Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fights that never materialized
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Lil-lightsout
Riddick Bowe-Lennox Lewis. Both guys in there primes, I would have taking Bowe by mid round stoppage due to his inside fighting ability. LL def had a chance to end it early too with his huge right hand, but at that time Bowe seemed to be a more complete fighter.

Ike Quartey-Felix Trinidad. At the time I always favored Ike, but now I would say it was basically a toss-up. Would have been one hell of an explosive fight.

Michael Moorer-Prince Charles Williams at 175. Great contrast in styles, and of course Moorer would have stopped Williams in devastating fashion.

Roy Jones-Darius Michalcheski. Man I really wanted this fight to get made, cause Roy would have destroyed him. Roy would have gave him a thorough beating.

Shane Mosley-Floyd Mayweather at 135. I am severley biased, so I always favored Shane at lightweight in this fight. This fight would have been absolutely amazing to watch the two best fighters match speed and skills.

These are off the top of my head.
D-MARV
I'll take Lewis by late round stoppage. Bowe would have struggled with the bigger, faster, more athletic guy. Look what Golota was able to do with Bowe.

I'll take Tito by close decision maybe even Majority. Would have been a real competitive fight in which Felix would have had his bell rung or even dropped.

Moorer KO8 over Charles. Moorer at Light Heavy was an ANIMAL.

Roy UD over Darius. 12 rounds to 0

Shane at 135 was a force. Floyd was lighter on his feet though so I'll tke Floyd by Split decison.

GREAT THREAD!!!

King Eugene
Roy and Hopkins at 168 when Roy was the LHW champ and Hopkins was the MW Champ

Hopkins vs. Toney: At middleweight I would favor Toney in this one

I agree about Shane and Mayweather at 135 just like I agree with LL and Bowe

To be honest I hate Judah and Mosley didn't get to happen.

Roy vs. Tito before he was demolished by Hopkins

Excellent thread!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 29 2009, 10:02 PM) *
Riddick Bowe-Lennox Lewis. Both guys in there primes, I would have taking Bowe by mid round stoppage due to his inside fighting ability. LL def had a chance to end it early too with his huge right hand, but at that time Bowe seemed to be a more complete fighter.

Ike Quartey-Felix Trinidad. At the time I always favored Ike, but now I would say it was basically a toss-up. Would have been one hell of an explosive fight.

Michael Moorer-Prince Charles Williams at 175. Great contrast in styles, and of course Moorer would have stopped Williams in devastating fashion.

Roy Jones-Darius Michalcheski. Man I really wanted this fight to get made, cause Roy would have destroyed him. Roy would have gave him a thorough beating.

Shane Mosley-Floyd Mayweather at 135. I am severley biased, so I always favored Shane at lightweight in this fight. This fight would have been absolutely amazing to watch the two best fighters match speed and skills.

those where all good fights that where never made... i would have to go with bowe vs. that version of lennox.. quartey vs. trinidad to me would have been a toss up... moorer for sure would have dismantled williams... roy would have beaen mich... and the best fight of the list to me is the shane vs. floyd fight at 135... i cant call it tho i would have to lean towards floyd... he was a complete diffrent fighter in that one but he also was a master at adapting to styles... i think flloyd would have taken that one..

heres one i would like to add too... mike tyson vs. evander holyfield circa. 1988-1989 when they should have made that fight... the fights we got where not what they would have been back then... i dont want to call a winner but the skill level would have been a lot higher back then...
D-MARV
Remember when Tarver was doing the Rocky Movie?

He mentioned a possible fight against Tyson at Heavyweight. How would that have played out. This was in 2006, I believe... Tyson didn't get fat yet.
King Eugene
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 29 2009, 11:53 PM) *
Remember when Tarver was doing the Rocky Movie?

He mentioned a possible fight against Tyson at Heavyweight. How would that have played out. This was in 2006, I believe... Tyson didn't get fat yet.

If he could have survived the first 5 rounds he would have decisioned Tyson.

