Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO not buying Wlad-Chagaev?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Big Slim Sweet
This is odd to me. I've never seen Chagaev but by all accounts when he can actually manage to drag his sickly ass into the ring he's a pretty good fighter. He's undefeated - unlike Haye. HBO was prepared to show Wlad fight Povetkian, who's much less accomplished. They showed Wlad beat up on journeymen like Tony Thompson and Ray Austin. But they've apparently rejected this fight and will now air nothing on June 20.

JD
Makes no sense. In the end, it's probably the most important heavyweight fight that could be made in right now...certainly more important than Wlad - Haye.
JonnyBlaze
Chagaev beat the guy who everyone thought wasn't going to be beaten because of his freakish size,Valuev..People were scared of him cause of his size..Chagaev has good boxing skills and needs to get his name in the heavyweight division more than it has been..He is probably the next best heavyweight after the Klitchkos but yet isn't talked about..Chagaev would whoop Arreola's ass but we keep hearing Arreola's name and not his..Povetkin is the next guy after Chagaev..
Mean Mister Mustard
I always thought of Chagaev as being a clone copy of Ibragimov but I'm probably wrong. It seems like the only Heavyweight fights HBO is willing to show are either a Klitshko v.s Klitshko match, Klit-Haye or a Chris Arreola fight.

Lil-lightsout
I saw Chagaev whip on Valuev, and he has some skills in the ring. i would think he is a worthy opponent for the Klit. Geez...HBO gave us fucking Rahman on top of Thompson and Austin for crying out loud.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 5 2009, 06:04 PM) *
I saw Chagaev whip on Valuev, and he has some skills in the ring. i would think he is a worthy opponent for the Klit. Geez...HBO gave us fucking Rahman on top of Thompson and Austin for crying out loud.

Now thinking about it,Chagaev is the best guy for one of the Klitchko's to fight..He may only be 6'1 but he knows how to get inside a taller opponents reach..W. Klitchko is probably the fastest 6'6-6'7 guy I've ever seen so it may be different with Wlad..
D-MARV
This sucks bad. The only thing I can think of is that HBO is hoping that Haye-Klit can still be made.
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jun 5 2009, 07:16 PM) *
This sucks bad. The only thing I can think of is that HBO is hoping that Haye-Klit can still be made.

Wlad has mandatories due, Haye is going to the back of the line.
D-MARV
Well I just read that Klitschko-Chageav is final.

I agree with JD... This is probably the most important fight that can be made within the heavyweight division.
salvador
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 5 2009, 06:01 PM) *
I always thought of Chagaev as being a clone copy of Ibragimov

That's exactly how I see him.

Chagaev has no chance against Wlad, but at the same time (as others here have said) it seems silly that Thompson and Rahman were worthy but Chagaev isn't. I can't help but believe that the problem is that Wlad's promotional team wants too much money from HBO. I'd love to see Showtime pick this up.
JD
I will guarantee this fight is broadcast in the States.

JonnyBlaze
Holy shit!!!This may be a good thing HBO doesn't want this fight..If ESPN jumps on it,we could have a unification heavyweight championship fight on ESPN..That would be MAJOR exposure for boxing..We can only hope now!!
Spyder
That won't happen if HBO has exclusive rights on Wlad.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 5 2009, 07:01 PM) *
I will guarantee this fight is broadcast in the States.

Damn!

Stupid move by HBO because it is still a heavyweight world title unification. JD, what network do you think will televise? This is a good example where ESPN, Spike TV, or FOX could get into the act. It might be a good idea to E-mail HBO and criticize their decision not to show the fight. They always talk about unification fights and Ring titles. Than when such a fight falls in their lap they don't take it?

Jack
JD
ESPN...ESPN Classic...Versus...MSG.

It will be on the States. HBO passed on it, Finkel will get something done for a live US broadcast.
lloyd mayflower
last time i watched chagaev he laboured to a decision over matt skelton, the dictionary definition of a fat bum. i think wlad will do serios damage to him. maybe not execute the pizza face, but damage none the less
JLUVBABY
you have to question hbo's execs. thoughts on some of these fights.. they'll serve us hopkins hakkar etc. kind of fights and some of the other garbage fights they've approved... holyfield cooper (which actually turned out to have some dramain it) etc.. but they wont approve a unifacation?...lol.. they are laughable..
Romulus9
HBO has right of first refusal. They passed, it's off to the races.

Obviously Showtime could be a player here but if ESPN or one of the networks could grab this, it could be HUGE for the sport. What was the last heavyweight title fight aired live on network TV? Moorer vs. Schulz on ABC? Cable has has Klitschko or whatever but if a network could grab it.... HUGE!

I'm hoping for ESPN. If it happens, get EVERYONE YOU KNOW to tune in. Very important.
WindyCityP
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 6 2009, 06:37 PM) *
HBO has right of first refusal. They passed, it's off to the races.

Obviously Showtime could be a player here but if ESPN or one of the networks could grab this, it could be HUGE for the sport. What was the last heavyweight title fight aired live on network TV? Moorer vs. Schulz on ABC? Cable has has Klitschko or whatever but if a network could grab it.... HUGE!

