Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some of the worst decisions made in boxing.
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
King Eugene
I think this will be a pretty interesting topic and I want to see what some of you guys opinions are. I'll start off with a few though.

Mike Tyson changing his team/using the corner personnel he chose during the Buster Douglas fight. Am I the only one who remembers them putting a plastic glove filled with water over his eye to stop the swelling?

Mike Tyson and Don King

Roy Jones dropping weight so fast.

ODLH fighting Pac at 147

Evander Holyfield fighting with a bum shoulder

Sugar Ray Leonard and Ali extending their careers too long.

Giving fighters these super large sums of money for fights.

thats just to name a few...I'm sure some of you older guys and more knowledgeable guys can give us more.
moscow bear
Zab signing the contract to fight Tszyu
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 3 2009, 02:56 AM) *
I think this will be a pretty interesting topic and I want to see what some of you guys opinions are. I'll start off with a few though.

Mike Tyson changing his team/using the corner personnel he chose during the Buster Douglas fight. Am I the only one who remembers them putting a plastic glove filled with water over his eye to stop the swelling?

Mike Tyson and Don King

Roy Jones dropping weight so fast.

ODLH fighting Pac at 147

Evander Holyfield fighting with a bum shoulder

Sugar Ray Leonard and Ali extending their careers too long.

Giving fighters these super large sums of money for fights.

thats just to name a few...I'm sure some of you older guys and more knowledgeable guys can give us more.

Gotta agree with all but the money one..I think there is no amount of money you could give someone to risk their life..

Chris Byrd and Tarver dropping weight too fast and getting whooped bad because of it..

The ref not jumping in and stopping the fight when Emile Griffith hit Benny Paret about 20 times after he was unconcious on the ropes..

Ali not keeping Archie Moore as his trainer..

Riddick Bowe fighting Holyfield 3 times..Bowe is paying for those fights everyday..I feel really bad for him..

Any elite boxer who is willing to take a fight on a few days or a weeks notice,whether they win or not..If ya don't know you're fighting 3 weeks atleast in advance,it's not the best decision..It's a gutsy thing to do but could add a L to your record if you're not fully prepared..

There is a few..

blackbelt2003
Leonard coming back ONE more time and getting spanked by Norris.

And then coming back just ONCE more and getting spanked by Camacho.

Black
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jun 3 2009, 05:49 AM) *
Leonard coming back ONE more time and getting spanked by Norris.

And then coming back just ONCE more and getting spanked by Camacho.

Black

True. Norris was absolutely unstoppable in that fight, but Ray fought like a true champion and gave it is all. I think Ray was hoping to expose Norris' chin. Now the fight with Camacho was completely embarrassing and unnecessary.
JaRaNDa
- Not having +4 belts in each division, bring it back to the one title!

- Tyson firing Rooney

- Jones moving back to LHW

- DLH getting his last fights with Mayweather-Pac! (mho really stalled n fucked up 135-147)

- Mundine fighting Soliman for a third time and not fighting in America which he should have been doing 4-5 years ago!

- Catchweight (money) fights! If two fighters can't make the same weight without having one fighter, fighting out of his comfort zone or without any additional money or terms..maybe that fight should'nt be happening!?
Fighters agreeing to fight at an unoffical weight normally means a fighter is running out of ideas, chasing money, wants his opponent to have a disadvantage or has doubts himself. By having catchweights it generally means one fighter (big or small) risks having a disadvantage and will not be able to perform at their full potential!

- Fighters getting paid too much

- Morales fastfowarding the tail end of his career by moving upto 135 to then moving back down to 130 his next fight!

- Gatti trying to box against Mayweather

- Harris agreeing to fight Maussa

- Forrest going toe-to-toe against Mayorga in the 1st fight
BigG
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 3 2009, 10:59 AM) *
True. Norris was absolutely unstoppable in that fight, but Ray fought like a true champion and gave it is all. I think Ray was hoping to expose Norris' chin. Now the fight with Camacho was completely embarrassing and unnecessary.

Ray looked 60 in the Camacho fight
salvador
Corrales moving up two weight classes and picking Clottey as his first fight at ww.

Vivian Harris turning down $750K to fight Hatton.