Hold up...what the hell am I talking about? Tyson would have put pressure on that dude and WHIPPED HIS EVERLASTING ASS!!! Tarver wouldn't have been able to carry that weight during a fight!
Romulus9
Roy Jones vs. Nigel Benn....

if only it could have happened.

Jones KO 1
Fitz
Erik Morales vs Juan Marquez at 126.

Would have been a very tough fight IMO, a true pick 'em fight. I think Morales could have hung with Marquez boxing, but could be a fight where the heated exchanges were the telling parts of rounds, and I think Morales would just bring it a bit more. But either way, I think if they were to have several fights, could have different winners. I just think it would be tight like Morales-Barrera, though Barrera just had the slight edge.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ May 29 2009, 11:58 PM) *
Roy Jones vs. Nigel Benn....

if only it could have happened.

Jones KO 1

Jones loved to check that chin in round 1. If it was weak then it was over!
BigG
Tyson-Bowe early 90's - Could've happened if Tyson never went to prison. I think it wouldve been a great matchup for Tyson to win by KO but then again he was never the same after the Douglas fight IMO he didnt seem hungry anymore.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (biggeorge89 @ May 29 2009, 11:04 PM) *
Tyson-Bowe early 90's - Could've happened if Tyson never went to prison. I think it wouldve been a great matchup for Tyson to win by KO but then again he was never the same after the Douglas fight IMO he didnt seem hungry anymore.

i think tysons hunger was lost before the douglas fight... if you go back and listen to the post fight press conference of his spinks fight he talked of retiring then...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 29 2009, 11:13 PM) *
i think tysons hunger was lost before the douglas fight... if you go back and listen to the post fight press conference of his spinks fight he talked of retiring then...

Agreed!! Tyson was all but washed up (mentally) after the Spinks fight. He was pretty much done. I don't give much credence to Mike's career after that, not the victories nor the defeats. He just wasn't the same guy.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Toney and Jones against either Benn or Eubank.

Hamed against Morales or even JMM or PBF. Embarassments for the Prince all of em.

Ibeabuchi versues pretty much everyone. LOL

Winky/De La Hoya and De La Hoya/Cotto.

Tua and Tyson. I wouldn't have minded seeing Tua against the slightly faded Holyfield. Evander could've outboxed tua every day of the week but osmething tells me he would've been lured into one hell of a brawl.

Toney and Hokins is probably th eone that bugs me the most. The press conferences alone would've been hilarious. Toney/taver would've been a hoot as well. Toney badly destroys the 'magic man' in that one.

I'll take prime Bowe against Lennox, but he definately had a mental issue with Lenny so who knows?

Can I also say Mosley/Mayweather? Mayweather/Cotto. Mayweather/Williams. Mayweather/Winky, I know this thread is called 'fights that never materialized' but I'd say there is a pretty good chance these won't happen. LOL

Foreman/Holmes during their comeback phase would've been good too.
The Original MrFactor
Mike McCallum vs Hagler, Hearns or Leonard.
Nay_Sayer
Trinidad de la Hoya II

Holyfield Jones

Mosley Trinidad @ 147

Tszyu Judah II

Mayweather Tszyu

Hopkins Jones II

Tyson Holyfield III

JaRaNDa
most recently..
Pac-Marquez III
Pac-Guzman
Pac-Diaz
Pac-Campbell
Pac-Casamayor
Mayweather-Margarito (instead of Baldi)
Mayweather-Cotto (when both were undefeated title holders)
Mayweather-Williams (when both were undefeated title holders)
Mayweather-Mosley (same time as above)

QUOTE (3King3 @ May 30 2009, 04:31 AM) *
To be honest I hate Judah and Mosley didn't get to happen.

Agreed, I was really annoyed that this fight was actually signed then got blown off! I always wanted to see these 2 in the ring and thought Mosley would have won but would have been intresting and exciting while it lasted!

QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ May 30 2009, 04:53 AM) *

Roy Jones Jr-Mike Tyson was spoken about at one point as well! Tyson was a 3 round fighter at best at this point..but would that have been enough to get Roy out of there?

