Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WILLIAMS vs. THE GREATS: Who would win?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Sugar Q
Paul Williams vs Prime:

Sugar Ray Leonard-

Thomas"Hitman"Hearns-

Pernell Whittaker-

Roy Jones-

Felix Trinidad-

Terry Norris-

Marvelous Marvin Hagler-

John"The Beast"Mugabi-

Who wins?
D-MARV
Paul Williams has not reached his prime yet... At this time I would favor all of those guys over PWill.

He may have beaten Trinidad
JonnyBlaze
I think Hearns would of KO'd Williams..Leonard and Williams would of been a sweet fight..

I think he would of beaten Trinidad though..
Mean Mister Mustard
Williams does not deserve to be mentioned amongst the greats yet, HOWEVER, because of his freakish size and other attributes I'm sure he would beat a lot of the great welterweights and middleweights.

Before I say anything else, Sugar Q. John Mugabi as one of the all time greats? WTF? Get your facts straight before starting a thread like this. I'm surprised you inclided him but not Duran.

Those who beat Williams in my opinion would be Leonars, Hearns, Jones, Trinidad, Norris and Hagler.

Mugabu would be outworked and Whitaker is too small but hey, if Quintana could beat Williams...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 15 2009, 03:10 PM) *
Williams does not deserve to be mentioned amongst the greats yet, HOWEVER, because of his freakish size and other attributes I'm sure he would beat a lot of the great welterweights and middleweights.

Before I say anything else, Sugar Q. John Mugabi as one of the all time greats? WTF? Get your facts straight before starting a thread like this. I'm surprised you inclided him but not Duran.

Those who beat Williams in my opinion would be Leonars, Hearns, Jones, Trinidad, Norris and Hagler.

Mugabu would be outworked and Whitaker is too small but hey, if Quintana could beat Williams...

Skill would allow Whitaker to win in my opinion..

I was also wondering why Mugabi was on there and not Duran,Basilio,Robinson..I'd actually rather have Bobo Olson over Mugabi too..Olson had an amazing defense..Mugabi just tried to over power guys..
MarzB
I agree in that it's very premature to put Paul in this class especially unlike the bulk of those guys listed, he's LOSS on his way up where as NONE of those guys had loses during their rise save for Whitaker but that was a BS decision.

I'll give Paul this though, for guys like Leonard (and I'm surprised Duran isn't on that list) he would have been a style problem.

Name the weight 47, 54, 60 Tommy would have absolutely DROWNED Williams. Roy Jones at 160 would have sent Paul back down to the lower weight classes.

I do agree with MMM that Trindad is the only one I can see him having an edge in.
Box in Hand
Sugar Q, I like you homey but this is a thread that should not even be made. That dude shouldn't even be mentioned with any greats. He's good, but still wet behind the ears and he got beat by a chump.
Mean Mister Mustard
Monzon against Williams would have been bad for the Punisher. He would get his brones broke in that one.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 15 2009, 04:10 PM) *

LOL yeah I threw Mugabi in because he was a monster, a great monster. Had Duran but I wanted a big strong clubber like Mugabi instead. I think Mugabi would be murderous today @ 154. 25-0, 25 ko's
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 15 2009, 03:45 PM) *
LOL yeah I threw Mugabi in because he was a monster, a great monster. Had Duran but I wanted a big strong clubber like Mugabi instead. I think Mugabi would be murderous today.

Yeah he was good. Hagler ruined him.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 15 2009, 03:45 PM) *
LOL yeah I threw Mugabi in because he was a monster, a great monster. Had Duran but I wanted a big strong clubber like Mugabi instead. I think Mugabi would be murderous today.

Ya did put in a good mix of different styles..Ya missed some greats but if we got into that,we might take up a whole page listing greats that he could of fought..
Sugar Q
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 15 2009, 04:50 PM) *
Ya did put in a good mix of different styles..Ya missed some greats but if we got into that,we might take up a whole page listing greats that he could of fought..

