Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mike McCallum vs. Dick Tiger
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JonnyBlaze
Who do ya all think would win??Both these guys were great at middleweight..McCallum may have been better at 154 though..McCallum I feel never got the props he deserved completely..James Toney did say McCallum made him think more than any other fighter had ever done,which is saying a lot..I feel both these guys were underrated though..

I think McCallum hit harder but I think Tiger would be pressuring him non-stop..

Opinions/thoughts??I hope someone attempts to break it down..

My pick is McCallum and I'll explain later..It'd be a great fight for sure though and could go either way..
JLUVBABY
dick tiger is one fighter i dont have a lot of clips of so i cant give you an honest feel on that fight johnny... i can tell you to think he would have beaten a prime mccallum he would have to have been a beast...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 15 2009, 05:46 PM) *
dick tiger is one fighter i dont have a lot of clips of so i cant give you an honest feel on that fight johnny... i can tell you to think he would have beaten a prime mccallum he would have to have been a beast...

McCallum wouldn't be able to hurt Tiger I don't think so Tiger would keep non-stop pressure on him..Tiger hit hard himself but I feel I'd give the edge to McCallum..

Have you ever seen his fights with Griffith??He shows a lot of guts in those fights but is at the very end of his career..

I might get to talk to McCallum one of these days..A buddy of mine in LV knows him..
Romulus9
McCallum wouldn't outright destroy Tiger like Bob Foster did (although the left hook McCallum hit Donald Curry with looked a lot like Foster hitting Tiger). What he'd do is break Tiger down to the body. Tiger's efforts to come inside would play right into "The Bodysnatcher"s hands. Mike was just too much overall, and too cerebral for Tiger as well.

I'll take McCallum on points or a late stoppage.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (wvu8893 @ May 15 2009, 10:01 PM) *
McCallum wouldn't outright destroy Tiger like Bob Foster did (although the left hook McCallum hit Donald Curry with looked a lot like Foster hitting Tiger). What he'd do is break Tiger down to the body. Tiger's efforts to come inside would play right into "The Bodysnatcher"s hands. Mike was just too much overall, and too cerebral for Tiger as well.

I'll take McCallum on points or a late stoppage.

That's the kinda breakdown I wanted to hear..Thanks..

I think you're pretty accurate about it too but this fight would be at 160,not light heavy..I think you can't compare Foster's power to McCallums besides the punch he hit him with,the left hook..Foster's power was/is a very rare thing for his size/weight..Not many lightheavys ever have had more power than him..Archie Moore is one of the only guys I'd say had more power than him at 175..There have been heavy hitters at light heavy no doubt but by watching these guys fight,there was something very very special about their power..

Back to topic though,Tiger would be dying to get close to McCallum since he is much shorter than him..I think 3-4 inches shorter about..McCallum definitely had the edge in ring smarts though..McCallum's body shots could wear anyone out if they don't stop the body attack..I think this fight would definitely go the distance though if McCallum won..Tiger at 160 had never been KO'd..
Romulus9
I wasn't necessarily comparing power between McCallum and Foster as much as I was talking about the punch that landed, and the fact that McCallum, in like fashion, would make Tiger pay for coming inside, and would also make him pay to the body once he got there.

McCallum would just be a bad, bad, bad matchup for Tiger. Mike is one of the most underrated champions of the last 30 years. No doubt about it.
grogarz46
Great match up, great fight....with McCallum winning by late round stoppage. The prime-time body-snatcher had so many tools in his arsenal: great jab,great right hand,great left hook ,[remember the hook he hit Donald Curry with back in 1987.....and how he set him up for it?]....great chin [took an undefeated Julian Jackson's best Sunday punches in round 1 before handing "The Hawk" his first loss in the next round]...and ...oh....i almost forgot....the greatest body-punching ever!! During his heyday,only the crafty and awkward Sumbu Kalambay posed problems for Mike in their first fight,as he seemed to be McCallums achilles heel,but the body-snatcher did avenge the loss,and broke a few of his opponents ribs in the process. Its a shame that we never got to see how the body-snatcher would have fared against Leonard,Hearns,and Hagler,but they didn't seem to be too eager to fight him.A fight with Duran was slated to happen at one time,but fell through. My guess is that he would have beaten all of the above. I consider McCallum to be the best at 154 ever. At 160,he was still great. Dick Tiger would have been a competitive matchup for the first half of the fight,as he was strong,aggressive.and had a sturdy chin. At 160, Tiger was a great fighter,with wins over Joey Giardello,Nino Benvenuti,and Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter on his record attests,but they went the distance. Gene Fulmer was past his best when they met 3 times,with Tiger winning twice[once by knockout] and a draw. They were Fulmer's last 3 appearances in the ring. Again....a great match-up......with Mike McCallum winning at 2:37 of round 11
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (wvu8893 @ May 15 2009, 10:23 PM) *
I wasn't necessarily comparing power between McCallum and Foster as much as I was talking about the punch that landed, and the fact that McCallum, in like fashion, would make Tiger pay for coming inside, and would also make him pay to the body once he got there.

McCallum would just be a bad, bad, bad matchup for Tiger. Mike is one of the most underrated champions of the last 30 years. No doubt about it.

I kinda thought you meant that it was the left hook..

I actually think it'd be a good match up..Tiger may be getting hit and paying for mistakes,but he wouldn't stop coming and punching..

McCallum is very underrated and I think most people just know him for his fights with Toney and Jones..The first Toney fight was a good showing of him but he just went to high up in weight for him combined with him getting older..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 15 2009, 09:58 PM) *
McCallum wouldn't be able to hurt Tiger I don't think so Tiger would keep non-stop pressure on him..Tiger hit hard himself but I feel I'd give the edge to McCallum..

Have you ever seen his fights with Griffith??He shows a lot of guts in those fights but is at the very end of his career..

I might get to talk to McCallum one of these days..A buddy of mine in LV knows him..

no i havent seen those fights... my fight collection is funny it goes from 50's on down into the early 1900's and 1970 thrue present time.. i am missing a lot of major fights from the 60's... i do have the griffith paret fights tho...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 16 2009, 04:06 PM) *
no i havent seen those fights... my fight collection is funny it goes from 50's on down into the early 1900's and 1970 thrue present time.. i am missing a lot of major fights from the 60's... i do have the griffith paret fights tho...

That's funny man but not such a bad thing about your collection..I really like the 50's on down a lot..I can't think of a time period in boxing that I didn't like though..Griffith/Paret were amazing fights..At first I wanted to see what a death in the ring looked like(I was young and dumb) and after I saw it,it gave me chills..The craziest thing about it was they really hated each other going into those fights..

Grogarz,thanks for your break down..I liked it and think you made a lot of good points..McCallum does deserved to be mentioned in the top 10 best 154 lbers ever in my opinion too..Body punching is an art within an art..Some say you give up your head when body punching but McCallum didn't..This match up would be such an awesome fight I think..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.