Tyson-Holyfield 89'
Forrest-Trinidad @ 147
Forrest-Mayweather @ 147
Tszyu-Mayweather @ 140
Tszyu-Mosley @ 140
Cotto-Hatton @ 140
Morales-Marquez @ 126
Hopkins-Toney @ 190
Jones-Hopkins @ 175
Mayorga-Judah @ 147
Lewis-Klitcshko II

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 29 2009, 10:02 PM) *

Lennox would have beaten the mentally defeated Bowe..

Ike would have beat Trinidad..

Michael Moorer beats Williams..

Floyd beats Shane...
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ May 30 2009, 08:20 AM) *
Trinidad de la Hoya II

Holyfield Jones

Mosley Trinidad @ 147

Tszyu Judah II

Mayweather Tszyu

Hopkins Jones II

Tyson Holyfield III

De La Hoya be clear UD - assuming De La Hoya would only do better and the judges would have a more acurate night!

Jones by Clear UD - Jones at heavy was still a very quick fighter who seem to carry a bit of power to the division. Although I would not expect him to stop Holy like Toney did, but would have expected Jones to win in more clear impressive fashion!

Mosley close UD - Mosley does better than Tito in a lot of areas and would out jab and move his way into an exciting win on the cards!

Tszyu KO 4 - Judah may have come into this fight a lot more cautious or prehaps come out more emotional which either case would only see him get caught again and stopped!

Tszyu KO 6 - Mayweather would be on his bike over cautious with Tszyu peppering and waving his jab around, landing the ocasional solid lefts jabs and hooks, stalking, cutting off the ring and finally BANG!! along the ropes Tszyu tags Mayweather AGAIN!! ...a right hand lands which has Maywetaher stumbling along the side of the ropes until he staggers to the corner..crowd ROARING! straight right to the body, Tszyu lands the final 1-2 that has Mayweather crumble to his knee knocked out along the corner..ref jumping in a second too late! LOL

Jones UD - Same problems that would have been there from the 1st fight, Jones to quick on his feet and his much faster hand speed would trouble ol Bernard and would counter from the outside to win a more clean exciting victory!

Holyfield UD - Evander beats any post prison Tyson and would not so much win as convinsing as the 1st fight but would always have enough to know what to do against Tsyon!
MarzB
Nigel Benn vs. James Toney in England

I used to love how James would call out Nigel and Chris Eubank. Frankly I think the fight goes to Benn who beats Toney by outworking a mentally UNDISCIPLINED weight drained young Toney. James has his moments where he staggers Benn but doesn't have the energy/stamina to follow through. Afterwards he complains that he was robbed and "FUCK THE BRITS, I HATE the FOOD here in London".

Mike Tyson vs. Ike Ibeauchi(sp?) - Wow, what a barn burner EARLY. Tyson gets the decision because of an early knockdown but his stamina fades late and the fight turns into a hugging match.

Lennox Lewis vs. John Ruiz - Lewis 115-113. Boring fight but this fight intrigues me personally because Ruiz's style is so ugly that it lulls opponents and I can see Lennox becoming very listless during this fight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 30 2009, 12:40 PM) *
Nigel Benn vs. James Toney in England

I used to love how James would call out Nigel and Chris Eubank. Frankly I think the fight goes to Benn who beats Toney by outworking a mentally UNDISCIPLINED weight drained young Toney. James has his moments where he staggers Benn but doesn't have the energy/stamina to follow through. Afterwards he complains that he was robbed and "FUCK THE BRITS, I HATE the FOOD here in London".

i always hated it that those guys overseas fought each other but we never got to see them early against the best from here... one of my favorite fights was nigel benn vs. michael watson 1.. i remember watching that on abc wide world of sports and actually taped it but the tape got messed up.. that was a barn burner with nigel benn going out throwing all he had ala george foreman vs. ali and punching himself out... he made that a great fight in defeat.. i was a fan of nigels for the rest of his career watching him lose...
JLUVBABY
aaron pryor vs. sugar ray leonard is a fight that never got made... pryor beat hearns in the amatures and would have been all leonard could handle as well... none of those guys wanted to or gave pryor a chance...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 31 2009, 05:07 PM) *
aaron pryor vs. sugar ray leonard is a fight that never got made... pryor beat hearns in the amatures and would have been all leonard could handle as well... none of those guys wanted to or gave pryor a chance...

