Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Jones vs. Jeff Lacy on PPV,lol
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MarzB
I didn't see a topic for it so may as well create one plus I'm Pac'd and Mayweathered out.

I understand MAYBE these guys not being able to get a tv deal. Actually I don't because ESPN 2 or VS would have given them SOMETHING for this fight. But where does Roy's Square Ring outfit gets the nerve to think that this is a viable fight but that they'll actually have significant pay per view buys??

I know there are some people that are addicted to boxing and will cave in but I can't even see paying $20 for this which I know won't be the price. Square Ring's stable isn't that vast so I don't see the undercard being loaded.

I have a better idea for this totally insignificant fight. Since it's in August, hold it at some County State Fair along with the other farm exhibits. Since Roy fought in Boise, Idaho prior, this shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Seriously though, why not go for the SpikeTV or VS's of the world because I seriously doubt this fight does anything more than 20K buys.
thehype
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 22 2009, 11:07 AM) *
Seriously though, why not go for the SpikeTV or VS's of the world because I seriously doubt this fight does anything more than 20K buys.

Because networks like ESPN and VERSUS don't have the kind of budget to pay Roy Jones Jr. the type of money he still THINKS he should get.

A network like ESPN only budgets like $50K (not the actual number, but just use it as an example) for their events. There's no way Roy is going to fight Jeff Lacy for that kind of money. Don't get me wrong...personally, I think that's all that fight is worth, but if you're Roy Jones Jr., you're not going to want to take that kind of money after you made ten times that amount just two fights ago. That's why they've decided to try and take it to PPV....thinking that they'll make way more money doing a PPV as opposed to taking the low fee on a network like ESPN.

It's really up to the fans to make sure they take a hit and don't make any good money on that event.
MarzB
I was thinking the amount was $20K Hype so question. (let me check to see if they've picked a venue for this).

They haven't picked a venue yet so lets speculate they get some venue that holds 15-20K. (I'm trying to figure out what the gate could be) Realistically I think we can agree they're going to draw 5,000 tops right??

I realistically can't see this fight getting anything more than a $200K gate and thats pushing it.

Back to my question, with your inside knowledge, what is the expected gate numbers wise for something like this you think??
thehype
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 22 2009, 11:42 AM) *
I was thinking the amount was $20K Hype so question. (let me check to see if they've picked a venue for this).

They haven't picked a venue yet so lets speculate they get some venue that holds 15-20K. (I'm trying to figure out what the gate could be) Realistically I think we can agree they're going to draw 5,000 tops right??

I realistically can't see this fight getting anything more than a $200K gate and thats pushing it.

Back to my question, with your inside knowledge, what is the expected gate numbers wise for something like this you think??

No clue, but I do know Lacy only drew about 2000 at his last fight and although the official attendance for Roy's fight against Sheika was never released, I know it was held at the Pensacola Civic Center, which has a total capacity to seat 9000 for a boxing event, assuming every seat is filled. Now mind you, Roy's fight against Sheika was even't close to being packed...and that was in his hometown. If I was being kind, I'd say maybe 6000 showed up...and honestly, that's probably being really, really, REALLY kind. So truth be told, I doubt they'd even be able to get 10000 in there.
Mean Mister Mustard
At a reasonable price I would buy it but based on past RJ's PPV's crappy undercards I am not expecting a good one this time and so I will not buy it.
Romulus9
Screw the numbers, the television setup, all of it. All I know is that this is REALLY sad to watch.

ESPN2 would have jumped all over this fight for Friday Night Fights. They had a world title bout a couple of months ago in Canada! It would have gotten great ratings for ESPN2 and would have given the winner some nice exposure for a good win, even if in name only.

But no, they have to go for a useless pay-per-view, in times of a horrible economy, with reduced distribution and a sad state of affairs in overall value. Who's buying THAT? Not me.
Spyder
I just deleted a good post before I could send it, trying to look up the exact numbers...ugh

Anyway, if this fight went to the St Pete Times Forum...it would do 10-12k live gate EASILY.

Both guys have fought there several times, and both have sold it very well...Roy did a little better. Don't look at the Sun Dome numbers as a realistic indicater. When fights go to the Forum, it's an EVENT in Tampa.

