Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavliks and Arum not seeing eye to eye?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
Seems like Pavlik wasn't the reason for the fight not happening. Hell I dont give a shit who's fault it is, I just thank God it's not happening. Maybe we can get Pavlik vs. Abraham sooner.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=20111
Fitz
Or they may look towards Mundine, considering he fought last night. That's if Mundine's camp and that keep to their word and that was looking at Sturm or Pavlik. We will see. No great loss anyways, the Mora fight would probably been garbage anyways.
King Eugene
Very Garbage...I'm sure GBP and Top Rank could work something out. I'm sure Arum see's the easy Payday for Pavlik in this one. It would be funny as hell if Mundine manages to decision him. I'd be dying to see you Aussies reactions to that one.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (3King3 @ May 28 2009, 08:00 AM) *
Very Garbage...I'm sure GBP and Top Rank could work something out. I'm sure Arum see's the easy Payday for Pavlik in this one. It would be funny as hell if Mundine manages to decision him. I'd be dying to see you Aussies reactions to that one.

I would be crying, screaming & put in a straight jacket. There would be nothing funny at all if he got a W over Pavlik.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 28 2009, 03:26 AM) *
I would be crying, screaming & put in a straight jacket. There would be nothing funny at all if he got a W over Pavlik.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Now that would be funny! He would shake up the boxing world.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (3King3 @ May 28 2009, 02:00 AM) *

Bumdine would not get a decision over my grandmother.

Having fed on a steady diet of bums (guys that would make some of Roid's opponents look like Rocky) Bumdine has actually gone majorly backwards as a fighter, after shwoing some decent early promise.

I hope he gets a fight with Pavlik or Abraham so that I can see him get premanently seperated from his senses (what he has left of them.)
Fitz
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ May 28 2009, 08:55 PM) *
Having fed on a steady diet of bums (guys that would make some of Roid's opponents look like Rocky) Bumdine has actually gone majorly backwards as a fighter, after shwoing some decent early promise.

Agreed. Some people may remember, but I used to talk Mundine up on these boards (never liked him as a person), I thought he was a very good fighter that was selling himself short by staying in Australia. It appears that him having a late start in boxing, moving down to 160 instead of facing Kessler may have effected him, if anything he should have moved up to 175, though that would mean facing bigger guys, and him constantly fighting journeymen from South America and Asian countries constantly seems to have made him fight down to there level now.
He has definitely taken a step back and declined, I don't think of him as highly and he will only have himself to blame because he didn't have the balls earlier in his career to try and amount to something. It's almost like someone is going for a time or weight record and they have spent themselves in the warm up.
Few years back if he went and tried to become something after the Green or second Soliman fight, I think he could have been someone, not any more. Wasted his better years fighting trash.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 28 2009, 06:03 AM) *
Agreed. Some people may remember, but I used to talk Mundine up on these boards (never liked him as a person), I thought he was a very good fighter that was selling himself short by staying in Australia. It appears that him having a late start in boxing, moving down to 160 instead of facing Kessler may have effected him, if anything he should have moved up to 175, though that would mean facing bigger guys, and him constantly fighting journeymen from South America and Asian countries constantly seems to have made him fight down to there level now.
He has definitely taken a step back and declined, I don't think of him as highly and he will only have himself to blame because he didn't have the balls earlier in his career to try and amount to something. It's almost like someone is going for a time or weight record and they have spent themselves in the warm up.
Few years back if he went and tried to become something after the Green or second Soliman fight, I think he could have been someone, not any more. Wasted his better years fighting trash.

Fitz after the Green fight I remember actually being very impressed. It seemed he had found his own style after a few years trying to imitate everyone else. I thought this guy could actually go somewhere but then for some bizarre reason he started fighting the most ludicrous list of suspects imaginable.

Do you remember him fighting that bum from NZ Sean Sullivan? Twice if I remember!! (Admittedly before the Green fight) and Sullivan even gave him a pretty decent workout first time round.
Mean Mister Mustard
Pavlik-Abraham is the only fight at 160 to make.
Fitz
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ May 28 2009, 09:23 PM) *
Fitz after the Green fight I remember actually being very impressed. It seemed he had found his own style after a few years trying to imitate everyone else. I thought this guy could actually go somewhere but then for some bizarre reason he started fighting the most ludicrous list of suspects imaginable.