That's crazy you just posted this one because I was coming in to post Pryor vs Leonard..Pryor was the Paul Williams of today..None of the elites want to fight him..In my opinion Pryor would have beaten him..Pryor was a beast!!

Why would anyone want an 41 year old Holyfield vs. Roy Jones..How about a 35 year old Holyfield vs. Roy at heavyweight??Jaranda did you just assume it'd be an old Holyfield or what?

Hearns and Pryor in the amateurs
Romulus9
Oh how I wish we could have seen Pryor-Leonard....
Al Hata
Tyson/Bowe- I would have taken Bowe by late stoppage after being buzzed a few times early on.

Bowe/Lewis- Cheering for Bowe, but Lewis would win.

Hopkins/Toney- Amazing fight.

Mayweather/Mosley- I like Floyd by SD.

Jones Jr./Trinidad before Bhop- Jones Jr. by KO.

Jones Jr. vs. Tyson- Would have loved to see this fight made after Jones Jr. beat Ruiz.

Tarver vs. Toney - Just for the pre fight press conferences .
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 31 2009, 05:13 PM) *
That's crazy you just posted this one because I was coming in to post Pryor vs Leonard..Pryor was the Paul Williams of today..None of the elites want to fight him..In my opinion Pryor would have beaten him..Pryor was a beast!!

Why would anyone want an 41 year old Holyfield vs. Roy Jones..How about a 35 year old Holyfield vs. Roy at heavyweight??Jaranda did you just assume it'd be an old Holyfield or what?

great minds think alike blaze... its funny how history looks at those guys but history on paper never shows the full story... pryor salavated for that fight as if he knew he could beat leonard... they never gave him a shot... hearns knew what the deal was not saying pryorr beats him as a pro... pryor was a beast and probably the best 140 lber. ever...or one of the best ever but he gets my vote... either him or jc chavez.. i am blessed to have seen both guys in their prime and they would have made a great great fight had their primes parralled one another...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 31 2009, 10:07 PM) *

Considering they were never really near each other weight wise & Pryor did not venture up in weight I don't see how Pryor was not given a chance. If you want to fight the big boys & cash cows then step up to their division don't hang out a couple below them.

Leonard was too fast & too skilled for Pryor who was a classic "power boxer" (god I hate that term). Leonard by dominant decision or late round stoppage.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 31 2009, 08:19 PM) *
great minds think alike blaze... its funny how history looks at those guys but history on paper never shows the full story... pryor salavated for that fight as if he knew he could beat leonard... they never gave him a shot... hearns knew what the deal was not saying pryorr beats him as a pro... pryor was a beast and probably the best 140 lber. ever...or one of the best ever but he gets my vote... either him or jc chavez.. i am blessed to have seen both guys in their prime and they would have made a great great fight had their primes parralled one another...

In my opinion,Pryor is the best 140 lber ever like you said..I'd put him above JC Chavez..

I think Leonard wanted no peice of Pryor..
MarzB
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 31 2009, 11:34 PM) *
Considering they were never really near each other weight wise & Pryor did not venture up in weight I don't see how Pryor was not given a chance. If you want to fight the big boys & cash cows then step up to their division don't hang out a couple below them.

Leonard was too fast & too skilled for Pryor who was a classic "power boxer" (god I hate that term). Leonard by dominant decision or late round stoppage.

Spoken from someone that doesn't KNOW which isn't surprising. Ok, Pryor fought at 140 while Leonard fought at 147. Not much of a weight class jump. Secondly, Pryor had tremendous boxing skills when he NEEDED to go to them. The HBO Legendary Fights presentation on his fight with Arguello demonstrated that.

