Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: John Ruiz -- Hall of Famer?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Byrd Man
say what you will about his ugly style, but the man has an impressive resume. Add in several fights that he should have gotten the nod but didn't, and it's even more so.

Two time champion, and while it doesn't mean as much as it used to, still....two time champion.

kingknockout
HELL NO lol nea.gif
King Eugene
WTF? Close this thread and ban this dude! John Ruiz will always be known as the only Heavyweight champ to lose to two former middleweights. F*VK Him with a mop handle and no Vaseline!
Jack 1000
LOL!!!!

I think Byrdman has relatives in the WBA! Hehehehe.

Jack
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (3King3 @ May 12 2009, 01:51 AM) *
WTF? Close this thread and ban this dude! John Ruiz will always be known as the only Heavyweight champ to lose to two former middleweights. F*VK Him with a mop handle and no Vaseline!

Unfortunately,only one middleweight..Toney's fight with him got all fucked up after they found out Toney used roids in the fight..I was so pissed when I found that shit out..Toney is Toney's worst opponent in and outside the ring..He could of been heavyweight champ and had that shit added to his legacy..Yet,he fucked it up and had it taken away for testing positive..Really sucks!!I'll always be a Toney fan though but it's hard to be a fan of a heavyweight James Toney..How the hell can he not get in shape at the professional level??
AussieLad
John The Sleeping Pill Ruiz.... in the HOF... fuck no.
D-MARV
He BEAT EVANDER"S ASS....

LOL
Lil-lightsout
Probably not, though he did beat a good bunch of heavyweights with his ugly ass style. Ruiz did lose bad to Toney, Jones, and Tua, and many of his wins were close borefests. Not really HOF worthy IMO.
Mean Mister Mustard
The HOF has lowered their standars these past few years into allowing near damn anybody. The Hall is supposed to be reserved for fighters who excelled at the sport, EXCELLED. However, the yearly ceremonies in which fighters receive their rings is a tourist attraction. If only the elite are enshrined, as is supposed to be the case, then there would be few inductions every year and thus the spectacle would be diminished. Remember that for many of the tourists, the attraction is to go see the fighters. So what happens is that every year they induct some good fighters who were above average but hardly elite.

So with these low standards would Ruiz be in? I say no 1- Because he is a heavyweight and heavyweight contenders are rarely inducted. 2- If Gatti will almost surely be given HOF status based on his fan following and reputation then the same could be used against Ruiz seeing as how he was a bore to watch in one of the worst periods of Heavyweight boxing ever.
Jack 1000
However,

If the HOF had a "Most Boring Fighter" category, I would admit John Ruiz in a heartbeat! LOL!

Jack
BGv2.0
On this topic...I think people tend to think with their dislike of Ruiz moreso than the guy's actual accomplishments. People tend to forget not only is he the VERY FIRST Latino HW Champion....he is the very first 2x Latino HW Champion.

And I think that aspect alone will warrent him a spot at some point....not anytime soon....but years from now....for sure if we NEVER recover from the current state of the HW division.

He has a very good resume with victories over recognized former champions. Is the only HW Champion of Latin heritage....considering what they do allow in....I don't see how those two aspects alone are not worthy of getting the guy in at some point.

AND....over the last few years he has actually gained fans....there was a time when Ruiz NEVER got any credit from anybody....he was pure hated by the fan community. Over the last few years I have noticed people giving him creidt for getting victories (ugly or not), having a very good resume and fighting absolutely anybody they put in front of him....so in that respect he seems to have actually gained a small following.....that was never the case before.
JD
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 12 2009, 02:36 AM) *
say what you will about his ugly style, but the man has an impressive resume. Add in several fights that he should have gotten the nod but didn't, and it's even more so.

Two time champion, and while it doesn't mean as much as it used to, still....two time champion.

No. The Hall of Fame if for great fighters, not shit fighters.

Ruiz was a two time titlist...yawn...so were a lot of fighters. Greg Haugen was a two time belt holder at lightweight, and a belt holder at junior welter, the chances of him being in the Hall of Fame or less than zero - just because Ruiz is a heavy shouldn't change the criteria. I mean, are we making room for Tim Witherspoon?
mrwigi
no
Spyder
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ May 12 2009, 12:01 PM) *
On this topic...I think people tend to think with their dislike of Ruiz moreso than the guy's actual accomplishments. People tend to forget not only is he the VERY FIRST Latino HW Champion....he is the very first 2x Latino HW Champion.