Do you remember him fighting that bum from NZ Sean Sullivan? Twice if I remember!! (Admittedly before the Green fight) and Sullivan even gave him a pretty decent workout first time round.

Yeah he has taken a lot of garbage fights, what was the deal with a 3rd fight with Soliman? I was very impressed with him, but we both agree that he let his best years go by.
STEVENSKI
His best fight was against Lester "Master Balster" Ellis. A guy with a pretty decent record of 41-7-0 who was a former world champion. The "Master Blaster" won the IBF super featherweight title in 1985 & his last fight before Mundine was against Calvin Grove at 135 in 1996. He fought Mundine at 167 in 2002.

Did I add Lester was a raging alcoholic at the time drinking 30-40 bottles of beer a day. A real hero Mundine is.

A highly dangerous fight to take so early in his career after coming off that knockout loss to the ever lethal puncher Sven "Phantom" Ottke you must surely admire Mundines fearless courage in stepping up to the plate.

thehype
LOL at Team Pavlik for acting like they don't know why the fight was called off.

They know exactly why it was called off...money!

They've been complaining behind-the-scenes for quite some time now about the purses they're getting...even going so far as to run behind ol' Bob's back to speak with others about what can be done to rectify the situation. My guess is that ol' Bob caught wind of what was going on, slapped Pavlik on the wrist and sent him to his room. More than likely, he probably will be put into a fight with Abraham or somebody more "dangerous" than Mora...which is GREAT for the fans. It's kind of the same thing that happened to Cotto for mouthing off about Arum supporting Margarito and hinting that he might break from him once his contract runs out. Cotto doesn't have to be fighting Clottey right now...he could have fought the rematch with Mosley, a guy that he already holds a victory over, knows he can hang with and probably could have made more money off of...instead, ol' Arum basically said, "Fuck you kid...let's see what you can do with Clottey." LOL. I think it's great...all that behind-the-scenes soap opera stuff cracks me up.

But I have to agree...who cares why the fight was scrapped...I'm just glad it was.

laugh.gif
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 28 2009, 06:42 AM) *

Either guy against Williams would be pretty good too.
Method
Cotto doesn't have to be fighting Clottey right now...he could have fought the rematch with Mosley, a guy that he already holds a victory over, knows he can hang with and probably could have made more money off of...instead, ol' Arum basically said, "Fuck you kid...let's see what you can do with Clottey." LOL.

I had ZERO interest in seeing Pavlik/Mora, but Im having a hard time digesting the effect of these cause effect examples you listed. you actually think Arum would cut off his nose to spite his face (especially with what you said above). why would he risk cash cows?

Im not saying you are wrong, but am I missing something here? I think what you said about Pavlik/Mora is a little more plausible (even though I have a hard time seeing it), as it may be harder to get Pavlik paid for that fight...

....nevermind, we're talking about it online...
thehype
QUOTE (Method @ May 28 2009, 11:26 AM) *
I had ZERO interest in seeing Pavlik/Mora, but Im having a hard time digesting the effect of these cause effect examples you listed. you actually think Arum would cut off his nose to spite his face (especially with what you said above). why would he risk cash cows?

Im not saying you are wrong, but am I missing something here? I think what you said about Pavlik/Mora is a little more plausible (even though I have a hard time seeing it), as it may be harder to get Pavlik paid for that fight...

....nevermind, we're talking about it online...

Yeah...I definitely think Arum would fuck Cotto over like that...especially if he can do it with one of his own fighters. There were a lot of other options for Cotto other than putting him into another tough matchup with a guy like Clottey. He could have fought Mosley in the rematch (more money), he could have unified with Berto (more money) or he even could have fought Collazo in an all-Puerto Rican clash during the weekend of the Puerto Rican Day Parade (more money). Why the heck would Arum put him in with Clottey (less money) in the first place...especially since a win over Clottey will do little to enhance his career since very few fans even know who Clottey is? If Cotto loses, Arum will still be able to cash in on him as the rematch with Mosley is still lingering out there...not to mention, Margarito will evenutally be back and that's another name that Arum could rebuild Cotto with. This fight with Clottey is a "FUCK YOU" fight. LOL.

