:20 PM) *
You know who pisses me off at Lt.Heavy? Zsolt Erdei, the man beat Gonzalez to take the WBO trinket and arguably the linear title and what does he do? Pull an Ottke and stay in Europe. NO, actually, Ottke at least fought Byron Mitchell and even Glen Johnson.

He's probably pulling a Calzaghe and waiting on these guys to get old first.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (3King3 @ May 12 2009, 08:49 PM) *
He's probably pulling a Calzaghe and waiting on these guys to get old first.

LOL yeah. At least Calzaghe fought some good guys. I just went on boxrec to see who he has fought since he beat Gonzalez and I have to say they are pathetic. Some smart guy might say "Well maybe they are good but you don't know them because you don't follow the European scene" and that's fair enough. However, once you reach the level he has in which he proves to himself that he can beat a Julio Gonzalez, he should be testing himself against the elite of the division, meaning the top 10. And let's face it, most are in the U.S
King Eugene
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 12 2009, 09:58 PM) *
LOL yeah. At least Calzaghe fought some good guys. I just went on boxrec to see who he has fought since he beat Gonzalez and I have to say they are pathetic. Some smart guy might say "Well maybe they are good but you don't know them because you don't follow the European scene" and that's fair enough. However, once you reach the level he has in which he proves to himself that he can beat a Julio Gonzalez, he should be testing himself against the elite of the division, meaning the top 10. And let's face it, most are in the U.S

Are these European guys he's facing his mandatories?
Method
The only man that seems hesitate to fight anyone at Light Heavy is Hopkins. He hasn't a legit Light Heavy in 3 years

That's because there are no more legit light heavies! LOL. Gimme a break. Hopkins OWNED Glen Johnson. He owned him then and would OWN him now. He's sparred w Glenn over the years since their first fight, and owned him all along the way. Hopkins aint sweating any of the light heavies because NONE f them get him p-a-i-d.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ May 13 2009, 06:55 AM) *
That's because there are no more legit light heavies! LOL. Gimme a break. Hopkins OWNED Glen Johnson. He owned him then and would OWN him now. He's sparred w Glenn over the years since their first fight, and owned him all along the way. Hopkins aint sweating any of the light heavies because NONE f them get him p-a-i-d.

LOL... there's Dawson!
BigG
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 13 2009, 01:20 AM) *

Ottke was a disgrace. He got a huge gift vs. Robin Reid. Alot of fans claim he got a GIFT against Glen Johnson. He also got a gift against Mads Larsen. I remember when him and Calzaghe were still fighting bums in the same dvision in Europe...two undefeated chumps right there. But to Calzaghe's credit, he wanted to fight Ottke, but Ottke knew Calzaghe woulda whooped him. Whooped him so bad, his precious paid off judges wouldnt even been able to save him. But Fuck Calzaghe. I really hated these two chumps. Calzaghe is the worst "P4P" fighter in the History of Boxing.
BigG
Yeah, Mundine was on his way to actually winning a decision! WTF Mudnine, you were up on the scorecards in GERMANY..and you got KTFO by a light ass puncher laugh.gif In a rematch, Mundine wouldve won.
Method
GL: "With all the controversy following the Glen Johnson fight obviously the fans want to see the fight. Is that something you would be interested in or do you think there's bigger fight's out there for Chad?"

Gary Shaw: "I think there are bigger fight's, I don't think we take the rematch. That would mean two rematches in a row against two forty year old fighters. I don't think that's what the fans want to see, they want to see an action packed fight, you know guys really throwing the leather not leaning on each other. You know I think it's the scribes that are yelling out for Glen Johnson, I haven't read any blogs where the fans say we have to have Glen Johnson, I think it's a figment of the writers imagination

WTF is Gary Shaw smoking? The want for a rematch of Johnson/Dawson is a figment of the writer's imagination? He doesnt see fans clamoring for it? Does this fuck even read the boards? WTF. EVERYBODY has been calling for it...and their first fight WAS action packed.
Lil-lightsout
Well after reading that B.S, Gary Shaw is no different than all the other scum trying to protect his fighter from a real challenge. He had no problem with the Tarver rematch, I guess because Dawson whipped Tarver the 1st time easily. Glenn Johnson is an exciting fighter who always comes to fight, and basically what he is saying there is too much risk in that fight. FUCK YOU Gary Shaw!!!
Mean Mister Mustard
Shaw's a joke, from the Corrales debacle, to him calling Donaire a dog, to always trying to sneak his face in the frame while one of his fighters is being interviewed to this makes me see why so many people hate him.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Method @ May 13 2009, 09:44 AM) *
WTF is Gary Shaw smoking? The want for a rematch of Johnson/Dawson is a figment of the writer's imagination? He doesnt see fans clamoring for it? Does this fuck even read the boards? WTF. EVERYBODY has been calling for it...and their first fight WAS action packed.

shaw know the deal glenn johnson gets in that ass with chad dawson and the money isnt big for that fight... the risk factor is high with low reward.. even if chad does better and actually is able to beat him this time he wont look good doing it... glenn has gotten much better as he got older and some wont agree but i think he gives hopkins the blues as well now... he got older and became a dam beast...
Method
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 14 2009, 08:28 PM) *
shaw know the deal glenn johnson gets in that ass with chad dawson and the money isnt big for that fight... the risk factor is high with low reward.. even if chad does better and actually is able to beat him this time he wont look good doing it... glenn has gotten much better as he got older and some wont agree but i think he gives hopkins the blues as well now... he got older and became a dam beast...

Not True. Glenn fights the EXACT same way he always has. If you've followed him from jump, you'd know that. BTW, Glenn's style is Taylor fucking made for Hopkins, and Ex would likely decision or stop him the EXACT same way.

I know for a fact that Hopkins has brought Johnson in as a sparring partner on occasion over the years and he basically abuses him exactly the same.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ May 15 2009, 05:26 AM) *
Not True. Glenn fights the EXACT same way he always has. If you've followed him from jump, you'd know that. BTW, Glenn's style is Taylor fucking made for Hopkins, and Ex would likely decision or stop him the EXACT same way.

I know for a fact that Hopkins has brought Johnson in as a sparring partner on occasion over the years and he basically abuses him exactly the same.

Agree...

That's Nard's game. He has the ability to deal with pressure. Nard has touble with young, quick, athletic guys like Taylor and Roy Jones. Another reason why Dawson would give Nard a hard time.
1zz
The Johnson fight makes the most sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.