Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best And Worst Refs in Boxing?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Best Active: Kenny Bayless, Steve Smoger, Tony Weeks, Stan Christoudoulou

Best Retired: Mills Lane (although I know a friend who hates him!) Arther Mercante Sr, Carlos Padila

Worst Active: Eddie Cotton

Most Inconsistent Active: Jay Nady, Mike Ortega

Worst Retired: Tony Perez

Most Inconsistent Retired: Joey Curtis

Single worst performance by a ref that I have ever seen: Roger Yanez (Benton-Garcia) Probably the sickest stomach turning late stoppage I have ever seen in boxing.

Note that I define Inconsistent as alternating between good to bad officiating.

Jack
Romulus9
Yanez almost got Benton killed. No question.

Retired, I think Mills Lane and Arthur Mercante Sr. are right at the top without a doubt. Totally agree. Kenny Bayless, Steve Smoger, and Tony Weeks are fantastic. Those are guys that command respect, get it, and stay out of the way as much as possible. I think Rafael Ramos in Texas is a great referee, and his job in the Marquez-Diaz fight in February was an officiating clinic. Great job. I always liked Mitch Halpern too. He's definitely missed. One guy who used to do a lot of fights in New York but isn't really around anymore is Ron Lipton, who I found to be quite good. He called the technical draw in the first Merqui Sosa vs. Prince Charles Williams war. Rudy Battle wasn't bad in his day either. Another guy who does a nice job but no one ever really mentions is Earl Morton. Carlos Padilla was a tough little guy, like Mills Lane, that didn't put up with any crap in the ring. Good call on Stanley Christodoulou as well, although he doesn't appear as often anymore. Here's a name for the good category, one of my favorite referees and one of my favorite boxing names ever: Frank Cappuccino.

It seems like the inconsistent category is the most full. Joe Cortez used to be a very good official but has slipped a bit. Jay "Shady" Nady... ugh. Michael Ortega can go either way. The same can be said for Wayne Kelly.

Richard Steele used to get every high profile fight in Vegas but after Chavez-Taylor I and Tyson-Ruddock I, that went by the wayside. Good referee who made two mistakes with the world watching.

In terms of flat out awful referees that are still active, two come to mind: Arthur Mercante Jr. and Laurence Cole. Dreadful. I admit that I do still groan when I see that Nady is working a fight, although he can have his good nights on occasion.

Joey Curtis. Wow. If the Dokes-Weaver stoppage wasn't ridiculous enough, he had plenty of other performances that left much to be desired. Tony Perez sucked too. Of course, the performances by Joe Louis as referee, especially for Frazier-Quarry, were pretty bad too.
salvador
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 12 2009, 03:27 PM) *
Best Active: Kenny Bayless, Steve Smoger, Tony Weeks, Stan Christoudoulou

Best Retired: Mills Lane (although I know a friend who hates him!) Arther Mercante Sr, Carlos Padila

Worst Active: Eddie Cotton

I agree with most of that, but I would add Mitch Halpern to the best retired list (I know, I know but let's keep it light) and I would take Mills Lane off of it.

As far as Lane is concerned, I can't get the Tyson-Holyfield fight out of my mind. What kind of ref allows a fight to go on when someone has his ear bitten off? The only answer I can come up with is the dirty kind. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it never made sense to me that that fight wasn't stopped immediately.
Romulus9
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 12 2009, 07:25 PM) *
I agree with most of that, but I would add Mitch Halpern to the best retired list (I know, I know but let's keep it light) and I would take Mills Lane off of it.

As far as Lane is concerned, I can't get the Tyson-Holyfield fight out of my mind. What kind of ref allows a fight to go on when someone has his ear bitten off? The only answer I can come up with is the dirty kind. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it never made sense to me that that fight wasn't stopped immediately.

From the standpoint of the rules, Mills was absolutely correct on that call. The bite was an intentional foul and two points were deducted. He consulted with Marc Ratner immediately, then went to Dr. Flip Homansky and asked if Holyfield could continue. The answer was yes, so the fight went on. Even with an intentional foul, if the foul is not severe enough to prevent the stricken fighter from continuing on, there's no automatic DQ. For instance, remember Terry Norris going nuts on Luis Santana because he thought Santana was faking (which he ABSOLUTELY was the first time, maybe not so much the second)? That's a nice example of why. Had Santana said he could continue, especially in the second fight, the fight would have gone on. No DQ.

Mills was right. As insane as that moment was, Mills got it right according to the black and white interpretation of the rules.