Rahman turns down megadeal with HBO after first Lewis fight.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 3 2009, 08:56 AM) *

It was a condom! What a buncha bums he had in that corner. Calling them amateur would be a disservice as amateur implies some degree of knowledge & skill.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 3 2009, 11:51 AM) *
Mayweather Sr cumming inside Mrs Mayweather rather than letting it hit the back of her throat.

That was evern worse than this

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
When Mayweather Jr. was a year old, his mother's brother pulled a gun on Mayweather Sr. "I told him, 'If you're going to kill him, you're going to kill me too,'" says Mayweather Sr., who was holding his son. "That's all I got in the world." The uncle then shot Floyd Sr. in the leg.

STEVENSKI
Here are some of the worst decisions I have seen in boxing.

#1 Jeff Fenech vs Azumah Nelson draw. Without doubt the worst decision I have ever seen in professional sports. Pure Don King trickery & bribery to rob a man of his 4th world title in 4 weight classes whilst undefeated. Fenech is often overlooked as a ATG but he most certainly is IMO. When his hands held up he was a devestating fighter & it is my firm belief that this bad decision destroyed his passion & faith in the sport. I remember seeing Jeff cry on the news after the fight & I still remember how I felt. I felt cheated & robbed so I can only imaging how he felt. He had immortality stolen from him. At the time he would have been the only undefeated 4 division champion in the history of boxing.

Mike Tyson signing to fight Lewis. This was a fight that "had" to be made but should not have. Anyone with a inkling of intelligence knew that this would be a one sided beating & as much as I dump shit on Mike he went out on his shield like a warrior. Sure they made big money & Lewis got the "Tyson would have killed you" crap off his back but it is the type of fight that leaves a sour taste in a real fight fans mouth.

Danny Green getting to 3-4% body fat for his fight with Mundine. Another ridiculoius decision mad eby a fighter. Sure Green looked impressive & more ripped than any fighter I have ever seen but I think that getting that ripped took a lot out of him & it showed late in that fight. Bad move Dan.

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jun 3 2009, 04:45 AM) *
Gotta agree with all but the money one..I think there is no amount of money you could give someone to risk their life..

Chris Byrd and Tarver dropping weight too fast and getting whooped bad because of it..

The ref not jumping in and stopping the fight when Emile Griffith hit Benny Paret about 20 times after he was unconcious on the ropes..

Ali not keeping Archie Moore as his trainer..

Riddick Bowe fighting Holyfield 3 times..Bowe is paying for those fights everyday..I feel really bad for him..

Any elite boxer who is willing to take a fight on a few days or a weeks notice,whether they win or not..If ya don't know you're fighting 3 weeks atleast in advance,it's not the best decision..It's a gutsy thing to do but could add a L to your record if you're not fully prepared..

There is a few..

Really? I didn't know Moore trained Ali. At what point in Ali's career did he train him and why was it a bad move to let him go?

Romulus9
Tyson's decision making after the Michael Spinks fight. All of it. That includes getting rid of Kevin Rooney and Bill Cayton, latching onto Don King, Jay Bright, the two overpaid "managers" who really didn't do anything but leech, and the rest of the idiots, marrying Robin Givens, and the list goes on and on.

Foreman-Briggs. Shameful decision. Absolutely awful.

Anyone hiring Buddy McGirt.

Jim Jeffries coming out of retirement to fight Jack Johnson, losing his undefeated record.

Ali-Holmes & Ali-Berbick.

I'm sure I'll think of others as the day wears on.
Keith
oscar and tito both thinking they were middleweights and moving up to get dismantled by hopkins.
Keith
and thinking of oscar and tito, oscars decision to absolutely run from tito the last 4 rounds. that fight changed oscars career. i dont think he ever really got over it.
thehype
Any fighter thinking they need an advisor to guide their career.
Mean Mister Mustard
I never understood DLH's thought process for the Trinidad fight. He was bouncing around too much already and then gives up the 4 rounds by not punching. Was he that tired that he thought that if he stopped moving he would get knocked out? Was it really his plan to give up the last 4 rounds because he thought he had won the other 8? Who else in the history of boxing has done that? Deliberately giving up 4 rounds, which is a lot, because they thought they won all the others?
Romulus9
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 3 2009, 11:54 AM) *
Any fighter thinking they need an advisor to guide their career.

