Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto vs Clottey predictions??
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
The Original MrFactor
Man, I'm surprised that there are no predictions or any talk about this fight. I think this fight has huge entertainment potential. Isnt it this Saturday?? I was really looking forward to this one. I'm picking Clottey by SD12. Tactical fight most of the night. Clottey's precision, jab and defense will be enough to get him by on the cards.
kingknockout
clottey by way of K.O.
Keith
this is a real tough one. if everything was well in cotto world i think he would be the easy pick. losing his trainer and the marg debacle makes it tough to pick him though. on the other hand, i think clottey has a tough time winning because he just doesnt look as crisp when he fights. good defense, great chin, solid puncher. if he can crank up the volume he can score a SD. But he wont and thats the way to beat cotto. volume punching. cotto also has the home crowd advantage, it can sway the judges a tad.

Cotto by UD on clean affective punching and ring generalship.
JD
If this fight weren't in NY, I would pick Clottey.

I am still wrestling with it right now.
Douchebag
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 10 2009, 06:18 AM) *
Man, I'm surprised that there are no predictions or any talk about this fight. I think this fight has huge entertainment potential. Isnt it this Saturday?? I was really looking forward to this one. I'm picking Clottey by SD12. Tactical fight most of the night. Clottey's precision, jab and defense will be enough to get him by on the cards.

SD for Clottey at the Garden a day before the Puerto Rican Parade...........................I don't see it. If its that tight its going to Cotto.
Douchebag
I am going to go out on a limb and say that Cotto is going to be back to form on Sat and show it. Clottey really isn't a presure fighter, he's more of a boxer which is good for Cotto, because Cotto is the better boxer IMO. Cotto by UD, just because respect Clottey's chin and defense.
lloyd mayflower
obviously cotto has the skills, but i worry about his tendency to fade in the last few rounds. from what little iv seen of clottey he looks well conditioned and will be in cottos face for the full 12. I still think tho that cotto will step up and win this one and look good doing it. Thats what i want to see as it will further add to the bottleneck at the top of the division that should lead to some top fights that will HAVE to get made
Douchebag
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 10 2009, 08:36 AM) *
obviously cotto has the skills, but i worry about his tendency to fade in the last few rounds. from what little iv seen of clottey he looks well conditioned and will be in cottos face for the full 12. I still think tho that cotto will step up and win this one and look good doing it. Thats what i want to see as it will further add to the bottleneck at the top of the division that should lead to some top fights that will HAVE to get made

Clottey tends to fade also another reason why I think Cotto takes it. Clottey doesn't have that "it" factor. He is the type of guy to always come short when it is all on the line.
Keith
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 10 2009, 08:31 AM) *
I am going to go out on a limb and say that Cotto is going to be back to form on Sat and show it. Clottey really isn't a presure fighter, he's more of a boxer which is good for Cotto, because Cotto is the better boxer IMO. Cotto by UD, just because respect Clottey's chin and defense.

i agree with you. cotto has not had a problem handling fighters that throw an equal or less amount of punches. mosley hit him with solid shots and cotto outboxed him. judah hit him with solid shots and cotto outworked and outboxed him. margs beat him with volume and pressure, neither of which clottey has shown he can do with that intensity.
EirbinX
Cotto by UD
thehype
Cotto by UD
Romulus9
First big fight of the summer! Boxing is never out of season but there's something about having those summer matchups that always create a little excitement.

The fact that this fight was scheduled along with the Puerto Rican Day Parade guarantees an environment that you always like to see for a fight. Big, loud, passionate, and any number of other adjectives that ultimately lead to an exciting night at the fight. Just like football, fighters feed off of those kinds of environments (especially when all of them are behind you!), and have been known to take their game to the next level, sometimes just enough to pull off what couldn't have been done otherwise.

Clottey has that defensive shell that is unlike anyone Cotto has been in there with to this point. Coming forward, hands high, elbows tight. Cotto is constant pressure, brute strength and almost irresistible force, ready to push his opponent through the ring post if possible. If these basic facts tell us nothing else, it all but ensures that we're going to see a fight at close quarters for as long as it goes.

A result that should be rationally ruled out is a quick KO. Cotto has more power than Clottey but both men take a great punch. So what, then? Most observers see this going the distance and there's not much cause to discount such an analysis. Clottey's work rate leaves much to be desired at times and that fact alone could be enough to cost him a decision in a close fight, especially one that is fought at close range for twelve rounds. Remember Tua-Ibeabuchi? Ike's workrate is likely what won him that fight, a result that is up for debate amongst those who watched it closely.

