Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kevin Johnson
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Spyder
I just saw him beat down Devin Vargas for the stoppage win. He's undefeated with one draw to Timor Ibragimov early in his career.

What's the consensus opinion on this guy?
D-MARV
He's another lazy American Heavyweight.
Romulus9
Slacker. Looks good against low quality opposition. Decent jab but he carries his left hand WAY too low. Someone with a good right hand is going to hammer him. Relies on reflex WAY too much and his technique is sacrificed. What's worse is that he's 29 and that window of opportunity is closing.

I'm not overly impressed, and the fact that he's what the United States has to offer makes me nauseous.
Spyder
Funny you guys said that...he kind of reminded me of Hasim Rahman. lol
Romulus9
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 15 2009, 11:08 PM) *
Funny you guys said that...he kind of reminded me of Hasim Rahman. lol

Hasim Rahman with slightly quicker hands and less work ethic inside the ring.

Take a moment and let that description digest.
Spyder
laugh.gif

WOW! Why is every athletic American heavyweight a Buster Douglas clone?
Lil-lightsout
It is pretty damn sad our best trained or prepared American heavyweight is a 46 year old Evander Holyfield.
MarzB
Wow LilLighscout isn't that messed up but you're right,lol

I know one thing, he would have taken Monte Barrett's lunch thats for sure.

The guy wasn't bad. I did like the way he rolled punches. If he can get more dedicated, throw more flurries, get about 2 more years of seasoning then we'll see something.

I have a GREAT suggestion for a fight. JAMES TONEY

Thompson is "green" enough where Toney doesn't have to be too fearful being caught with anything. Toney is still undisciplined, out of shape (weigh in day,lol) and old that Thompson doesn't have to worry about being pressured by a James Toney flurry.

It'll basically be a pot shot battle but does Kevn have aenough variety to go to James' bread-basket and quick enough to land some flurries to send the old man into retirement? In addition to taking some counter shots from angles he doesn't expect??

If he truly wants to go to the next level this would be a great test for him.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 16 2009, 10:59 AM) *

The guy wasn't bad. I did like the way he rolled punches. If he can get more dedicated, throw more flurries, get about 2 more years of seasoning then we'll see something.

Thompson is "green" enough where Toney doesn't have to be too fearful being caught with anything. Toney is still undisciplined, out of shape (weigh in day,lol) and old that Thompson doesn't have to worry about being pressured by a James Toney flurry.

It'll basically be a pot shot battle but does Kevn have aenough variety to go to James' bread-basket and quick enough to land some flurries to send the old man into retirement? In addition to taking some counter shots from angles he doesn't expect??

i agree that would be a good test for kevin johnson.. we need to see him in against a good solid fighter....
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 16 2009, 11:59 AM) *

After Toney's last poor performance, I have no clue what to expect from him anymore. I do know I would like him to trim up a little, and maybe fight someone soon enough.
JLUVBABY
toney is never trimming up at this point in the game.. age wont allow him to do it... his career is basically over... who can he beat?... he arguably lost to fres oquendo...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 17 2009, 04:58 PM) *
toney is never trimming up at this point in the game.. age wont allow him to do it... his career is basically over... who can he beat?... he arguably lost to fres oquendo...

Yeah...you are right. Though I always get excited when one of his fights are looming, then afterwards I am always dissappointed. It would be best if he would just retire.
Michigan Assassin
Toney just broke away from Goosen, which I personally think could hurt him since Papa Goose is his biggest cheerleader, but maybe since he's "promoting" himself now it will light a fire under his ass.

But I'll believe it when I see it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.