Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's seen the Tyson Documentary?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
What did you think of it?
Romulus9
I have it but I haven't watched it yet. I plan on doing that in the next few days now that the schedule has opened up.
J1GG
I just torrented it and watched it very great flim i would recommend to boxing fans and non boxing fans very well made movie 10/10 I give it
Saigon
I thought it was a good documentary. People like to give Tyson a hard time so I think this movie gave him a chance to defend himself as well he came out quite humble and well spoken in everything he talked about. I really enjoyed and suggest it any fight or casual fan.
dbdbdb
If anybody needed a moment to defend themselves - It is Tyson.

And in this docu. Tyson opened up the floodgates to expose the reality behind the chaos that was his career in boxing. He took the opportunity and ran with it -- explaining everything from the beginning to the end.

And after all was said and done, you couldn't help but feel for all the sh*t this guy went through. Even though much of the turmoil was self-inflicted ... you got a chance to see clearly that all this guy really needed was someone to have his back through thick & thin. And the one person {Cuss} who had his back passed away early in his career. All the leeaches that came after Cuss added to the disorientation and to a large degree contributed to Tyson's downfall.

A very good docu.
Mean Mister Mustard
I have not been able to see it since it is not available in any theaters here.

I have one question though. A couple of years back I think it was ABC, NBC or CBS where they did a news segment that said that Tyson was railroaded in the rape trial and that he didn't do it. Do they talk about that in the doc?
dbdbdb
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 24 2009, 01:35 PM) *
I have not been able to see it since it is not available in any theaters here.

I have one question though. A couple of years back I think it was ABC, NBC or CBS where they did a news segment that said that Tyson was railroaded in the rape trial and that he didn't do it. Do they talk about that in the doc?

Yeah, Tyson called that Desiree babe a filthy, lying, sack of sh*t {Or something to that effect} laugh.gif and emphatically denied any rape occurred ..... It was consensual.
neophyte7
Some of it was interesting but most of it was pathetic... Tyson is pathetic---- I mean, the documentary seemed more of a dialog of sympathy in order to allow Tyson's broke ass to get some loot--- the cus damato footage was great, but Mike Tyson is not a great fighter- he beat no one great (Holmes was old)... who did Tyson beat that was great? When faced greatness (Evander) he wilted like hot butter on a stove-- Mike Tyson goes down as the youngest heavy in history, but he does not crack the top 50 greatest fighters of all time in my view - he was great in one category- power--

HONESTLY--- I am sure there are 50 fighters in history that can be named greater than Tyson- maybe 100
Byrd Man
Blahtalk has an "exclusive" interview with Tyson on the front page and made an interesting comment in the section that was open to everyone. Said that Tyson is set to make "some decent cashola from his movie..." and book/appearance in that Hangover flick.

But from what I've heard, the contract Tyson signed as far as being given royalties or whatever for this documentary is ridiculous.

That he doesn't get anything unless it does well. I don't know the specifics but this reminds me of that contract that Master P got Rickey Williams where he had everything incentive laden and he got virtually nothing upfront.

Plus now there are those saying that Tyson lied about shit in the documentary. Still haven't seen it but I've had it for awhile now.
As the former assistant manager of Mike Tyson I was shocked at the lies and fabrications Mike told in this movie.
I was asked to screen this documentary by ESPN which owns the rights to most of the various Tyson fight videos used in the movie.
I was more interested in what Mike had to say.
The lies he told were:
1. He was always an addict
2. He was always an alcoholic
3. He always had demons
4. Managers Jacobs and Cayton signed him when he was underage
4. Managers Jacobs and Cayton were “slave masters”

It is obvious that Mike’s new manager, Harlan Werner, is just as devious as Robin Givens, Don King and Shelly Finkel, the people responsible for Mike going from being the world’s most popular athlete (1987 European AP poll) to the bum of the century.

In this film Mike completely ignores the period, 1984-1988. when he was a super hero with original managers Bill Cayton and Jim Jacobs. During that time he was the darling of corporate America as evidenced by his being hired to do network TV commercials for Pepsi Cola, Nintendo Video and Kodak Film. Not enough - he was hired by the New York City Police Department, the FBI and the Drug Enforcement Administration to do PSA’s. The Police and FBI do not usually hire people to act as role models who are addicts or who have demons. (Please see link below for photos of these campaigns)
Mike was interviewed by the New York Times before he went to Cannes for the debut of the movie. In the interview he told lie after lie about his life.

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/movies/11aran.html

Here is the link to the letter I wrote to the Times that was printed:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/arts/01a...nyt&emc=rss

Two years ago, when I first learned that this movie was to be made I warned Tyson’s manager, director James Toback, as well as the producer of the film, Jeffrey Berg, that Mike would lie to protect himself from looking like a buffoon.
I gave them specific details of what should be done to bring Mike back into the public eye in a very positive way.
These details were:

1. Dump all the bums that surround Mike and replace them with an old friend of Mike’s who recently retired from the FBI
2. Get rid of the insane facial tattoo - no questions asked.
3. Have the FBI friend pull some strings to get Mike to Iraq to do exhibitions for the troops for a period of 6 months. Exhibitions to include the opportunity for every man stationed there to get one minute in the ring with Tyson for fun.
4. After six months bring Mike back to the United States and begin doing fund raising exhibitions for Police Departments and Fire Departments.

Mike’s manager Harlen Werner ignored me completely.