Depending on the promotion and local buzz, this fight could sell as good as their others.
JLUVBABY
roy would need to do some very heavy promotions and make a descent undercard for once... people are not gonna buy his fights just because its him fighting.. we want to see substance on a card when we know what we are going to get in the main event... this is two shot fighters going at it... and i wont be surprised to see lacy pull this off...
MarzB
I would. Lacy sucks IMO. He's musclebound meathead who's very easy to hit. Forget the Taylor and Cal fights, Sheika and Manfredo made him look bad and I could clearly see how Otis Griffin could have won that last fight cnsidering I hear people boo'd the decision.
JLUVBABY
yeah but he's basically going up against a roy jones that dont have nuthin left... lacy has a very good chance in this fight... thats not saying lacy has a lot left either but i thik if lacy makes this a brawl he wins....
getup
QUOTE (thehype @ May 22 2009, 12:02 PM) *
Now mind you, Roy's fight against Sheika was even't close to being packed...and that was in his hometown. If I was being kind, I'd say maybe 6000 showed up...and honestly, that's probably being really, really, REALLY kind.

Actually you're wrong.

I was at the Jones/Sheika fight and it was legitimately sold out. The Pensacola Civic Center holds about 7 thou for boxing event.....and the place was bloody deafening during Roy's fight. Ask Bob Sheridan who was calling the action and is a really nice guy by the way.
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 22 2009, 02:13 PM) *
yeah but he's basically going up against a roy jones that dont have nuthin left... lacy has a very good chance in this fight... thats not saying lacy has a lot left either but i thik if lacy makes this a brawl he wins....

See thats where your wrong, If lacy (the mike tyson reject) try's to brawl with roy he will be knocked out. lacy throws slow looping punches and roy being the counter-puncher that he is, he is going to have a field day tagging lacy's face. thats what will happen if its a brawl.
Mean Mister Mustard
I'm surprised this fight is being on PPV, more surprised than seeing MarzB in something other than a Mayweather thread.

I tell you, a lot of fans would probably buy it if it had a decent undercard but you know it won't.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 22 2009, 05:42 PM) *
I'm surprised this fight is being on PPV, more surprised than seeing MarzB in something other than a Mayweather thread.

I tell you, a lot of fans would probably buy it if it had a decent undercard but you know it won't.

Maybe Roy can get Derrick Gainer out of retirement to fight on the undercard.
Col Reb
I heard the fight was going to be in New Orleans at the Hornets' arena. In that case, they'll probably hook up with Les Bonano and get some local fighters on the card. It may do about 5000-8000. I'll probably drive in from Dallas to see it, only b/c NOLA is my hometown and one of my friends fights/fought for Les (Mike Ricca, cruiserweight).
rusty_trombone
oh i can't wait to see the replay of this one, roy is gonna fuck him up. Lacy's slow plodding style is perfect for an exposition of Roy's faded talent
Jack 1000
QUOTE (thehype @ May 22 2009, 10:23 AM) *
Because networks like ESPN and VERSUS don't have the kind of budget to pay Roy Jones Jr. the type of money he still THINKS he should get.

A network like ESPN only budgets like $50K (not the actual number, but just use it as an example) for their events. There's no way Roy is going to fight Jeff Lacy for that kind of money. Don't get me wrong...personally, I think that's all that fight is worth, but if you're Roy Jones Jr., you're not going to want to take that kind of money after you made ten times that amount just two fights ago. That's why they've decided to try and take it to PPV....thinking that they'll make way more money doing a PPV as opposed to taking the low fee on a network like ESPN.

It's really up to the fans to make sure they take a hit and don't make any good money on that event.

Exactly!

Sure, it should be on ESPN, Spike, or Verses. But I also have to agree with what Ben said, Roy's too egotistical to see himself fighting on those networks for what he probably believes is "Chump Change." It would be nice if this could be sold to a commercial network like an NBC Sportsworld or ABC Wide World of Sports match. But Roy still thinks that he is PPV material. The only way to show that he isn't, is don't buy the fight and spread negativity about the fight as a PPV.

But at the same time, as a free fight I would also mention that it would still be interesting to see. I'll take Jones by decision.