The biggest factor, for me anyway, is the body work of Cotto. Even against guys who do not focus heavily on the body, Clottey has shown a tendency to fade in the last third of fights. While the fade is not as severe as that of, say, Jermain Taylor after the bell to start round seven, the noticeable decline affects his abilities. Cotto has shown consistency throughout most fights, with the notable exception of the fight against Captain Plaster. These tendencies could be the single biggest determining factor on Saturday night. If Cotto manages a sustained body attack from the outset, the Clottey fade could be accelerated, with an onset before round eight or nine.

Simply stated, Miguel has something to prove. In fact, he has several things to prove. That he's not shot, that the Margarito fight didn't ruin him, that the performance against Jennings was an example of what is to come and not just a reflection of the creative selection of opposition, that he is still a force that every fighter at 147 should worry about. I believe that the body work of Cotto will work wonders, gradually breaking Clottey down and reducing his normally effective, efficient attack to a tendency to cover up, pick his spots to counter, and absorb more of Cotto's attack. As the final four rounds approach, the damage will have been done and whatever danger was presented to Cotto will have disappeared, much to the delight of the raucous crowd in his favor.

Cotto by late TKO or 116-112/117-111 UD.
PR316
Cotto via close decision. Clottey's hand speed advantage will give him some problems and I think in this back and forth fight we'll see, Cotto's harder punches will get him the close nod.
salvador
Clottey by close decision.

I think Cotto is going to have another come to Jesus moment in his career when he realizes that he can't hurt Clottey. I still think Cotto was damaged by Marg and his confidence will never be the same. Clottey's chin might just be as solid as Marg's and he's going to be able to counter Cotto with short heavy jabs.

Mean Mister Mustard
Both guys actually have somewhat similar defense. Cotto likes to keep his hands up high just like Clottey but the difference is he likes to move his head and upper body more. It has been said many times that Cotto is more versatile, he can either choose to box or duke it out with Clottey at close quarters. I think he's going to try both because from what I've seen with fighters who take on guys with that shell defense like Clottey they tend to try different things out because the 1st one usually doesn't work out.

Both guys tend to lose steam after the 8th round so it is going to come down to who can still fight well late. Margarito had his best moments against Clottey when he went to the body but Margarito has never been that smart a fighter and he kept going upstairs more than he should have. Cotto should make it a point to work downstairs more than upstairs.

Clottey might try and go after Cotto from round 1 and try and duplicate Margarito's plan. Difference is Margarito had more power and better stamina. The best counterpouncher Clottey has faced so far wsas Judah but Judah never tried to punch in between Clottey's blows and I expect Cotto to have more success doing that.

I'm going with Cotto by UD decision in a fight that will look a lot like a more competitive version of Vargas-Quartey where Vargas was just throwing leather and moving, never letting Quartey get set.
Nay_Sayer
IMO, Cotto doesn't have a single advantage over Clottey except for age - and when Cotto realizes he can't hurt Clottey, it'll be flashbacks from the Cheatarito fight.

Cotto, the so-called "pressure" fighter, will be in full retreat by the 6th round - but this time he'll be in front of a guy who has some defense to go along with his handspeed and power.

Clottey by UD or late stoppage...
woooooo
Clottey UD 116-112
kingknockout
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 10 2009, 08:49 AM) *
Clottey tends to fade also another reason why I think Cotto takes it. Clottey doesn't have that "it" factor. He is the type of guy to always come short when it is all on the line.

LOL u gotta be fuckin kiddin me? he doesnt have the "it" factor.....all this time this dude has been wantin that limelight, he finally gets his chance......wait till saturday...cus sunday your gonna be disappointed
kingknockout
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jun 10 2009, 01:57 PM) *
Cotto via close decision. Clottey's hand speed advantage will give him some problems and I think in this back and forth fight we'll see, Cotto's harder punches will get him the close nod.

how do we know really if cotto hits harder? you know how powerful clottey is?
Romulus9
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 10 2009, 10:12 PM) *
Not powerful enough to fucking stop Judah and that chinny Corrales who was about about 3 weight classes past his prime and shot.

Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 10 2009, 10:23 PM) *
Haha, yeah Judah is pretty chinny as well.

