Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Most Disgusting (Non-Boxing) Sports Outcomes in History?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Jack 1000
The big stand-out for me was the famous 1972 Gold Medel Olympic Basketball game between the USA and the Soviet Union. That is the classic controversial ending where the United States appeared to have won the game, but the Russians persuaded the officials to allow three seconds to be put back on the clock, twice because they were illegally given a time out with one second remaining Than after they got their first three seconds "do over" and failed to score, the clock they claimed was not properly reset, so they got another "do over." They won on a blatant foul by knocking over the two American defenders as Russian Sergio Belov made the "winning?" basket.

Even worse, it was the head of the Olympic Basketball Federation, Dr. R. William Jones, who according to International Olympic rules had no authority to interfere in the contest, who twice insisted on the two three-second do over's for the Russians. He violated his own international rules by allowing the last three seconds to be replayed until the Soviets won.

The USA team appealed the decision, but three communist nations upheld the Russians win by a 3-2 vote. The American team voted unanimously to refuse their Silver Medals. They lay unclaimed in a Swiss vault to this day.

If you ever want to see the elements of this game, interestingly presented from both American and Soviet viewpoints, check out the outstanding documentary on HBO, called "O3 From Gold." On two occasions ESPN Classic has replayed this incredible game in its entirety as well.

I think the USA got robbed and that the team did the right thing by refusing the Silver Medals.

Jack
Lil-lightsout
Watched that special too, very sad.

That Raiders-Patriots championship game in 2002 I think? The fumble/strip bullshit call.

Monica Seles getting stabbed during a match.

That hockey player cheapshotting that other guy hitting him with his stick right in the head.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 13 2009, 01:38 AM) *
In the 2002 world cup in the knock out stage. When Australia were dominating Italy for the game who had 10 men and at about the 90th minute are given a gift penalty.

That was a pure shocker & as far as I am concerned blatant cheating. Never forgive & never forget.

One of the worst for me was the 1996 ARL Grand Final which was one of the worst most blatant displays of cheating & gamesmanship

Referee Eddie Ward, overseeing his first grand final, blew time on that afternoon and later awarded the Bulldogs two dubious tries and was the centre of controversy. The first try came from a blatant forward pass, while the match-winning second try by Glen Hughes was scored on the seventh tackle (you can only make six tackles in a set before the ball is turned over).

I am still filthy on that Grand Final. The 1997 one was just as bad when Manly were beaten by a team who had several players test positive for steroids.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 12 2009, 08:38 PM) *
In the 2002 world cup in the knock out stage. When Australia were dominating Italy for the game who had 10 men and at about the 90th minute are given a gift penalty.

maybe if the Aussies could have turned their dominance into a goal, they wouldn't have lost. They had all game to score, it's not Italy's fault they couldn't get a ball past Buffon
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jun 13 2009, 06:28 PM) *
maybe if the Aussies could have turned their dominance into a goal, they wouldn't have lost. They had all game to score, it's not Italy's fault they couldn't get a ball past Buffon

Maybe if the Italians were not fucking divers & played in the spirit of the game................................................................
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 13 2009, 10:38 PM) *
Maybe if the Italians were not fucking divers & played in the spirit of the game................................................................

Ahh, losers always bitch about the spirit of the game
Big Slim Sweet
Scottie Pippen's horseshit foul on Hubert Davis to give the Knicks game 5 against the Bulls in the 1994 playoffs.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Big Slim @ Jun 17 2009, 12:10 PM) *
Scottie Pippen's horseshit foul on Hubert Davis to give the Knicks game 5 against the Bulls in the 1994 playoffs.

I hated that fucker Hubert Davis. Didn't he go to Duke? Wasn't he the dude that they keep showing every time Christian Laetner(SP?) hitting that game winning inbound shot from Grant Hill?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I'm still kinda young (20), so not too many sports events have been too disturbing. Though, in 4th grade when the Packers lost the super bowl to the Broncos I got tons of shit in school the next coming weeks. They were huge favorties in that game, but they couldn't stop shit on defense that day. Terrell Davis scored a friggin touchdown blind, and Elway had all the sentimental shit going into that game. Makes me sick as a packer fan that they haven't gotten back to the super bowl since, and I really think it's haunted Brett Favre the rest of this career. They really had it in 03 and 07, but 4th and 26 and Favre's pick really screwed them. So that one really did a number.

Another game that sucked balls was when the gopher basketball team made it to the NCAA tourney for the first time in like 6 years. They played Iowa St., and just went out there and layed an egg. They should have never lost that game, but Rico Tucker kept turning the damn ball over, and coach wouldn't take him out right away. I'm going to the U of M (carlson) next year, so ill be at these games and they gonna have a good team.

Im a cubs fan so I could post all sorts of games that suck for them. However, their whole franchise seems fucked so I wont even touch that one.

One last game. It happened in October of last year. The twins and white sox had a one game playoff, and the winner played in the wild card series against Tampa. The twins won the season series, so it was bullshit to start when they had to play the game in Chicago. Then, they could barley get a hit that night, and the offense just sputtered. Jim Thome hit a solo homerun, and that was the whole game. The sox won 1-0, then went on to get beat by Tampa. What made it worse was the Twins swept the Sox the week before that at the dome to make up a 3 game defecit in the AL Central. If the MLB actually had a tiebreaker rules the Twins would A: Be in the playoffs or B: At least have the game played in the dome, which would have been rockin and been a huge homefield advantage. I like the one game playoff thing, as it creates drama, but they really need to get away from flipping a coin to determine home field advantage.

Great thread by the way, I could list so many other games, but I'll give others a shot.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:05 PM) *
I hated that fucker Hubert Davis. Didn't he go to Duke? Wasn't he the dude that they keep showing every time Christian Laetner(SP?) hitting that game winning inbound shot from Grant Hill?

I think that fucker from Duke's name was Thomas Hill. The one crying on the sideline like "Oh my god Christian Laettner's so amazing. I love him so much."

Hubert Davis was a mediocre shooting guard for the Knicks who put up a hopeless falling down 3-pointer with the Bulls up by 2 and about a second left in game 5 of the 1994 conference semi-finals. The refs called a foul on Scottie Pippen even though replays clearly showed there was no contact (you didn't need a replay either it was a ridiculously bad call). Davis made all 3 free throws and the Knicks won the game.
Maxy
The "Hand of God" back in 86 for anyone who knows proper football.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.