Allan Green... Monte Barrett... Steve Forbes... Verno Phillips...

just to name a few.

I hope they all hire Buddy McGirt as their trainer, too.

And to answer an earlier question:

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jun 3 2009, 02:30 AM) *
There are many guys I can think of who I think were better in their prime..So Romulus you think that Roy is one of the best P4P ever(top 5-10)??

A prime Jones? Yes. Power, ridiculous speed, everything. I don't think there's much question. The argument is always about competition. That's not always easy to gauge when someone decimates EVERYONE he fights. He rarely lost a round, much less a fight, in his prime. Certainly, Ricky Frazier and Richard Hall aren't going into the hall any time soon, but look at the names that Jones just hammered senseless in his prime years, from 160-175. Virgil Hill, Reggie Johnson, James Toney, Merqui Sosa, Bernard Hopkins, Thomas Tate, Mike McCallum, Lou Del Valle, moved up to heavyweight and dominated a beltholder in John Ruiz, and took care of every other mandatory challenger with ease.

Absolutely he's in the top 5-10 PBP. Things get a little skewed thanks to the last two Tarver fights, the Johnson KO, the Calzaghe fight, but a prime Jones can't be denied.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 3 2009, 09:45 AM) *
Really? I didn't know Moore trained Ali. At what point in Ali's career did he train him and why was it a bad move to let him go?

Early in his career..How do you think Ali became good at mind games??Archie taught him all the tricks at messing with someone..Archie would do it in a more respectful way than what Ali did to Frazier..Look at Foreman in his comeback??He got in everyone's head but didn't do it in a disrespectful way..That was ALL Archie..

Ali didn't want to be disciplined and do what Archie told him to do..Ali was young..Archie wanted him to wash dishes and sweep floors but Ali thought he didn't need the discipline and wanted to do things his own way..They both wanted to be the boss..They remained cool with each other but not close..Archie would of made Ali a hard hitter if Ali stayed with him..Archie taught Sandy Saddler how to punch like he did..It was a real bad move for Ali to let him go..If Foreman had Archie throughout his whole career,he would have been even more deadly..Foreman didn't have Archie for the Ali fight and it would of helped a lot if he had him..

Crazy how things happened with Ali and Archie though..Archie trained him at one point and they had a fight later on..Archie looked real good for his age and everything in the first round..He slipped a lot of Ali's punches..It would of been sweet if Archie was younger for that fight..
The CEO
Let me go with something current....

David Haye goin' after a Klitschko.
blackbelt2003
Vic Darchinyan talking shit about Glen Donaire and then getting in with Nonito.

Black
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 3 2009, 11:20 AM) *
A prime Jones? Yes. Power, ridiculous speed, everything. I don't think there's much question. The argument is always about competition. That's not always easy to gauge when someone decimates EVERYONE he fights. He rarely lost a round, much less a fight, in his prime. Certainly, Ricky Frazier and Richard Hall aren't going into the hall any time soon, but look at the names that Jones just hammered senseless in his prime years, from 160-175. Virgil Hill, Reggie Johnson, James Toney, Merqui Sosa, Bernard Hopkins, Thomas Tate, Mike McCallum, Lou Del Valle, moved up to heavyweight and dominated a beltholder in John Ruiz, and took care of every other mandatory challenger with ease.

Absolutely he's in the top 5-10 PBP. Things get a little skewed thanks to the last two Tarver fights, the Johnson KO, the Calzaghe fight, but a prime Jones can't be denied.

McCallum moved up from jr. middleweight..Roy Jones was his second to last fight at light heavyweight..McCallum was 40 years old in that fight..That's really crazy he had one more fight with Toney before he retired too..
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jun 3 2009, 01:44 PM) *
Early in his career..How do you think Ali became good at mind games??Archie taught him all the tricks at messing with someone..Archie would do it in a more respectful way than what Ali did to Frazier..Look at Foreman in his comeback??He got in everyone's head but didn't do it in a disrespectful way..That was ALL Archie..