EDIT: What's interesting is how the end of the first Riddick Bowe-Elijah Tillery fight came out. Tillery was DQ'd for trying to kick Bowe, which probably should have just been a deduction considering the kick didn't really land flush... but NOTHING came about after Rock Newman pulled Tillery backward over the top rope. Rules. Weird.
salvador
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 12 2009, 06:42 PM) *
From the standpoint of the rules, Mills was absolutely correct on that call. The bite was an intentional foul and two points were deducted. He consulted with Marc Ratner immediately, then went to Dr. Flip Homansky and asked if Holyfield could continue. The answer was yes, so the fight went on. Even with an intentional foul, if the foul is not severe enough to prevent the stricken fighter from continuing on, there's no automatic DQ. For instance, remember Terry Norris going nuts on Luis Santana because he thought Santana was faking (which he ABSOLUTELY was the first time, maybe not so much the second)? That's a nice example of why. Had Santana said he could continue, especially in the second fight, the fight would have gone on. No DQ.

Mills was right. As insane as that moment was, Mills got it right according to the black and white interpretation of the rules.

I can't argue with you because I don't have a rule book with me (nor do I feel like looking it up right now), but I find it incredibly hard to believe that someone can get tossed out of a fight for two intentional low blows and only get a couple of points taken away for BITING OFF A GUY'S EAR.

happygocampy
I was thinking about this the other day, and i can't say there are any current refs i consider to be good, they all seem to be quite incompetent, it seems every fight card i watch i see a ref do something really stupid. Like on Fight Night yesterday one of the fighters took a huge shot, bent over as if they were going down, but didn't, however their glove touched the canvas for a sec and the short ref was right there with nothing blocking his view, and didn't call a knockdown.

Once in a while i see a good ref ive never heard of, like the ref for Berto vs Collazo, he wasn't afraid to do the right thing by taking points from Berto for slowing down the action, and that made it a much more exciting fight. I doubt we'll see much of ref's like that though, because the criticism he endured for enforcing the rules made him look like the bad guy. I heard people say that ref has probably never boxed before or he would'nt have taken a point away, to which i say, he probably bought tickets for a John Ruiz snoozefest in the past.

One thing that really peeves me about refs today is body punching. I swear almost every fight you hear them say "keep em up! keep em up!' when clean body shots are landed, why even warn the fighters unless they actually are hitting low?

Other than that the last competent ref i saw in my time was Mills Lane, he would make good calls and didn't look confused when something out of the ordinary happened.
Romulus9
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 12 2009, 08:47 PM) *
I can't argue with you because I don't have a rule book with me (nor do I feel like looking it up right now), but I find it incredibly hard to believe that someone can get tossed out of a fight for two intentional low blows and only get a couple of points taken away for BITING OFF A GUY'S EAR.

You actually proved the point.

DQ for repeated two low blows (repeated intentional fouls). No DQ for the bite (single intentional foul). Remember, Tyson was DQ'd after the second bite at the end of the round, meaning that the DQ came from repeated fouls.

If the issue was the severity of the foul, absolutely the DQ of Tyson would have come after the first bite. Think about it. Holyfield was actually no worse off after the second bite than he was after the first. Repetition rather than severity. Same thing with Akinwande getting DQ'd for repeated holding. Certainly intentional but DQ'd with repeated instances.

salvador
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 12 2009, 07:53 PM) *
You actually proved the point.

DQ for repeated two low blows (repeated intentional fouls). No DQ for the bite (single intentional foul). Remember, Tyson was DQ'd after the second bite at the end of the round, meaning that the DQ came from repeated fouls.

If the issue was the severity of the foul, absolutely the DQ of Tyson would have come after the first bite. Think about it. Holyfield was actually no worse off after the second bite than he was after the first. Repetition rather than severity. Same thing with Akinwande getting DQ'd for repeated holding. Certainly intentional but DQ'd with repeated instances.

I didn't prove anything. I still stand by the notion that there ABSOLUTELY HAS TO BE A PROVISION IN THE BOXING RULE BOOK that states that the ref has the authority to stop the fight if there is a foul so flagrant (like one that will permanently disfigure his opponent - and biting off a guy's ear off like a fucking gorilla would definitely qualify) that the boxing match is over. And if there isn't a specific provision, there certainly wouldn't be anyone in boxing who would complain for even a split second if Tyson had been disqualified for biting Holyfield's ear off.
iron_mike
I always liked and had respect for Cappucino, currently, Weeks and Bayless are at the top of my list..Nady made my stomach turn the way he used to throw in his trying to be funny remarks at the beginning pre fight instructions..Cortez 20 yrs ago was good, since the Soto Lorenzo debacle, he makes my skin crawl
Method
Worst - NADY, Runner Up - Cortez

Worst Retired - Dirty Dick Steele

Best - Smoger, Bayless
moscow bear
Best: Smoger

Worst: Cortez

I dont know why people hate Nady....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.