Lastly, Aaron was a sparring partner of Ray's and was fired because he was giving it to Ray.

Bottom line, you're too young to even have been around during the time this occurred (didn't I hear you were 29?? That makes you BARELY born, in your infantcy when all this was occurring ) so don't speak on what you don't know.

Ray gives Pryor tremendous props and while he doesn't admit to ducking him (who does), Pryor called him out multiple times in the boxing trades at the time and invaded a press conference of his a'la Tarver/Jones defeating Ruiz..
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 30 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Lennox would have beaten the mentally defeated Bowe..

Ike would have beat Trinidad..

Michael Moorer beats Williams..

Floyd beats Shane...

I would have taken Bowe at that time. lennox wasnt Lennox at that time. Once he got with Manny, his style was perfected. I think Bowe was in his prime before Lewis was. I think Lewis blossomed after 32. Whereas Bowe was a beast in his mid 20's. Prime vs Prime, I'd pick Lewis to stop Bowe. Bowe still got hit alot in his prime. You dont want to get hit by Lewis...
MarzB
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 31 2009, 10:54 AM) *
i always hated it that those guys overseas fought each other but we never got to see them early against the best from here... one of my favorite fights was nigel benn vs. michael watson 1.. i remember watching that on abc wide world of sports and actually taped it but the tape got messed up.. that was a barn burner with nigel benn going out throwing all he had ala george foreman vs. ali and punching himself out... he made that a great fight in defeat.. i was a fan of nigels for the rest of his career watching him lose...

Man at that time those Brits were some tough SOBs. Props for mentioning this fight because I completely forgot about it. Add Lloyd Honneghun (sp?) and Chris Eubank to that era of of Brit boxers that were some my first sentence.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (MarzB @ May 31 2009, 11:45 PM) *
Spoken from someone that doesn't KNOW which isn't surprising. Ok, Pryor fought at 140 while Leonard fought at 147. Not much of a weight class jump. Secondly, Pryor had tremendous boxing skills when he NEEDED to go to them. The HBO Legendary Fights presentation on his fight with Arguello demonstrated that.

Lastly, Aaron was a sparring partner of Ray's and was fired because he was giving it to Ray.
Bottom line, you're too young to even have been around during the time this occurred (didn't I hear you were 29?? That makes you BARELY born, in your infantcy when all this was occurring ) so don't speak on what you don't know.

Ray gives Pryor tremendous props and while he doesn't admit to ducking him (who does), Pryor called him out multiple times in the boxing trades at the time and invaded a press conference of his a'la Tarver/Jones defeating Ruiz..

I remember hearing this as well..Pryor gave Ray the business and Ray didn't want him around anymore..Ray was not sure about himself in a real fight with Pryor..It's is hard to say that Ray ducked anyone but I do believe he ducked Pryor..Pryor would of came up to 147 to meet Ray..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MarzB @ Jun 1 2009, 05:45 AM) *

By the time Pryor was done at 140 Leonard was already out of that division as was Hearns & Duran campaigning at 154. If he wanted the big boys at 147-154 then why did he not have any fights until his addiction forced him to make a comeback?

Sparring is very different to prizefighting as I am sure you know. Just because someone looks great in sparring another fighter that does not automatically translate to then beating that person in a real fight. If he was fired for "giving" it to Ray then he was not doing the job he was paid to do which as a sparring partner is to work with the “boss” not try & beat them down.

I have never said Pryor was not skilled I said that Leonard was a better boxer & had more power which is my opinion that I stand by.

It does not matter if I was an embryo or 50 years old at the time this went down. Age has nothing to do with opinion. As for Ray giving Hawk tremendous props why wouldn’t he? Hawk was a dominant fighter who dominated his division.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jun 1 2009, 05:12 AM) *
Pryor would of came up to 147 to meet Ray..

But he did not & made no attempt to do so to fight any of the top guys at welter at that time. Surely you know Jonny that just because some one is "giving" it to someone else in sparring that does not translate that will occour in the ring.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 1 2009, 01:05 AM) *
But he did not & made no attempt to do so to fight any of the top guys at welter at that time. Surely you know Jonny that just because some one is "giving" it to someone else in sparring that does not translate that will occour in the ring.