And I think that aspect alone will warrent him a spot at some point....

So he'd get a spot because he's latino? Shit, why don't we put Sam Peter in there too for being the first Nigerian Heavyweight Champion...or Chris Arreola for being the first Jabba the Hut title contender...
Douchebag
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 12 2009, 12:55 PM) *
So he'd get a spot because he's latino? Shit, why don't we put Sam Peter in there too for being the first Nigerian Heavyweight Champion...or Chris Arreola for being the first Jabba the Hut title contender...

As latino let me just speak for all of as and say that we will weight for the latino heavyweight champ.
Method
This thread is a joke, right?
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ May 12 2009, 01:39 PM) *
This thread is a joke, right?

That was my initial thought!
The CEO
D-MARV
LMAO!!!!!!!!!! taunt.gif

Thats gonna fuck him up
Byrd Man
HEY! That was uncalled for! lol
Douchebag
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ May 12 2009, 12:54 PM) *

Ike hit him with Hadoookik. LOL
JLUVBABY
i will say that john ruiz won a few fights that people didnt think he was gonna win but the guys he beat dont lead to the hall of fame.. he lost to a blown up middleweight... he was good but not an elite fighter.. there was some very good fighters that he never fought for what ever reason that i am sure would make anyone half way serious about putting him in the h.o.f right now forget about that travesty... i forget who said it but i agree the hall of fame has lowered their standards so i wont be surprised to see him in there one day... i think the h.o.f should be reserved for the truley elite fighters... theres guys in there that can be questioned...
Method
Their are far more disgusting fighters out there other than Ruiz

Name 5. Fuck it. Name three. I'll give you a cookie if they're all in the heavyweight division.

Ruiz is the most DISGUSTING heavyweight I have ever laid eyes on. Sure, there have been bigger palookas, but that's not what I am arguing. John Ruiz is the WORST.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 12 2009, 05:45 PM) *
Their are far more disgusting fighters out there other than Ruiz. He wasn't easy on the eye, but he at least tested himself which many fighters today can't say. He avoided nobody, and one of the few fighters I could respect in some way.

but does that make him hall of fame worthy fitz?... some may not agree but i dont think a fighter like gatti deserve h.o.f honers.. he was good... but not a hall of famer.... i know he's not in there yet but i am sure we will see him and ward in there at some point in time...
BigG
Gatti and Ruiz are not much different in accomplishments (although edge to Gatti slightly) BUT Gatti will get in because of all the Fights of the Years he gave us. He was an icon despite his mediocrity as a Champion. John Ruiz shouldn't get it in. NO WAY....He'd have to do something special RIGHT NOW..like destroy Vitali Klitschko.
MarzB
but the guys he beat dont lead to the hall of fame.

So much for Evander Holyfield.

I don't like his style but for being the frist latino heavyweight champ and having a good resume he defintiely gets in. Especially over some utterly overrated PUG like Gatti who "NEVER" beat anyone resembling an elite level fighter. The only "names" Gatti beat were guys way past their primes that HBO woudln't grant OTHERs to fight but I digress.

Gatti and Ruiz are not much different in accomplishments (although edge to Gatti slightly)

In WHAT way? Ruiz has guys on his resume that he's beaten that were LEGITMATE contenders and/or champions. He beat them no matter "HOW" boring we considered. Gatt's resume is full of C level fighters and whenever he test himself against B/A level competion he was BLASTED literally. Gatti made average guys like Ivan Robinson look GREAT!!.

Ruiz probably has only ONE utterly embarassing performance on his resume and thats the BEAT DOWN Tua put on him. Gatti's resume is FILLED with these.

There's a reason Lennox Lewis wouldn't fight Ruiz (and Byrd for that matters when those fights COULD have been made) and while I think Lewis would have beaten both, he definitely would have had problems.

I've always asked the question here and have never really gotten an answer. Yeah, Ruiz a totally UNaesthetically pleasing style. But why SHOULD he change it if it was effective for him??

Also, as much as I can't stand Ruiz, I'll take him ANYDAY over that "what about Pauly" overly hairy, Nikolai Valueve(that Ruiz beat twice IMO) anyday.

Ingemar Johanssen had a pretty non descript career with exception to his wins over Floyd Patterson and Henry Cooper and he's in.