I'm not saying that Clottey can't stop Cotto, but a Clottey fan can hardly make a case for how strong and powerful he is when he can't stop Judah and Corrales who are both chinny and not big welters.

agreed. clottey is not a big puncher. respectable but not game changing. does he even have a signature ko at this point?
frankypc
If Cotto wins this fight and wins it good and convincingly will the ĘCotto is damaged goods after the Marg fightĘ rhetoric will finally end or it will always be brought up through out the rest of his career ad-nauseam?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 10 2009, 05:18 AM) *

Why are you surprised??The whole message board is basically talk of Floyd Mayweather,Pac-man,and Shane Mosley..Thanks for making this thread so we can start talking about something exciting..

This will be a very exciting fight..Clottey has accurate stuff but Cotto has become very good at blocking shots on his gloves..Clottey and Cotto both have very good jabs and I really want to see who's jab will take over..That one is a really tough call..I'll give the edge to Cotto in jabs..Clottey will be good to go all night while Cotto does fade late in fights(Margarito and Mosley to name 2) so this might make a difference..Clottey won't be going down in this fight in my opinion but Cotto might..I know Cotto doesn't want another tough fight like Marg and Mosley gave him,but I'm sure Clottey will give it to him..Cotto will need to box the whole night,it won't be smart for him to go toe to toe with Clottey in my opinion..He'll get worn down real bad for later in the fight..Clottey has Cotto's kryptonite punch,the uppercut!!This will make a huge difference in the fight if he gets it goin since Cotto does have problem with it..

I wouldn't be surprised if either won this fight..I really like both guys too..I'm going to pick Clottey by late round KO because of cumulative effect of uppercuts..I think we'll see Cotto moving backwards again in this fight..It'd be smart of him too since Clottey won't be moving back..
JonnyBlaze
I believe Cotto is the harder puncher..Looks like lots of talk about it so I thought I'd throw my opinion out there..
King Eugene
I'm going with Cotto by UD or maybe late stoppage. Clottey is tuff but I see Cotto wearing him down early with body shots and possibly stopping him.
Douchebag
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Jun 10 2009, 08:47 PM) *
LOL u gotta be fuckin kiddin me? he doesnt have the "it" factor.....all this time this dude has been wantin that limelight, he finally gets his chance......wait till saturday...cus sunday your gonna be disappointed

Sig Bet?
Lil-lightsout
This fight is just too damn hard to pick. I think Clottey has a decent chance to win by stoppage, but I will pick Cotto by close competative decision. I just think he is the better skilled fighter.
Imperius3
This is a very intriguing fight, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Clottey is much better defensively and that seals the deal for me. Yes, Cotto's offense is awesome, but I see most of it getting blocked, and I see Cotto getting countered pretty cleanly. Clottey has shown better chin and stamina, and I really don't trust Cotto's chin and stamina against someone as big and strong as Clottey. I definitely like Clottey's straight right and uppercut over Cotto's. This is a fight where nothing will surprise me. It should be a competitive fight, and I'm going to make a bold prediction here...

I believe Clottey will hurt Cotto, and the late rounds will be a question of survival for Cotto. And I think Clottey will stop him in the 12th. In two days time, Clottey will be the new champ.
BrutalBodyShots
Just reading the predictions here it seems almost a 50-50 split on who everyone thinks will win, and all agree for the most part that regardless of the winner it will be a competitive, close fight.

I agree too that the fight will be close, probably go to the cards and that either man is capable of walking away with the victory. That said, why the hell is Cotto a 5-2 favorite? Simple reason is that he's a bigger name than Clottey, and more people will be on Cotto because of who he is having not seen Clottey or knowing very little about him. Kinda reminds me of Trinidad being a 3-1 favorite over Hopkins. Anyway, given the odds it's very tough not to lay some dough down on Clottey... and that's what I plan to do. Anyone else?

Big Slim Sweet
I've got Clottey by clear UD. I'll be rooting for Cotto though.
Imperius3
Clottey is one of the most underrated fighters in the game today.

Saturday night, some mouths are going to drop.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Jun 11 2009, 08:07 PM) *
Clottey is one of the most underrated fighters in the game today.

Saturday night, some mouths are going to drop.

Clottey is going to lose.
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 11 2009, 08:48 PM) *

...and I think BAD!
Keith
i am already on record as saying cotto by UD. cotto has great boxing skills and above average power. he will be able to get through clotteys tough defense. but can clottey really hurt cotto. everyone wants to point to the margs fight to say he has no heart and will have flashbacks. i totally disagree. first, margs might of had loaded gloves but we cant say for sure. but one thing i can say with absolute certainty: margarito had to hit cotto over and over again before he submitted. margs threw 1000 puches over 11 rounds. is clottey capable of that? i dont think so. not even close.
Imperius3
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 11 2009, 07:48 PM) *

It's possible, and I respect your opinion. We'll just have to wait and see.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jun 11 2009, 02:53 PM) *
Just reading the predictions here it seems almost a 50-50 split on who everyone thinks will win, and all agree for the most part that regardless of the winner it will be a competitive, close fight.