Yeah I know man..It does make me really wish the fight happened so we could of seen what would have really happened though ya know??Pryor would have went to 147 just for Leonard or Hearns(as I remember hearing)..
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 31 2009, 10:13 PM) *

I assume it's the same 41 year old Holyfield that fought Toney, fighting Jones, who won the heavyweight title that same year in 03'! only time both have fought at the same division at the same time really! but if you wanna go by a 35 year old Holyfield then you got a completely different fight!

thehype
Kind of surprised no one has mentioned this one yet, but...

Roy Jones Jr. vs. Gerald McClellan - In my opinion, McClellan would have checked that chin within six rounds.

Also, I'm glad someone (I believe it was jluv) mentioned Aaron Pryor vs. Sugar Ray Leonard. I truly believe that's a fight that Leonard wanted no part of...not to say that he thought he would lose, but I think he knew that the risk far outweighed the reward. In my opinion, Pryor would have beat him.

A few others (forgive me if some have already been mentioned)...

Tszyu vs. De La Hoya - Tszyu by Decision (in 96, De La Hoya should have fought him after Chavez)
Trinidad vs. Norris - Trinidad KO3 (Would have been fireworks while it lasted)
Margarito vs. Mayorga - Margarito TKO7 (Should have fought in 2003)
Whitaker vs. De La Hoya II - Whitaker by Decision
Corrales vs. Castillo III - Corrales TKO10 (Castillo quits on his stool)
Barrios vs. Freitas II - Barrios TKO11
Hagler vs. Leonard II - Hagler by Decision
Toney vs Jirov II - Toney TKO8
Brewster vs. Liakhovich II - Brewster TKO10
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 1 2009, 11:33 AM) *
Kind of surprised no one has mentioned this one yet, but...

Roy Jones Jr. vs. Gerald McClellan - In my opinion, McClellan would have checked that chin within six rounds.

Also, I'm glad someone (I believe it was jluv) mentioned Aaron Pryor vs. Sugar Ray Leonard. I truly believe that's a fight that Leonard wanted no part of...not to say that he thought he would lose, but I think he knew that the risk far outweighed the reward. In my opinion, Pryor would have beat him.

A few others (forgive me if some have already been mentioned)...

Tszyu vs. De La Hoya - Tszyu by Decision (in 96, De La Hoya should have fought him after Chavez)
Trinidad vs. Norris - Trinidad KO3 (Would have been fireworks while it lasted)
Margarito vs. Mayorga - Margarito TKO7 (Should have fought in 2003)
Whitaker vs. De La Hoya II - Whitaker by Decision
Corrales vs. Castillo III - Corrales TKO10 (Castillo quits on his stool)
Barrios vs. Freitas II - Barrios TKO11
Hagler vs. Leonard II - Hagler by Decision
Toney vs Jirov II - Toney TKO8
Brewster vs. Liakhovich II - Brewster TKO10

Jones-McClellan- Jones by decision. Gerald was not as polished and seemed crude in there. Roy would have probably outboxed him. Now if G-Man did hit him with his right flush,would have been lights out for Roy. I am actually glad this fight never happened.

Tszyu-ODLH- That would have been a fantastic fight. Toss up in my book.

Trinidad-Norris-Norris would have KO'd him real early, unless Tito got lucky with a big shot. Norris could have kept it on the outside and embarrassed him too. Just look what Oscar did by outboxing him, now imagine what Norris would have done.

Margarito-Mayorga- Margarito TKO late.

Whitaker-ODLH-Another controversial decision for Oscar with Pernell not letting his hands go enough.

Castillo-Corrales III- Castillo by late stoppage.

Barrios-Freitas II-Toss up.

Hagler-Leonard II- Leonard by close decision.

Toney-Jirov II- As long as Toney came in shape, he would stop Jirov late.

Brewster-Liakhovich II- Brewster by late TKO.

