Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did Barrera get screwed against Khan?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
I did not see this fight, so can someone vouch for the decision to stop this fight for the clash of heads after the fifth round when it occurred in the first round? Should the fight have been ruled NC? Should they fight again?
Fitz
Maybe it should have been ruled a NC, but in the end I think the guy that was going to win got the win anyways. They could fight again, but I think the beating Barrera took would probably occur again in a rematch. I wasn't particularly keen on a rematch.
MarzB
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 30 2009, 11:39 AM) *
Maybe it should have been ruled a NC, but in the end I think the guy that was going to win got the win anyways. They could fight again, but I think the beating Barrera took would probably occur again in a rematch. I wasn't particularly keen on a rematch.

AGreed totally. When I saw this story across my RSS feed I was saying "HUH? Barrera made some claim in THAT fight". Did you see Pacquiao vs. Barrera one where Barrera was bulldozed basically? Well this fight was pretty much the equivalent of that only shorter duration.

Barrera I see is unfortunately in stage one of "punch drunkedness" to not only believe this but to actually go through the formaility of a protest (when has a protest honestly ever succeeded if it didn't involved flunking a drug test??). The fight would have been stopped had it been allowed to continue. He did NOTHING that fight.

I believe it's on youtube, check it out for yourself.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 30 2009, 12:39 PM) *

Sums it all up.

They should have stopped it earlier but No way Barrera was going to win that fight.
The CEO
Barrera got screwed 100%.

and you know who the ref was, right?....good, ole Dave Parris......need I say more?
kidbazooka1
The fight should have been ruled a NC but just like everyone stated Barrera was losing and was gonna lose a decision but Khan's chin could have betrayed him at any moment during the fight so Barrera did have a chance.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ May 30 2009, 07:25 PM) *
Barrera got screwed 100%.

and you know who the ref was, right?....good, ole Dave Parris......need I say more?

Fuckin Parris eh. I need not know any more than that to be assured the fix was in.
JLUVBABY
oh lawd please dont let there be a rematch...lol... khan is a bad match up for berrera at this point and not that good of a fight....l.
Big Slim Sweet
Barrera got screwed completely. It should have been a NC. Fight should have been called off in the first round. The 'beating' Khan administered came after Barrera was half blind and gushing blood out of his temple. We have NO idea what that fight would have looked like without the butt.

Shame on Amir Khan and Freddie Roach for acting like they got some big meaningful victory. That win meant jack shit.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Big Slim @ Jun 1 2009, 05:46 PM) *
Barrera got screwed completely. It should have been a NC. Fight should have been called off in the first round. The 'beating' Khan administered came after Barrera was half blind and gushing blood out of his temple. We have NO idea what that fight would have looked like without the butt.

Shame on Amir Khan and Freddie Roach for acting like they got some big meaningful victory. That win meant jack shit.

I agree but now khan really believes he's the real deal after that BS TD win. But it's OK it will only be a matter time before he gets layed out cold again.
Fitz
I know I had this disagreement before with Slim, but I saw enough in the first couple of minutes to realise the fight would have played out the same. The first couple of minutes looked the same as the rest of the fight. From the opening bell I saw Khan being quicker and MUCH bigger and imposing himself. Sure Barrera has a punchers chance, but I don't like to base fights on the probability of just that 'one' shot.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 1 2009, 05:36 PM) *
I know I had this disagreement before with Slim, but I saw enough in the first couple of minutes to realise the fight would have played out the same. The first couple of minutes looked the same as the rest of the fight. From the opening bell I saw Khan being quicker and MUCH bigger and imposing himself. Sure Barrera has a punchers chance, but I don't like to base fights on the probability of just that 'one' shot.

Come on Fitz, lots of things could have factored into that fight not playing out the same way as the first two minutes. What if Khan had tired midway through? What if Barrera hurt him with a body shot causing him to change his aggressive approach and go into retreat? There is just no reasonable way you can say you saw all you needed to know what would have happened the rest of the way without the cut.

Barrera by all accounts is one of the smartest fighters to ever lace em up. He knew going into that fight that he was the underdog, the smaller and slower man. He knew he wasn't going to come to England and outpoint Amir Khan. I'm sure he had a game plan for that fight that didn't include dominating the first two minutes of the first round. Now, I'm not saying for sure he would have successfully implemented that plan, but he never got a fair shake to even try.
Fitz
I don't know, to me Barrera looked like he could only win if he was to land a shot that would set everything up. Just didn't look like he was going to outbox him, break him down or anything. Just more that one shot.
To me I am not interested in seeing a fight when you are banking on one fighter to just land the one shot. I am a Barrera fan, and before the fight I thought it was a pick 'em. But after the fight, I just don't really want to see a rematch. To me it looked like Khan could beat Barrera a number of ways, Barrera seems like he can only beat Khan one way and that's to land the one shot to hurt him. It just doesn't seem like an interesting fight after seeing the first.
Big Slim Sweet
Oh I'm not saying I particularly want a rematch either. I just don't think Khan deserves credit for this big win like he and Roach have been claiming, and I don't think a guy who's given as much to the sport as MAB has deserves a crap TKO loss on his record like that.

But Barrera is definitely past it. I'd rather see Khan get beat by someone with a future.
Fitz
I agree, should have been a NC. But I don't think Barrera got robbed. In the end, I just think a NC was the best result he could have got, and it's not something that fighters aim for.
TMONEYTX
Khan should of been able to stop or atleast drop MAB with all that bad cut and blood flowing in the face of MAB. And also MAB was on the ropes alot. Khan gots a weak chin but would MAB be able to hurt Khan? MAB looked real small in there.
ROLL DEEP
I agree with Fitz.

You could say anything COULD have happened.

You could say that Khan would've tired, started boxing with his hands down, get caught with another shot (a la Pemberton), gone over on his ankle, blah, blah, blah,

BUT, the only thing that DID happen was that Khan got the better of Barrera.

I think the fight would've played out the same as the 1st round if there was a re-match.

I still dont think Khan is the real deal. Beating an old MAB doesn't do that. Khan is good, but not the next GOAT.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Jun 2 2009, 04:53 PM) *
BUT, the only thing that DID happen was that Khan got the better of Barrera.

For two freakin' minutes!

I recall in their first fight Cintron getting the better of Margarito for three rounds.

I don't want to see a rematch either and I agree at this stage of their careers Khan should beat Barrera, but I'm sorry, that last fight should not have gone down as a W for Amir. There is no two ways about that. Barrera got screwed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.