Ken Norton is in primarily based on his win and performances OVER Ali. Ruiz's accomplishments rank HIGHER than both of these guys so yes, he's in primarily due to an already existing LOW barometer.
Big Slim Sweet
Fuck John Ruiz and fuck anybody who thinks he deserves to be in the hall of fame.

His only win of any distinction is Holyfield in a fight where he was KO'd by a body shot.

If Ruiz gets into the hall of fame I will drive to Canastota and blow the fucker up.

Fuck John Ruiz and the useless cunt that shat him out.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 13 2009, 10:56 AM) *
Fuck John Ruiz and fuck anybody who thinks he deserves to be in the hall of fame.

His only win of any distinction is Holyfield in a fight where he was KO'd by a body shot.

If Ruiz gets into the hall of fame I will drive to Canastota and blow the fucker up.

Fuck John Ruiz and the useless cunt that shat him out.

So i take it your a big fan of the guy.

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 13 2009, 09:38 AM) *
but the guys he beat dont lead to the hall of fame.

So much for Evander Holyfield.

I don't like his style but for being the frist latino heavyweight champ and having a good resume he defintiely gets in. Especially over some utterly overrated PUG like Gatti who "NEVER" beat anyone resembling an elite level fighter. The only "names" Gatti beat were guys way past their primes that HBO woudln't grant OTHERs to fight but I digress.

Gatti and Ruiz are not much different in accomplishments (although edge to Gatti slightly)

In WHAT way? Ruiz has guys on his resume that he's beaten that were LEGITMATE contenders and/or champions. He beat them no matter "HOW" boring we considered. Gatt's resume is full of C level fighters and whenever he test himself against B/A level competion he was BLASTED literally. Gatti made average guys like Ivan Robinson look GREAT!!.

Ruiz probably has only ONE utterly embarassing performance on his resume and thats the BEAT DOWN Tua put on him. Gatti's resume is FILLED with these.

There's a reason Lennox Lewis wouldn't fight Ruiz (and Byrd for that matters when those fights COULD have been made) and while I think Lewis would have beaten both, he definitely would have had problems.

I've always asked the question here and have never really gotten an answer. Yeah, Ruiz a totally UNaesthetically pleasing style. But why SHOULD he change it if it was effective for him??

Also, as much as I can't stand Ruiz, I'll take him ANYDAY over that "what about Pauly" overly hairy, Nikolai Valueve(that Ruiz beat twice IMO) anyday.

Ingemar Johanssen had a pretty non descript career with exception to his wins over Floyd Patterson and Henry Cooper and he's in.

Ken Norton is in primarily based on his win and performances OVER Ali. Ruiz's accomplishments rank HIGHER than both of these guys so yes, he's in primarily due to an already existing LOW barometer.

Johansson and those other subpar guys are in there for the reason I mentioned in my first post, the IBHOF needs a certain number of fighters to be inducted each year so that tourists have an incentive to make the trip to Canastota. Is that fair? No. If it were up to me only guys who have excelled at boxing would be in, guys like SRR, Ali, Pep etc.

But even with the lax standards of the IBHOF I don't think he will get in. Like I said Gatti will make it because he was exciting and because of his legendary wars. Now why would Ruiz get in? Being the first Latino Heavyweight champ does nothing for a fighter getting into the IBHOF just like being the first southpaw to win a featherweight title does. Now he beat the some good comp at heavyweight, yes but in today's division those guys are some of the worst in boxing history. Is that Ruiz's fault? No. And that's what makes it worse, because at least if he would have blew them away like Louis did he'd have a shot, but it is precisely the way in which Ruiz beat them that gives him no extra points. Clinching, rabbit punching, pretending to be hit in the balls, the constant whining... he had to do that to beat these guys? That's bad.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 13 2009, 11:15 AM) *
Johansson and those other subpar guys are in there for the reason I mentioned in my first post, the IBHOF needs a certain number of fighters to be inducted each year so that tourists have an incentive to make the trip to Canastota. Is that fair? No. If it were up to me only guys who have excelled at boxing would be in, guys like SRR, Ali, Pep etc.