Bob's teaching him a lesson...don't bite the hand that feeds you.

LOL

If Cotto comes out unscathed, they hey, no loss to Bob.

LOL
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 28 2009, 06:42 AM) *

Cosign!

Jack
D-MARV
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 28 2009, 07:42 AM) *

PWill against either of those guys would be good too.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Big Slim @ May 28 2009, 03:56 PM) *
Either guy against Williams would be pretty good too.

What exactly has Williams done at 160 to make him a contender & a worthy challenger at the titles? Besides taking on mythical superpowers on message boards that is.
Fitz
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 29 2009, 09:16 AM) *
What exactly has Williams done at 160 to make him a contender & a worthy challenger at the titles? Besides taking on mythical superpowers on message boards that is.

He gave Winky a pretty good beating at 160. Considering nobody wants to face him at 147, he went on and beat Phillips at 154 in a weak division, then went on to 160 and beat Wright in pretty big fashion. I think that's enough to be a worthy challenger considering it's Pavlik, Abraham and Sturm in that division.
King Eugene
Yep we can hang up Pavlik vs. Abraham anytime soon.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=20141
Brad
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 29 2009, 07:27 AM) *
He gave Winky a pretty good beating at 160. Considering nobody wants to face him at 147, he went on and beat Phillips at 154 in a weak division, then went on to 160 and beat Wright in pretty big fashion. I think that's enough to be a worthy challenger considering it's Pavlik, Abraham and Sturm in that division.

he also beat Andy Kolle at middleweight. I know Kolle isn't a world class fighter, but he's only been beaten by Andre Ward and Paul Williams (albeit they were the only big tests for him) and fighters of his callibre is what most fighters take on to get their title shots. You don't have to fight and beat the elites just to get a title shot, now that would be kind of backwards wouldn't it......
STEVENSKI
I see your points guys.
Brad
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 28 2009, 08:45 PM) *
His best fight was against Lester "Master Balster" Ellis. A guy with a pretty decent record of 41-7-0 who was a former world champion. The "Master Blaster" won the IBF super featherweight title in 1985 & his last fight before Mundine was against Calvin Grove at 135 in 1996. He fought Mundine at 167 in 2002.

Did I add Lester was a raging alcoholic at the time drinking 30-40 bottles of beer a day. A real hero Mundine is.

A highly dangerous fight to take so early in his career after coming off that knockout loss to the ever lethal puncher Sven "Phantom" Ottke you must surely admire Mundines fearless courage in stepping up to the plate.

best fight or best performance? As you said, Lester Ellis wasn't the same fighter at that time of his life, i'd say his shut out of Danny Green was his best performance and i've been hearing the Geale fight was great too but I have yet to see it.

With 6 KO's out of 34 fights i'd hate to be the guy who got knocked out cold by Ottke, especially if it was my 11th fight and I was beating the guy who was considered the best super middleweight at the time. It is funny how fights play out sometimes, some guys can't crack an egg but when they have skill and if they land a well placed shot its all over, then you get some guys who can crack a block of concrete but if they are too slow and robotic and can't land a punch against top-rated opponents then its a long night.

Anyone watch the Geale-Mundine fight? I was certain that Mundine would lose and he'd be too fatigued from the weight draining. I heard that he used some cheap tape that kept coming loose throughout the fight and allowed him time to recover a lot. I hope Geale bounces back, he's a good fighter.

I think Pavlik would damn near kill Mundine, i'm not a sadistic weirdo but I kind of hope the fight gets made for the simple fact that there is such a great perceived risk involved, well for Mundine there is. It is fights like these where people think your risking your life that mean all the more accolades if you win, unless of course your #1 pound for pound like Pacman, then the haters will hate, don't think Mundine will have that problem though LOL
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Brad @ May 29 2009, 04:19 AM) *
best fight or best performance? As you said, Lester Ellis wasn't the same fighter at that time of his life, i'd say his shut out of Danny Green was his best performance and i've been hearing the Geale fight was great too but I have yet to see it.