I'm hoping for ESPN. If it happens, get EVERYONE YOU KNOW to tune in. Very important.

No thanks, I've seen Klitschko vs Imbraginov already and I wouldn't wish that upon my own enemies to watch it.
Romulus9
QUOTE (WindyCityP @ Jun 6 2009, 01:45 PM) *
No thanks, I've seen Klitschko vs Imbraginov already and I wouldn't wish that upon my own enemies to watch it.

The ratings are good for the sport. Tell them to leave the TV on and go outside and watch grass grow. I really don't care. Just get the viewership numbers!
thehype
QUOTE (WindyCityP @ Jun 6 2009, 01:45 PM) *

Agreed...heavyweights suck donkey balls. I'm with HBO on this one. I'm liking some of their recent decisions...pass on this fight and pass on Jones vs. Lacy. Good call because I....really........am..........not..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh shit...look at that...just talking about Klitschko vs. Chagaev puts me to sleep.

laugh.gif

Anyway, like I was trying to say, I'm really not eager to see Klitschko vs. Chagaev.
Spyder
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 6 2009, 01:47 PM) *
The ratings are good for the sport. Tell them to leave the TV on and go outside and watch grass grow. I really don't care. Just get the viewership numbers!

That only works if you have a neilson box...and honestly, who do you know that has one of those?

Even the old books that they used to pass out, I have never known a person to have one of those...makes me wonder who gets them...
BGv2.0
HBO dumped this fight for good reason IMHO. Number 1....Raslan's sickly ass is in no way going to be a threat to Wlad. AND....number 2....the guy supposedly has Hep-B.

No network with this knowledge should sign on for this fight. Because then you set a standard that others will emulate. THE ONLY sanctioning body that will let him fight with that shit are the Germans....

AND....it's not like this will really clear anything up.....with all this BS "Champion in recess" while Valuev still had the belt.....it's all still going to be blurry nonsense after the smoke clears.

This is a total shit HW championship fight. The ONLY people that will get a boner about this are the Germans...
Jack 1000
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Jun 6 2009, 02:50 PM) *
HBO dumped this fight for good reason IMHO. Number 1....Raslan's sickly ass is in no way going to be a threat to Wlad. AND....number 2....the guy supposedly has Hep-B.

No network with this knowledge should sign on for this fight. Because then you set a standard that others will emulate. THE ONLY sanctioning body that will let him fight with that shit are the Germans....

AND....it's not like this will really clear anything up.....with all this BS "Champion in recess" while Valuev still had the belt.....it's all still going to be blurry nonsense after the smoke clears.

This is a total shit HW championship fight. The ONLY people that will get a boner about this are the Germans...

My views have also changed on the fight. At first I thought, "Big mistake for HBO to pass this up. with it being a unification fight for the heavyweight championship." But IF they have confirmed that Chagaev has Hepatitis B, that is some fucked up shit. I may be wrong, but I think there is some provision in the Ali Act (1996) which prevents boxers from fighting in USA jurisdictions with blood diseases such as this. The general public looking into this in all honesty really doesn't care about either of the Klitschkos. Remember brother Vitali's last fight on ESPN Classic, who's scheduling got shuffled around like a birdie in a Badminton Game? Juan Gomez? BORING! There's too many unknowns for either Klitschko or Chagaev, and the risk of it being a boring fight is very high. But HBO I believe does not want to be associated with broadcasting a fight with a combatant who has Hepatitis B. It just looks bad. HBO would face great blame by outsiders looking in for allowing this fight to happen. And the British Boxing Board of Control, who's jurisdictions are often times more cautious than the United States would blow a gasket at the very thought of this fight.

The German boxing commission really isn't a boxing commission, it's a band of three individuals. Wilfred Satherland, his own personal doctor Walter Wagner, and the other promoter Peter Kohl. That's about it. Throw enough money at the sanctioning bodies and they will approve this match, because there is no executive oversite over there to say, "NO." If some shit happens to Chagaev, HBO does not want to take on the responsibility with a health risk going on with one of the fighters.

From a medical standpoint, and the very likelihood that this will be a bore-fest, I now don't have a problem with HBO not accepting the broadcast of this fight. You can't overlook the Hepatitis issue, and that is a very strong concern.

Jack
JLUVBABY
from what i am understanding and i could be wrong but ruslan doesnt actually have hep-b... his blood is supposedly clean...
BGv2.0
I don't see how...it was not clean enough to pass the Finnish medical exam just a mere 2 weeks ago.
Lil-lightsout
I will be interested to see it regardless. Anyone know if it will be televised at all? I would rather watch a heavyweight title fight, than watch nothing at all. Wlad really got only about two weeks to adjust to fighting a southpaw now, that's got to help Chagaev's chances.
JLUVBABY
looks like hbo has picked up the klit. vs chag. fight...
Spyder
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 8 2009, 08:20 PM) *
looks like hbo has picked up the klit. vs chag. fight...

Where did you get that from?

Greenburg was pretty clear that he didn't want the fight...according to Rafael.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.