The reason - none of my suggestions would put money in Werner’s pocket. And that is his only objective.
My entire correspondence with Werner, the film’s producers, as well as documents and photos proving Mike’s huge hero status with Cayton and Jacobs may be found at this website:

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/news/archives/00004333.htm

Steve Lott
Mike Tyson Assistant Manager
1984-1988
BigG
1. He was always an addict
2. He was always an alcoholic
3. He always had demons

I'm wondering how these are lies? Seems to like Mike has always been a very manic depressive person with alot of issues mentally.
dbdbdb
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 24 2009, 05:20 PM) *
Some of it was interesting but most of it was pathetic... Tyson is pathetic---- I mean, the documentary seemed more of a dialog of sympathy in order to allow Tyson's broke ass to get some loot--- the cus damato footage was great, but Mike Tyson is not a great fighter- he beat no one great (Holmes was old)... who did Tyson beat that was great? When faced greatness (Evander) he wilted like hot butter on a stove-- Mike Tyson goes down as the youngest heavy in history, but he does not crack the top 50 greatest fighters of all time in my view - he was great in one category- power--

HONESTLY--- I am sure there are 50 fighters in history that can be named greater than Tyson- maybe 100

Even though 99.9% of what you wrote is subjective, to say the least .... I'm curious as to why YOU THINK soo many talk about how great Tyson was prior to his self-destruction??
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 24 2009, 04:20 PM) *

you obviously never saw a prime mike tyson...
STEVENSKI
Where is this doco Fitz?
Romulus9

Wow.

Clueless.
BigG
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 24 2009, 10:20 PM) *

Spinks was also a great and undefeated going into the Tyson fight.

Tyson is GREAT...that is why he unified the title at age 21 and made 10 defenses in his prime.

Weather you think he is great or not...one thing you cannot dispute is he has cemented his legacy as a legend in SPORTS and that is why EVERYONE is still talking about Tyson to this day.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 24 2009, 11:36 PM) *
The thing that annoyed me that they didn't do always was when they were putting the multiple images and sounds on the screen. It was annoying and not very effective for what ever effect they were trying to have.

Ditto on that. It was hard to concentrate on five simultaneous images showcasing different things.
JaRaNDa
A boxing or casual fan would be able to enjoy this documentary. Anytime during Tyson's life and career, the man is always enjoyable to watch and listen to! Weather it's his intelligance, knowledge of the sport, stories, the way he talks, vocabulary, unpredictableness, people will always enjoy Mike Tyson!

I understand James Toback was trying to capture a particular angle of Mike Tyson and an approach on the film as a whole, but I was a little disappointed in the film in more than one way though.

After reading about this documentary before hand I was under the impression that James Toback had known Tyson for 20+ years and had hours of unseen footage from then till now!
It was a good doco overall with many being able to watch it, but I think it was a pinch of a let down due to lack of fight, training, various interview footage and a very patchy life of Tyson in a nutshell!

I don't think James Toback did a very good job documenting his career enough or thoroughly at all! Would have been nice to put more focus on his highlights and accomplishments in the ring and also his prime and 1st heavyweight reign! He definetly did not go through his career thoroughly enough or in much detail. Would have been nice to have Tyson talk about his fights a bit more! and not chunks of his career with minimal footage or annalyst of the fights!
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 25 2009, 09:23 PM) *

Yeah...this is horrible news...right as things were lookin' up for him too....hope she makes it and can return to normalcy...
Romulus9
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ May 25 2009, 09:48 PM) *
Yeah...this is horrible news...right as things were lookin' up for him too....hope she makes it and can return to normalcy...

Horrible news. Thoughts and prayers go out to that family. Wow.
thehype
Mike Tyson goes down as the youngest heavy in history, but he does not crack the top 50 greatest fighters of all time in my view

I don't think that's inaccurate statement. In fact, Tyson would probably agree with that. You could easily come up with 50 all-time great fighters that would be ranked above him. In fact, if I remember correctly, I think ESPN came up with a list of the 50 greaters boxers of all time and, well, Mike Tyson was #50 with guys like Oscar De La Hoya, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather Jr. ranked above him. Still though, Mike Tyson was no doubt go down as a legend and will likely be remembered more than a lot of the guys who actually made their list becausee his aura of invincibility is something that had not been seen for a long, long time.

On a side note, I remembering being a little disappointed with ESPN's list of the 50 greatest fighters. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's so subjective and when you're talking about a list that big, it's hard to include everyone...still though, to have guys like De La Hoya, Barrera, Morales, Jones Jr. and Mayweather Jr. rated so high, I'm shocked that I didn't see guys like Salvador Sanchez, Wilfredo Gomez or Wilfredo Benitez on that list...especially Salvador Sanchez and Wilfredo Gomez. I mean, WTF?????
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (dbdbdb @ May 24 2009, 12:14 PM) *
If anybody needed a moment to defend themselves - It is Tyson.

And in this docu. Tyson opened up the floodgates to expose the reality behind the chaos that was his career in boxing. He took the opportunity and ran with it -- explaining everything from the beginning to the end.

And after all was said and done, you couldn't help but feel for all the sh*t this guy went through. Even though much of the turmoil was self-inflicted ... you got a chance to see clearly that all this guy really needed was someone to have his back through thick & thin. And the one person {Cuss} who had his back passed away early in his career. All the leeaches that came after Cuss added to the disorientation and to a large degree contributed to Tyson's downfall.

A very good docu.

Do you mean the testicle kicks to your kids that Tyson talked about wanting to do to make you feel his pain??
JonnyBlaze
What is this documentary called again??
Romulus9
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 26 2009, 03:06 AM) *
What is this documentary called again??

Tyson.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.