Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: June 27th, good Top Rank PPV
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Mean Mister Mustard
I just saw this: June 27th

Juan Manuel Lopez vs. Olivier Lontchi, 12 rounds, for Lopez's WBO junior featherweight title

Fernando Montiel vs. Eric Morel, 12 rounds, for Montiel's WBO bantamweight title

Mike Alvarado vs. Paulie Malignaggi, 10 rounds, junior welterweights

Vanes Martirosyan vs. Andrey Tsurkan, 10 rounds, junior middleweights

Mario Santiago vs. Jose Beranza, 8 rounds, featherweights

Looks like a solid card all around, JML taking on undefeated Lontchi. I've seen Lontchi fight and he's a good fighter, not a devestating puncher but he can hurt you and has nice handspeed.

Then Montiel-Morel, which I think I read that Morel is looking good ever since he got out of jail and Montiel is on a nice run. If you like slick and fast guys fighting each others you will like this one.

Undefeated prospect Alvarado takes on Malignaggi. I'm interested to see Alvarado, I've only seen him against Bazan but if he is good he should be able to beat The Magic Man. Or this this too soon for him?

Martirosyan is a ruthless fighter and Tsurkan has a lot of heart and will not simpley lay down as he showed against Angulo.

Mario Santiago is just a little extra and I hope his fight is televised as he showed me poise when he drew with Luevano.

I like this card and on the same night there's the HBO fight between Ortiz and Maidana along with the John-Juarez rematch. I'm interested in continuing to see Ortiz and the Juarez and John scrap was good but I think I might get the Top Rank PPV card.
JLUVBABY
i hope its 24.95... looks like a good fight card but not a major league fight card...
thehype
TERRIBLE Top Rank PPV. This was supposed to be the card headlined by Pavlik vs. Mora...and even THAT was a TERRIBLE main event for a PPV. Don't get me wrong...that would have been a GREAT undercard for a PPV headlined by Pacquiao vs. Hatton or Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya...those are the type of undercards you SHOULD get whenever you buy a PPV...but having just those fights, a bunch of guys that the "average" boxing fan has seen little of, as a PPV????? I don't think so. No thanks. Don't get me wrong...it's a much better PPV than a lot of the other Top Rank PPVs we've been getting...but still....fuck PPV...those fights should be on a HBO tripleheader or something.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (thehype @ May 23 2009, 03:37 PM) *
TERRIBLE Top Rank PPV. This was supposed to be the card headlined by Pavlik vs. Mora...and even THAT was a TERRIBLE main event for a PPV. Don't get me wrong...that would have been a GREAT undercard for a PPV headlined by Pacquiao vs. Hatton or Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya...those are the type of undercards you SHOULD get whenever you buy a PPV...but having just those fights, a bunch of guys that the "average" boxing fan has seen little of, as a PPV????? I don't think so. No thanks. Don't get me wrong...it's a much better PPV than a lot of the other Top Rank PPVs we've been getting...but still....fuck PPV...those fights should be on a HBO tripleheader or something.

I agree but if it is reasonably priced I'll watch it. ONe of the reasons why is because all the fights seem competitive or at least fun, kind of like the Lightweight card put on by GBP.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (thehype @ May 23 2009, 02:37 PM) *

Thats a pretty damn good card i'll be buying thats for sure.
Snoop
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 23 2009, 09:04 PM) *
I agree but if it is reasonably priced I'll watch it. ONe of the reasons why is because all the fights seem competitive or at least fun, kind of like the Lightweight card put on by GBP.

Wait. You opened this thread saying that it was a "good" PPV but then agree that it's a "TERRIBLE" card as well? dntknw.gif
Jack 1000
QUOTE (thehype @ May 23 2009, 02:37 PM) *

Agree Hype,

You know we should start some sort of long term project that could get the commercial networks interested in boxing again. It would certainly take a lot of time and effort, but I think the industry needs to find some sort of middle ground. A middle ground for those bouts that are not PPV caliber or whom HBO/Showtime doesn't have air-time to accommodate them, Or a middle ground for a broadcast network or standard cable network to roll the dice and take a chance with some boxing. Duva Main Events did some great boxing a couple summers ago during May sweeps week and the cards were damn good! ABC, CBS, FOX, Spike TV, TNT did like two boxing cards ten years ago and never came back.