As far as the Leonard-Pryor debate. I seriously doubt Sugar was scared of him regardless of sparring session or what not. Just look at the dangerous top fighters Ray fought, I doubt he ducked him out of fear. Seeing lots of Leonard fights, and some of Pryors, Leonard would have beat him too.
thehype
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 1 2009, 01:54 PM) *
As far as the Leonard-Pryor debate. I seriously doubt Sugar was scared of him regardless of sparring session or what not. Just look at the dangerous top fighters Ray fought, I doubt he ducked him out of fear. Seeing lots of Leonard fights, and some of Pryors, Leonard would have beat him too.

I seriously never said that he was scared of him...I just don't think he thought that the reward was big enough to take the risk since Pryor wasn't as big of a name at the time. Basically, he pulled a Mayweather..."Who's Aaron Pryor?"

Seeing LOTS of Leonard fights and LOTS of Pryor fights (not just "some"), I definitely think he would have beat him on points. Leonard would have been too defensive, thus allowing Pryor's non-stop volume punching to win him the majority of the close rounds. Kind of similar to what I think would happen if Mayweather and Williams ever fight.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 1 2009, 03:23 PM) *
I seriously never said that he was scared of him...I just don't think he thought that the reward was big enough to take the risk since Pryor wasn't as big of a name at the time. Basically, he pulled a Mayweather..."Who's Aaron Pryor?"

Seeing LOTS of Leonard fights and LOTS of Pryor fights (not just "some"), I definitely think he would have beat him on points. Leonard would have been too defensive, thus allowing Pryor's non-stop volume punching to win him the majority of the close rounds. Kind of similar to what I think would happen if Mayweather and Williams ever fight.

Was not implying you said he was scared of him, just stating MY opinion. You are probably right about why he did not fight him though.

What big fights at welterweight did he have to lead you to believe he would have beaten Ray? Practically his whole career was fought at 140. And Leonards resume is better than the Hawks IMO, and I am going off there career fights. Though I only saw SOME of Pryors fights, it pretty apparent Ray fought the bigger overall better fighters, right? I mean why didn't the Hawk fight Duran or Hearns? And in 1987 as Leonard is beating the most dominant middleweight in the world, Pryor is getting stopped by WHO at welterweight?

Seriously, going off the Arguello fights that I seen alot, I just can not see him beating Ray. But you seen MORE of his fights, so I respect your opinion no doubt. It's impossible to debate you anyway, you are never wrong and you will end up writing a freaking thesis to prove your point. I will bet you were that kid in school that wrote long ass papers that had nothing substantial in them, just a bunch of BS. laugh.gif

Just messing with ya.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 1 2009, 08:48 PM) *
It's impossible to debate you anyway, you are never wrong and you will end up writing a freaking thesis to prove your point. I will bet you were that kid in school that wrote long ass papers that had nothing substantial in them, just a bunch of BS. laugh.gif

You don't get it do you? You just signed your own death warrant son. Nothing can be done to stop it now but Hype may call off the dogs if you write some quality members only articles for Boxingtalk, OK.
King Eugene
I think I might be the only one but I wanted to see Jones Jr. vs. Holyfield before and after the Jones-Ruiz fight. I think Jones would have decisioned him.

Johnny say what you want...if Toney could do it, Jones would have beat him too....AT THAT TIME!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 1 2009, 08:39 PM) *
I think I might be the only one but I wanted to see Jones Jr. vs. Holyfield before and after the Jones-Ruiz fight. I think Jones would have decisioned him.

Johnny say what you want...if Toney could do it, Jones would have beat him too....AT THAT TIME!

Nah...Toney is a special fighter. Jones would have went down kind of like Seldon did against Tyson. laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 1 2009, 08:43 PM) *
Nah...Toney is a special fighter. Jones would have went down kind of like Seldon did against Tyson. laugh.gif

Shittin me!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 1 2009, 08:45 PM) *
Shittin me!