Jack
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ May 22 2009, 04:37 PM) *
See thats where your wrong, If lacy (the mike tyson reject) try's to brawl with roy he will be knocked out. lacy throws slow looping punches and roy being the counter-puncher that he is, he is going to have a field day tagging lacy's face. thats what will happen if its a brawl.

if roy lays on the ropes like he has been doing and allow lacy to punch on him he will lose and if lacy makes this fight a slug fest he most likely will catch roy... roy needs to be on the cock fighting circuit not fighting in the ring... roys best chance is to box which i dont think lacy will allow him to do... lacy will apply constant pressure on roy and roy just dont have it anymore to deal with pressure... i'm not saying lacy outright wins but i give him a very good chance.. i'll say this.. lacy is several levels above sheika...
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 22 2009, 07:11 PM) *
if roy lays on the ropes like he has been doing and allow lacy to punch on him he will lose and if lacy makes this fight a slug fest he most likely will catch roy... roy needs to be on the cock fighting circuit not fighting in the ring... roys best chance is to box which i dont think lacy will allow him to do... lacy will apply constant pressure on roy and roy just dont have it anymore to deal with pressure... i'm not saying lacy outright wins but i give him a very good chance.. i'll say this.. lacy is several levels above sheika...

I agree that lacy has a punchers chance...but I just dont see see roy getting hit by any of lacy's "here comes my hook punches" his punches are just to slow. Roy will do what Taylor did to him but worse. I see roy dancing to a 10th round TKO!
Method
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ May 22 2009, 08:43 PM) *
I agree that lacy has a punchers chance...but I just dont see see roy getting hit by any of lacy's "here comes my hook punches" his punches are just to slow. Roy will do what Taylor did to him but worse. I see roy dancing to a 10th round TKO!

No more than you saw Roy getting hit by any of Johnson's slow, looping punches?
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (Method @ May 22 2009, 08:05 PM) *
No more than you saw Roy getting hit by any of Johnson's slow, looping punches?

what johnson is not that slow, johnson would destroy Taylor and lacy could barely hit him. From what i've seen from johnson he landed flush shots on ALL of his opponents can't say the same for lacy.
Method
The only thing Johnson has EVER destroyed was Roy Jones Junior. Other than that, he;s been in competitive fights with everyone...save for Hopkins.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ May 22 2009, 07:43 PM) *

taylor has a lot more left than roy.... roy is done... been done...
dbdbdb
I didn't see a topic for it so may as well create one plus I'm Pac'd and Mayweathered out.

I with you MarzB ... Too bad no one can make time move any faster to get July 18 here and overwith and move on to those two getting it on or NOT.

I understand MAYBE these guys not being able to get a tv deal. Actually I don't because ESPN 2 or VS would have given them SOMETHING for this fight. But where does Roy's Square Ring outfit gets the nerve to think that this is a viable fight but that they'll actually have significant pay per view buys??

I know there are some people that are addicted to boxing and will cave in but I can't even see paying $20 for this which I know won't be the price. Square Ring's stable isn't that vast so I don't see the undercard being loaded.

A prime case against making former good\great fighters PPV for life. This has no potential to be anything but, a total waste of time. RJJ should have something outside of boxing at this stage in his life. Why the hell is he still grasping for that cherry high???
He is as done as a fighter can get ... but like an addict, he's still trying to reach for something he had his fill of years ago.

And Lacy is like a bridge to nowhere. Even if he wins .... Soo F*ckin What!!!! He's not consistant enough to go anywhere with the win ... Many of these guys should learn how to accept the reality of their situation and retire .... Let the next generation get the headlines they deserve.

I have a better idea for this totally insignificant fight. Since it's in August, hold it at some County State Fair along with the other farm exhibits. Since Roy fought in Boise, Idaho prior, this shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

In RJJ's back yard is where this fight belongs .... If it does 10K I'd be shocked.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ May 22 2009, 10:57 PM) *
I with you MarzB ... Too bad no one can make time move any faster to get July 18 here and overwith and move on to those two getting it on or NOT.

A prime case against making former good\great fighters PPV for life. This has no potential to be anything but, a total waste of time. RJJ should have something outside of boxing at this stage in his life. Why the hell is he still grasping for that cherry high???
He is as done as a fighter can get ... but like an addict, he's still trying to reach for something he had his fill of years ago.

And Lacy is like a bridge to nowhere. Even if he wins .... Soo F*ckin What!!!! He's not consistant enough to go anywhere with the win ... Many of these guys should learn how to accept the reality of their situation and retire .... Let the next generation get the headlines they deserve.

In RJJ's back yard is where this fight belongs .... If it does 10K I'd be shocked.