Ali didn't want to be disciplined and do what Archie told him to do..Ali was young..Archie wanted him to wash dishes and sweep floors but Ali thought he didn't need the discipline and wanted to do things his own way..They both wanted to be the boss..They remained cool with each other but not close..Archie would of made Ali a hard hitter if Ali stayed with him..Archie taught Sandy Saddler how to punch like he did..It was a real bad move for Ali to let him go..If Foreman had Archie throughout his whole career,he would have been even more deadly..Foreman didn't have Archie for the Ali fight and it would of helped a lot if he had him..

Crazy how things happened with Ali and Archie though..Archie trained him at one point and they had a fight later on..Archie looked real good for his age and everything in the first round..He slipped a lot of Ali's punches..It would of been sweet if Archie was younger for that fight..

Thanks for the info Johnny, very interesting stuff but I don't know if it this counts as one of the worst decisions ever made in boxing. I mean, Ali turned out to be one of the greatest boxers of all time. If he would have burned out early like Tyson maybe we could say he would have benefited from Moore's discipline.

On another note, I think you are our resident Moore expert.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 3 2009, 01:10 PM) *
Thanks for the info Johnny, very interesting stuff but I don't know if it this counts as one of the worst decisions ever made in boxing. I mean, Ali turned out to be one of the greatest boxers of all time. If he would have burned out early like Tyson maybe we could say he would have benefited from Moore's discipline.

On another note, I think you are our resident Moore expert.

That's a priviledge too!!What is there about Archie not to like??I'm also lucky that one of the trainers at my gym was able to train with Archie for alittle bit..He wasn't one of Archie's fighters but he got to spend time with him and learn some things from the best puncher P4P in boxing..

Well for Ali I think it was one of the worst decisions..Archie had more fights than Ali and fought till he was about 50 and he remained in decent condition after his career..Ali would of benefited from a hell of a lot more power and a better defense..Archie's cross arm defense was one of the few different defensive postures he used..He didn't stand in the cross arm defense,only when on the inside..He held his hands similar to Joe Louis,out of a semi-crouch with his front hand infront of his shoulder..Ali would be in better condition today IN MY OPINION if he stuck with Archie and not Dundee..What the fuck did Dundee teach Ali??ENOUGH SAID!!
JonnyBlaze
Forgot to mention this before..My guy in Vegas is cool with Mike McCallum and might sell McCallum's boxing career through his site..He is also good friends and partner's with Jeff Mayweather on a betting website..If he starts sellin McCallum's career,anyone he buys it can get a chance to talk to him..I'll keep ya guys updated on it..
iron_mike
I thought it was a balloon in the Douglas fight, but I heard later it WAS A FUCKING CONDOM....how does a corner not have an endswell or however you spell it????
provo
I say its gotta be Nate Campbell dropping his gloves ..LOL.. And getting .KTFO...

*using plaster to knock someone out and get caught..LOL
traced4040
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 3 2009, 02:56 AM) *

ODLH fighting Pac at 147

agree with everything except this one

pac couldnt fight any higher

and lets face it DLH was fighting for money

there was noone else for DLH to fight and make the most money

win or lose it didnt matter to DLH it as about the money and he made a mint
traced4040
mike tyson was a real tragedy

he did everything wrong

watching tyson (tobak film) made me feel even worse

he was bullied and it just goes to show that the toughest ppl are usually the most insecure

tyson had all the qualities to have been the best ever but he lost it after cuss (his father figure) died

tyson had power, speed and (not usually talked about) technique

without the guidance of cuss he still went on to become champ but eventually lost focus
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (traced4040 @ Jun 3 2009, 09:41 PM) *
mike tyson was a real tragedy

he did everything wrong

watching tyson (tobak film) made me feel even worse

he was bullied and it just goes to show that the toughest ppl are usually the most insecure

tyson had all the qualities to have been the best ever but he lost it after cuss (his father figure) died

tyson had power, speed and (not usually talked about) technique

without the guidance of cuss he still went on to become champ but eventually lost focus

How could he have been the best ever??
traced4040
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jun 4 2009, 01:18 AM) *
How could he have been the best ever??