I agree too that the fight will be close, probably go to the cards and that either man is capable of walking away with the victory. That said, why the hell is Cotto a 5-2 favorite? Simple reason is that he's a bigger name than Clottey, and more people will be on Cotto because of who he is having not seen Clottey or knowing very little about him. Kinda reminds me of Trinidad being a 3-1 favorite over Hopkins. Anyway, given the odds it's very tough not to lay some dough down on Clottey... and that's what I plan to do. Anyone else?

I think I will too...
The Original MrFactor
Is this going to be on PPV?
kidbazooka1
I see Cotto useing his superior boxing skill to take the early rds easly but by the middle rds Clottey's pressure will begine to get to Cotto and bust him up a bit but he'll be wise enough to move and not stand and bang with Clottey and eke out a close but well deserved decision.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 12 2009, 12:10 AM) *

oops i thought it was gonna be on PPV but just read it will be on HBO.
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 12 2009, 01:10 AM) *

nope...HBO WCB

Well atleast its free in the states.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 12 2009, 01:47 AM) *
Well atleast its free in the states.

I remember a while back Fitz explaining about how and what fights they get to see and I forget how it works. So anyway can Fitz or Stevenski or anyone else not in the States tell me if they get to watch this fight live or will they miss it due to no television? I would sure hate to miss this one.
lloyd mayflower
setanta sports are showing it in the uk, but seemingly they are on the brink of going bust, which sucks donkey dick since they are the only channel that shows anythin not involving brits. back to the old boxing blackout for me.
Douchebag
I think some people are having a little identity crisis with Joshua Clottey. When did he become this pressure fighter that everybody talks about?
Keith
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 12 2009, 08:58 AM) *
I think some people are having a little identity crisis with Joshua Clottey. When did he become this pressure fighter that everybody talks about?

i agree with you man. i cant wrap my head around this. simply because a fighter is moving foward the majority of the time doesnt qualify them as a pressure fighter. clottey is a defense first fighter imo. i am not sure you can be defense first and a pressure fighter at the same time. the "pressure" comes not only from moving foward but from the volume or quality of punches they throw, or in essence the uncomfortable pace they make their opponents fight at.

i havent seen clottey making his opponents terrible uncomfortable with volume or quality, and i cant really see him making cotto uncomfortable round after round. margs had to throw 90 punches a round over 11 rounds to provide the pressure necesary to make cotto uncomfortable.

has clottey ever thrown 90 punches in any round of any fight?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 12 2009, 02:52 AM) *
I wrote about how pissed I was in this thread.

http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.p...st&p=440230

They are inconstant, sometimes they show fights you don't expect and then they don't show certain fights you do expect. But one things for sure, we will always pay, lol.

Sorry man. So do you try and catch a stream, stay on a forum and hear updates as the fight is live, or just wait and see the result after it is over. Damn... you got to always pay too. That sucks.
Yucayeke
Me thinks that Clottey will have a way tougher night than most expect. That is not to say that Cotto will get a KO, but I think that Cotto wins UD on this one.

I saw him in the Bronx this week and he looks ripped and focused. I wholeheartedly hope this a banger of a fight though, would like to see Clottey pressure him to see if the margacheeto loss is still haunting him.
moscow bear
QUOTE (woooooo @ Jun 10 2009, 10:57 PM) *
Clottey UD 116-112

you know you can multiply your money by 9 if you really believe this will happen
Douchebag
QUOTE (moscow bear @ Jun 12 2009, 02:14 PM) *
you know you can multiply your money by 9 if you really believe this will happen

I'm not going to lie if I were a Clottey backer I would have stack up.
moscow bear
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 12 2009, 07:16 PM) *
I'm not going to lie if I were a Clottey backer I would have stack up.

But you are not, but anyhow it seems to be a value bet...
salvador
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jun 11 2009, 01:53 PM) *

You and I are on the exact same page. I've got $50 on Clottey at +260. I would have bet more on principle, but the truth is that I'm kind of rooting for Cotto just because I'd love to see Cotto-Pac or Cotto-Floyd sometime later this year.

Clottey by decision is +900 at Sportsbook.com. It's really hard for me not to throw another $50 down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.