He needs the money.
kingknockout
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 22 2009, 10:30 PM) *
taylor has a lot more left than roy.... roy is done... been done...

exactly...and his chin is GONE
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (kingknockout @ May 23 2009, 03:29 AM) *
exactly...and his chin is GONE

yep...
MarzB
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 22 2009, 04:42 PM) *

Funny I see this as a week attempt of a deliberate low blow because after all, I've never commented here about the intimate details of actual "boxing" unlike yourself such as "sparring" and "training" right? Additionally I've NEVER discussed pay per views and the business of boxing. All I am is a Mayweather junkie.

Dude, whatever comment, contribute but save the personal attacks...

Back to the thread just a thought. Does Jeff still call himself "Left Hook", if so WHY?? I swear I canNOT recall an instance of him throwing a "picturesque" one.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 23 2009, 12:26 PM) *
Funny I see this as a week attempt of a deliberate low blow because after all, I've never commented here about the intimate details of actual "boxing" unlike yourself such as "sparring" and "training" right? Additionally I've NEVER discussed pay per views and the business of boxing. All I am is a Mayweather junkie.

Dude, whatever comment, contribute but save the personal attacks...

Back to the thread just a thought. Does Jeff still call himself "Left Hook", if so WHY?? I swear I canNOT recall an instance of him throwing a "picturesque" one.

This weak attempt (or rather joke) seems to have gotten to you. Take it Kool Kool Aid.
Spyder
I wouldn't be surprised to see another mixed fight card...meaning some MMA fights under this.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 23 2009, 12:03 AM) *
He needs the money.

How do you figure he needs money? What makes you think this man is broke? Please explain to me. We've never heard of no gambling habits/problems, no IRS issues, or any other money issues. What makes you think he needs money? I'm sure he has plenty...to me he just wants the spotlight back just like Floyd.

Not directed totally at you but some of you guys kill me with the "He Needs Money" comments on just about every fighter trying to get the most money he can out of every fight. I look at it like a job...if you can get the opportunity for easy overtime...get it! Yes...Lacy is easy overtime and so is Marquez.
King Eugene
Well if the fight is anywhere in Florida I'll be there...I dont care how many shows up. I just want the opportunity to see my favorite fighter in action. Hell I might get lucky and get a picture with him with my fighthype shirt on lol.
JonnyBlaze
Lacy KO's Roy in 1.. haha.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 29 2009, 03:15 AM) *
Lacy KO's Roy in 1.. haha.gif

Will it look as bad as what Toney did to Holy?

Check that...what Bowe did to Holy?

I'd rather lose to Lacy than Ruiz
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (3King3 @ May 29 2009, 02:32 AM) *
Will it look as bad as what Toney did to Holy?

Check that...what Bowe did to Holy?

I'd rather lose to Lacy than Ruiz

Shit,I wouldn't..If I had to fight one of them I'd honestly rather fight Lacy than Ruiz..On another thread people argued whether Ruiz would be in the HOF or not..Talk of Lacy being in the HOF will never be brought up..When Ruiz isn't doing his holding routine,he has the ability to be a good fighter..Also as I was writing in another thread,after Holy fought Lennox the second time he messed up his shoulder and was never properly healed as much as it could be till after he stopped fighting for 2 years..I remember reading Holyfield was telling people he thought his shoulder was good enough to beat Ruiz which was a bad idea in the first place if you even have to question how well your best/most important shoulder is feeling..

What Bowe did to Holy??What about what Holy did to Bowe??He made Bowe a fucking vegetable the rest of his life..I'd rather lose a fight than to be turned into a vegetable..

Will it look as bad as what Toney did to Holy??No,it'll look even worse..More like what Tarver did to Roy in the second fight..hahahaha..
JonnyBlaze
Ok,well here is my honest opinion..