just think that with the speed and pwoer he had, he could have been more dominant than he was

he lost to people not because of skill or talent but because of his attitude

instead he fell well short

50 wins with 44 knockouts

how many ppl have that strike rate, he really did have power, speed and technique

in the end he didnt truly great fighters when he was in his prime and lost to holyfield and lewis who he probably wouldhave beat when he first won his belt
thehype
QUOTE (traced4040 @ Jun 4 2009, 01:29 AM) *
just think that with the speed and pwoer he had, he could have been more dominant than he was

he lost to people not because of skill or talent but because of his attitude

instead he fell well short

50 wins with 44 knockouts

how many ppl have that strike rate, he really did have power, speed and technique

in the end he didnt truly great fighters when he was in his prime and lost to holyfield and lewis who he probably wouldhave beat when he first won his belt

Cosign...he probably could have been...it's a real shame that the death of Cus had such a powerful influence on him. When he lost that father figure, he just started to spiral downward.
Jack 1000
My List: But In No Particular Order

The Holyfield-Lewis I "draw"-Eugenia Williams Scorecard.

The WBC bringing back a proven failed system of Open Scoring.

The lack of unification matches in boxing to produce one world champion. (Not enough of them)

Too many PPV's-Overpriced PPV's

Shitty undercards that don't even qualify as average fights many times.

Fighters not taking as many risks to brawl as in the past.

Fighters acting like spoiled brats, dropping out of fights over trivial shit, instead of being willing to take on the very best opponents and champions to unify their division.

The loss of major world championship fights on commercial network TV.

HBO's commitment to long-term contracts with certain fights. ("We never met an Olympian we didn't like") instead of looking to just buy the best fights. (Although they are improving with better quality than in recent past.) Examples of Marquez-Diaz the classic war, very reminiscent of what HBO was years ago with fights that are now often PPV, and what Boxing After Dark used to be.

Any fighter who hires Buddy McGirt as a trainer- McGirt telling Gatti to try to out-box Mayweather.

Anything and everything the WBA has done to protect three of perhaps the worst heavyweight belt holders and former belt holders of Ruiz, Chegniev, and Valuev. All three should be banned from the sport, permanently.

The Petronelli brothers being too passive with Hagler in the Leonard fight.

Tyson firing Kevin Rooney.

The New Jersey Athletic Control Board being forced to oust Larry Hazzard. While I opposed some of his methods, such as consensus scoring, Larry did tons more good things than bad things for boxing. The firing was pure political bullshit.

Butterbean- Farces like this hurt our great sport. At least that is long in the past.

Fighters like Evander Holyfield and Roy Jones continuing to fight risking serious injury. Their retirement time is overdue, especially for Holyfield.

Jack
traced4040
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 4 2009, 01:37 AM) *
My List: But In No Particular Order

Too many PPV's-Overpriced PPV's

Jack

they should pay boxers less

this would result in a lower ppv price which would bring back fans and maybe attract new ones
JonnyBlaze
Jack brings up the Holyfield/Lewis fight..The first one should have been a win for Lennox but the second should have been a win for Holy..

Holy/Valuev was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen too..They robbed him of history,not just a belt..
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jun 4 2009, 02:58 AM) *
Jack brings up the Holyfield/Lewis fight..The first one should have been a win for Lennox but the second should have been a win for Holy..

Holy/Valuev was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen too..They robbed him of history,not just a belt..

I thought Lennox won them both...that might just be me though.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 4 2009, 09:40 AM) *

Not just you.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 4 2009, 03:40 AM) *

I thought so too.

JB, the first Lewis-Holyfield fight was so lop-sided there likely wouldn't have even been an immediate rematch had the judges not been on the payroll. Definitely one of the worst decisions in boxing, and also one of the most overtly corrupt IMO.

Whitaker-Chavez was another case.

Diego Corrales fighting Joshua Clottey to me is the most recent awful decision. So obviously a terrible move that you have to believe Gary Shaw was doing it on purpose to get back at Chico for trying to break his contract with him.
Romulus9
The stoppage in Chavez-Taylor I was bad. I know the argument about Meldrick answering or not answering but it's this simple:

2:58

The light in the corner was not only on, but Steele looked RIGHT AT IT. If there's 30 seconds left, stop it. With 2 seconds, you do nothing. By the time he backs away, Chavez takes a step and the fight is over. Absolutely awful.