Why not make it an HBO tripleheader like Ben said? Or any of the above commercial networks who might want to do this for ONE NIGHT OR AFTERNOON. I'm not even asking for a weekly or bi-weekly series for boxing at this point. Just an experimental network to get a chance to show some fights not good enough for PPV, but not available for HBO/Showtime.

The fights above could represent part if the experiment test and they look decent. Not stellar, but a nice little Wide World of Sports/Sportsworld type package. And even from a network executive standpoint, if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out. But I think there has to be an incentive to TRY to get boxing mainstream again. With today's economy and rising cable and dish prices, I don't know how much longer PPV can be this blockbuster that promoters think it is. HBO/Showtime are still predominately movie services, as the boxing has always been a bonus, and a wonderful bonus.

If MMA can succeed on Spike and Verses (and viewable to just about all customers on standard cable/dish services) I'd like to see as little as one standard cable or broadcast network put one of these little scrappers on free TV. Than compare the revenue compared to how many people are buying these $35.00 cards that should not be PPV in the first place. There are other broadcast options and they can be successfully used.

Jack
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (snoopnick @ May 23 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Wait. You opened this thread saying that it was a "good" PPV but then agree that it's a "TERRIBLE" card as well? dntknw.gif

LOL what I meant to say was that I agreed with his statement that the PPV is basically one big undercard but like I said, all the fights are well matched and it looks like a good night of fights. I will probably end up watching this instead of the Ortiz-Random Argentinian guy and Juarez-JohnII.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 23 2009, 03:46 PM) *
Agree Hype,

You know we should start some sort of long term project that could get the commercial networks interested in boxing again. It would certainly take a lot of time and effort, but I think the industry needs to find some sort of middle ground. A middle ground for those bouts that are not PPV caliber or whom HBO/Showtime doesn't have air-time to accommodate them, Or a middle ground for a broadcast network or standard cable network to roll the dice and take a chance with some boxing. Duva Main Events did some great boxing a couple summers ago during May sweeps week and the cards were damn good! ABC, CBS, FOX, Spike TV, TNT did like two boxing cards ten years ago and never came back.

Why not make it an HBO tripleheader like Ben said? Or any of the above commercial networks who might want to do this for ONE NIGHT OR AFTERNOON. I'm not even asking for a weekly or bi-weekly series for boxing at this point. Just an experimental network to get a chance to show some fights not good enough for PPV, but not available for HBO/Showtime.

The fights above could represent part if the experiment test and they look decent. Not stellar, but a nice little Wide World of Sports/Sportsworld type package. And even from a network executive standpoint, if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out. But I think there has to be an incentive to TRY to get boxing mainstream again. With today's economy and rising cable and dish prices, I don't know how much longer PPV can be this blockbuster that promoters think it is. HBO/Showtime are still predominately movie services, as the boxing has always been a bonus, and a wonderful bonus.

If MMA can succeed on Spike and Verses (and viewable to just about all customers on standard cable/dish services) I'd like to see as little as one standard cable or broadcast network put one of these little scrappers on free TV. Than compare the revenue compared to how many people are buying these $35.00 cards that should not be PPV in the first place. There are other broadcast options and they can be successfully used.

Jack

This PPV card would be very good on network TV at 12 in the afternoon. Very good competitive fights. Over in Montreal Canada, Lontchi fights on network tv at 4pm and does some good ratinngs so people know who he is. Same with the other fighters such as Pascal, Alcine, Ngoudjo etc.

That's all boxing needs in the U.S: bouts on network tv.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.