But even with the lax standards of the IBHOF I don't think he will get in. Like I said Gatti will make it because he was exciting and because of his legendary wars. Now why would Ruiz get in? Being the first Latino Heavyweight champ does nothing for a fighter getting into the IBHOF just like being the first southpaw to win a featherweight title does. Now he beat the some good comp at heavyweight, yes but in today's division those guys are some of the worst in boxing history. Is that Ruiz's fault? No. And that's what makes it worse, because at least if he would have blew them away like Louis did he'd have a shot, but it is precisely the way in which Ruiz beat them that gives him no extra points. Clinching, rabbit punching, pretending to be hit in the balls, the constant whining... he had to do that to beat these guys? That's bad.

No way Gatti desreves to get into the hall so what he fought three wars with Micky Ward it's still Micky Ward it's not like he fought those fights with great fighters.

Every time Gatti stepped up he was nothing more than a punching bag. I don't care how exciting the guy was he didn't accomplish enough to be inducted.

Don't get me wrong i respect Gatti he had sh*t loads of heart but i don't think he should be inducted but then again we there are several fighters in the HOF who shouldn't be in ther so who knows.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ May 13 2009, 10:12 AM) *
So i take it your a big fan of the guy.

I'd say my disdain for him is about on par with the average self-respecting boxing fan.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 13 2009, 10:15 AM) *
Now he beat the some good comp at heavyweight, yes but in today's division those guys are some of the worst in boxing history. Is that Ruiz's fault? No. And that's what makes it worse, because at least if he would have blew them away like Louis did he'd have a shot, but it is precisely the way in which Ruiz beat them that gives him no extra points.

It is precisely the fact that in today's division those guys are some of the worst in boxing history that allowed Ruiz to beat them the way he did.
happygocampy
If Ruiz makes HOF i will consider boxing 100% dead and never ever watch it again.

I'll never forget one night many years ago a bunch of my buddies came over to watch some fights and ruiz was in one of them. It was such a boring pathetic stupid numbnuts of a fight and my buddies never wanted to come over and watch boxing again. If we're seriously to the point where fighters who hurt the sport are getting into the HOF than boxing is dead.
MarzB
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 13 2009, 10:15 AM) *

I completely agree with your post here. I sholdn't have to preface this but I know how things get around here but I'm NOT a fan of Ruiz but what I can't stand hearing is just because he wasn't entertaining in ANY facet by most, he's NOT a scrub/tomatoe can by any stretch. Yet some of the post totally besmirtch what he's accomplished no matter HOW he did it.

In basketball I remember in the mid 90's, (pre Shawn Kemp)theCleveland Cavs had a pretty undersized, not overly athletic and limited shooting (with exception to Terrell Brandon) squad. Yet the team won 47 games. What they did was slow the game down which limited the opposing teams possessions. Basically coach Fratello figured out a way to hide the teams deficiencies.

Some here are probalby saying, "this is boxing, wtf does this have to do with Jawnny Ruiz?". If you're saying that then it's already gone over your head but basically "Jawny" to me is the Cavs of the mid 90's.

He doesn't have many if any attributes (an occassional good right hand, lets ask Evander,lol). He's slow as hell, a plodder, excessively holds. But HE's made MUCH better use of his LACK of talent than PLENTY of boxers I could name have WITH their physical tools.

No heavyweight save for Tua,lol saw Ruiz as a push-over/EASY fight. the bottom line he caused guys problems and has some wins over some very credible guys.

Is he hall of fame caliber on my scale? Please/HELL no but neither are plenty of other guys in the hall.

the problem is, when/where is the BAR set on the criteria? I don't think the writers would vote him in but guaranteed if Ruiz had a better PUBLIC perception but fought the same way, he'd be prefaced with having a hall of fame type of career.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 13 2009, 03:08 PM) *
I completely agree with your post here. I sholdn't have to preface this but I know how things get around here but I'm NOT a fan of Ruiz but what I can't stand hearing is just because he wasn't entertaining in ANY facet by most, he's NOT a scrub/tomatoe can by any stretch. Yet some of the post totally besmirtch what he's accomplished no matter HOW he did it.

In basketball I remember in the mid 90's, (pre Shawn Kemp)theCleveland Cavs had a pretty undersized, not overly athletic and limited shooting (with exception to Terrell Brandon) squad. Yet the team won 47 games. What they did was slow the game down which limited the opposing teams possessions. Basically coach Fratello figured out a way to hide the teams deficiencies.

Some here are probalby saying, "this is boxing, wtf does this have to do with Jawnny Ruiz?". If you're saying that then it's already gone over your head but basically "Jawny" to me is the Cavs of the mid 90's.