Of course dude. Roy would have embarrassed Evander, 12-0 in rounds. Evander would have had to land a lucky shot and get Roy out of there if he was to win.
STEVENSKI
Lil you started on those members only articles yet? Better start punchin the keyboard before the goon squad starts punchin you.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 1 2009, 09:04 PM) *
Lil you started on those members only articles yet? Better start punchin the keyboard before the goon squad starts punchin you.

hahahahahahahahahaha!!! You fn crack me up.

BTW, Hype PM me. He told me I was FIGHTHYPES P4P number 1 poster, and he told me I hit the nail on the head with that post of mine. laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
#1 poser or poster? maybe you can do some interviews under B Artest for another site? Just make up what you like & you will get PAID!!!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 1 2009, 09:22 PM) *
#1 poser or poster? maybe you can do some interviews under B Artest for another site? Just make up what you like & you will get PAID!!!

OUCH!!! Damn...why you gotta be so mean and always hurt my feelings?
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 1 2009, 08:54 PM) *
Of course dude. Roy would have embarrassed Evander, 12-0 in rounds. Evander would have had to land a lucky shot and get Roy out of there if he was to win.

At that time he would have...in his prime it would have been a different story.

Quit with the sarcasm! If Toney can do it...Roy can do it and make it look 10 times better.
thehype
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 1 2009, 03:48 PM) *
Was not implying you said he was scared of him, just stating MY opinion. You are probably right about why he did not fight him though.

What big fights at welterweight did he have to lead you to believe he would have beaten Ray? Practically his whole career was fought at 140. And Leonards resume is better than the Hawks IMO, and I am going off there career fights. Though I only saw SOME of Pryors fights, it pretty apparent Ray fought the bigger overall better fighters, right? I mean why didn't the Hawk fight Duran or Hearns? And in 1987 as Leonard is beating the most dominant middleweight in the world, Pryor is getting stopped by WHO at welterweight?

What makes you think I need to see him fight as a welterweight in order to judge his abilities inside the ring? In my opinion, he probably would have weighed around 145-147 for that fight. Ray would have been heavier, but not so big where it would have mattered. I don't think resumes have anything to do with it as Pryor fought in a division that had very few big names to begin with. If memory serves me correctly, Pryor was calling out Leonard during late 1980 and early 1981...AFTER Leonard's fights with Duran and BEFORE his fights with Hearns and Hagler. Personally, I think he'd win simply because he was relentless and could punch like a motherfucker. 39 wins with 35 knockouts...that's no walk in the park for anyone standing across the ring from him, including Leonard, who Pryor was already familiar with. Why didn't fight Duran or Hearns? No clue, but I would have loved to see those fights as well. But we're not talking about Duran or Hearns...we're talking about Leonard, a guy he DEFINITELY called out on several occassions. If you're imply that he couldn't have beat Leonard simply because he didn't fight Duran or Hearns, that's a pretty weak argument. As for the cheap shot regarding what was going on in 1987, 1) I don't think Leonard beat Hagler and 2) Pryor was hitting the drugs hardcore by that time. In fact, I think he might have been high on crack during THAT fight...by 1987, Pryor's career was definitely at end. Low blow bro, but whatever.

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 1 2009, 03:48 PM) *
Seriously, going off the Arguello fights that I seen alot, I just can not see him beating Ray. But you seen MORE of his fights, so I respect your opinion no doubt. It's impossible to debate you anyway, you are never wrong and you will end up writing a freaking thesis to prove your point. I will bet you were that kid in school that wrote long ass papers that had nothing substantial in them, just a bunch of BS. laugh.gif

Just messing with ya.

Are you sure you were just messing?

Oh, I'm wrong...I'm wrong a lot...I'm just never wrong when it comes to debating with you.

laugh.gif

For the record, every paper I wrote in school had substance...if they didn't, I wouldn't have been able to hone my skills to come wax your ass on the boards on a weekly basis.

laugh.gif

Just messing with ya.

Anyway, to each their own, but just the fact that we've talked this much about Pryor vs. Leonard is all the more reason why it's a fight that never materialized, but I wish it would have.

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.