Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bob Foster vs. Billy Conn
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JonnyBlaze
Who do you think would win this fight and why??Yesterday I said Bob Foster was the #3 best light heavy and Conn was #4..After that I've been thinking about this match up a lot..This fight match up would be at light heavyweight of course..

Conn put up a hell of a fight against Joe Louis the first time..Yet,Louis was flat and lacked pop..Louis trained hard the day before the fight instead of resting like he normally did..He wanted to weigh in below 200 lbs so the fight looked more legit since Conn weighed 174..Louis was 202 but got down to 198..He also didn't eat breakfast the day of the fight and didn't drink much water..Anyway,Conn boxed his ass off in that fight and got too confident and got KO'd late when he had the fight won..Conn also KO'd Pastor 2 rounds later than Joe Louis did..Conn also was able to outbox Tony Zale and got a UD decision against him..That is a huge win..Conn was a master boxer and was extremely smart in the ring..He was a thinker in the ropes..

Foster has a huge punch..He was able to KO Dick Tiger in 4 rounds..Tiger had been KO'd in his 8th pro fight in the 7th round before but this guy had an insane chin and could take a lot of punishment..Foster has been KO'd 6 times but most of those KO'd were by heavyweights and not light heavyweights..He was trained by Eddie Futch..Of his 56 wins he KO'd 46 of them..I really think that his fight with Mike Quarry showed how he can deal with a decent counterpuncher and boxer..Mike Quarry was not like his brother Jerry Quarry..Foster was dangerous with both hands but his right hand was monsterous..

What do you all think??How would you break it down??
STEVENSKI
This should be in the classics but this is a excellent fantasy match up.

The only question is could Conn box & move his way to a victory or would Foster catch him flush?

I would favour Conn in this due to his higher skill level.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 13 2009, 05:45 PM) *
This should be in the classics but this is a excellent fantasy match up.

The only question is could Conn box & move his way to a victory or would Foster catch him flush?

I would favour Conn in this due to his higher skill level.

Damn,I totally forgot about the classics section..No one has used it in a long long time..I'm glad you replied to this since I was really looking to hear your opinion since I know you love the classics like me..

The more I think about this match up the more I favoring Conn as well..I think Conn would also have a chance of KOing Foster after all the jabs and rights he'd be landing..

Conn was taking punches from Louis but once Louis really dropped the bomb,he was done..Conn is very hard to catch since he had a really good jab and his footwork was great..

I'm also goin with Conn..After thinking about it I also would move Conn ahead of Foster at light heavy..Conn#3 and Foster #4..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 13 2009, 11:05 PM) *
Conn was taking punches from Louis but once Louis really dropped the bomb,he was done..Conn is very hard to catch since he had a really good jab and his footwork was great..

Conn was winning & could have coasted until he himself said he got stupid & thought he could trade with Joe. What on earth possesed him to want to trade with a guy like Louis.

BigG
Probably Conn but I don't know Foster could be a murderous puncher.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 13 2009, 06:16 PM) *
Conn was winning & could have coasted until he himself said he got stupid & thought he could trade with Joe. What on earth possesed him to want to trade with a guy like Louis.

I explained all that in my initial post..hahaha..He got to confident and thought he had Louis..He even told Louis "you're in for a tough fight tonight" while in a clinch..After that,in the very same round he got his ass KO'd..
JonnyBlaze
Bob Foster KO's

Take a look at this..For all of you who have never seen Bob Foster before,you need to see this..Good footage..Wait till ya all see the Dick Tiger KO if ya haven't seen it before..This is my favorite Bob Foster KO..The way that Dick Tiger tried to get up cracks me up..He was so fucked up..Tiger was a beast to even try to get up from that..Foster could KO ya with either hand..
STEVENSKI
Foster no doubt was a beast. One of those concussive punchers that defines the meaning of "hits em & they stay hit".
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 13 2009, 11:18 PM) *
Foster no doubt was a beast. One of those concussive punchers that defines the meaning of "hits em & they stay hit".

Yeah,the Tiger fight really shows the "hit em and they stay hit"..It's crazy to see Tiger in that situation after seeing all his other fights..
SupremeBeing
Conn exposed Louis as a guy that had poor foot speed, and average hand speed. Something, Charles exploited in giving Joe is 2nd defeat of his career. But, out of 77 fights and only 15 kos for Conn, against a steady and determine fighter that only lost 1 fight against at LHWYs, bye the way he was semi-retired at age 40. He would have stopped Conn in around 10 of a 15 round fight. Foster had one of the most punishing jabs in the business, and Conn's ring generalship and willingness to mix it up, would make it a close fight until around 8, went the power and energy to try and aviod and exchange with Foster would start to tell the tale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.