He doesn't have many if any attributes (an occassional good right hand, lets ask Evander,lol). He's slow as hell, a plodder, excessively holds. But HE's made MUCH better use of his LACK of talent than PLENTY of boxers I could name have WITH their physical tools.

No heavyweight save for Tua,lol saw Ruiz as a push-over/EASY fight. the bottom line he caused guys problems and has some wins over some very credible guys.

Is he hall of fame caliber on my scale? Please/HELL no but neither are plenty of other guys in the hall.

the problem is, when/where is the BAR set on the criteria? I don't think the writers would vote him in but guaranteed if Ruiz had a better PUBLIC perception but fought the same way, he'd be prefaced with having a hall of fame type of career.

Even if he was well liked I don't think he'd make it since he was in one of the worst heavyweight eras and he couldn't even beat them in a dominant fashion.
BGv2.0
LOL....

All a person has to do is look through this thread to see what I was talking about in my first post....

People are talking about how much they HATE the guy and even blowing up the HOF..lol

I'm telling you.....due to fans pure level of actual hate for the man....I don't think it's possible to have a rational NON-BIAS debate on the issue.

Maybe it might be possible YEARS after his retirement....but as of now....no way.

Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (JD @ May 12 2009, 11:08 AM) *
I mean, are we making room for Tim Witherspoon?

Witherspoon probably has a better case for getting in the HOF than does Ruiz.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Method @ May 12 2009, 05:48 PM) *
Name 5. Fuck it. Name three.

Sam Peter
Nikolai Valuev
Wlad Klitscho
Ray Austin
Fres Oquendo
Oleg Maskaev

All of these guys, except for Oquendo, are ranked in the top 15...
Lil-lightsout
At a future Hall of Fame ceremony...

This next man needs no real introduction, but here are some highlights of his illustrious career.

His first big fight with another top rising heavyweight resulted in him getting destroyed in about 20 plus seconds of the very first round by David Tua...he then came back strong with a close split decision verdict over the dangerous Jimmy Thunder... After a couple of years of meaningless fights, he challenged Evander Holyfield for the title and lost a unanimous decision,but then avenged that defeat with a SD win and then a draw with the fighter who could never let go. After defeating the heartless Kirk Johnson, he got emmbarrassed by the former middleweight champion of the world Roy Jones Jr.

But he followed that up with the biggest snoozefest ever in defeating Hasim Rahman in which there were more hugs than actual punches thrown in the fight...after that defeating the timid Puerto Rican Oquendo by TKO and the mental midget Golota by decision, he then got embarrassed by another former middleweight posing as a sumo wrestler in the heavyweight division in James Toney, which was later reversed to a NC after Toney got busted for injecting the blubber steroid in him. He then lost to the most unskilled heavyweight ever in the history of boxing in Nickolei Valuev... Then after that he lost again to future great Ruslan Chagaev... but he did come back strong in TKO'n the everybody's favorite journeyman Otis Tisdale... then another win by defeating Jameel "Big Time Pussy" McCline... and yet another loss to still the worst heavyweight belt holder in Valuev...

Man... I can not wait for Ruiz for his time in his much deserved HOF honors ceremony.
JD
LOL...this is ridiculous. If Ruiz gets in, Tim Witherspoon should be in.

Aside from never beating a prime top fighter, he was never even in a great fight...hell, he may never have been in a good fight. The one fight he did get the W against Holyfield, he was KO'd from a body shot and rolled around claiming it was low - fortunately for him, Cortez blew it and agreed, giving him a chance to recover and stay on his feet for the decision. The most important fight Ruiz was in, he lost his heavyweight strap to a Light Heavyweight.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 13 2009, 05:16 PM) *
MarzB made a good post that I agree with. Ruiz has accomplished much more than Gatti and has a much better resume against quality opposition.

I know we all want to hate Ruiz,but this shit is true..I'm not a huge hater of Ruiz but when all he wanted to do was hug,he pissed me off..This was not his style though but became his style..These days he doesn't do that shit anymore..After Tua KO'd him he got scared..hahaha..With good reason though..
rusty_trombone
What does that say about your hall of fame with that shitbag in it. When you lose to a middleweight, you don't make it into the hall of anything. maybe johnny belongs on the hall of fame wall at whatever shitty elementary school he went to. All the kids could walk by and wonder who he is, and the principal can explain that he was a boxer that no one liked, lost to a middleweight, got kod in like 30 seconds once, and fought in some of the worst fights ever. Ruiz has caused more remote controls to wear out than any fighter ever.
BigG
Ruiz doesn't deserve to be in the HOF and neither does Gatti..end of story.