What's amazing it that the call destroyed two careers: Taylor's and Steele's. Richard Steele used to get almost every high profile fight in Las Vegas but after Chavez-Taylor I and the stoppage of Tyson-Ruddock I in 1991, he was done. Very few big fights came his way after that. One of my favorite things about boxing in the 90s was hearing him introduced. "The referee for the main event of the evening is Richard Steele." (BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!). The boos were incredible.

An equally ridiculous stoppage came in a less widely known fight. Rocky Gannon vs. Dominick Carter on Tuesday Night Fights. Great 1 round fight and Laurence Cole stops it and to this day I don't know why. Gannon tripped over his own feet and fell into the corner, so Cole jumps in and stops it. Gannon went nuts. He also won the rematch. I've got that on DVD somewhere.

As far as bad decisions from the three blind mice at ringside:

Foreman-Briggs
Whitaker-Ramirez I
Whitaker-Chavez
Quartey-Forrest
Holmes-M. Spinks II
Pazienza-Herol Graham
Duran-Camacho I
de la Hoya-Trinidad
Jimmy Ellis-Floyd Patterson

It's a list that just goes on WAY too long...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 4 2009, 02:18 PM) *
One of my favorite things about boxing in the 90s was hearing him introduced. "The referee for the main event of the evening is Richard Steele." (BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!). The boos were incredible.

What was even better was the smirk he always made when he got they were booing.
Jack 1000
An equally ridiculous stoppage came in a less widely known fight. Rocky Gannon vs. Dominick Carter on Tuesday Night Fights. Great 1 round fight and Laurence Cole stops it and to this day I don't know why. Gannon tripped over his own feet and fell into the corner, so Cole jumps in and stops it. Gannon went nuts. He also won the rematch. I've got that on DVD somewhere.

Yea,

Texas ref Laurence Cole, who's Daddy "Dickie" is head commissioner. I still say that is a conflict of interest. But the Mercante's ref'ed Arther Sr. and Arther Jr. on the same cards in New York for many years as well. Cole did a Micheal Moorer fight against some journeymen and according to the opponent at the rules meeting, he asked Cole, "Now, you aren't gonna stop it too fast are you?" Cole said, "no." Moorer knocks him down once, the journeymen fighter gets up fine, and Cole stops it.

In recent years, he's let fights go a little longer.

The worst late stoppage was Alex-Garcia beating Bernard Benton to death in the 2nd round and the ref from Arizona (Roger Yanez) not only doesn't stop the thing, he's not even in camera range to see what's going on! With Benton upright but literally unconscious, Yanez appears to come in and issue an 8-count, but does stop it, only after about 35 head-snapping back power punches landed on Benton's skull. Perhaps the worst late stoppage in the last 20 years, and one of the worst of all time. That was a stomach turner.

Jack
JonnyBlaze
Holy did lose the first Lennox fight pretty bad..I'd say he atleast was down 4 points without going back and watching it again..
Romulus9
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 4 2009, 04:32 PM) *
Yea,

Texas ref Laurence Cole, who's Daddy "Dickie" is head commissioner. I still say that is a conflict of interest. But the Mercante's ref'ed Arther Sr. and Arther Jr. on the same cards in New York for many years as well. Cole did a Micheal Moorer fight against some journeymen and according to the opponent at the rules meeting, he asked Cole, "Now, you aren't gonna stop it too fast are you?" Cole said, "no." Moorer knocks him down once, the journeymen fighter gets up fine, and Cole stops it.

In recent years, he's let fights go a little longer.

The worst late stoppage was Alex-Garcia beating Bernard Benton to death in the 2nd round and the ref from Arizona (Roger Yanez) not only doesn't stop the thing, he's not even in camera range to see what's going on! With Benton upright but literally unconscious, Yanez appears to come in and issue an 8-count, but does stop it, only after about 35 head-snapping back power punches landed on Benton's skull. Perhaps the worst late stoppage in the last 20 years, and one of the worst of all time. That was a stomach turner.

Jack

Oh yeah. That was on Tuesday Night Fights as well, I believe. Absolutely sickening.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 4 2009, 03:40 AM) *

I was GENEROUS to Holyfield in the first fight and still had Lewis up, 116-112. The second fight you could make a case for being closer, but my card still came out the same way, 116-112 Lewis, Although in fight #2, a 115-113 swing to Lewis would be OK. A draw in fight#2 would not have been a second robbery, but pushing it. However unless Holyfield would have really dominated that rematch, Lewis was going to get any and all close rounds. NOBODY would have wanted a SECOND draw in that fight!