I know. I also thought Chavez, Donald Curry, Mike McCallum and Meldrick Taylor would've been interesting.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ May 15 2009, 03:59 PM) *
I know. I also thought Chavez, Donald Curry, Mike McCallum and Meldrick Taylor would've been interesting.

Yeah,McCallum and Williams would of been sweet at 154..Williams has never been hit as hard to the body as McCallum would get him..McCallum straight up stole your soul..It must of been hell for anyone to go past 6 rounds with him..I'm sure guys left the ring just as mentally tired as physically tired after a fight with him..I know Toney was cause he's a big thinker himself..Guys who weren't thinking hard got KO'd quick..
Thegreatequalizer
i agree that it is way too early to tell how williams might fair against some of the greats.

regardless,
i agree that his style would give leonard a lot of trouble.

i agree that rj's style would give williams lots of trouble.

i don't really see him beating hagler.
JLUVBABY
is this a fair question to ask of paul williams right now?.. you really cant compare him to any greats right now... he probably hasnt even reached his prime yet is the scariest part about him... if that is true when he does he will be an all time great...
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 15 2009, 06:19 PM) *
is this a fair question to ask of paul williams right now?.. you really cant compare him to any greats right now... he probably hasnt even reached his prime yet is the scariest part about him... if that is true when he does he will be an all time great...

I dont think PWill is even close to his prime. Williams is still VERY raw.
King Eugene
A prime Toney pre Jones would have given Williams hell @ 160. His head/body movement and counter punching ability was on a level all on its on.
Keith
i think most of the fighters on the list would give williams problems, not the other way around. and i disagree with many who think trinidad would lose to pwill. trinidad at 47 was an absolute beast. he had ridiculous power. it wasnt until he moved up to 160 that you could see the flaws in his game. pwills chin has not really been tested by a power puncher yet. margarito is a volume puncher, quintana does not have much power, winky is not a power puncher. these are pwills best opponents to date. wait until his chin has been tested before you start saying he can beat the greats.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (keith @ May 16 2009, 07:15 AM) *
i think most of the fighters on the list would give williams problems, not the other way around. and i disagree with many who think trinidad would lose to pwill. trinidad at 47 was an absolute beast. he had ridiculous power. it wasnt until he moved up to 160 that you could see the flaws in his game. pwills chin has not really been tested by a power puncher yet. margarito is a volume puncher, quintana does not have much power, winky is not a power puncher. these are pwills best opponents to date. wait until his chin has been tested before you start saying he can beat the greats.

Excellent Post! I agree with everything, it is just too early to tell. We need to see PW in some more meaningful fights before trying to make accurate assessments.
JD
I have Williams over all of them. He handles Robinson, Hopkins, Monzon, Greb, McCallum, Fullmer, Toney and Ketchel too.
Douchebag
QUOTE (JD @ May 16 2009, 05:59 PM) *
I have Williams over all of them. He handles Robinson, Hopkins, Monzon, Greb, McCallum, Fullmer, Toney and Ketchel too.

I agree..............
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JD @ May 16 2009, 05:59 PM) *

Did Demarv take over your account??? laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 16 2009, 07:25 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 16 2009, 06:25 PM) *

hahaha..I don't think Damarv would even go that far..
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 18 2009, 12:30 AM) *
hahaha..I don't think Damarv would even go that far..

There isn't any telling with him...lol
BigG
A prime Terry Norris hurts Williams badly.
D-MARV
Again, Paul is still very young and he hasn't reached his prime yet. Let's ask this question about 3 years from now.
BigG
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 22 2009, 01:04 AM) *
Again, Paul is still very young and he hasn't reached his prime yet. Let's ask this question about 3 years from now.

Do you think Williams could have beaten this man in his prime

I think NOT!
D-MARV
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ May 22 2009, 12:15 AM) *
Do you think Williams could have beaten this man in his prime

I think NOT!

If PWILL can take his punch then I have no doubt in my mind that he can beat Norris. But I just don't know at this point. I need to see how PWill resonds from a punch from a Puncher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.