But Gatti's beaten a few world champions...Tracy Harris Patterson, Jesse James Leija, Rafael Ruelas, Leonard Dorin...not a bad a resume..but definitely not the stuff of greats.
Big Slim Sweet
Why is Gatti's name being thrown around so much in this thread? He's not in the hall of fame. I think everyone knows he doesn't really belong in the hall of fame. If he does happen to get into the hall of fame, that doesn't mean other underserving fighters should also get into the hall of fame.

King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 13 2009, 06:59 PM) *
Holyfield definitely deserves to be in the HOF, you are just being a fucking hater.

But Holy didn't lose to a middleweight twice.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (3King3 @ May 13 2009, 09:02 PM) *
But Holy didn't lose to a middleweight twice.

Being beaten up by a middleweight on record or in sparring too??If this is true,lets fucking take Joe Louis,Jack Dempsey,and Jack Johnson out of the HOF..Louis was scared of Blackburn,Dempsey and Johnson both got it taken to them by Harry Greb..Blackburn would sometimes get wasted and if Joe did something he didn't like he'd kick everyone out of the gym and talk shit to Louis and try to get him in the ring with him..Blackburn whooped Jack Johnson's ass too..

Also,Holyfield started as a light heavyweight,he was not a natural heavyweight so find someone else to say that shit about..Same with Chris Byrd..Should we get rid of all the heavyweights who lost to them too..

Losing to a smaller guy ain't sayin shit..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 13 2009, 09:04 PM) *
Ruiz didn't. He only lost to a middle weight once. The second time was a no contest. Bad luck. Long live Ruiz.

Yup,ya guys must of missed my post about Toney fucking himself over and me being pissed that he got the belt taken away and the W for using steroids..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 13 2009, 08:08 PM) *

Holy hell I am agreeing with Marz for once!!! I guess if PBf is not mentioned we can share the same viewpoint.

QUOTE (Fitz @ May 13 2009, 11:16 PM) *
MarzB made a good post that I agree with. Ruiz has accomplished much more than Gatti and has a much better resume against quality opposition.

Most certainly

QUOTE (Fitz @ May 14 2009, 03:04 AM) *
Ruiz didn't. He only lost to a middle weight once. The second time was a no contest. Bad luck. Long live Ruiz.

That is right guys read the records. It should have read Ruiz W DQ.
happygocampy
There's more to this than who he beat or lost to. There's things called Excitement, Eagerness, etc. Who you beat or lost to isn't the tell all say all, the other half is how much anticipation was there when you fought and shit like that.

Ruiz's style fucked up whatever chance he thought he had of getting into the HOF, period! Trying to compare achievements of Ruiz to Gatti is pointless and stupid. Ruiz doesn't even come close to not only what Gatti was for boxing but what Gatti accomplished in boxing. Gatti actually has a fucking fan club, Ruiz DOESN"T!

That's being rational, Ruiz's ring accomplishments alone doesn't make him HOF material. Why the hell are people even defending him, wtf is the matter with you??? The last thing we need is a wave of awe inspired boxers popping up mimicking Ruiz's shit grab and hold style sending boxing into a crappier acknowledged sport than it already is.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 13 2009, 10:53 PM) *
Being a punching bag and pleasing the fans automatically makes you better? Gatti accomplished more in boxing than Ruiz because he has a fan club? lol, well that settles that then.

Here's what I have to say:

Gatti's title win and subsequent defenses over Tracy Harris Patterson (twice), Wilson Rodriguez, and Gabriel Ruelas are more impressive, and more important, than anything John Ruiz has ever done in his life, inside the ring or outside the ring. That doesn't take into account the second world title he won against Leonard Dorin.

Of course, he also almost killed Joey Gamache, too, but I don't know how that fits in.

Ruiz sucks. He's absolutely worthless. Not just a little, not somewhat, absolutely worthless. Norman Stone's insanity in his corner was more entertaining than any fight he was ever in with the exception of the matchup with David Tua.

The FCC should never let a fight of his on the airwaves again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.