For fight#2, I can't see a Holyfield win.

Jack
King Eugene
QUOTE (traced4040 @ Jun 3 2009, 10:33 PM) *
agree with everything except this one

pac couldnt fight any higher

and lets face it DLH was fighting for money

there was noone else for DLH to fight and make the most money

win or lose it didnt matter to DLH it as about the money and he made a mint

DLH could have fought me and made that much money. It didn't matter who he fought, he was getting paid!
kingknockout
Oscar taking those late rounds off in the trinidad fight...like he was on a vacation in the islands somewhere lol

The Meldric Taylor/ Chavez fight(think i spelled his first name right) SMH

Jermaine taylor jumpin in the ring with heavy hitters in bernard and winky, they both broke my dude down mentally and psychically in those fights

same for Jeff lacy's career, too much muscle, tried to be a mini mike tyson, but failed horribly, one of my fav fighters at one point

the motorcycle incident with Chico, man did i love Chico and Vargas's fights.....my top two fav fighters at a point
cray.gif

Zab taking that Zu fight like someone earlier stated lol

Tyson tryna bang with hoyfield

Romulus9
Here's a pretty bad, stupid, awful, horrible decision that can't possibly work out well:

Former World Lightweight Champion Ken Buchanan Plans Comeback At Age 63!

by James Slater - In shocking news, it has been revealed by BBC 5 Live Sport that former world lightweight champion Ken Buchanan of Scotland is planning to make a return to the ring at the advanced age of 63. It gets worse; the man most fans know for his losing fight against the great Roberto Duran turns 64 next month!

Buchanan, who was world champion from 1970 until his ill-fated meeting with "Hands Of Stone" in June of 1972, has been speaking to the radio show 5 Live and he said he realises the comeback idea is "stupid," but that he needs the money. The long retired Hall of Famer also said he realises he will stand no chance at all of getting a proper boxing license at his current age, and that he is looking into coming back for some white-collar boxing as opposed to legal boxing.

"I would be the oldest professional world champion ever to make a comeback," Buchanan said. "It wouldn't be a legal fight, it would be white-collar boxing. I've got to do it, it's the only way I can make money."

Buchanan explained why fighting again is the only way he can earn himself sufficient money.

"I've got a broken back and shouldn't even be in a gym because I'm on pain killers for the rest of my life," Ken said. "The only way you can make that money is to make a comeback. I can't work, I could never get employed anywhere. I know it's stupid but it will work out okay. I'm in good nick, it's difficult to give it [boxing] up."

As stunning and unrealistic as this news and Buchanan's plans are, it could happen, unfortunately. Only last year we saw a 60-year-old Saoul Mamby back in the boxing ring (he lost). And the latest one-time great of the sport who is prepared to risk his health in the ring while at an advanced age says he has already been in touch with organisers of white-collar boxing.

"A lot of people will say I can't get a licence but I don't want a licence," he said. "I'd just go to the white-collar boxing people, who I was talking to. They really wanted to hold it in Scotland but I want to go down south. It's all just talk at the moment but I wouldn't be afraid to go through with it."

If Buchanan, who last fought in January of 1982 (a loss), really did climb back into a ring - any ring - at the age of 63 or 64, it would make the last "Rocky" film look like a not so farfetched idea after all!

Buchanan retired in 1982, and his record is 61-8(27).

el_tipo
Great topic!

And for your information, we selected it Best of the Boxing Boards for the week and it will be discussed on our radio show Sunday night (6 PM PST) over at www.theboxingtruth.com

Keep up the great discussions on this board.
WindyCityP
QUOTE (el_tipo @ Jun 7 2009, 12:48 AM) *
Great topic!

And for your information, we selected it Best of the Boxing Boards for the week and it will be discussed on our radio show Sunday night (6 PM PST) over at www.theboxingtruth.com

Keep up the great discussions on this board.

WOOO HOOO .............LOIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happygocampy
Emanuel Agustus vs Courtney Burton decision and The investigation afterwards with no action being taken to correct the most obvious wrong i ever witnessed in real time watching boxing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.