Roy UD..Lacy is nothing now..After Calzaghe handled him,he has been destroyed mentally..Lacy will never recover..Also after he had the left shoulder problems he will never be confident in that hand like he used to be..He need to retire..Roy has been jabbing more lately which is something I wish he also focused on doing in fights but he didn't need a jab to do what he did..Roy's jab would be able to control this whole fight..Lacy is a sucker for jabs and even more of a sucker for guys who can keep him at a distance..If Roy goes on the ropes,he is going to give Lacy his only chance of beating him..There is no way Lacy will out box Roy since Lacy is a horrible boxer..Lacy used to try to use skills when he was coming up but once he got used to KOing guys he decided he didn't need to and just goes for landing one punch..
The Original MrFactor
Two shot guys who lost to Calzaghe... Not one I'll be buying...
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 29 2009, 03:55 AM) *
Shit,I wouldn't..If I had to fight one of them I'd honestly rather fight Lacy than Ruiz..On another thread people argued whether Ruiz would be in the HOF or not..Talk of Lacy being in the HOF will never be brought up..When Ruiz isn't doing his holding routine,he has the ability to be a good fighter..Also as I was writing in another thread,after Holy fought Lennox the second time he messed up his shoulder and was never properly healed as much as it could be till after he stopped fighting for 2 years..I remember reading Holyfield was telling people he thought his shoulder was good enough to beat Ruiz which was a bad idea in the first place if you even have to question how well your best/most important shoulder is feeling..

What Bowe did to Holy??What about what Holy did to Bowe??He made Bowe a fucking vegetable the rest of his life..I'd rather lose a fight than to be turned into a vegetable..

Will it look as bad as what Toney did to Holy??No,it'll look even worse..More like what Tarver did to Roy in the second fight..hahahaha..

There you go with that Holy stepping into the ring with a fucked up shoulder shit again. NO EXCUSES...he came to fight and got his ass whipped. If your not comfortable or confident in yourself dont get in the ring. Plain and simple. Holy just got a muggin! Tarver knocked Jones out...one hitter quitter style but you dont see me making excuses for it do ya? You've used the Holy's shoulder shit excuse for atleast 4 of his fights. The only excuse I made for Roy was his weight issue the first Tarver fight which he won!

And Ruiz sucks ass! HOF my ass!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (3King3 @ May 29 2009, 03:07 AM) *
There you go with that Holy stepping into the ring with a fucked up shoulder shit again. NO EXCUSES...he came to fight and got his ass whipped. If your not comfortable or confident in yourself dont get in the ring. Plain and simple. Holy just got a muggin! Tarver knocked Jones out...one hitter quitter style but you dont see me making excuses for it do ya? You've used the Holy's shoulder shit excuse for atleast 4 of his fights. The only excuse I made for Roy was his weight issue the first Tarver fight which he won!

And Ruiz sucks ass! HOF my ass!

Well if I saw no signs of a fucked up shoulder,I wouldn't be here bsing that it was..Yet,I saw Holy getting owned with right jabs by Chris Byrd and M. Moorer 1 and right hands from Toney..Now,if he had a shoulder problem against Lennox Lewis,the ref would of had to stop the fight if Holy wouldn't go down..Watch the M. Moorer 1 fight and you'll see exactly what I mean..Did Holy like southpaws??NO,but Holy is not a fucking idiot and knows how to stop a jab..I can remember him being triple jabbed by Moorer and he wasn't able to even raise his arm..If his or anyone elses shoulder was healthy like it should be in a fight,the arm would naturally go up to your face after the second jab landed..Just watch the fight,then comment on it..

You're excuse for Roy is legit..Why didn't he wait longer and be sure of himself too??Because he wanted to fight!!
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 29 2009, 04:24 AM) *
Well if I saw no signs of a fucked up shoulder,I wouldn't be here bsing that it was..Yet,I saw Holy getting owned with right jabs by Chris Byrd and M. Moorer 1 and right hands from Toney..Now,if he had a shoulder problem against Lennox Lewis,the ref would of had to stop the fight if Holy wouldn't go down..Watch the M. Moorer 1 fight and you'll see exactly what I mean..Did Holy like southpaws??NO,but Holy is not a fucking idiot and knows how to stop a jab..I can remember him being triple jabbed by Moorer and he wasn't able to even raise his arm..If his or anyone elses shoulder was healthy like it should be in a fight,the arm would naturally go up to your face after the second jab landed..Just watch the fight,then comment on it..

You're excuse for Roy is legit..Why didn't he wait longer and be sure of himself too??Because he wanted to fight!!

And thats his fault resulting in to two brutal knockouts!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (3King3 @ May 29 2009, 07:18 PM) *
And thats his fault resulting in to two brutal knockouts!

Exactly..It is a legit excuse but he shouldn't of stepped in the ring..I feel the same about Holy..Holy felt he could go on with a fucked up shoulder but he soon found out it was the worst thing he could of done..It's a legit excuse but in the end it was his fault for talking the fights..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.