C'mon Brad. That just shows what a lowlife cat Mundine is at heart. Fighting a alcoholic 40lbs past best weight fighter 15+ years out of their prime & retired for 6 years is a stone cowards move. Mundine has made plenty of those moves throughout his career.

QUOTE (Brad @ May 29 2009, 04:19 AM) *
Anyone watch the Geale-Mundine fight? I was certain that Mundine would lose and he'd be too fatigued from the weight draining. I heard that he used some cheap tape that kept coming loose throughout the fight and allowed him time to recover a lot. I hope Geale bounces back, he's a good fighter.

As for the Geale fight it is widely reported how certain members of Mundine's entourage surrounded the UK judge warning him he had better score the fight "correctly" & threatening him whenever he scored a round for Geale.

Yet another Mundine fight with shady dealings throughout from the clear unscored knockdown by Geale to the continuous glove & tape issues (6 stoppages to fix the tape) & his total disrespect for his opponent refusing to go to centre ring when the result was announced.

Just another incident filled Mundine fight really where his opponent lost a fight he won & Mundine gets credit for his poor performance.

Geale is not world class & is nowhere near world class. The fact that Mundine struggled with Geale & arguable lost the fight shows how he too is far from world class.

I hope he gets a fight with Pavlik & Kelly does damage he does not walk away from.

Brad
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 29 2009, 12:03 PM) *
C'mon Brad. That just shows what a lowlife cat Mundine is at heart. Fighting a alcoholic 40lbs past best weight fighter 15+ years out of their prime & retired for 6 years is a stone cowards move. Mundine has made plenty of those moves throughout his career.

As for the Geale fight it is widely reported how certain members of Mundine's entourage surrounded the UK judge warning him he had better score the fight "correctly" & threatening him whenever he scored a round for Geale.

Yet another Mundine fight with shady dealings throughout from the clear unscored knockdown by Geale to the continuous glove & tape issues (6 stoppages to fix the tape) & his total disrespect for his opponent refusing to go to centre ring when the result was announced.

Just another incident filled Mundine fight really where his opponent lost a fight he won & Mundine gets credit for his poor performance.

Geale is not world class & is nowhere near world class. The fact that Mundine struggled with Geale & arguable lost the fight shows how he too is far from world class.

I hope he gets a fight with Pavlik & Kelly does damage he does not walk away from.

I agree that there is no way he should have fought Lester Ellis, lets just hope that Lester got a bit of money out of it, about the only thing either guy was going to gain.

I downloaded the Geale fight to watch tonight, i've heard it was very exciting, soon finding out, after the Eagles game that is thumbsup_anim.gif

Isn't as bad as Mundine fighting Lester, but how about Green wanting Shannan Taylor next? For fuck sake, I criticised Mundine for choosing to fight him at 160. I watched live Taylor getting KO'd by Mosley and even though Arthur Abraham gave him a shot at 160 I think that his time had come and gone and it wasn't the fight to make. BUT now we have Green wanting Taylor to move from 160 to 175, coming off a disgraceful loss (I know he's fighting a bum in the interim and needs to win) to Mundine of all people. It was not all that long ago that Taylor was a crack head!

With Green now looking to RJ and possibly fighting on the undercard of RJ-Lacy lets hope the Taylor sham never gets another mention as an option. Perhaps he'll target Kostya Tszyu instead, then again it won't happen because we know who would win that and I can see Green taking as little risks as possible so he can fight Mundine again. I think Mundine might take some risk and go for a 160 champ, and I think he's just looking at Green as being the fall back when he loses, the last hurrah for both fighters will be the rematch. Green will do the seniors circuit until then, Mundine will likely take a small risk but lose to any of the middleweight champs and then the big one will happen and the folk in Australia will still be treating it as the biggest fight of the year and whoever wins will be looked upon like a p4p champ lol.
STEVENSKI
LOL you are right Brad.

My favourite Taylor fight was against Mosley. "C'mon Shannon".
Fitz
I despise Shannon Taylor, hate him more than Mundine. I wish Taylor took the Green fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.